Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Libertine

Longest Song That You Have

At a guess I'd plump for Down In The Sewer by The Stranglers from their debut album Rattus Norvegicus IV - 7 minutes 58 seconds

I don't find it to be either pretentious or repetitive - mainly because it is in four parts

1. Falling
  2. Down In The Sewer
  3. Trying To Get Out Again
  4. Rats Rally

Mogwai - "Like Herod" (the version from "Government Commissions: BBC Sessions 1996-2003") - 18:30

The Decemberists' EP "The Tain" could count as the longest one I have--it's one track that's 18:36 long although the back cover and liner notes indicate that there are five distinct movements (Parts I-V). It's all one big song, though.

Got lots of long songs by the likes of Genesis, Tangerine Dream, Yes, Grateful dead, Marillion etc. in the 17-25 minute range. If I started listening to music in the 70's when there were loads of long songs about. It was an era when the 20 minute version of a song was automatically better than the 5 or 10 minute version, no questions asked.

Now i realise that a lot of the long versions of songs from that era are virtiually unlistenable. I have a live version of Freebird at home that seems to go on forever, might be the 15 minute one referred to above but it seems longer! I once sat through a drum solo by Ginger Baker that went on for 25 minutes and got boring after the first minute!

There should be a special category for pointlessly long songs. Buried in the archives I have a 20 minute live version of 'Dazed and Confused by Led Zeppelin (original was 6 minues) and a 22 minute live version of 'Space Trucking' by Deep Purple (The original went on a bit at 4 minutes, it was only one riff when it came down to it).

Simon

The Orb - Blue Room 39 minutes and 58 seconds, two seconds shorter than the maximum permitted for a single under chart rules!!!

however I don't actually own it but nothing will ever beat that!!!

The Orb - Blue Room 39 minutes and 58 seconds, two seconds shorter than the maximum permitted for a single under chart rules!!!

however I don't actually own it but nothing will ever beat that!!!

Thanks GOOGLE!!

Pah what a faker!

Surely something by "the Floyd!" in my collection anyway.

Got lots of long songs by the likes of Genesis, Tangerine Dream, Yes, Grateful dead, Marillion etc. in the 17-25 minute range. If I started listening to music in the 70's when there were loads of long songs about. It was an era when the 20 minute version of a song was automatically better than the 5 or 10 minute version, no questions asked.

Now i realise that a lot of the long versions of songs from that era are virtiually unlistenable. I have a live version of Freebird at home that seems to go on forever, might be the 15 minute one referred to above but it seems longer! I once sat through a drum solo by Ginger Baker that went on for 25 minutes and got boring after the first minute!There should be a special category for pointlessly long songs. Buried in the archives I have a 20 minute live version of 'Dazed and Confused by Led Zeppelin (original was 6 minues) and a 22 minute live version of 'Space Trucking' by Deep Purple (The original went on a bit at 4 minutes, it was only one riff when it came down to it).

Simon

You're referring to 'Toad'.. Probably the longest recorded rock drum solo.

Mine would be Dream Theater's "A Change of Seasons" which is 23:30 minutes long or so...

Underworld's "Juanita/Kiteless/To Dream Of Love" clocks in at second at around 18 minutes I think...

You're referring to 'Toad'.. Probably the longest recorded rock drum solo.

Bizarrely enough I don't thnk it was. It was during his brief stint with Hawkwind (Ginger Baker and Hawkwind - Possibly the unlikeliest pairing in Rock History) at the de Montford about 15 years ago, it was 23 mins long on my watch, but it felt far, far longer.

Simon

Thanks GOOGLE!!

Pah what a faker!

Surely something by "the Floyd!" in my collection anyway.

I did actually know that, from when I went through my ambient/chillout phase from about 15.00 on the 15/06/93 to about 15.15 on the same day!!!

Archived