Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ricey

Mike Newell

Surprised by how excited everybody is about this, not least because none of it has been confirmed yet. On a note of caution, I should point out that when Newell managed Hartlepool in 02-03 he won promotion, but the fans almost universally called for him to be sacked. He took over a side who were excelling in League Two and suffered a severe downturn in form. It was only the points tally prior to his takeover that secured promotion. At Luton he had to deal with administration and won an outstanding promotion in his second season, then led Luton to the top half of the Championship the next year. That's an impressive achievement, but he actually received a lot of criticism in his first year at Luton, when the side were promotion favourites but only made it to mid-table. His tendency to struggle early on in a job, coupled with his - let's say - uncharismatic approach, give me a few causes for concern. That said, I've only ever called for one manager's head in my time as a City fan. I'll get behind him fully if he comes - just don't get too carried away. For me, if you're looking at managers' records, I'm surprised that Steve Tilson of Southend hasn't had more of a look-in. Whereas Newell inherited a promising squad and, with a few stutters, delivered on that promise, Tilson turned League Two relegation favourites into League One champions in two years.

Some interesting points. For some reason i'm not even that excited about Newell even though looking at his record he's better than Cotterill and i'd prefer him to Cotterill. I think it's because it hasn't happened yet, if he does get the job then I might be more excited.

Considering the board want an experienced manager, I wouldn't class Newell as experienced but he's definately talented.

They'll be the next rumours once Luton deny us permission & it all fizzles out

Probably!!! Although this is the first rumour that has actually been published in the papers as to saying we are getting him. Cotterill and Davies were only ever reported as targets in the paper.

thought luton had already denied us?

maybe the major difference , if you believe theSun and present rumours , is that cotts wont go over his chairmans head even though he may want to talk to us whereas newell wont be denied?

then again maybe its all some sadistic plot to string us along until peter reid is appointed :sick:

thought luton had already denied us?

maybe the major difference , if you believe theSun and present rumours , is that cotts wont go over his chairmans head even though he may want to talk to us whereas newell wont be denied?

then again maybe its all some sadistic plot to string us along until peter reid is appointed :sick:

Apparently Reid's now interested in the sheep shaggers job. obviously realises he's got fook all chance of getting the city job.

Surprised by how excited everybody is about this, not least because none of it has been confirmed yet. On a note of caution, I should point out that when Newell managed Hartlepool in 02-03 he won promotion, but the fans almost universally called for him to be sacked. He took over a side who were excelling in League Two and suffered a severe downturn in form. It was only the points tally prior to his takeover that secured promotion. At Luton he had to deal with administration and won an outstanding promotion in his second season, then led Luton to the top half of the Championship the next year. That's an impressive achievement, but he actually received a lot of criticism in his first year at Luton, when the side were promotion favourites but only made it to mid-table. His tendency to struggle early on in a job, coupled with his - let's say - uncharismatic approach, give me a few causes for concern. That said, I've only ever called for one manager's head in my time as a City fan. I'll get behind him fully if he comes - just don't get too carried away. For me, if you're looking at managers' records, I'm surprised that Steve Tilson of Southend hasn't had more of a look-in. Whereas Newell inherited a promising squad and, with a few stutters, delivered on that promise, Tilson turned League Two relegation favourites into League One champions in two years.

Not quite champions of league one yet...but i agree with you. However, the board want somene with championship experience...otherwise they would have looked at:-

Allen - Brentford

Tilson - Southend

Parkinson - Colchester

as all 3 of these have done awesome jobs to pretty shit teams!!!

Im not unhappy with Newell being appointed though (if it happens)

Not quite champions of league one yet...but i agree with you. However, the board want somene with championship experience...otherwise they would have looked at:-

Allen - Brentford

Tilson - Southend

Parkinson - Colchester

as all 3 of these have done awesome jobs to pretty shit teams!!!

Im not unhappy with Newell being appointed though (if it happens)

Newell is at the Walkers i think

Morning all

Have to say I am losing confidence in all of these rumours. This is the third 'inside information' one, after Lennon and Cotterill. I will believe it if and when I see it.

I reckon Newall would make a pretty decent manager, for me at the end of the day Leicester City is about knowing that anything can happen, no matter what the score is or who is out injured. If Newell can bring the passion back to the players that we have missed for the past 5 years then i am all for his appointment. Yes he is dry, so was CL. I hope the board are <supposedly> appointing him for the right reasons.

Just looked on Lutons rivals site, no ones mentioned anything there.

Theres this on Fox Fanzine Grr my head is exploding!

It's mentioned in their local rag:

Newell

Newell linked to Leicester job

But writer asks: Why should he join a club in a perilous position?

Hatters' boss Mike Newell has been linked to the vacant manager's job at troubled Leicester City.

A report in today's Sun newspaper said: "Newell will stun Luton by quitting to take over the Leicester hot seat next week.

"Newell has been approached by Foxes bigwigs and has informed the Hatters he wants to take the job."

But a report in the Leicester Mercury has poured cold water on the rumours.

Chief footballer writer Bill Anderson wrote: "Why should, for instance, Steve Cotterill, Billy Davies or Mike Newell, the three most readily-touted candidates, leave clubs where they are popular for another where, inevitably, they will be treated differently – and for a club who are in a perilous position?"

Leicester sit just a point above the Championship drop zone and have been searching for a new boss since parting company with former Hearts manager Craig Levein.

Newell, 41, has been linked to several clubs after last season's League One title triumph.

A source close to the club described the rumours of a Newell move to Leicester as "nonsense".

02 February 2006

What's Blanderson on about with his 'where, inevitably, they will be treated differently' comment?

Clearly he's still bitter about Levein being booted out after we all got sick of his under-achievement.

Monks prediction -

All of the rumours are not going to fabricate. Kelly will lead until the end of the season (pending on the Wolves game I reckon). Lennon will leave Celtic in the close season and they will form a join role, and we will be AWESOME.

Monks prediction -

All of the rumours are not going to fabricate. Kelly will lead until the end of the season (pending on the Wolves game I reckon). Lennon will leave Celtic in the close season and they will form a join role, and we will be AWESOME.

Well I hope Monks prediction is correct

Archived