Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SecretPro

Shifting Belly Fat

On 09/09/2023 at 17:14, Unabomber said:

Best way to lose weight is to use IF and just skip breakfast. You can then have a decent lunch and big dinner and still be under your calories. This is best for people who have big appetites. 

maybe just have a banana at breakfast, I don't think a big dinner is going to help if you sleeping on it.

I got myself that Cardometer app and am using it. Protein is an absolute sod to come by and fit into the diet, I feel. 

But I'm shifting my exercise regime to be more weights and less reliance on running.

The new plan is 3 gym sessions a week, with weights, maybe a 20 minute treadmill run to start. Then another 6-8 miles per week pure outdoor running and some skipping thrown in. 

• Like 1

On 04/09/2023 at 16:36, SecretPro said:

Cheers Babs - I think I'm definitely going to have to focus on the weights with a bit of cardio as and when my knees allow

Sedentary jobs means I snack way to much, even if when I'm at home its quite healthy. I definitely need to cut intake.

I'll have to find a hill to walk up and down!

Superb info! Thank you!

Sounds very similar to me!

I should have said, I'm type one diabetic - so I have the issue of exercise affecting (dramatically) my blood sugar levels and then the issue of trying to get my blood sugars up without consuming copious amounts of sugar afterward. It's what I;d say is the worst part of being Diabetic. I'm a hiker, obsessed with hill/mountain climbing and Ideally I'd love to do more multi-day hikes and wildcamping but the amount of food I have to consume even during just a 5 hour hike is frankly ridiculous! The fitter I get the further I can go on less food but it's still always going to be an issue! It's a depressing aspect of the illness. I remember Steve Redgrave having to consume literally a bucket of Jelly Babies to get through a race...

Basically it's hard to create a calorie deficit being type 1 because you always have to consume food to keep everything balanced, the slightest bit of exercise etc can means your bloods drop and then you need to eat extra, likewise stress can affect blood sugars etc. So many factors!

As a type1 diabetic myself, I hope I can help 

I'm quite skinny but have always had a bit of a gut even though I'm very active (weekly Sunday league midfielder, 1x hiit session a week, twice a week gym, daily 30 min dog walks and children

The things that I changed and saw making a difference were 

Changing from doing big weight deadlifting and squatting into doing high intensity kettlebell circuits 

Doing 2 times hiit sessions on pelaton or sprints on football pitch 

Inclusion of 1 x core workout 

Croissants and crisps are my guilty please - so cutting these down 

Cutting down beer

Eating more vegetable orientated meals, less meat meals in the week. Focusing day time snacks around fruit and nuts( sounds boring but is actually nice once you get into it)

I was also on insulin injections and was moved over to insulin pod therapy, though there was a frustrating 6 month period of adjusting, the better sugar levels now are benefiting me with more energy and possibly reducing the fat on me

The workouts I've mentioned above I try to keep within 20-30 mins so I make the most of the time and go hard in that time 

Happy to discuss further if you wanted to ask qs or dm me 

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

I got myself that Cardometer app and am using it. Protein is an absolute sod to come by and fit into the diet, I feel. 

But I'm shifting my exercise regime to be more weights and less reliance on running.

The new plan is 3 gym sessions a week, with weights, maybe a 20 minute treadmill run to start. Then another 6-8 miles per week pure outdoor running and some skipping thrown in. 

I struggled with protein - the balance if you are runner is hard. Weight is falling off at the mo with the long distance running but it’s likely to level back up when the distances go down and the gym weights go up agai. 

11 hours ago, whoareyaaa said:

maybe just have a banana at breakfast, I don't think a big dinner is going to help if you sleeping on it.

It all depends on the individual and their appetite. I prefer to eat more later so I’m full. Wouldn’t want to eat a big breakfast and then be starving in the evening and not having any calories left to eat. At the end of the day it doesn’t matter at all when you eat as long as you are in a deficit for the day. 

Edited by Unabomber
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Unabomber said:

It all depends on the individual and their appetite. I prefer to eat more later so I’m full. Wouldn’t want to eat a big breakfast and then be starving in the evening and not having any calories left to eat. At the end of the day it doesn’t matter at all when you eat as long as you are in a deficit for the day. 

I agree nothing worse than going to bed hungry 

6 hours ago, Unabomber said:

Fair, I never eat breakfast really, just lunch and dinner but still have a bit of a gut.. even though I only weight about 12 stone I think lol 

I think if I can cut out beer, bread, potato/chips etc I should be okay, I've started eating fruit through the day and just have one big dinner around 6/7pm but didn't know if sleeping on it was helping or not.

On 04/09/2023 at 16:54, StriderHiryu said:

@SecretPro I found I had this problem a lot too, in that all round I was in pretty good shape but still had those dreaded love handles. I would try and overdo it with Cardio, but all this really led to was looking gaunt and too thin, and still having the same proportions. During Covid on this site we had a Foxes Talk running club and I was posting some pretty insane distances, but it didn't really solve the problem. For me it was better to start doing weights and develop muscles instead. It boosted my metabolism and helped shift it.

At the end of the day everyone is different though and not all approaches work for everyone. Some people are blessed with great genetics that mean they either build muscle easily or don't put on weight, and then sadly some people like me clearly have Potato farmer genetics where you can baloon up in size very quickly indeed.

Potato farmers never do their own harvesting,or try to employ men for the job. The best root veg pickers,are either M/C's or those super magicians in our life's..women.Men don't have the right muscles or backbone for it.

Experienced Gypsies,harvest pickers have learnt over centuries what crops men &women are made for.

Potato-picking would be great for your waist,but terrible for your back.

:whistle:

I have always carried a small tyre,even in my superfit sport & physical days.Even back in the 7Os there we the electrical pulse-stomach devices.They worked for me,but I lost my discipline and given time for them.Todays devices seem ok,but like everything else too little or too much,can get people concentrating too much on one thing.y wife and family were farmers,their father superfit until he passed on 82yrs of age,after being one of many German-East front soldiers who suffered and did the long march back through the terrible winter,frostbite accounting for toes,but still stood firm & worked & drove later on his farm..My wife & sisters petite,beautifull  but as strong & fit  as Oxes,physically & mentally.Not one now under 50, a couple over 70..No stomach pig or beer belly.

For us mortals,no end of modern info over books or YouTube/internet..

Being ex-sportsman and extreme trekker,never found that one magic formulae..But mainly I would say...

Don't be too over anxious or worried,it's more about keeping fit,whether Stout,lythe or simple tyre carrier.

Looking handsome,or a perfect model figure  will often see you sooner  dead or struggling through later life.Though many ailments can knock on everybody's doors.more the reason not to chase your or society's waste of times to follow the best swimming-trunk line

.looking superfit is often the certificate of early  the death of Mr/Mrs perfect.

Oh & casual lifting weights,running won't keep mr dunlop away. Only for top lifters or above average runners will it help. Love-handles are there for both the wearer & holder-oners, plus grandads..:dunno: innit..lol

19 hours ago, fox_up_north said:

18 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

I struggled with protein - the balance if you are runner is hard. Weight is falling off at the mo with the long distance running but it’s likely to level back up when the distances go down and the gym weights go up agai. 

Protein shakes. Some really nice flavours around and they fill you up. I have 2/3 a day.

4 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

Protein shakes. Some really nice flavours around and they fill you up. I have 2/3 a day.

Loads of sugars and crap in them ???

How much of the protein in the shakes are actually utilised into "real" protein?

• Like 1

My bro used to leave protein shakes in his room half drank for a few days. 

Never smelt anything so bloody awful. 

I'm building my own garage gym at the moment, currently nearly cleared it. Going for a power rack w cable system and weights, treadmill, exercise bike (hooking my mountain bike up to a turbo trainer) and a little free weight area. 

Adamant that if it's in my house it'll make me make a change for good! Always tend to stick to a gym for a few weeks then fall off big time. 

16 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

Full of cr*p - sweetners, bulking agents, E numbers. Just eat real food!

There was a programme about Ultra Processed food on BBC a while back, shows how damaging UPF are - I've cleaned up my diet a lot since watching that, they are so damaging for your health. I used to probably eat 70% crap 30% ''healthy'' and now I'd say thats reversed. Still eat UPF but a lot less. 

This isn't a vegan-esq lecture just something I picked up on. 

You can make your own protein shakes, based on what I've read. Just shove some berries, nuts, protein powder and a liquid (milk, water, etc) in a blender. 

Getting that protein intake is a bugger but I'm trying a few things. The calorie counter seems to be having some early success - steadied my weight down about 0.5-1kg since I started last week.