Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ricey

Mike Newell

From RN Fox on another site:

Mike Newell will soon be named the new manager of LCFC.

A good friend of mine who works at Luton told me last night that Mike Newell will finish at Luton this week. I am a bit gutted as Steve Cotterill was the first choice and thats where my money went but we cannot seem to prise him away. Newell is the second choice and despite initially distancing himself from the job has now accepted the offer and will join us.#

Great young manager, a real scoop for the board and Tim Davies - come on you foxes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From BOB HAZELL on another site:

Good work, RN...;)

Just down to TD to sort the compo out.....

Both are reliable inside sources.

I really hope this happens, I rate Newell incredibley. What he has achieved at Hartlepool and Luton can't be questioned, he certainly has a better record than Cotterill.

From RN Fox on another site:

From BOB HAZELL on another site:

Both are reliable inside sources.

I really hope this happens, I rate Newell incredibley. What he has achieved at Hartlepool and Luton can't be questioned, he certainly has a better record than Cotterill.

would be exiting if it was true ill wait till he has come thru the doors of the walkers to celebrate

I'll welcome Newell. He's not my first choice, but only because I didn't think we would be able to get him. He has got a better record than Cotterill and he likes to play good football, which is always nice and something this team needs.

Not going to say too much until it's done and dusted, but it sounds promising.

I'll welcome Newell. He's not my first choice, but only because I didn't think we would be able to get him. He has got a better record than Newell and he likes to play good football, which is always nice and something this team needs.

Would you take Newell ahead of Cotterill? If it was your choice.

I'll welcome Newell. He's not my first choice, but only because I didn't think we would be able to get him. He has got a better record than Newell and he likes to play good football, which is always nice and something this team needs.

Newell has a better record than Newell?? :D

I'd be pleased with Newell as well to be honest, would probably be my first choice. Although Im suprised we have enough money left to sign a manager already at a club, I was expecting us to be after someone unemployed.

Newell has a better record than Newell?? :D

I'd be pleased with Newell as well to be honest, would probably be my first choice. Although Im suprised we have enough money left to sign a manager already at a club, I was expecting us to be after someone unemployed.

I'm presuming Dublin and De Vries were on fairly big contracts, so that would of freed up some money.

I'm presuming Dublin and De Vries were on fairly big contracts, so that would of freed up some money.

Plus selling Gilbert, Wright and Wilcox.

We also have the million from Connolly coming so there's some cash about albeit very little. Luton are a very small club and Newell won't be on alot of money, I doubt the compensation would be anymore than what we paid Levein to come here.

Shame Newell has the personality of a dead badger. Levein comes over like a comedian compared to him.

That's my only concern, but he's managed to turn a shocking Luton team in to premiership hopefulls and gave us a right going over earlier in the season.

I also remember Rob Kelly saying " we can now bring someone else in" when De Vries ( totally bizzare Herenvean want him in my opinion, aint they got that ex PSV player who scores about every game ) went.

and by that he must of ment a manager. However I would think we are still paying a bit of De Vries's wages

I hope this all true, but I will wait and see, as this isn't the first thread about us definately having a new manager is it. Newhall would be a excellent appointment.

Shame Newell has the personality of a dead badger. Levein comes over like a comedian compared to him.

It's for that reason that I didn't want him as City manager when Adams left. However, as shown by the bung scandal, he has a lot of guts and character.

I think he just doesn't like talking to the press.

I also remember Rob Kelly saying " we can now bring someone else in" when De Vries ( totally bizzare Herenvean want him in my opinion, aint they got that ex PSV player who scores about every game ) went.

and by that he must of ment a manager. However I would think we are still paying a bit of De Vries's wages

I hope this all true, but I will wait and see, as this isn't the first thread about us definately having a new manager is it. Newhall would be a excellent appointment.

He was my choice before Levein so I would be delighted. Attacking outlook. Potentially super decision if it comes about.

Be optimistic :):):)

I am being optomostic, very infact. I really hope it gets done before Saturday! going to see the Mrs in Manchester on Saturday and will be meeting one of her housemates for the first time, guess who he suppourtes?

The one and only Luton Town. :whistle:

Only a rumour, so i'm not getting my hopes up!! I see this as another wind up, unitl it 's concrete i will be watching this space!!

Sorry for being so negative!!!

Surprised by how excited everybody is about this, not least because none of it has been confirmed yet. On a note of caution, I should point out that when Newell managed Hartlepool in 02-03 he won promotion, but the fans almost universally called for him to be sacked. He took over a side who were excelling in League Two and suffered a severe downturn in form. It was only the points tally prior to his takeover that secured promotion. At Luton he had to deal with administration and won an outstanding promotion in his second season, then led Luton to the top half of the Championship the next year. That's an impressive achievement, but he actually received a lot of criticism in his first year at Luton, when the side were promotion favourites but only made it to mid-table. His tendency to struggle early on in a job, coupled with his - let's say - uncharismatic approach, give me a few causes for concern. That said, I've only ever called for one manager's head in my time as a City fan. I'll get behind him fully if he comes - just don't get too carried away. For me, if you're looking at managers' records, I'm surprised that Steve Tilson of Southend hasn't had more of a look-in. Whereas Newell inherited a promising squad and, with a few stutters, delivered on that promise, Tilson turned League Two relegation favourites into League One champions in two years.

if we do get newell then i would be happy.

im not bothered by his dry personality because he looks and sounds like he wont take any crap from anyone , board included.

wonder who he will move out and which of his old players will follow him?

Archived