Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
alfox13

VAR

52 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

regarding goal line tech being used to evaluate ball out of play - should have been done already but maybe not done cos of cost ?

If Maguire can be on 200k/week then surely the league can afford pretty much anything. Premier league could probably deliver match balls with a space X falcon 9 if it needed to

10 minutes ago, Monk said:

If Maguire can be on 200k/week then surely the league can afford pretty much anything. Premier league could probably deliver match balls with a space X falcon 9 if it needed to

There is no relation between man United and Luton’s income 

I suppose you could say that if a club gets promoted then they have no option but to spend whatever the cost is to install 

at the moment it takes seven cameras to cover the area of the goal 

surely it would need a huge number more than that for the whole width of the pitch ?

and the height ?  How high off the ground do the cameras need to cover ?

suppose the best option is simply to make sure that there are two cameras bang in line with the goal line at all grounds so an accurate side on image is available to the var. 

image.thumb.png.2c9d163dd105e3a8471c6a4eab1f02c8.png

• 3 weeks later...

Seen their latest genius idea? lol 

I almost want it to happen. It's currently a shambles but this would be so unwatchable it might actually force serious change. Or on the flip side it means we revert to the current mess and everyone sucks it up.

• Sad 4
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

I almost want it to happen. It's currently a shambles but this would be so unwatchable it might actually force serious change. Or on the flip side it means we revert to the current mess and everyone sucks it up.

Not throw-ins, yet, then? Imma disappoint :P /s

18 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Could you imagine a 5 minute delay in play, whilst we slow down and repeatedly freeze frame to decide if it’s a corner or not.

All enjoyment and momentum in the game gone.

For me, the only way VAR works moving forward is with a challenge system. 
Two challenges per team, per game - if the challenge is successful you keep your challenge.

This would also end diving, imagine diving in the box then convincing your team to burn a challenge, knowing you’ve not been touched. 
Everything else, if there’s no challenge we stay with the onfield call right or wrong.

Of course having a ref being told to review a decision by a team doesn’t mean they will go the way said team want them to.

The ref might still think it’s not a foul or handbell for example.

I am not sure you would get much difference as they will still be making a subjective decision.

VAR absolutely SHOULD look at corners and throw ins. 

Since the idea was first floated for the introduction of VAR, I’ve never understood why only some decisions are reviewed. 

It doesn’t make sense.

If the ball deflects off a defender and a corner is missed by the ref, but it’s clearly corner…then why the fvck should that not be reviewed? Same with contested throw ins.

I abhor VAR, but if you are going to the trouble and expense of setting up a system that can ensure all decisions are correct…then you should really make sure that all decisions are correct. 

The PGMOL came out pre-VAR/pre-Covid with a trumpet blowing stat and said that something like 98% of refs on-field decisions are correct.

I don’t know the stats post VAR…maybe 99%?

Is the absolute nonsense we have now worth the (possible) marginal gains? 

Bin it, or make it foolproof. 

58 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Could you imagine a 5 minute delay in play, whilst we slow down and repeatedly freeze frame to decide if it’s a corner or not.

Two challenges per team, per game - if the challenge is successful you keep your challenge.

This would also end diving, imagine diving in the box then convincing your team to burn a challenge, knowing you’ve not been touched. 
Everything else, if there’s no challenge we stay with the onfield call right or wrong.

I've never liked the idea of a challenge system but it's gotten so unbearable to watch that I don't think it can actually get much worse than this. I think I'd take a challenge system over this, and that really does highlight to me how badly wrong they've got it as like I said, I've never wanted that either.

Edited by Dan LCFC

11 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

I've never liked the idea of a challenge system but it's gotten so unbearable to watch that I don't think it can actually get much worse than this. I think I'd take a challenge system over this, and that really does highlight to me how badly wrong they've got it as like I said, I've never wanted that either.

I think it would make no difference.

You’d still get subjective debatable decisions.

A team might appeal an obvious dive or foul but ref could still disagree with them so does anything change .

We’d still get angry fans and managers afterwards.

Edited by Super_horns

1 hour ago, Super_horns said:

Of course having a ref being told to review a decision by a team doesn’t mean they will go the way said team want them to.

The ref might still think it’s not a foul or handbell for example.

I am not sure you would get much difference as they will still be making a subjective decision.

...it is a risk that you take with implementing a challenge!!!

If you believe so badly that there was an injustice then you put in a "challenge." You may be found to have been wrong and the referee was proven to be right, it would mean you only have one "challenge" left so you need to use it wisely. If on the other hand, you win your  "challenge" you therefore have the 2 lives still in play.

The argument that referees are still human and susceptible to being influenced by certain managers, we no doubt will still have the same problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aus Fox said:

The cricket system works amazingly well, it seems that FIFA just wanted to be different to satisfy their superiority complex

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

To be honest, I’ve never liked the idea of VAR.

The sooner we can accept mistakes from managers, players and officials is just part of the game, the better. 
If it is here to stay though, we desperately need changes and not the ones they are proposing.

Guest BlueBrett
11 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

They know we hate it. They don't care.

Lucky for us centralised authority always knows best.

Always felt that as red cards are being looked at then second yellows should also be looked at because a second yellow card is a red card offence.

But it needs to improve massively. Semi-automated offsides should do that but corners, etc. might be a step too far.

I'd be happy with just goal-line tech and then VAR for offsides and that's it. The rest is subjective and mistakes can either be made on the pitch or in the VAR room so just let the game flow and keep the majority of decisions with the ref and assistants.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

To be fair I've always said it should be used for corners as you can 99.99% of the time tell within one replay if the ref has called it wrong or not.

Imagine it being used on free kicks and yellow cards especially though lol Literally every minute or two there'll be a VAR check. I always thought money might cause the football reset, but I'm starting to wonder if it'll be these mad law makers and their new toy VAR that'll do it.

10 hours ago, 5waller5 said:

The cricket system works amazingly well, it seems that FIFA just wanted to be different to satisfy their superiority complex

But that would only work for offsides,  ball over the line etc where you are pretty much dealing in facts,  it would be no better than what we have now when subjective decisions are involved. In fact it has the potential for being worse as the powerful managers from the top teams would exert even more pressure on referee's.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Robo61 said:

But that would only work for offsides,  ball over the line etc where you are pretty much dealing in facts,  it would be no better than what we have now when subjective decisions are involved. In fact it has the potential for being worse as the powerful managers from the top teams would exert even more pressure on referee's.

The timed window for the use of an appeal, and limited number of unsuccessful appeals would make VAR more a part of the team game though. 

With cricket there are fielders particularly good at viewing marginal decisions who are consulted by the captain, an umpire’s potential mistake relies on the skill of the team to spot.

Currently VAR is just incompetent and disconnected from the game. Appeals, whilst at risk of being just another way to favour the big 6, may help to re-connect the game to the teams and fans?