Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Gilbert signs for Sheffield Wednesday

actually it always baffled me. the gilbert situation. it still does.

we have far worse players where we have a number of players that can fill their position but they are favoured ?

sylla.

kisnorbo.

tiatto.

cant figure out why we kept wilcox on just to loan him out? or to keep dublin as a striker and then on rare occasions play him at the back :huh:

I'd be interested in what you would have all said if the headline had read Gilbert returns to the Foxes, after all most of you couldn't wait to see him go.

It's obvious that any rational thought re Levein has now disappeared out of the window, what ever he does you'll condemn him - he's damned if he does and he's damned if he doesn't - whatever it is.

That's simply not true.

It's no longer excuseable. We're 4th from bottom, one point from the relegation zone. Apart from the wonderful game against the Blades, we've achieved no wins, 5 draws and 6 losses in the past 11 games. That's not just "bad luck", it is incapability of performing well enough with a squad that supposedly is "good enough", like the manager always likes to put it.

Should we turn things around even this month or in the months to come, then not just because we've bought in a new striker (and some other players) and change the face of this rather young squad. It can only happen if the Levein finally judges himself correctly and if the players get mentally stronger and physically smarter (no more unnecessary cards).

I don't damn Levein as a person. I criticize the coward tactics he has chosen. He's obviously run out of any reasonable argumentation after abysmal performances, because all that I can hear and read is a computer hit on the same "Command" button on a regular basis. Sometimes, I think he has given up on himself, too. The way he speaks and the way he moves don't look very positive to me.

Of course, you can't expect an employee to speak his mind. Craig Levein is not that kind of guy, but I can imagine him exploding out of a sudden, when things are very dire. Especially when nobody else is expecting it. So far, he has played by the rules of the club and kept his mouth shut. Just like everybody else.

But I doubt that's a positive attitude. In the long run, it will ruin the club, the management, the players and piss off the rest of the faithful fans.

One thing that is positive about the whole situation, and you can take my word for that, is the fact that we play quite well defensively.

Of course, that doesn't excuse the lack of goals. Goals we need if we want to win games and stay in this division.

Coming back to the main topic, I think Gilbert never got the chance to really prove himself.

[/b]

That's simply not true.

I'm afraid it is true.... as stated before people can slag the guy off about the facts all they want. But as it is people are just either completely making things up. Or making out like their opinion is fact.

I can show you about 20 cases in the last 30 minutes.

As for Levein being damned if he does, damned if he doesn't - what do you expect?

We bought this guy for a REPORTED £200,000 (Babylon you may as well never say anything about transfers cos we never know the EXACT figure, or indeed the finer details of any transaction/behind the scenes goings-on) - plus his wages.

I expect (based on common sense assumptions) that Wednesday did not pay the same amount of money as we paid for him - because why would they? They know we want him gone and they know he didn't play well here - so they wouldn't offer us the same/more than what we paid for him.

Based on those assumptions, Levein is going to be blamed whatever happened. He spent this much money just 6 months ago and Gilbert played 3/4 games, and now he's sold him at a loss.

Quite frankly, how can you defend this piece of business?

And don't forget, even if we did sell him for the same price (highly unlikely) we still lost out because we had to pay his wages for most of this time (we may even have paid some of his wages while he was on loan).

The only way Levein wouldn't have got stick is if he sold him at a profit - which is doubtful to say the least.

All my Sheff Wednesday mates have been raving about Gilbert.

Saying how comforable he is on the ball and how he always makes great runs down the line.

We should have give him more of a chance , but no our stubborn manager decides to spend a considerable amount of money on him , then fock him off after 4 or so games.

Ridiculous.

I'd be interested in what you would have all said if the headline had read Gilbert returns to the Foxes, after all most of you couldn't wait to see him go.

It's obvious that any rational thought re Levein has now disappeared out of the window, what ever he does you'll condemn him - he's damned if he does and he's damned if he doesn't - whatever it is.

Gilbert certainly didn't play well for us and you have to wonder why he has been playing well for Wednesday.

Did he get fit at Leicester and then find himself in better condition to play properly at Sheffield?. Or was it, again, confidence?

Gilbert, Sheehan, next it will be Maybury. Then there's Williams, Smith, Hammill. They're all way below their best.

What too about the lousy set pieces and the sloppy throw-ins and the ever-changing team and the ever-changing tactics and the effective admittance we cannot compete man for man against the decent teams.....

You can't go game after game without scoring. Get a positive manager, someone who believes we can take on anyone at our level, and the next level when we reach it. And doesn't keep doubting it.

Get a guy who puts his players before himself. A guy who makes everyone feel like they're superman.

Gilbert certainly didn't play well for us and you have to wonder why he has been playing well for Wednesday.

Did he get fit at Leicester and then find himself in better condition to play properly at Sheffield?. Or was it, again, confidence?

Gilbert, Sheehan, next it will be Maybury. Then there's Williams, Smith, Hammill. They're all way below their best.

What too about the lousy set pieces and the sloppy throw-ins and the ever-changing team and the ever-changing tactics and the effective admittance we cannot compete man for man against the decent teams.....

You can't go game after game without scoring. Get a positive manager, someone who believes we can take on anyone at our level, and the next level when we reach it. And doesn't keep doubting it.

Get a guy who puts his players before himself. A guy who makes everyone feel like they're superman.

I agree with the fact that something has gone terribly wrong within the club and it's not even just Levein's fault. But in football, you can't sack an entire team, it's mostly the manager who has to go first in times of struggle. I personally believe that the whole atmosphere within the club is rather poisoned, and the situation has gotten worse with every new week. It's like one big vacuum that is bound to explode.

And erm... They don't have to feel like they're Superman. Better play like one. lol

Gilbert was blatantly not match fit when he was given a chance. He was then dropped, played a number of games for the reserves and the Wales U21 side, and judging by the comments made by the Sheffield Wednesday fans, is now in a positon to show his true form.

I'm not saying for one minute that we know the whole situation behind Gilbert. For all we know, he could have had a bust up with Levein, or his attitude wasn't right, or he wasn't the player Levein thought he was, but we have never been advised by Levein at any stage why he's not made the first team after his brief appearances at the start of the season.

As Anish said, the OS reported the fee was in excess of 200k, and I imagine Wednesday haven't paid anywhere near that amount. So we've most likely lost money on a player, who's made a couple of apperances for us when not match fit, and then shifted him out when we've been suffering with the left back position all season.

Until Levein explains this one, I will remain sceptical.

.. for an undisclosed fee

http://www.swfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/...~762607,00.html

A few Wednesday fans opinions

"He looks a class act at left-back to me."

"Very good player"

"Agreed, i rate him very highly. Good signing"

What a waste of money. He hardly got a run in the team despite our left back problems and now he's playing week in week out for a team that is now sitting above us in the league. Crazy.

Another masterstroke from Levein.

I agree with the fact that something has gone terribly wrong within the club and it's not even just Levein's fault. But in football, you can't sack an entire team, it's mostly the manager who has to go first in times of struggle. I personally believe that the whole atmosphere within the club is rather poisoned, and the situation has gotten worse with every new week. It's like one big vacuum that is bound to explode.

The more and more i go to sleep then wake up, the more the above seems like a living nightmare. Were like an eastenders episode of doom and gloom. Im expecting one of our players to get glassed (nearly wrote glasses then :D ), or hume to be kidnapped for a ransom.

Now we here that a player we bought 5 months ago for 200k is being sold for an "undisclosed fee", whats that, 10p? We SHOULD know what the fee is. It might be 50k, so if we dont know, we cant accusse the already desperate runners of our club, that their incompetant.

If the fee was anything like what we paid, then they`d tell us. It looks like were being sold down the river trent. The drama of whether craig can pull us round, is like a nightmare on filbert way.

Sorry mate, I know you usually post sense and all that... but please, read that back.

It's bollocks mate.

You've been brainwashed by Levein.. you think the man can do no wrong.

CL signed him for £200k, played him a couple of times when he wasn't fit, he went on loan to Sheff Wed and by all accounts played well whilst we were having problems at left back, and we've now let him go for an undisclosed fee.

He's not 'damned if he does and damned if he doesn't'... he's been given some rope and he's finally hanging himself with it.

Sorry mate, I know you usually post sense and all that... but please, read that back.

It's bollocks mate.

You've been brainwashed by Levein.. you think the man can do no wrong.

CL signed him for £200k, played him a couple of times when he wasn't fit, he went on loan to Sheff Wed and by all accounts played well whilst we were having problems at left back, and we've now let him go for an undisclosed fee.

He's not 'damned if he does and damned if he doesn't'... he's been given some rope and he's finally hanging himself with it.

I can see that you could interpret it that way but when I said "It's obvious that any rational thought re Levein has now disappeared out of the window, what ever he does you'll condemn him - he's damned if he does and he's damned if he doesn't - whatever it is." I wasn't particularly refering to the Gilbert case, hence my addition of ''whatever it is'. I've noted that people are having a go at everything he does now even to the point where people are actually saying opposing things in the same post. That to me implies irrational thought.

As for being brainwashed by Levein - far from it, just because I've posted the above doesn't mean I want him to stay, in fact I've spent the whole day trying to take an objective view pointing out where people are just being stupid. I have every sympathy and can emphasise with both sides of the argument for him going or staying. I'm just being realistic and recognising that neither decision will guarantee success. Some people are deluded into thinking that with Levein gone and the tealady incharge we'd be better off, I disagree unless we can get a worthwhile replacement then I frankly don't see the point - the two things are inexplicably linked if you want CL out you got to have a half decent replacement.

Fair enough... but this Gilbert saga is just another in a long long line of fock ups and serious displays of a lack of judgement from Levein.

It's been said before by myself and others, but if I was that bad at a job, I'd do the decent thing and walk with some decency.

The fee that Sheffield Wednesday have given us for Gilbert may be undisclosed because we don't want other clubs to know how much money we have in the kitty to spend on new players and Wednesday don't want teams to know how much they have left to spend on other players too? If a club knows we've just been given £200K for Gilbert they'll ask for £200K more on top of what we were offering before. It's best for both clubs if they keep the transfer fee under wraps.

The fee that Sheffield Wednesday have given us for Gilbert may be undisclosed because we don't want other clubs to know how much money we have in the kitty to spend on new players and Wednesday don't want teams to know how much they have left to spend on other players too? If a club knows we've just been given £200K for Gilbert they'll ask for £200K more on top of what we were offering before. It's best for both clubs if they keep the transfer fee under wraps.

In which case, why are any transfer fees ever disclosed? :unsure:

Archived