Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Phube

MON XI

After listening to the Moan-In last night with Walshie and him talking about O'Neill, it got me thinking. Even though I know he played his part in many important games (Palace playoff, Arsesanl 3-3, Fulham League Cup), I don't think of Steve Walsh as a MON player?? This in turn lead me to thinking about what I consider 'THE' MON XI:

GK: Keller

CB: Taggart

CB: Elliott

CB: Sinclair

LWB: Guppy

CM: Savage

CM: Lennon

CM: Izzet

RWB: Impey

CF: Claridge

CF: Heskey

Subs: Flowers, Kaamark, Prior, Marshall, Cottee.

Any thoughts??

After listening to the Moan-In last night with Walshie and him talking about O'Neill, it got me thinking. Even though I know he played his part in many important games (Palace playoff, Arsesanl 3-3, Fulham League Cup), I don't think of Steve Walsh as a MON player?? This in turn lead me to thinking about what I consider 'THE' MON XI:

Any thoughts??

Got to be in starting XI

Any thoughts??

Agree with most of that but I'd have Kaamark in for Mad Frankie and Stan Collmore in for Steve Claridge. Always regret that the Collymore signing didn't work out. I thought Collymore and Heskey up front would have been an awesome long-term partnership.

Any thoughts??

Kaamark was a Mark McGhee signing.

Maybe Theo could take his place on the bench.

I'd also have Flowers in goal ahead of Keller.

Just to reiterate, this isn't the best team under Martin's regime... or even Matin's best signing. It's more of a 'When you think of a MON side, what team do you instantly think about' they might not have even played together!!

Weird I know... but that's me!!! :P

Just to reiterate, this isn't the best team under Martin's regime... or even Matin's best signing. It's more of a 'When you think of a MON side, what team do you instantly think about' they might not have even played together!!

Weird I know... but that's me!!! :P

Have to say I completely agree with your starting XI as the quintessential MON side. Although for some reason I'd have Eadie on the bench instead of Prior!

Have to say I completely agree with your starting XI as the quintessential MON side. Although for some reason I'd have Eadie on the bench instead of Prior!

That's the term I was looking for, cheers!!

Surely Pegguy should take his rightful place in the 16?

I know... it was so hard to leave him out... 3 fantastic keepers in such a short space of time!

Arphexad

Prior

Watts

Gilchrist

Ullathorne

Oakes

Zagorakis

Campbell

Wilson

Fenton

Gunnlaugsson

Martin's best signing... £2M :o

I do hope you're being funny!!! :rolleyes:lol

Arphexad

Prior

Watts

Gilchrist

Ullathorne

Oakes

Zagorakis

Campbell

Wilson

Fenton

Gunnlaugsson

Of those I think The Peg, Prior, Ullathorne and Theeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeooooo were all ok! Stef Oakes had his moments as well and the bald batty boy slammed home a few tidy long rangers!!!!

As a matter of fact, I can come up with a reason why all of them are better than the reprobates we employ today!

Keller

Walsh

Taggart

Elliott

Kaamark

Izzett

Lennon

Savage

Guppy

Marshall

Cottee

Subs

Peggy

Own goal king, Frank Sinclair

Claridge

Heskey

Theo Zagorakis

There were others but I think thats my top 16

Whenever somebody mentions the MON era I always think of 3 players that really stand out:

Cottee - scored winner v man utd at Old Trafford in 98

Guppy - was my favourite player growing up and got his name on the back of my earlier shirts

Elliott - Tranmere Wortho cup I'll always remember his two goals, This is where I think as a club we really peaked and it seemed to be pretty much downhill after this - Heskey left the following week :cry:

God those were the days eh? :cry:

When you remember back to where we were, an established Premiership side then and look where we are now it's sad.

But you have to believe those days will eventually return, though possibly not under the current manager.

Peaks and troughs have been constant features throughout our club's history.

By the way, anyone who thinks Walshy is somehow NOT part of a MON XI is doing the pair of them a massive disservice! :angry:

I always think:

Flowers

Sinclair

Elliott

Taggart

Impey

Guppy

Savage

Lennon

Izzet

Heskey

Cottee

Yep, this would be mine as well. Basically the first-choice XI for the first half of the 1999/2000 season. The previous three and a half seasons under O'Neill, the team never really had a settled feel to it but this was the definitive O'Neill first XI for me.

Archived