Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ricey

Mike Newell

The Luton Perspective from Vital football:

Luton Town boss Mike Newell has admitted he has been contacted about the vacant managerial position at Leicester City.

You have to admire the man. His manner is calm and sometimes matter-of-fact to the extemt of irritation, but he tells it as it is. That's a very refreshing trait in a sport where most managers blame the referee, or the opposition fouling, for defeat. When it has been a poor display he has said so; When, on the rarest of occasions he even mentions a referee, he has been correct and merely stated the facts; and, when he has commented on other contributory reasons, (e.g.the second best team in Hertfordshire dropping like flies to waste time,) he was again 100% correct.

It is not surprising therefore, when asked by the BBC Three Counties commentator, the direct question, he has been honest enough to admit it.

He replied, after a long pause to collect his thoughts, 'I wouldn't lie, and I have been contacted, but that's as far as it's gone.

'I haven't been offered any jobs, I'm in a job and that's all I'm concentrating on.

'It's natural to be linked with jobs. It's always flattering because they're obviously looking at what's gone on here at Luton in the last two or three years and they're impressed by it.

'We've still got a lot to do here and I'm committed to this job. Until someone comes and asks me to be their manager I don't have to think about it.

He has also been quoted elsewhere as saying,'When the chairman says he's 100% committed to keeping me here, I don't know what he means by that. He hasn't said anything to me about it yet.

'Put it this way, if Liverpool offered me the manager's job tomorrow I'd be gone.'

This is not good news. It is all right for Mr Tomlins to come out with kneejerk reactions to pacify the fans' thirst for news, but the fans wanted to hear that Mike is going nowhere. The rhetoric was there, but when Mike Newell's comment shows that Bill Tomlins' political, true statement does not give the whole truth, the fans will be worried.

Let us look at what was said.

Bill: 'We have had no official approach from Leicester,'

'I can understand why there is speculation, but I do not want to lose him.

Mike is a former Leicester player, but he is very happy at Luton and we have a very good relationship.

He is a very good manager and we are 100% committed to hanging onto him.'

Tomlins added: 'There may come a time when Mike moves on - but I imagine it would be to a club in a higher league.'

So, Leicester haven't made AN OFFICIAL approach, but there has been an approach to Newell, according to Mike.

Secondly, 'Mike is happy at Luton and we have a very good relationship, we are 100% committed to hanging onto him.'

Yet Mike says, 'When the chairman says he's 100% committed to keeping me here, I don't know what he means by that. He hasn't said anything to me about it yet.'

That, to me, does not smack of a good relationship, and suggests that Tomlins hasn't even spoken to Mike before giving out his statement, let alone told him we desperately want him to stay! Does he even know Mike's mobile number?

Thirdly, it's time the board offered Mike an extension to his contract, and a raise, if they really want to keep him, although comments like 'hang on to' and 'There may come a time when Mike moves on - but I imagine it would be to a club in a higher league,' reek of resignation toward losing him.

Also, if there has been no official approach, ie Leicester have 'tapped him up' without permission, then why, now Mike has admitted they have spoken to him, is the board not jumping up and down about an illegal approach?

And, if this is an illegal approach, will Mike's integrity, which forced him to speak out against agents doing the wrong thing, allow him to go to a club that flouts the rules, and does he wrong thing. Will he go as far as to resign, (in the manner of Harry Redknapp) to be 'available'? His arrival at Luton was not, by any stretch of the imagination, without its peculiarities!

Mike is loved by the fans at Luton; he is doing well in difficult circumstances; he is inexperienced and fairly progressive. ( I mean - tell the truth - how progressive can you get? ) Leicester City have done the up and coming progressive young manager thing before. Remember Peter Taylor? Didn't work for them then and it won't now.

If Mike Newell does move to Leicester City, he is stuck with the squad that is floundering in the league; he will be looked on as the Messiah in the short term, but, if results go against him, the crowd will be on his back, morale will get even lower, and if relegated (and there is a good chance)probably the sack. Why take the risk?

Leicester City need a firm hand with a lot of experience who will be hands on and be able to deliver a few well placed size 10s up a few rear ends. Mike is not that kind of manager.

MIKE! STAY WHERE YOU ARE! GET SOME EXPERIENCE AND FEEL THE LOVE AT LUTON. REMEMBER WHAT HAPPENED TO MICK HARFORD, THE LAST PROGRESSIVE UP AND COMING, DESTINED FOR GREAT THINGS, LUTON MAN? WHERE IS HE NOW? THINGS CAN GO MAMMARIES SKYWARDS IN NO TIME.

It's difficult to know exactly what's going on with Newell - there seems to be so much innuendo flying around - from himself, the LT chairman, and our chairman. It's all a bit vague.

Newell is in a relatively good position at Luton, all things considered. However, he has a habit of pressing the self-destruct button. If he's going to leave Luton, he'll want to be 100% sure of what he's getting himself into. I can't see how he could make that judgement at the moment.

If I were him, I'd want to wait until after the Derby match to see where LCFC are at. Sure City are a bigger club, but if we do go down, who knows what budget restrictions he might be placed under?

If he finished the season with Luton on a high (say, respectable play-off failure) and Paul Jewell went to Newcastle, might he not be in the frame to return to one of his other clubs, Wigan?

I just think he'd be a very brave man to potentially throw away the platform he has for himself at Luton.

"They've not offered me the job and until that happens there's nothing to talk about," he said.

"They approached Luton and asked to speak to me, which they have done, but I am sure they have spoken to a lot of other people as well.

"I'm not considering going until something comes up that I'd consider going for.

"Leicester have not offered me the job. If they did then I'd have to think about it, but that hasn't happened and I'm enjoying the job here."

It's difficult to know exactly what's going on with Newell - there seems to be so much innuendo flying around - from himself, the LT chairman, and our chairman. It's all a bit vague.

Newell is in a relatively good position at Luton, all things considered. However, he has a habit of pressing the self-destruct button. If he's going to leave Luton, he'll want to be 100% sure of what he's getting himself into. I can't see how he could make that judgement at the moment.

If I were him, I'd want to wait until after the Derby match to see where LCFC are at. Sure City are a bigger club, but if we do go down, who knows what budget restrictions he might be placed under?

If he finished the season with Luton on a high (say, respectable play-off failure) and Paul Jewell went to Newcastle, might he not be in the frame to return to one of his other clubs, Wigan?

I just think he'd be a very brave man to potentially throw away the platform he has for himself at Luton.

He had to sell Curtis Davies for 3.5 million and he was given 100k of that to re-invest in the squad. The stadium holds about 10k and any attempts to move grounds seems to always be met with failure.

He has loads of reasons to want to leave.

mike newall is a good manager, but is he the RIGHT one 4 us, because he may have done well at luton, but mihgt not be able 2 do the same here as we are a different team, we are a much bigger side than them.

Well that just about covers every manager currently in work that we are likely to get and who wants someone that is out of work because they've failed?

newell admits to Leicester talk

' Luton manager Mike Newell has admitted having talks with Leicester about their vacant manager's job - but says they have yet to offer him the position.

Newell told BBC sport: 'leicester approached Luton and asked to speak to me which they have done.

'There is no situation. I have not been offered the job. Unless that happens i have got nothing to think about.

'if they did i would have to think about it but i am happy here and enjoying the job'

THIS IN OTHER WORDS MEANS MIKE NEWELL WILL BE COMING TO LEICESTER

newell admits to Leicester talk

' Luton manager Mike Newell has admitted having talks with Leicester about their vacant manager's job - but says they have yet to offer him the position.

Newell told BBC sport: 'leicester approached Luton and asked to speak to me which they have done.

'There is no situation. I have not been offered the job. Unless that happens i have got nothing to think about.

'if they did i would have to think about it but i am happy here and enjoying the job'

THIS IN OTHER WORDS MEANS MIKE NEWELL WILL BE COMING TO LEICESTER

How?

well he says ' if they did i would have to think about it' and surely leicester have to offer him the job after he has said that. He is a quality manager!

Since when has 'thinking about' ever meant yes? Just because he would have to think about doesn't mean he'll definatley come should we offer him the job.

Since when has 'thinking about' ever meant yes? Just because he would have to think about doesn't mean he'll definatley come should we offer him the job.

Well he is obviously not happy at Luton, with all the stadium situation and everything and he has got to further his career at some point.

Aswell as this, he is bound to earn more money at leicester than at luton.

I am confident he will come to leicester.

Im just praying its not Ian Holloway.

The squad Leicester have at the moment dictates that we should look to appoint a manager who likes to play football. Therefore Newell is a better bet than Holloway.

Also the quotes from Newell imply to me that he would probably make his way up to Leicester if offered the job.

I read this as him covering his arse. It was well reported that he had spoken to us, so he obviously flet he couldn't deny it. He's then said the only thing he can say to leave him with some creditibility with the Luton fans.. There hasn't been an offer and he has a job etc... If he wasn't interested he would say so. He's hedging his bets in case we don't offer it to him.

Cahill in the meantime is deflecting speculation by talking about a shortlist of 2-3 at the end of the week. They will probably unveil Newell on Monday or tuesday unless someone else we haven't thought of is in the frame, otherwise I don't see anyone else being close.

I have heard that Newell will definitely be our manager, and they will try to unveil him tomorrow, if not Tuesday at the latest.

The papers, on the other hand, seem to think that it's Holloway. Whether or not this is just lazy journalism (i.e. one paper picking up on a stupid rumour and the rest just regurtitating it) remains to be seen.

The fact that we've seen no quotes from Holloway about the supposed link to Leicester puzzles me. I hope it's not an indication that he's been offered the job and is refusing comment. I'm not sure Hollaway is the right man for us and, given the choice betwen the two, I'd much rather see Newell appointed.

The papers, on the other hand, seem to think that it's Holloway. Whether or not this is just lazy journalism (i.e. one paper picking up on a stupid rumour and the rest just regurtitating it) remains to be seen.

The fact that we've seen no quotes from Holloway about the supposed link to Leicester puzzles me. I hope it's not an indication that he's been offered the job and is refusing comment. I'm not sure Hollaway is the right man for us and, given the choice betwen the two, I'd much rather see Newell appointed.

I agree Newell over Holloway any day! But Newell says he's spoken to the board, but hasn't been offered the job..??

Why don't we offer Newell the Job..??

Archived