Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
alfox13

VAR

4 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

There is nothing wrong with VAR in theory, just the gimps running it.

To say VAR is bad is like saying democracy is bad, but in reality it’s because of the feckless, self-serving  implementers - isn’t that right <insert Conservative politician name>?

Agree with this. Certainly for offside I look forward to the system and officials using VAR to improve. I'm still thankful it was in place for our FA Cup win and they got that one right.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

I suppose i mean 'never' under the Stockley Park regime.  The miniaturisation of Tech and the implementation of AI are 2 different streams (although, i argue the smartphone hasn't changed much in the last 5 years).  AI to interpret law, rules and individual intent in sport is another step change beyond the capabilities of those implementing VAR. I mean, these are people who seem to 'get off' drawing sh1tty lines on a graining video to determine offside when the technology already exists to do it in near real time. How would they deal with a machine that tells them to send off Man City players when they do one of their early cynical fouls on a counter attacking team because it understands what the player did better than they do.

If one of the tech giants does implement an AI that can judge rules/law based on its understanding of the situation (intelligence, not inferring from trained models), and can accurately determine a player should be sent off for foul play instantly, or that handball was intentional, then the technology should be implemented in far more places than just football.  Football won't be driving that technology.

My frustration is the VAR team should use what is available to implement quick decisions where next to no interpretative information is needed (offside is one of these), and then all the information they have could be used for retrospective punishments leaving the on pitch officials to judge the game the best way they can. Promising that 'one day' it all might come good isn't right imho, we shouldn't be waiting several minutes for an offside decision in 2023/4. 

Also, am i the only one who thinks its rubbish that VAR officials manage their part of the game off site in Stockley Park? I've always felt that those officiating the game should work as a team and manage the game together.  I don't understand why they can't do their bit from a dedicated room at the ground, and physically interact with the on pitch officials pre match, at half time and for the match retrospective. Technology or no technology, good communication is always key.

Fair arguments all.

The system really needs to be better, but for me it's always going to be a case of reform and replace, rather than abandonment for some idealistic motive about what football "should be".

• Like 1

Disillusioned.. That mature professionals can make a sows ear from a silk purse,with instruction manual included.

Then fail on every stroke of Time & motion criterium,that Coventry car workers couldn’t even match…

I can see one positive thing that could be said is born on the back of the VAR system.. justified unpaid overtime. The extra minutes added on in both halves..

Then again your average footballer is so dumb,instead of improving their response

upon their time penalties,they unwittingly ( what footballer has shown any type of wit off-field)…

They have allowed  it to mould within their ranks,where they themselves become

alone responsible to higher chance of Yellow or red cards, worse still more time on pitch to suffer late niggling or career postponing injuries,because they can’t work out..5 + minutes or more is more detrimental to their own well being..

I am a fan, I love it…!!

unless I have to catch xx:07 transport back home.

or last rights because one’s late for kids or wife‘s special day..

All complications of tactics and the great computed Nrs in any given system,but can’t work out..unnecessary minutes have dire consequences on injury,cards,losing the match,( more than chance of winning) it’s like bowling a ten ball over,it effects

everybody….You wombles.!

& Var desciscions should mean as easy as black n white..Any other move or delay

leads directly to moral corruption.

I am now more sure whether First minute ot last minute,any delay should lead to

sin bin for the ref,any mis use of rescources Ref & linesman,not demote a league under,but 2-3 leagues under for a month.

Though before this judging of refs & team,his power must be returned to him,The ref makes final descision ,not VAR,he has no longer than 30 seconds max to come to that descision….28 seconds longer than on pitch descision…

VAR descisions are away from match and belated finds or reassessment if necessary of both yellow & Red cards. Ref goes to monitor under rules he sees fit, (but agreed & written down before season/tournament begin.)

Gameday ONLY it’s the ref & his team alone have fixed times for end descisions.

No further distant shoebox descisions,only short help,with it needs looking at again.

With we don’t know,we have only seen something that might help attitude.

Unless ref himself requests I did not see the issue,please give me the angles so I or linesman can decide.That then  becomes Gods law..even for spec-saver bias fans..

All refs & Linesman & authorities  go on regular courses, showing the difference of perspective in slow motion replays & real time..there are whole Encyclopedia on the psychological perspectives on the subject..

The alround technology is there,we can improve on descisions,but not by pushing

descisions made from only TV or VAR..Its a physical sport with common sense refs.

VAR rulings & deliberation are confusing the issue,including various bias‘es in those

VAR boxes,they have grabbed too much of the power but without consequence.

Again Return end descision to gameday ref-team only,with side line monitor help,with 4 th ref monitoring agreed time..!
Then penalties when  not adhering to it…

There are more crass diabolical descisions today since VAR,because authorities wanting a slice of cake that doesn’t belong to them.. „Descision“ should not wander from field or stadium…The ref is God on gameday and should be respected..from all

and sundry. 

I would also give him a Micrphone for major issues if any to the stadium speakers, but not every single issue..

The fans could play their part by first giving the idea time to bed in..

but usually on gameday every fan is from Essex & a chav,who knows everything..

VAR is like Boris Johnson giving power to his advisors,that the electorate didn’t ever agree with…

• 1 month later...

Me personally.....I prefer the game without VAR.  Yes I know it helped us win the cup but even so I'd rather see the game without it.  

Over the course of a season I'm pretty confident for every dubious penalty or offside against you, there will be the same amount for your team.  It evens itself out.  At least without it, you can let loose when you score.....if it's in its in.  That's it.  

And let's face it, over the past 130 odd years the game has done ok to become the most popular game on the planet without VAR.  I can live with the odd bad reffing decision if it means we keep that passion and avoid the tedious delays. Do away with it.  It's been great in the championship without it.

• Like 1

The misapplication of VAR In Belgian Pro-League has led to Anderlecht (who have a certain Schmeichel in goal)  v Genk being replayed.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/jan/27/misapplication-of-laws-var-error-leads-to-full-replay-of-anderlecht-genk-belgium

Could this lead to similar outcomes in other countries?  

Certainly in Belgium (and possibly beyond) this could be a dangerous precedent - could there really be any difference between ref making errors and VAR errors? Although I am very unhappy with VAR, this may need UEFA to intervene to stop outcomes of games being subject to appeal.

6 minutes ago, oxford blue said:

The misapplication of VAR In Belgian Pro-League has led to Anderlecht (who have a certain Schmeichel in goal)  v Genk being replayed.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/jan/27/misapplication-of-laws-var-error-leads-to-full-replay-of-anderlecht-genk-belgium

Could this lead to similar outcomes in other countries?  

Certainly in Belgium (and possibly beyond) this could be a dangerous precedent - could there really be any difference between ref making errors and VAR errors? Although I am very unhappy with VAR, this may need UEFA to intervene to stop outcomes of games being subject to appeal.

As the article above says the decision was factually wrong in how the rules are applied regarding encroachment

Not just because they gave a decision differently to how some might have viewed it .

Could never replay a game based on a subjective decision surely ?

You could re play every game then !

• 1 month later...