Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Phube

If Arsenal win the CL...

Who are the 12/13 world class England players?

1. Steven Gerrard

2. Frank Lampard

3. Wayne Rooney

4. David Beckham

5. Matty Fryatt

6. Michael Owen

7. John Terry

8. Ashley Cole

9. Rio Ferdinand

I'm stuck at 9 :ermm:

Thats a matter of opinion, I ment to put arguable in my orginal post. Ashley Cole was stunning during that tournament.

Your right on the spot there, he was amazing all through the tournament and especially in the quarter finals against Portugal, when he made Cristiano Ronaldo look worse than Momo Sylla. :blink:

you guys are joking.

if you can base this on the same ability given in FM what would you say?

Continental or World Class

most of the Eng team barring rooney and lampard is continental at best.

<_< Micheal Owen will become Englands highest ever goal scorer before he retires

<_< Ashley Cole Is better then Roberto Carlos or Gabriel Heinze IMO, I wouldnt call them Contiental class.

<_< John Terry could arguable walk into any defense going to the world cup

besises the FM thing is REPUTATION, i.e not based on Talent. So you'd have in include Beckham as well :rolleyes:

I don't blame Wenger one jot for the lack of English players in his line up.

Look at the combined cost of players like Eboue, Toure, Senderos (slowly maturing into a good performer now), Fabregas, Van Persie etc. Compare that to what you would pay for English players of the same age.

The example I like to use is Eboue against Glen Johnson - £5.5m difference in terms of transfer cost - absolutely ridiculous considering Eboue is a far better performer than Johnson

Similarly are you likely to sign an English player of Van Persie's class for £3m? There are no direct comparisons with RvP's style of play but with players like Ashton going for £7.5 and Andy Johnson likely to fetch a similar amount, who is getting the best deal.

If it wasn't for various things, Campbell and Cole would be in that side. Also don't forget who Wenger has just splashed £15m+ on.

The example I like to use is Eboue against Glen Johnson - £5.5m difference in terms of transfer cost - absolutely ridiculous considering Eboue is a far better performer than Johnson

At least Johnson doesn't have all the shocking histrionics the Eboue does, last night he was awful I'm sure twice his career was over. But seconds later he was sprinting again!! :mad:

By the way Everyone should put a sneaky bet on Aresenal winning the whole thing as I don't want them too, just like I wanted them to lose against Real and Juve. So it's really a dead cert.!! :angry:

you guys are joking.

Bollocks.

I define world class as a player that wouldn't look out of place ina world 11. Or you wouldn't be called an idiot for putting them in there.

Rooney, Lampard, Gerrard, Ferdinand, Terry, Ashly Cole and David Beckham can all undoubtedly make that claim. It could be argued that Owen and Joe Cole are not too far off.

Bollocks.

I define world class as a player that wouldn't look out of place ina world 11. Or you wouldn't be called an idiot for putting them in there.

Rooney, Lampard, Gerrard, Ferdinand, Terry, Ashly Cole and David Beckham can all undoubtedly make that claim. It could be argued that Owen and Joe Cole are not too far off.

I agree with most of what you say but how many of the above would you have in your starting 11?

None of them would start for me!

you guys are joking.

I suppose, its where you draw the line.

I don't know what "continental" means, but I'd say Robinson, Cole.J, Cole.A, Neville.G, Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney, Owen, and Terry are world class. Campbell and Ferdinand are sometimes, and used in small doses, Teddy Sheringham is still world class too, although this is obviously my slightly eccentric opinion. :)

I agree with most of what you say but how many of the above would you have in your starting 11?

None of them would start for me!

Terry and Ash Cole. A fit David Beckham might sneak in their too but I really like Stankovic on the right at the moment.

Didn't Leicester put out a 16 earlier this season under Levein with NO English players?

That'd be ok as long as others weren't doing it. :rolleyes:

Anyway lets say Eng have 11 world class players. They still wouldn't win s*** Germany on the other hand are always in with a shout and they dont have many worrld class players. Because they have a winning mentality.

They were whipped 5-1 by England on home soil in 2001. Yet they were WC runners up in 2002.

Exactly, certain people do forget certain things very easily. However I suppouse because a few were "British" that makes it ok :angry:.

Well to me it does make it Okay. It's a passport thing. Can anybody give me the squad of 16 which didn't contain and 'English' players, 'cause people keep saying it but I'd like to see the squad myself!!

• 3 weeks later...

Arsenal are going home then! :rolleyes:

:mad:

Atleast Arsene Wenger put 1 Englishman in the team tonight :unsure::rolleyes:

Apparently (According to ITV :unsure:) Arsenal havn't picked/fielded an English side since Novemeber.

"The English team with a French accent" (ITV)

I'll be rooting for Barcelona in the final but can see Arsenal winning sadly,it's an insult to our country that they are neglecting British players :angry:

Exactly, Same here.

Arsenal your an English club, Stop taking the piss and play some English...even British players will do, I'm not expecting a whole 11 English/British players but don't take the piss. :thumbup:

C'MON BARCA

Damn straight, they should have recalled Justin Hoyte to replace Eboue, and perhaps drafted Ryan Smith in for Hleb. Honestly the comment about 'neglecting' English players is one of the most ridiculous things I've read for a while, kudos.

Also what is the difference between fielding a Scottish player and for example a French player when the team is representing English football. It's like the crap people spout when they talk about a 'British' manager for the England job.

I'm pleased that Arsenal are there because they are a british club, but im not as ecstatic as i was when Man Utd and Liverpool got there.

Still I will now be rooting for Arsenal.

Arsenal are going home then! :rolleyes:

:mad:

Atleast Arsene Wenger put 1 Englishman in the team tonight :unsure::rolleyes:

Apparently (According to ITV :unsure:) Arsenal havn't picked/fielded an English side since Novemeber.

"The English team with a French accent" (ITV)

The commentator said Campbell was the first Englishman to play for Arsenal in the Champions League since November.

He's played league games since then.

By the way Everyone should put a sneaky bet on Aresenal winning the whole thing as I don't want them too, just like I wanted them to lose against Real and Juve. So it's really a dead cert.!! :angry:

I think everyone should have taken this advice!!!

But still C'MON BARCA!!!!!!

Archived