Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted
11 hours ago, Izzy said:

I reckon if I was in there I'd accidentally call Bella 'she' instead of 'they' and get booted out for not being PC enough

They’re from sileby you know. Get them at Seagrave. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ALC Fox said:

I know a couple of non-binary people who use they/them pronouns, both in different areas of my life (professional and personal) who don't know one another. Both are female-born and female-presenting. One continues to use the female first name they were born with and the other has changed their first name to one you would associate with being male.

 

Both of them don't expect you to get it right every single time. And accidental slips are waved away without concern because they know you're trying.

 

I imagine it's the same in the Traitors. I can't imagine that every single member of the cast and crew is using they/them every single time and there hasn't been the odd slip that was swiftly apologised for as soon as it was realised.

 

I think as long as you approach these things with respect for how people wish to be perceived and how they feel they are, then accidental slips are OK as long as there's no malice or belligerence associated with them.

 

From experience, it takes a little getting used to, but once you are used to it, it's absolutely fine. You shouldn't be afraid of making mistakes, as long as it's clear that you're not trying to make a point.

 

It's a quite natural thing to use they/them when you don't know the gender of a single person, so extending that to someone who you know is non-binary isn't much of a leap, in reality.

 

Of course, there may be people who are easily offended by accidental slips and the two people I know are just a bit more forgiving and understanding in nature.

Out of interest if you and I were talking about 1 of the people you know & were alone in a room and we didn’t use the correct pronouns isn’t it just like if a tree fell in a forest but no one saw it, did it really fall, & then if not who would be offended?

 

I get in Bella’s situation she will no doubt watch this back so will see any slips intentional or not but in everyday life I don’t see a situation when that person is directly engaged as ‘they’ or are they 🤷‍♂️

I would never say she for instance when directly talking to a female colleague it will always be her name or would it be used instead of ‘you’ so if I asked “Mandy are ‘you’ going to the pub” would I actually say “Mandy are ‘they’ going to the pub?

Because then what if I was asking Mandy if ‘they’ ‘a group of people’ were going to the pub & not her/they 🤪


Interested for my own understanding really not trying to make a deal of it, forewarned is forearmed as they say.

I’ll google it anyway but thought I’d ask

 

Edit: Ok back at my desk and see that a pronoun is never directly referred to when speaking face to face, would also use ‘you’ in my scenario.

So it’s just the 3rd body parties who use the pronoun when talking about someone identifying as non binary if they are in the room or not, as you say no real biggy but can also understand the why.

 

Every days a school day 

Edited by BKLFox
Posted
54 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

Out of interest if you and I were talking about 1 of the people you know & were alone in a room and we didn’t use the correct pronouns isn’t it just like if a tree fell in a forest but no one saw it, did it really fall, & then if not who would be offended?

 

I get in Bella’s situation she will no doubt watch this back so will see any slips intentional or not but in everyday life I don’t see a situation when that person is directly engaged as ‘they’ or are they 🤷‍♂️

I would never say she for instance when directly talking to a female colleague it will always be her name or would it be used instead of ‘you’ so if I asked “Mandy are ‘you’ going to the pub” would I actually say “Mandy are ‘they’ going to the pub?

Because then what if I was asking Mandy if ‘they’ ‘a group of people’ were going to the pub & not her/they 🤪


Interested for my own understanding really not trying to make a deal of it, forewarned is forearmed as they say.

I’ll google it anyway but thought I’d ask

 

Edit: Ok back at my desk and see that a pronoun is never directly referred to when speaking face to face, would also use ‘you’ in my scenario.

So it’s just the 3rd body parties who use the pronoun when talking about someone identifying as non binary if they are in the room or not, as you say no real biggy but can also understand the why.

 

Every days a school day 

Yeah, exactly.

 

1st person singular: I/me

1st person plural: we/us

2nd person singular: you/she/he/her/him

2nd person plural: you

3rd person singular and plural: they/them

 

Possessives like mine, ours, his, hers and theirs working the same way.

 

Interestingly we lost the specific 2nd person singular 'thee' and 'thou' in everyday usage, and was actually the informal use of 'you' (like the French tu) until the more formal 'you' became ubiquitous instead of merely being used in formal and plural circumstances (like the French vous).

 

Thee was used as the object, e.g. 'Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?'

 

Thou was used as the subject, e.g. 'Dost thou love life? Then do not squander time'.

 

So pronoun usage and meaning has always shifted over time as language evolves, just like every other aspect of every language in existence.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Posted
4 minutes ago, ALC Fox said:

Yeah, exactly.

 

1st person singular: I/me

1st person plural: we/us

2nd person singular: you/she/he/her/him

2nd person plural: you

3rd person singular and plural: they/them

 

Possessives like mine, ours, his, hers and theirs working the same way.

 

Interestingly we lost the specific 2nd person singular 'thee' and 'thou' in everyday usage, and was actually the informal use of 'you' (like the French tu) until the more formal 'you' became ubiquitous instead of merely being used in formal and plural circumstances (like the French vous).

 

Thee was used as the object, e.g. 'Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?'

 

Thou was used as the subject, e.g. 'Dost thou love life? Then do not squander time'.

 

So pronoun usage and meaning has always shifted over time as language evolves, just like every other aspect of every language in existence.

I think there's a distinction to be made between the evolution of language and deliberate change to pursue a social objective.  This could become normalised through adoption, but not sure what's going on here is the same as any of the examples you've given.

 

  • Like 1
Posted

Interesting the Traitors recruited Hannah. They might have been better of choosing somebody else. Heat would have remained on Hannah and Jerry as the Faithfull would have still suspected them after surviving the murder.  Time will tell. Miranda is on to Hannah. James Blunt was wrong about Hannah before she was recruited but now correct by default. Show developing nicely 

 

 

Posted
1 minute ago, Foxdiamond said:

Interesting the Traitors recruited Hannah. They might have been better of choosing somebody else. Heat would have remained on Hannah and Jerry as the Faithfull would have still suspected them after surviving the murder.  Time will tell. Miranda is on to Hannah. James Blunt was wrong about Hannah before she was recruited but now correct by default. Show developing nicely 

 

 

Always a risky manoeuvre to recruit an under-fire faithful because there's always the risk of collateral damage but ultimately if Hannah goes tonight then the faithful may think there's only one more traitor and there's minimal heat on James Acaster or Maya Jama but also if she does stay and can defend herself then the traitors will have a genuine superfan who completely understands the game and comfortably the most intelligent member of the cast on their side.

 

I don't think that Miranda is too much of a threat right now because I don't think the majority of the cast takes her seriously enough but she's definitely one for the chopping block soon.

  • Like 2
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, AKCJ said:

It's not anything like that. 

 

They're not demanding anything and it's hardly burdensome. It's literally no different for a woman with the pronouns of she/her or a man with the pronouns of he/him. All they're doing is asking you to respect their gender identity.

 

Best part is that they're not fussed if you do refer to them as she/her. They've said as much in the media.

I'm thinking more of when people get upset (often on the other person's behalf) that people who have no idea that a person wants to be identified as they calls them he or she.

 

It's not visually identifiable, it's if you know, you know. Now I'm not saying that Bella would be like that, but I'm guessing more than a few viewers are.

 

Beside which, I'm off a generation that would use "they" to mean a person of no consequence, an insult, such as "that's what they said", it's a put down, implying a lack of status. 

 

As such, addressing a person I don't wish ill of, I find "they" uncomfortable and doesn't come naturally.

Edited by Trav Le Bleu
Posted
52 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

I think the plan will be to throw Hannah under the bus when required. And then do the same again with the next recruit.

She's buggered (what a thought) from the start as, just like Fry last year, they'll bin off the boffin based on the irritating rationale of "you'd make a great traitor".

Posted
6 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Absolutely. If someone is killed off because they're on to something, dropping hints as they're departing could ruin the game.

Been happening for a few series so clearly the production team see it as being more positive than negative for the drama. (Do they really care about the  integrity of the game ? It’s a tv entertainment program. We’ve no idea what is gerrymandered. 

Posted

Shame Bella is out.  They used to play for my club's junior teams, even when in Game of Thrones.  It seemed an unwritten rule in committee meetings that we didn't refer to the fact we had a player who was in the biggest show on TV.  I did it once and there was a bit of a sharp intake of breath.  I didn't do it again.

  • Like 1
Posted

I think the smart move would be to murder Jerry, because Hannah voted for Jerry, the only person to do so, as a triple bluff. Many of the less astute players could easily be persuaded that the Traitors had murdered Jerry to make Hannah look even more guilty, and then convince people that she must be a faithful and that the traitors were trying to get the faithful to do their work for them.

 

But that's obviously not going to happen. I think not being any of them is genius. I wonder if they know that one will be locked, either giving them a chance to work out who would most likely use it or for them to complete a task to receive a clue, but I doubt it.

 

As it stands, I don't think they will go for Leigh-ann in any case. If they murder Romesh and it comes out that he really wanted the shield, Hannah could then play on, "see, just because I wanted a shield doesn't make me a traitor!"

 

I think when Kenny accused Hannah about the shield I'd have turned it round, "but you're the one who took it," or say that you were just being fair, he found it, he should have it.

  • Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...