Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Andrew Taylor's 2nd Interview

I don't know if you saw the first but here's the second - Discuss Please?

TRANSFER CASH? WE DON'T HAVE A SUGAR DADDY LURKING IN THE WINGS. I WISH WE DID'

Be the first reader to comment on this story

10:30 - 27 April 2006

In the second of a two-part feature, Leicester City chairman Andrew Taylor reveals how he plans to bring more cash into the club - and the City director who supports Wolves. Lee Marlow reports

New Leicester City chairman Andrew Taylor doesn't like turbulence at football clubs. In nearly 30 years as a City fan, he has never booed a Leicester player, manager or director - and he's had ample opportunity - and he says he finds managerial merry-go-rounds "distasteful".

Back in January, though, when struggling City boss Craig Levein was shown the door, he admits he was relieved.

"It just wasn't working, was it?" he says. "I like the little things Rob Kelly has done since he's taken over.

"We used to go out under Craig Levein playing like we didn't want to lose. Now we go out looking to win. You can see the difference.

"I'm a big fan of Rob's. He's an impressive guy who has worked miracles here."

So what would happen if Rob Kelly comes to you this summer and says "I want this player, he'll be good for us, but he's going to cost £600,000"?

"No," he says, quickly. "We couldn't do that. He has to play with the hand he's been dealt."

So what can we afford?

"I think that's a matter for the boardroom, really."

Okay, so with City about to lose their £7 million Premiership parachute payments this summer, how do you expect to fill that financial gap?

"We don't have a sugar daddy character lurking in the wings, I'm afraid. I wish we did," he says.

"I would be genuinely happy to be the shortest-serving chairman in our club's history and hand over to him, but, unfortunately, I don't think that will happen.

"There are several things we can do. We can look at a rights issue, asking our investors to put in more of their money.

"We can trade players. I don't want to do that. Joey (Gudjonsson, midfielder) is going this season. Danny (Tiatto) is, well, his contract is up."

So most of it will have to come from the fans then?

"Some of it will, yes. We sold 14,000 season tickets this season. Four years ago, we sold 21,000. We need to find those 7,000 missing fans.

"It can't be right, either, that I'm paying less for my season ticket today - what with loyalty discounts/early bird discounts - than I was five years ago."

It's a strange feeling, arguing economics with the former chief executive of McDonald's, but this is all relative, isn't it?

Four years ago, City were playing in the Premiership - fans expect to pay a bit more to see Manchester United and Chelsea rather than Crewe or Burnley.

Earlier, you were talking fondly about it being 30p to get in the Kop when you first came to City as a student and how football needs to be accessible to all fans.

Put the ticket prices up and people will stay away, won't they?

"Season ticket price decreases just aren't sustainable - and let's face it," he says, "the match day experience today is much better than it was in 1977.

"I see it like this - if we play attractive, attacking and successful football, the fans will return.

"I'd love to see more Fans' Fixtures, for example.

"We need to tease out the audience, but introduce too many Fans' Fixtures and you upset your season ticket holders.

"I need to look at ways of increasing all our revenue streams."

Mr Taylor is still finding his feet at Filbert Way. Chief executive Tim Davies will run the show on a day-to-day basis, while the chairman has been brought in to oversee a "more strategic" commercial approach.

"This is a big city," he says. "We're the only football team. About 70 per cent of our fans were born within a 20-mile radius of the ground and there are more out there. Compared to other clubs, that's a lot. My focus is on growing our support."

Are we that desperate for money, for example, that we have to have the extra time sponsored? That's madness, isn't it?

"Hmmm. I don't know what that's about. I do take your point," he says.

"We do need club sponsors. They are vital. I think there are worse examples of that kind of thing at other football clubs - I couldn't see the time at the Coventry stadium the other week for the jumble of sponsors.

"To be honest, if it brings in some money, then let's be realistic, it's money we need."

What about using the Walkers Stadium for other things - big concerts, for example?

"I would love to see that here," he says.

"I noticed Red Hot Chili Peppers are playing at Coventry. Rod Stewart played at Derby, too, didn't he?

"I'd love something like that at City - it would be good for the club, good for the fans, good for the whole city."

Is it true the Walkers Stadium can only cope with a reduced capacity for concerts because of the steel used in constructing the stadium?

"Is that right? I don't know about that. I'll need to look into that. That would be a shame."

Can I ask you about one of your fellow directors at City, Martin Glenn?

"A good man and a terrific businessman. I worked with him before. A very impressive chap."

Is he - crucially - a Leicester City fan?

Pause.

"No."

He's a Wolves fan, isn't he?

"I believe he is, yes," he says. "Martin doesn't tend to come to City/Wolves games, I can tell you that much. Is who he supports relevant?"

I think it's a fair enough question to ask, isn't it?

"Martin Glenn helped to rescue this club. He wasn't even a director then. He's worked hard for Leicester City.

"The purpose of a board of directors is to look after the fiscal responsibility of a club. He's doing that well."

For a club like City - "and, make no mistake, we're a proper football club. We know that and other club's know that, too" - the aim is obvious: The Premiership.

"That's the target," he says. "It has to be. That's where we need to be. The Premier League is Shangri-la time."

Unfortunately, there are 23 other teams in the Championship which feel exactly the same.

"We have to be realistic," he says. "Rob Kelly has spoken about being patient, building on what we have achieved so far. That's what we have to do.

"It's all about balance, isn't it? I think the balance is wrong at the minute. It's up to me and the people who work here to try to put it right."

if we're losin STH, then puttin the price up isnt guna help. we need to be in the prem before that can happen.he says its not right hes payin less than he was 5years ago.y isnt it right?were we nearly in league 1 then (div2)?hmmm dont think so!

an extra 50quid will make people reconsider.espec if hes talkin bout increasin fans fix.what if the squad is broken up again?what if we start the season the same as last?people will not wanna renew unless we're in the prem next season.

Quality, yet another Exec who doesn't have the slightest grasp of football.

The football experience is better than it was in 1977!!! What sitting in a sanitised atmosphere being told to sit down and pass a corporate flag over my head. Well I can tell you it is utter sh*te compare to 30 years ago. Proves how much of a fan he really is eh?

Second impressions and all that <_<

Quality, yet another Exec who doesn't have the slightest grasp of football.

The football experience is better than it was in 1977!!! What sitting in a sanitised atmosphere being told to sit down and pass a corporate flag over my head. Well I can tell you it is utter sh*te compare to 30 years ago. Proves how much of a fan he really is eh?

Second impressions and all that <_<

I was hoping someone would pick up on that as you say they live in a world of their own, they just don't know what it's like to exist in a world that is not pampered and where people don't pander to your every whim, surrounded by yes men so never really knowing what's going on.

The problem with these people is they can't quite grasp the fact that it can't be both a Community Club and a profit making business.

I found so many things in that article that either pissed me off or that I simple did not agree with. I'm now in two minds whether to renew my two season tickets. My despondency has reached a new level and it's not caused by the prospect of not getting promoted but by the total lack of confidence I now have in those that are running this show.

I was hoping someone would pick up on that as you say they live in a world of their own, they just don't know what it's like to exist in a world that is not pampered and where people don't pander to your every whim, surrounded by yes men so never really knowing what's going on.

The problem with these people is they can't quite grasp the fact that it can't be both a Community Club and a profit making business.

I found so many things in that article that either pissed me off or that I simple did not agree with. I'm now in two minds whether to renew my two season tickets. My despondency has reached a new level and it's not caused by the prospect of not getting promoted but by the total lack of confidence I now have in those that are running this show.

I don't think anyone has any illusions about making a profit from Leciester city, but the club as a business needs to match it's revenue and costs. You can spend more than you earn for only so long.

TBH I wouldn't be angry at the club for putting up the price od season tickets by another £50 or so, we are desperate for money as a club and I'd sooner we did that then have to sell a top player like Hume, Fryatt, Stearman etc.

I think Taylor makes some good points, he's been honest by not being all up the fans arses and promising allsorts of things.

It'll be interesting to see what changes the new man makes.

Would you STH's pay another 50 quid to keep the squad we have?
Yes I would, but that's because I'm that type of fan. I wouldn't be happy about doing it, however. And for every fan like myself, the club would probably lose 10 more, thus negating the £50 they've gained from me. If you get my drift.

Yes I would, but that's because I'm that type of fan. I wouldn't be happy about doing it, however. And for every fan like myself, the club would probably lose 10 more, thus negating the £50 they've gained from me. If you get my drift.

Frankly I'm going to be out of work come Christmas (long story) so any increase would certaainly blow me out come 2007/8 especially if we're still in the Championship, if by some massive stroke of fortune we get promoted I can see ticket prices rocketing by as much as £150

I quite don't know what i make of the article, in one sense he's saying it's very important to get back the fans (loss of 7000 ST holders) and in another sentence he's saying money must come from the fans ie raising ST prices, he's got me very confused, I take everything with a pince of salt, i'll just wait and see!!!!

Ironically I started a reply along the same lines and abandoned it out of sheer frustration and the prospect of being accused of harking back to the past. There is little comparison with the atmosphere of the past to the lack of atmosphere today so perfectly described by someone else as "sanitised".

Ironically I started a reply along the same lines and abandoned it out of sheer frustration and the prospect of being accused of harking back to the past. There is little comparison with the atmosphere of the past to the lack of atmosphere today so perfectly described by someone else as "sanitised".

I don't remember anyone opposing the construction of the Walkers particularly vociferously on that basis though? Not that whether they did or didn't makes any difference to your point. It's done now though. I would suggest that some fans would probably agree with him, but maybe not the ones who post on here :)

I don't remember anyone opposing the construction of the Walkers particularly vociferously on that basis though? Not that whether they did or didn't makes any difference to your point. It's done now though. I would suggest that some fans would probably agree with him, but maybe not the ones who post on here :)

Jon, but it's not just the building that's is sanitised, it's the attitude of the club and the safety people, plus on top of that you've got all this fake razzematazz (sp). Their idea of being a 'professional' football club takes away all sponteneity, originality, leaving no 'feeling' for the club.

It's not just the standium that is flatpack replica but the whole operation, where is anything that says this is Leicester City, blandness is written all over the club. football Clubs have become like City Centres with a global look, feel and presence.

This guy is beginning to worry me, he claims to want to bring back 7000 fans but quite clearly has no idea why they have become stayaways. I would pay an extra £100 on my season ticket if we could get the match day experience to be anything like it was in the early 90's at filbo but it just ain't gonna happen because they never really listen to what we the fans want. I'm now unsure whether i'll renew or not as i won't tollerate another mediocre season for the sake of some toffs wages. :angry:

Jon, but it's not just the building that's is sanitised, it's the attitude of the club and the safety people, plus on top of that you've got all this fake razzematazz (sp). Their idea of being a 'professional' football club takes away all sponteneity, originality, leaving no 'feeling' for the club.
In the FCC meetings, the issue of atmosphere has been discussed to a point where nothing new is being brought to the table ( :thumbup: jargon, you love it).

The club seems to think that by playing the right combination of music, etc will have the crowd rocking. Unfortunately, those of us who disagree are in the minority. I've posted elsewhere, but now the crowd claps along with the PHG when the players run onto the pitch, and when we score. Is this what we are reduced to? Next it will be cheerleaders if I don't keep my wits about me.

Trying to get through to them what made Filbo what it was doesn't register. I've mixed feelings about switching the Kop, it will be nice to have a bit of sun on me, and whilst I miss the banter of the good old days, I'm not missing the inane chavvy crews that are seemingly growing with their inane attempts.

One thing that will help improve the atmosphere is seeing passionate displays from the 11 on the pitch, something that's also been lacking for a long time. Choreographed attempts from the club clearly do not.

After the research that the then directors of the club had carried out to ensure that the Walkers would have great acoustics and harness all the good aspects of the stadia that had been visited, I was for the idea of moving. When I saw that basically they had built a replica of St Mary's with no thought, no originality, no acoustics, no identity, no focus and a pitch 30 metres away from the stands I realised that moving from Filbo had been a bad idea and the old directors had been on a long gravy train around europe doing sod all.

Let's just be happy that 4 years down the line Coventry have made all the same mistakes, idiots!

After the research that the then directors of the club had carried out to ensure that the Walkers would have great acoustics and harness all the good aspects of the stadia that had been visited, I was for the idea of moving. When I saw that basically they had built a replica of St Mary's with no thought, no originality, no acoustics, no identity, no focus and a pitch 30 metres away from the stands I realised that moving from Filbo had been a bad idea and the old directors had been on a long gravy train around europe doing sod all.

Let's just be happy that 4 years down the line Coventry have made all the same mistakes, idiots!

The only positive out of this stadium would be that it makes a better impression on players and therefore we should be able to attract a higher calibre, the fact that it has crippled us financially means the only postiive is null and void.

Right I have read that article again and like Leesoh, DavieG and Thracian I am stunned by some of it.

Despite my knockings about numbskulls in the past there are some people on here who know what is what even if I don't agree with them. So could one of you please explain to me:

Why should I pay more money to watch us play Hull City or Plymouth, than I did to watch Manchester United and Chelsea?

Surely as a marketing guru our New Kid on the Block would realise consumers ain't going to pay more for an inferior product. It doesn't happen.

Seems to me that he speaks the truth. If money isn't available, the only way to generate it is through paying customers.

Whilst my memory is not as lucid as some posters, I cannot accept that the match day experience is not better in many ways than 30 years ago. There is little or no violence, facilities are vastly improved and I'm happy to take Mrs Hullcox along knowing she can have a pie and a piss in reasonable comfort.

The atmosphere at the ground is generated by the fans. No if's, no buts.

The team's attitude and performance can spark off that atmosphere but if the fans don't make a noise, the atmosphere doesn't happen. Truth of the matter is that our fans are pants at times. The only time that we get more than 10,000 doing anything in unison is with the PHG being played.

We are however no different to many clubs.

As with many subscription based businesses, some customers will leave each year and others will join. Harping back to a by-gone age is fruitless in my opinion.

If we're top 6 at Christmas, the gates will be up to 27K and the atmosphere will be better. Guaranteed.

Why should I pay more money to watch us play Hull City or Plymouth, than I did to watch Manchester United and Chelsea?

Ermmm - Maybe you don't have to. You can always stay away.

Maybe the prices were too low when we were in the premiership.

Maybe inflation has had an impact.

Maybe as a business our income needs from paying customers has increased due to reducing income from other sources.

Just maybe's, hope they help.

Archived