Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Phube

If Arsenal win the CL...

If they do win (which I personally hope they don't) then in 39 years British teams in Europe would have lost all identity.

From Celtic winning in '67 where everyone in the team was born within 30 mins of Celtic Park to Arsenal who don't even have 1 British player in their WHOLE 16 man sqaud!! :mad::cry:

That's why I'm going for Barcelona!!

If they do win (which I personally hope they don't) then in 39 years British teams in Europe would have lost all identity.

From Celtic winning in '67 where everyone in the team was born within 30 mins of Celtic Park to Arsenal who don't even have 1 British player in their WHOLE 16 man sqaud!! :mad::cry:

It's down to UEFA to embark on putting some rules in place, but until then you can't really fault Arsenal too much. The football they play is unbelievable and perhaps they wouldn't be able to achieve that with run of the mill English players? I do find it embarrassing that they have hardly any English or even British players though.

Doesn't it just reflect the cultural melting pot that is London? And I know he's the only one being named, but they do have Ashley.

But times have changed, and I for one would not mind seeing Arsenal win, as they have excited ever so many spectators these last few years. I felt they deserved to win a couple of years back, with their high pace flowing creative play, and yesterday they showed it again.

I don't care where they come from or if they were called Arsenal, Inter Milan, Dynamo Kiyv or St. Truidense VV, but then again, I'm not British so it doesn't affect me that much...

We're no different. Many of our fans, though not all, get more excited about bringing someone in from afar than developing our own.

Some do, a lot don't though.

The people that do get excited about foreign players signing do so because Leicester traditionally sign lower league British players, the odd foreign is good to freshen things up but if we had a team full of them then I'm sure most of the fans would be calling for Britsh players especially from the academy.

We're no different. Many of our fans, though not all, get more excited about bringing someone in from afar than developing our own.

Am I the only one that watches Arsenal and is thankful that Cesc Fabregas and Thierry Henry are displaying their genius on these shores not in Spain and France? I very much doubt Arsenal wish they had Ray parlour and Niall Quinn stil playing for them instead of these two just because they are home grown.

Am I the only one that watches Arsenal and is thankful that Cesc Fabregas and Thierry Henry are displaying their genius on these shores not in Spain and France? I very much doubt Arsenal wish they had Ray parlour and Niall Quinn stil playing for them instead of these two just because they are home grown.

Amen to that.

The ideal surely would be to have English players as good as Henry & Fabergas, so the question is does theirs, and the many other 'foreign players' act as barrier to the development of equivalent English players or as an incentive?

Why? - How many british players do Barcelona have?

Do you think if Walcott was French he'd be in the team by now?

No.

He's not as good as Reyes, Van Persie or Henry yet. ;)

Arsene wouldn't have spent an obscene amount of money on him if he didn't plan on playing him at soem point.

The ideal surely would be to have English players as good as Henry & Fabergas, so the question is does theirs, and the many other 'foreign players' act as barrier to the development of equivalent English players or as an incentive?

I think the absaloute class players liek Henry and Cesc only help to increase the standard of our national league and act as inspiration to young British players. i think the main complaints are about when mediocre foreign players are perceived to take the place of youn English players. Evidence at the moment suggests that the best players like Ashley Cole, John Terry e.tc can break through at a top club but the mediocre one slike Pennant, Bently and what not will have to move ob.

Everyone is a winner.

I'd understand the argument against Arsenal more if the English national side was a pile of cack. However, the consensus seems to be that, barring injuries to Gerrard and Rooney, we have never had a better chance of winning the World Cup.

To me, that suggests the influx of foreign players can't be having an adverse effect on our own players. A successful International squad needs 14-16 world class players maximum. England aren't far off that (12-13?).

As for the other 500 players that make up the Premiership, who cares? Will it harm Theo Walcott to train alongside Thierry Henry and Robin Van Persie for a couple of seasons before he makes his England bow?

If Leicester win the Champions League in 25 years time with no English/British players, will the 20,000 Foxes cheering them on in the Bernabeu have lost their identity? I don't think so.

Why? - How many british players do Barcelona have?

Yeah but they have the same number of British players as The Arse' and as I've actually been to the Nou Camp and not Highbury. Then I'd rather Barca win it. But to be honest I loose interest in the CL when the 'British' teams are out. So I don't really care either way!!

Yeah but they have the same number of British players as The Arse' and as I've actually been to the Nou Camp and not Highbury. Then I'd rather Barca win it. But to be honest I loose interest in the CL when the 'British' teams are out. So I don't really care either way!!

Get off your high horse. Campbell is out and cleary has a problem, thats not Arsenals fault. They produced Englands player of the tournament @ Euro 2004, and are attempting to devleop English talent in the youth and reserve team. People forget we have fielded a team without a single Englishmen ( because as far as footballs concerned there is no such thing as Britian ) plenty of times this season so we of all people shouldn't talk.

They play blinding football, their suppourters are no where near as cocky as the manc scumers or chelski's. I have alot of time for Arsenal FC.

Get off your high horse. Campbell is out and cleary has a problem, thats not Arsenals fault. They produced Englands player of the tournament @ Euro 2004,

Strange - I don't EVER recall Wayne Rooney wearing a gooners shirt... :unsure:

I'd understand the argument against Arsenal more if the English national side was a pile of cack. However, the consensus seems to be that, barring injuries to Gerrard and Rooney, we have never had a better chance of winning the World Cup.

To me, that suggests the influx of foreign players can't be having an adverse effect on our own players. A successful International squad needs 14-16 world class players maximum. England aren't far off that (12-13?).

As for the other 500 players that make up the Premiership, who cares? Will it harm Theo Walcott to train alongside Thierry Henry and Robin Van Persie for a couple of seasons before he makes his England bow?

If Leicester win the Champions League in 25 years time with no English/British players, will the 20,000 Foxes cheering them on in the Bernabeu have lost their identity? I don't think so.

Post. :thumbup:

There is no evidence whatsover that an influx of foriegn players damages the national side. Italy have had it for years and they are a very succesful footballing nation. As you point out, we have our most talented squad in years during a time when there are more foreign players than ever.

I think foreign players have helped turn around our game form kick and rush into a more sophisticated and entertaining game. Players like Joe Cole, Rooney, Gerrard are amonst the most technically gifted int he world. I am sure they take at least soem of their inspiration from the many brilliant foreign fotballers around them.

Without doubt and if you want an example that's why we've got so few decent goalkeepers in the land when once, Leicester City themselves had two goalkeepers of their own who were both better than any English goalkeeper today - and by a distance.

I've got nothing against exceptional foreign players like Henry, Fabregas, Bergkamp of old. It's all the makeweights who have jumped on the bandwagon with em...like that bloke that trialed for the reserves the other night.

Every one of such players costs one of our own a game and quite possibly a career.

our national players will only get better playing against world class players week in week out. arsenal dont have as big a budget as man u or chelsea have so they need to find the cheapest players and top class english players will be sold for alot of money. if most players were english in the prem they wouldnt be able to improve that much which has been shown in scotland IMO.

how many English players do we have in our first choice starting line up?

only Fryatt and Stearman!!!

as all nations are seperate under UEFA so you can't count players from Scotland, Wales or Nth Ireland as home grown players

Why not look at it this way if English players are so good why are they not lured by big foreign clubs?

A: they're too expensive

B: there is only a handful of them that can compete on a European stage.

Also, how good is it for a club to buy a cheap foreign player and then sell him for a good profit?

Hasselbaink at Leeds

Boateng at Cov

Yakubu at Pompey

etc

Archived