Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ricey

Mike Newell

I have a very good mate who is a Luton fan and he is very nervous to say the least, he was 14 months ago before we got Levein, but now he is convinced he's off up the M1.

Newell certainly had a shaky start at Hartlepool he managed promotion after blowing a 14 point lead to Rushden & Diamonds. That said he was very honest when he explained the reasons for it, IIRC he said that the players had the bonus payments restructred by the Chairman because it was costing him too much and Newell also wanted to add some new faces but was denied the money he had been promised.

His start at Luton was controversial because the board chose him over the very popular Joe Kinnear who had brought them back up from Division 3. Despite being Luton playing hero the fans were slow to take to him. A mid table finish first off wasn't bad and for a time a run at the play-offs was possible before injuries and suspensions hit.

Now he is thoroughyl cheesed off with the delays in the new stadium of any sort and has publicly slated the board on a number of occasions. I wouldn't be suprised t see him here by Monday and I wouldn't be disappointed, but I wouldn't be ecstatic either.

I don't care if he has the persona of a dullard, if he wins enough games for us to be safe, then competitive next season then he is our man.

I have a very good mate who is a Luton fan and he is very nervous to say the least, he was 14 months ago before we got Levein, but now he is convinced he's off up the M1.

Newell certainly had a shaky start at Hartlepool he managed promotion after blowing a 14 point lead to Rushden & Diamonds. That said he was very honest when he explained the reasons for it, IIRC he said that the players had the bonus payments restructred by the Chairman because it was costing him too much and Newell also wanted to add some new faces but was denied the money he had been promised.

His start at Luton was controversial because the board chose him over the very popular Joe Kinnear who had brought them back up from Division 3. Despite being Luton playing hero the fans were slow to take to him. A mid table finish first off wasn't bad and for a time a run at the play-offs was possible before injuries and suspensions hit.

Now he is thoroughyl cheesed off with the delays in the new stadium of any sort and has publicly slated the board on a number of occasions. I wouldn't be suprised t see him here by Monday and I wouldn't be disappointed, but I wouldn't be ecstatic either.

I don't care if he has the persona of a dullard, if he wins enough games for us to be safe, then competitive next season then he is our man.

I think the ground problem you mentioned is a major handicap as far as MN is concerned. He seems to have become fed up with false promises over a period of time and when there was not far into a five figure gate for that wonderful game with Liverpool it must have been disheartening even though it was on television.

He knows Leicester have a cracking ground and marvellous core support which wouldn't slip much even if they were relegated.

Newell might recognise that the potential for SUSTAINED progress at Leicester looks a lot greater than down the road.

I'd definitely have Newell over Cotterill (but I'd have Davies over Newell) and the rumours of him coming here make sense if you think about it. He must have been on our manager list and yet while other clubs have turned us down publicly nothing has come out of Luton, suggesting they might have let him interview. That said, I'll believe it when I see it - my heart has already been broken by no sign of Lennon :(

I hate The Sun, as it really is the epitome of the gutter press, but I have to take my hat off to their Sports hacks. They do have amazingly good connections and are right more often than not.

That said, I will start celebrating when I get confirmation....

From Team Talk:

moz-screenshot.jpg

40788.jpg

Newell: Reports link him to Leicester

Tomlins: Newell is staying

Luton chairman Bill Tomlins has underlined his determination to keep boss Mike Newell at Kenilworth Road despite interest from Leicester City.

Reports claimed Newell was ready to walk away from the Hatters but Tomlins insisted that the manager was happy to remain at the club.

"We have had no official approach from Leicester," Tomlins said.

"I can understand why there is speculation, but I do not want to lose him.

"Mike is a former Leicester player, but he is very happy at Luton and we have a very good relationship.

"He is a very good manager and we are 100% committed to hanging onto him."

Tomlins added: "There may come a time when Mike moves on - but I imagine it would be to a club in a higher league."

I'd be happy with Mike Newell. He's won just under half the games he's been in charge at Luton, which is nearing 150 games, great record. I know most were in League 1 but he's carried it on into the Championship. If this goes through I just hope he doesn't bring that Enoch Showunmi with him!! :rolleyes:

Still, I'd be suprised he left Luton to join us. Newell IN for me.

This is getting good!

Iv been reading all the rumours over the past week and they are a good laugh. Its quite funny how some people want to be the "one" to get the correct rumour. Each new rumour is trying to cancell out the other! Its a good read so keep it up.

I dont mind who comes in as long as they can get us out of this mess and then will be allowed to build on this squad over the summer. We need results now and THEN think about the future.

IMO, someone who has had experience in this league really recently would be the best solution - ie. someone like Newell or Cotterill.

And i wouldnt mind if its resolved soon!

He was doing well at Norwich before he fell out with the chairman and quit!! I think Norwich are bigger than Luton dont you?

Yes, he was in about the same position Luton are now, at the time it was considered Norwich were under-achieving, so in that sense Newell has had a comparable career so far.

whoever comes in (Newell, Cotterill, Davies, Reid ok maybe not Reid) I just hope we give them all the support they need cos the team needs to stay up and should stay up with the talent within it. If we can get Newell or Cotterill I think it would be a coup so stop moaning about their records (which are both very good).

Yes, he was in about the same position Luton are now, at the time it was considered Norwich were under-achieving, so in that sense Newell has had a comparable career so far.

You make your point well..... However Mike Newell is no MON. We should stop comparing people to him and just pray whoever comes in can keep us up. I think we should stick with Rob Kelly til end of season

Archived