Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
alfox13

VAR

13 minutes ago, adam said:

Bloody terrible idea those sin bins.

We just want a game of football like we used to have. It's getting ridiculous now. The beauty of football was that it was the same game whether it was played on a Sunday morning or as a professional. Now it’s a complete mess.

Teams will just time waste and sit back for 10 minutes or get someone from the opposing team sin binned .

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Teams will just time waste and sit back for 10 minutes or get someone from the opposing team sin binned .

I didn't even think about the amount of time wasting for those 10 minutes. Bloody hell.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

It really isn't. I've never understood this idea that it's good for TV.

I agree it’s even more stupid when watching on tv and after one replay you see what should be called, yet it takes VAR about 5 mins of pissing about. They still sometimes get it wrong anyway so you’re left thinking wtf is this point. I absolutely hate VAR, it is ****ing shit.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, adam said:

I didn't even think about the amount of time wasting for those 10 minutes. Bloody hell.

If they are to introduce sin bins and I am agnostic in it myself, then they must remove time keeping from referee and ensure the clock is stopped whenever the ball is out of play it will soon become a joke.

VAR started out as a shambles and yet the original iteration of it is the best they've managed to achieve yet. It really is quite spectacular how they manage to make it worse every single time they change something with it. The cluelessness was summed up by that whole silly rhetoric of "it will be better if the refs go over and have a look at the monitor" which they decided to start doing and guess what? It got even worse.

Their latest suggestions. It's so bad now it's just laughable at this point. You really wonder if they're overreaching now, going so far with the ridiculousness of it that we might finally be able to get rid of it. A year ago I thought we were stuck with this forever but I'm more hopeful now that we may actually get rid of it. I can only assume it's still in place to alienate a particular demographic of fan and turn them away, because it's clearly not for anything beneficial to the experience.

• Like 3

It’s one of the biggest positives of not being in the top flight, absolutely hate it, ruins the flow of the game, kills the atmosphere when a goal is scored, has diluted the refs authority and quality of decision making and most of all is getting so many decisions wrong. Absolute shambles. 

last nights penalty decision was a shocker no way Livramento can be penalised for the ball ricocheting from his chest on to his forearm awful decision, how the ref didn’t have the bollocks to stand by his decision I will never know. It’s so bad now it is bordering on corruption. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Plastik Man said:

But isn't that what they try and do now after a sending off? Just not for 10 minutes but the rest of the match?

Fair point !

I think the main issue will be how it’s used consistently wise .

We’ll have the same old problem of one ref thinking a tackle is worth a sin bin but another not for exactly the same sort of incident.

17 hours ago, adam said:

Bloody terrible idea those sin bins.

We just want a game of football like we used to have. It's getting ridiculous now. The beauty of football was that it was the same game whether it was played on a Sunday morning or as a professional. Now its a complete mess.

Can you imagine the diving and faking injury you will get with a sin bin! 

35 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

The VAR official who made the penalty call last night has been removed from duty this evening...

https://x.com/SkySports_Keith/status/1729801026083946771?s=20

Doesn’t help Newcastle who could lose millions in funding being knocked out of the Champions League tonight if other results don’t go their way !! 

Orange Cards and Sin Bins could work but honestly they should just ask refs to consistently apply the rules that already exist. 

Yellows for anything cynical/unsporting: 

- Simulating

- Shirt pulls 

- cynical foul stopping attack

- delaying quick free kick 

- time wasting after a warning (at any point in the match not just the final 10 minutes) 

- waving imaginary cards

- failing to move away from the ref when instructed to do so 

I think the idea of disposing of VAR and getting "our game back" isn't thought through.

"Our game" was lots of diving, farcical penalty box antics at free kicks. Managers would moan about offside calls - stating "marginal" is still offside. Players will be buying penalties left, right and centre. Red cards would be "ruining games". I think fans are deluding themselves if they will be any happier.

That said, I do think things could be done better/quicker. And that is what they should do.

And ffs why can't they just stop the clock like they do in rugby - it makes so much more sense.

7 minutes ago, ourla said:

I think the idea of disposing of VAR and getting "our game back" isn't thought through.

"Our game" was lots of diving, farcical penalty box antics at free kicks. Managers would moan about offside calls - stating "marginal" is still offside. Players will be buying penalties left, right and centre. Red cards would be "ruining games". I think fans are deluding themselves if they will be any happier.

That said, I do think things could be done better/quicker. And that is what they should do.

And ffs why can't they just stop the clock like they do in rugby - it makes so much more sense.

VAR is not going to be disposed of. There's no way they're going to turn back the clock to when refs were allowed to make horrendous decisions on the field that weren't corrected even though it was immediately obvious a mistake was made. Not a chance.

But it clearly has to work much, much better. I've no idea why the VAR decided to intervene last night, but it would have helped if his discussion with the ref was broadcast live, as they do in rugby, so that at least the crowd understood why the decision was made.

6 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

VAR started out as a shambles and yet the original iteration of it is the best they've managed to achieve yet. It really is quite spectacular how they manage to make it worse every single time they change something with it. The cluelessness was summed up by that whole silly rhetoric of "it will be better if the refs go over and have a look at the monitor" which they decided to start doing and guess what? It got even worse.

Their latest suggestions. It's so bad now it's just laughable at this point. You really wonder if they're overreaching now, going so far with the ridiculousness of it that we might finally be able to get rid of it. A year ago I thought we were stuck with this forever but I'm more hopeful now that we may actually get rid of it. I can only assume it's still in place to alienate a particular demographic of fan and turn them away, because it's clearly not for anything beneficial to the experience.

The ref going over to the monitor is just a crazy ritual that serves no purpose. It was bought in to try and solve a problem, it didn’t, but they persist with it. It’s a pantomime.

It’s just like the rather antiquated idea that the victim of a foul should receive treatment on the pitch, then run off it, and ask for permission to come back on. Ridiculous.

They’ve become steps in a dance that we just accept. Mad! 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, 5waller5 said:

The ref going over to the monitor is just a crazy ritual that serves no purpose. It was bought in to try and solve a problem, it didn’t, but they persist with it. It’s a pantomime.

It’s just like the rather antiquated idea that the victim of a foul should receive treatment on the pitch, then run off it, and ask for permission to come back on. Ridiculous.

They’ve become steps in a dance that we just accept. Mad! 

Well it would be a good idea if they changed their decision more in the right way as in the Everton/Man U game but sometimes they do it for the sake of doing so or don’t get called at all when they ought to be .