Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
alfox13

VAR

The var decisions are often made politically imo but not helped by the stupid football league and premier league fooking about with the laws look at the stupid handball rule it used to deliberate or not at one time now they just make it up as the go along and as for offside ,a toe or a nose, not interfering with play if you stand in front of the keeper , were feigning death on the penalty spot or someone shouted offside and upset your striker who will now have to go into therapy because the ref doesn't like him.....
Jesus wept ,money is the root cause of it.

38 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

VAR is horrific and ruined the game. Loving this season so far without it. Bittersweet that promotion will result in that shite again. 

VAR is an abomination. As much as we all take this seriously and billions are involved, it's just a sport, just fun. If billionaires don't want to risk everything on human error or chance, then buy real estate and ignore sport. 

At the absolute most I'd  accept VAR if the ref - and ref alone - asks an assistant if there's any obvious reason to disallow a goal...and unless there is an obvious reason, the infield decision stands

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MalletFox said:

Serious question, does anyone genuinely think that the Premier League and/or Premier League officials, including VAR has been subject to corruption (either in the past or currently)?

Some of these decisions are so obscene, it’s beyond gross negligence.

100% they have, where there’s huge sums of money at stake, there’s corruption. 
Billionaire owners, billions every weekend globally in betting revenue, there’s no way a refeeee hasn’t been paid off or offered money to be aid off at some point.

The weird bets you can place make this easier too, over 3.5 yellow cards, a penalty to be awarded in this game, they make it easier to fix without directly affecting a match result.

• Like 1

Having no VAR is in The Championship is so good.

The ability to be able to celebrate a goal instantly is brilliant & so it should be. Instant ecstasy. One glance at the ref’s assistant & we know it’s a goal or not. Simple. 

Until they simplify VAR, communicate the decision, erase the grey areas, it will continue to fail regularly.

Rugby Union seems to have sorted it, and that is probably a more complicated sport. 

Edited by STEVIE B
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, South Shire Fox said:

Dont remember anyone complaining about VAR when it saved us from giving away the FA Cup final. Im sure people would change their minds if a dodgy handball or offside cost us promotion. Its the nobheads that run VAR and back up their mates wrong decision that are the problem

this is always the pro VAR argument.

no, and never.

• Like 3

The absolute deal breaker for me is the inability to fully celebrate and enjoy a goal in the moment it is scored. This is one of the best feelings in Football and VAR has killed that in my opinion. 

I understand the argument of those saying it just needs to be run better, but even run well, there is still that doubt and wait to see if VAR is going to interject the moment a goal is scored. 

I love the Championship for not having VAR. I doubt we will ever see it taken away now and I am sure the Championship will add it soon, but I hope they may at least consider not relying on it for anything and everything. 

• Like 4

The bar just needs to be higher in instances that goals are being chalked off.

Offside that wasn't given on field? Only if there's daylight.

Handball in the build up? Has to be obvious and intentional.

If fewer goals are chalked off following checks, fans will feel free to celebrate goals again, and there will be trust that major errors will be picked up.

Nobody ever cared about players being a centimetre offside before. Even as a fan of the team on the receiving end of a goal conceded that in hindsight was marginally offside, you could accept it was close and a tough one to call.

It's a usage issue, for me. VAR as a final line of defence to correct obvious error, not as something to try to make the game perfect. 

The irony is, the more perfect you try to make it, the closer the calls become and the more it comes back to subjectivity. 

Every goal should be checked and only overturned if obviously offside or clear foul in build up.

Other than that, red cards and penalty reviews should be initiated by the captain of each team, who should have a defined number of reviews they can use each game.

The technology is great, and it's good that we have the opportunity to address issues that can easily be missed in such a fast moving sport. Just use it to fix the howlers. At the moment it feels like it's adding more howlers then it's fixing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

VAR could have been a good thing but the way it is currently being used and the rules that go with it is just killing the game. The Refs become obsessed with accuracy which ironically is making their decisions illogical and non-sensical.

If the on field Ref is good and is paying attention, I would say 98% of the times their decisions are the same or better than if decisions are made by the VAR. This is especially the case when it comes to penalties, handballs, tackles and for me offsides, when watching things real time is often the best.

The way they are doing the replays for the on field Ref especially is just wrong. Like the first red Liverpool got against Spurs, that if you watch it from all angles and in real time it should just be a yellow, but the VAR has already decided that it is a red when it chose to show the Ref the worst angle in slow motion repeatedly without the other angles in real time. It was planting the seed for a red in a very biased manner.

With offsides, what happened to giving the benefit of doubt to the attackers? If you need to draw a line on the TV screen to decide that someone is offside by a hairline, is it more accurate than the on field decision? Doesn’t it all depend on the angle, how your draw the line, when to freeze the moment etc? I would say the assistant ref may actually have a better feeling of this in real time on the pitch as he gets to watch all the actions (similar to how players would see it) and with the sound of the kick as well.

VAR was meant to make decisions more accurate by throwing out clear and obvious errors.

But in the UK, unlike other countries, VARs are trying too hard to make it absolutely accurate and this throwing common sense and the spirit of the game out the window.

In other words, striving too much for accuracy is ironically the downfall of VAR.

Edited by Tom12345
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Nod.E said:

The bar just needs to be higher in instances that goals are being chalked off.

Offside that wasn't given on field? Only if there's daylight.

Handball in the build up? Has to be obvious and intentional.

If fewer goals are chalked off following checks, fans will feel free to celebrate goals again, and there will be trust that major errors will be picked up.

Nobody ever cared about players being a centimetre offside before. Even as a fan of the team on the receiving end of a goal conceded that in hindsight was marginally offside, you could accept it was close and a tough one to call.

It's a usage issue, for me. VAR as a final line of defence to correct obvious error, not as something to try to make the game perfect. 

The irony is, the more perfect you try to make it, the closer the calls become and the more it comes back to subjectivity. 

Every goal should be checked and only overturned if obviously offside or clear foul in build up.

Other than that, red cards and penalty reviews should be initiated by the captain of each team, who should have a defined number of reviews they can use each game.

The technology is great, and it's good that we have the opportunity to address issues that can easily be missed in such a fast moving sport. Just use it to fix the howlers. At the moment it feels like it's adding more howlers then it's fixing.

I just read this after my post above. I fully agree with this except for letting the captains initiate reviews. Not a bad idea but this is just difficult to implement. We don’t want players to stop play and then run to the ref for a review. We need players to continue playing and focus on that while VAR in the background checks for that. But if we can just leave the VAR to check for howlers then this should sort itself out. As you say, ironically the more the VAR is obsessed with accuracy the more inaccurate it will become as it throws away common sense and the spirit of the game out the window.

Edited by Tom12345

Until they can grey out the players in the VAR room there will always be the idea that it's the team getting decisions rather than the actual incident being looked at, I'm sure there is technology out there that does it, don't let the VAR ref see the colours of the shirts so they don't know which team the decision is for would take away that feel of cheating. 

Personally I'd love to see it scrapped, so much nicer enjoying the football in its raw state, celebrating and going mental with no fear of seeing Checking offside, to hold those celebrations and the get a "yeah!!" When goals given. 

• Like 3