Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
alfox13

VAR

1 hour ago, 5waller5 said:

The ref going over to the monitor is just a crazy ritual that serves no purpose. It was bought in to try and solve a problem, it didn’t, but they persist with it. It’s a pantomime.

It’s just like the rather antiquated idea that the victim of a foul should receive treatment on the pitch, then run off it, and ask for permission to come back on. Ridiculous.

They’ve become steps in a dance that we just accept. Mad! 

Its funny, but in the early days of VAR i remember that PL refs didn't use the monitors much, and it was something that there was some criticism of. Now as you say, its that stupid procession of almost justifying why the decision must be overturned.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Andy W said:

Only happened once as far as I can remember (don't know the game)

It's clear that refs need to be trained so they understand that being asked to review an incident on the monitor is just an opportunity to see it again - they still have the freedom to decide either way. This should be obvious but most refs don't seem to grasp it.

Edited by ClaphamFox
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ClaphamFox said:

It's clear that refs need to be trained so they understand that being asked to review an incident on the monitor is just an opportunity to see it again - they still have the freedom to decide either way. This should be obvious but most refs don't seem to grasp it.

Why do they need to be trained? They just need to have an average IQ. 

Oh wait. 

1 hour ago, ClaphamFox said:

Psychologically this is always going to be a problem though.  Fans and pundits are foever shouting we want consistency.  So when  a referee is called by a fellow referee to review they are always going to think,  well they would have given it/not given it, so to satisfy the consistency shout I am going to have to change my mind.  Not sure any amount of training will change that until fans/pundits accept that while the rules remain subjective,  there will be a degree of inconsistency.

• Like 1

Guest foxestalkisfullofidiots
22 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

It really isn't. I've never understood this idea that it's good for TV.

Your missing my point, I’ve always been against VAR, I think most fans didn’t want it,  for me you can’t make football a sterile game and it doesn’t have many natural breaks, it’s ruined the game to the point where I’ve had enough of watching premier league games and I probably will give up my season ticket at the end of the season and I’ll just go watch lower league football on my Saturdays but it is good for TV because it turns it in to a drama rather than a game and gives all the pundits a talking point, take the pen last night against Newcastle, it’s all the sports channels have talked about all day, like my original point, it’s gold for TV but kills the game for proper football fans who attend the games.

As a general point I don’t think fans and clubs would just accept losing to an offside goal or a dive penalty as it meant fans of the other team could celebrate properly or there was no hanging around tbh .

Particularly if it was a real shocker .

And I wouldn’t expect them too either .

But it is pointless having a system which creates more confusion, controversy and debate than ever .

8 hours ago, foxestalkisfullofidiots said:

Your missing my point, I’ve always been against VAR, I think most fans didn’t want it,  for me you can’t make football a sterile game and it doesn’t have many natural breaks, it’s ruined the game to the point where I’ve had enough of watching premier league games and I probably will give up my season ticket at the end of the season and I’ll just go watch lower league football on my Saturdays but it is good for TV because it turns it in to a drama rather than a game and gives all the pundits a talking point, take the pen last night against Newcastle, it’s all the sports channels have talked about all day, like my original point, it’s gold for TV but kills the game for proper football fans who attend the games.

I sort of get what you mean. So as in those involved see it as a positive for the reason it helps manufacture entertainment and talking points. Ironic really as one of VAR's original selling points was that it would clear this up lol 

We're definitely on the same page so I'm not digging at you. I am genuinely losing the love for football. I find VAR more repulsive and a bigger assault on the game than the money to be honest.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, HarryDee8 said:

I'm definitely not missing this "thing" anymore! Quick decisions and end to end football is so much better

I agree, it’s great to be able to celebrate a goal without worrying about the Purple Screen of Doom appearing.

Having said that we are not in a position where a dodgy call has negatively affected the outcome of a game.  The only really blatant ones I can remember are Woutt giving away a clear penalty early on (Sunderland maybe?), Abdul not getting one against Plymouth and also his studs up challenge against Brum.

3 hours ago, HarryDee8 said:

I'm definitely not missing this "thing" anymore! Quick decisions and end to end football is so much better

I agree. However, it’s always less painful when you’re winning almost every game and the penalty you’re not given doesn’t make a difference. Or the opposition is barely in your box to force a decision (one that would unlikely alter the outcome of a game).

On the other hand, the bigger teams get the calls from VAR in the Prem too.

3 hours ago, CUJimmy said:

I agree, it’s great to be able to celebrate a goal without worrying about the Purple Screen of Doom appearing.

Having said that we are not in a position where a dodgy call has negatively affected the outcome of a game.  The only really blatant ones I can remember are Woutt giving away a clear penalty early on (Sunderland maybe?), Abdul not getting one against Plymouth and also his studs up challenge against Brum.

But that’s the problem 

nearly all goals aren’t disallowed - but the fact that they might be is destroying our enjoyment (well a lot of people ) 

• Like 1

It took me a few games this season to get used to not having, realising that I could celebrate a goal without the worry that it could be called off, after that it felt like I’d been set free. So much more enjoyable, even when decisions don’t go your way, on a whole the refs haven’t been too bad.

Now when I watch the prem football with all the var interruptions it just feels so anti football to me and ridiculous or sad, probably both that that the authorities will persevere and go even further with it.

People called John Motson a dinosaur when he said he was against var as it will open up a Pandora’s box, but with eafa’s latest plans to further increase its usage he was spot on. 

• Like 1

I would change VAR and make the “clear and obvious” threshold quite high. Put the rest of the decisions in something called “referee’s call” where the decision goes with the call made on the field. Interventions would only be for things like off sides or obvious errors, although I’d accept that you’ll never erase ambiguity completely with the latter. 

This way the “clear and obvious” decisions would just be an overrule and end this ridiculous spectacle of a referee looking at a small screen at the side of pitch. That’s clearly failed as they always side with the decision of VAR anyway so it is just an exercise in pointlessness and delays the game. 

To be clear the bar is high. It would be serious foul play like Thierry Henry batting the ball away for France in a WC qualifier or an obvious error like Wes Morgan giving away a penalty after being hit in the face. The vast majority of decisions would stay on the field. 

The alternative is - scrap it! 

11 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

But that’s the problem 

nearly all goals aren’t disallowed - but the fact that they might be is destroying our enjoyment (well a lot of people ) 

Exactly, it’s the threat of a goal being disallowed that reduces the excitement of a goal so I am enjoying it much more.

I was just wondering if I would feel the same if I thought we were being robbed of points due to poor decisions.

33 minutes ago, CUJimmy said:

Exactly, it’s the threat of a goal being disallowed that reduces the excitement of a goal so I am enjoying it much more.

I was just wondering if I would feel the same if I thought we were being robbed of points due to poor decisions.

The thing is teams are getting robbed of points due to poor decisions with var.

All the changes they’ve tried to bring in over the years to try and make the game flow and var is the one thing that absolutely destroys any any flow.