Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thracian

Most important team selection

The case could be made that Saturday's team selection for the match against Norwich could be the mst important of the season - even in our history.

Because surely it will reflect worthington's thoughts and therefore the way he will play his cards for our last five matches.

Question is what should he do.

a) Stick with experience but risk fielding players who have no great incentive to perform.

b) Risk being positive with a young but necessarily fairly inexperienced team.

c) Mix it up using people who might have a future here.

d) Simply pick his best available player for each position.

e) Defend for all he is worth.

It is not a position I'd envy and I'd never want to get myself into such a predicament in the first place but this is the team I'd choose.

Logan;

Stearman, McAuley, Kisnorbo, Tiatto;

King, Wesolowski, Porter;

Hammond, Fryatt, Hume.

Subs: Henderson, Nils, Jarrett, Gradel, Odhiambo.

That's a 4-3-3 going on 3-4-3 or even 2-4-3 depending on our situation and just about the best, most mobile team I can come up with.

There's as much movement as possible in that line-up, as much potential support for attacks and losts of chance of scoring the goals we will need to win the game.

The team tries to answer the question how do we score twice because odds are we'll concede at least once.

No-one is selected who definitely has no future at the club apart from tiatto (special situation) and Kisnorbo (moving on to better things in all likelihood). Therefore everyone is likely to give of their best.

I've even resisted the idea of using people who will not remain here on the substitutes bench because I just don't trust them.

The team is as risky as anything else but offers the chance for us to back the young and hungy policy we've so shamelessly and short-sightedly rejected.

If we're ever going to pass and move that team will give us the best chance.

Could we truly select a sufficiently ombative defensive team as an alternative. No from what I've seen. We're too slow, too small and too unreliable.

Waits for flak.

It's going to be interesting to see who he picks. Bearing in mind it's the first day he'll have met the players today. I put money on it there won't be any debuts from academy kids as they won't have been training with the first team.

Incidently, the Under 18's did beat Millwall 4-1 yesterday. McKay hat-trick and a Beswick penalty.

I hope he picks Wesolowski, Hume, Fryatt, Porter, Kisnorbo and McAuley. The rest i'm not fussed about.

I hope he picks Wesolowski, Hume, Fryatt, Porter, Kisnorbo and McAuley. The rest i'm not fussed about.

I agree :thumbup:

I think he should just pick the best players avaliable for each position.

The case could be made that Saturday's team selection for the match against Norwich could be the mst important of the season - even in our history.

Because surely it will reflect worthington's thoughts and therefore the way he will play his cards for our last five matches.

a) Stick with experience but risk fielding players who have no great incentive to perform.

It is not a position I'd envy and I'd never want to get myself into such a predicament in the first place but this is the team I'd choose.

Logan;

Hammond, Fryatt, Hume.

That's a 4-3-3 going on 3-4-3 or even 2-4-3 depending on our situation and just about the best, most mobile team I can come up with.

There's as much movement as possible in that line-up, as much potential support for attacks and losts of chance of scoring the goals we will need to win the game.

The team tries to answer the question how do we score twice because odds are we'll concede at least once.

No-one is selected who definitely has no future at the club apart from tiatto (special situation) and Kisnorbo (moving on to better things in all likelihood). Therefore everyone is likely to give of their best.

I've even resisted the idea of using people who will not remain here on the substitutes bench because I just don't trust them.

The team is as risky as anything else but offers the chance for us to back the young and hungy policy we've so shamelessly and short-sightedly rejected.

Could we truly select a sufficiently ombative defensive team as an alternative. No from what I've seen. We're too slow, too small and too unreliable.

Waits for flak.

Thats not to bad actually (Andy King aside of course)

You'll never get it though.

I'm guessing it will be something like

Henderson;

Maybury (or Kenton, depending on weather or not he decideds to use players he knows)

McAuley

Kisnorbo

Tiatto (I honestly think he will do that, if not it'll be Nills)

Hume or Newton

Hughes (the attacking flair :rolleyes: )

Jarret ( if Tiattos not playing there)

Porter

Horsfield/Hume

Fryatt

Doubt you see Stearman near the team, one to many younger players in there for worthes likeing already I feel.

Logan;

Hammond, Fryatt, Hume.

Sorry, but are you expecting Tiatto to get sent of or something lol

I'd pick the same 4-3-3, but Tiatto in for King (As I don't know how good he is) and Nils replacing Tiatto.

It's going to be interesting to see who he picks. Bearing in mind it's the first day he'll have met the players today. I put money on it there won't be any debuts from academy kids as they won't have been training with the first team.

Incidently, the Under 18's did beat Millwall 4-1 yesterday. McKay hat-trick and a Beswick penalty.

Mattock didn't play yesterday but I know he's on England duty but neither did King...

Am I reading too much into this?

Yeah, I'm sure he'll pick Logan. Makes sense to pick a young, inexperienced goalkeeper who's played about 10 matches in his entire career over Henderson, probably one of our most consistent performers this season.

Tiatto at left back aswell, a position he's probably played in twice in the last 4 years. Sounds perfect to me.

Ah King. Of course. A new manager who doesn't know anything about the club is going to pick a young player who has been overlooked by the management team for the whole year. If he has ever even heard of him, I'd be very surprised.

I can't even be bothered actually, I just looked at that team. Take a long hard look at yourself. A midfield of Weslowski, King and Porter? Are you fooking kidding me?

Henderson

Kenton, McAuley, Kisnorbo, Johansson

Newton, Tiatto, Weslowski, Porter

Hume, Fryatt

Logan, Stearman, Jarrett, Hammond, Horsfield

better. maybe Jarrett instead of Weslowski depending on James' fitness.

Logan;

Hammond, Fryatt, Hume.

Waits for flak.

I'm sorry but we are not going to get anywhere giving ourselves a disadvantage like that.

I think Wortho will go with what he knows best tomorow.

Henderson

Kenton

McAuley

Kisnorbo

Tiatto

Newton (Hume)

Jarret

Weso

Porter (If Miller has a say)

Horse

Hume/Fryatt

Logan;

Hammond, Fryatt, Hume.

Waits for flak.

do you really think this midfield can become a great midfield. If you look at all the succesful sides in the championship they usually have a good midfield. And to me i dont see that midfield being to great tbh. I cant comment much on King but i do no weslowski and porter aren't the best in the air, and any ball in the air is going to be lost. The midfield dosen't show much strength either and much experiance.

do you really think this midfield can become a great midfield. If you look at all the succesful sides in the championship they usually have a good midfield. And to me i dont see that midfield being to great tbh. I cant comment much on King but i do no weslowski and porter aren't the best in the air, and any ball in the air is going to be lost. The midfield dosen't show much strength either and much experiance.

very true, i think though if we get a couple of wins say in the next three games then for the last two he should give king a run out, see if he's upto the task

very true, i think though if we get a couple of wins say in the next three games then for the last two he should give king a run out, see if he's upto the task

yep definately, its always good to get some youngsters out if they are players that could have the skill or players that have been superb in the youth team and by the looks of it, they all seem to be doing well

King's meant to be pretty good in the air, and you don't exactly sign midfielders for their aerial prowess, it's a bonus.

King's meant to be pretty good in the air, and you don't exactly sign midfielders for their aerial prowess, it's a bonus.

no you don't but what happens when their is a loose ball in the air, and the difference is a knock down for hume to score or a clearence. I didn't realise King was good in the air tbh i was just putting a point across against that midfield as i think it lacks something.

Well he isn't going to début anyone so which ever way you mix it up the starting 11 will be more or less the same bunch of half hearted, overpaid dumb nuts that got us into this mess in the first place.

The only thing we can hope is that Worthington has it within him to get into their hearts & minds and drag out a performance that gets us points a performance that we know that many of them are capable of but have, for whatever reason been unable to show it.

Time to show they care for us or their careers it makes no difference to me but a modicum of pride in their performance even if it is to demonstrate to some other club that they are worth a wage.

Yeah, I'm sure he'll pick Logan. Makes sense to pick a young, inexperienced goalkeeper who's played about 10 matches in his entire career over Henderson, probably one of our most consistent performers this season.

Tiatto at left back aswell, a position he's probably played in twice in the last 4 years. Sounds perfect to me.

Ah King. Of course. A new manager who doesn't know anything about the club is going to pick a young player who has been overlooked by the management team for the whole year. If he has ever even heard of him, I'd be very surprised.

I can't even be bothered actually, I just looked at that team. Take a long hard look at yourself. A midfield of Weslowski, King and Porter? Are you fooking kidding me?

Henderson

Kenton, McAuley, Kisnorbo, Johansson

Newton, Tiatto, Weslowski, Porter

Hume, Fryatt

Logan, Stearman, Jarrett, Hammond, Horsfield

better. maybe Jarrett instead of Weslowski depending on James' fitness.

Where's your so marvellous midfield alternative that hasn't already failed us miserably?.

Or your left-back that hasn't done the same and certainly hasn't provided the attack with some support.

And why Logan's likely to ship more goals than Henderson I don't know. He wasn't nervous before why the hell should that change. But there are big enough signs that the pressure's getting to Henderson.

It isn't perfect. How the hell does anyone pick perfect?.

But it is an honest attempt to combat some our our failings cos I see no point in carrying on with the same tired recipe.

But fire away bright one. Who would you play?

Leeds once had the diminutive Bremner and Giles in their midfield -and it was just about the best I ever saw at one time.

Scholes, Giggs, Fletcher, Carrick are hardly giants but don't seem to do so badly either.

Besides, King is a six footer and a far better header of the ball than any of our senior midfielders.

Great midfield? All three are good footballers who play the ball quickly to feet. Let's see them build some confidence at Championship level before we talk about greatness.

All I'm looking for is something better than our midfield for the last two seasons.

at this stage in the season we cannot be playing 4-3-3 or 3-4-3 or 2-2-4 or anything but a solid 4-4-2 call me old fashinoed if you like.

Henderson

Kenton ??

McAuley

Kisnorbo

nissa

Newton

Jarret??

Weso

Porter

Hume

Fryatt

the only question marks are against kenton and jarret.

this team/formation coupled with a raised bar and we should be ok.

at this stage in the season we cannot be playing 4-3-3 or 3-4-3 or 2-2-4 or anything but a solid 4-4-2 call me old fashinoed if you like.

Henderson

Kenton ??

McAuley

Kisnorbo

nissa

Newton

Jarret??

Weso

Porter

Hume

Fryatt

the only question marks are against kenton and jarret.

Thiis team/formation coupled with a raised bar and we should be ok.

When has our tired 4-4-2 been solid? We've conceded goals at getting close to 1.5 a match and our last clean sheet was nine games ago. I'm not against 4-4-2 but not with the players we use.

When has our tired 4-4-2 been solid? We've conceded goals at getting close to 1.5 a match and our last clean sheet was nine games ago. I'm not against 4-4-2 but not with the players we use.

I understand where you are comming from but it really is the only option.

I believe the players under acheived under kelly primarially due to fitness and this cannot be fixes at this stage of the season.

I said after the plymouth game the only way we will get enough points is if the players have enough reserve fuel in the tank as they are running on empty. Hopefully wortho will be able to extract that littile bit of energy to get the 3 points form 5 games we need. if we are drawing, loosing or look dead ducks in any of the matches then yes change it but not at the start of a game.

We make enough errors with a 4-4-2, i cant help but think where we would be with the same errors playing a 4-3-3

If we beat norwich, then im all for your style of play for the final 4. But we need the 3 points 1st.

I understand where you are comming from but it really is the only option.

I believe the players under acheived under kelly primarially due to fitness and this cannot be fixes at this stage of the season.

I said after the plymouth game the only way we will get enough points is if the players have enough reserve fuel in the tank as they are running on empty. Hopefully wortho will be able to extract that littile bit of energy to get the 3 points form 5 games we need. if we are drawing, loosing or look dead ducks in any of the matches then yes change it but not at the start of a game.

We make enough errors with a 4-4-2, i cant help but think where we would be with the same errors playing a 4-3-3

If we beat norwich, then im all for your style of play for the final 4. But we need the 3 points 1st.

You make a good point about fitness and that is one of my reasons for wanting 4-3-3 tried.

Newton is not fit enough, hasn't been since he arrived. Consequently he's not been very effective as a winger or a midfielder and when he trailed back into defence he cost us a penalty.

Given we've no-one who's likely to be better on the right winger (forgetting Gradel) then why keep persisting with the position in a 4-4-2?

Furthermore if King were to play I wouldn't want it to be in a two-man midfield at this stage - it would be too vulnerable.

But King can provide a bit of width, so can Hammond and so can Stearman as an attacking full-back.

So, you really get 3-4-3 if we're going well and plenty of licence for King to get forward and join the attack which he wouldn't have as part of a two-man midfield - when he would never get chosen anyway.

You make a good point about fitness and that is one of my reasons for wanting 4-3-3 tried.

Newton is not fit enough, hasn't been since he arrived. Consequently he's not been very effective as a winger or a midfielder and when he trailed back into defence he cost us a penalty.

Given we've no-one who's likely to be better on the right winger (forgetting Gradel) then why keep persisting with the position in a 4-4-2?

Furthermore if King were to play I wouldn't want it to be in a two-man midfield at this stage - it would be too vulnerable.

But King can provide a bit of width, so can Hammond and so can Stearman as an attacking full-back.

So, you really get 3-4-3 if we're going well and plenty of licence for King to get forward and join the attack which he wouldn't have as part of a two-man midfield - when he would never get chosen anyway.

i would love to compromise on a 5-3-2 or a 3-5-2 but its either too defensive to too over loaded in midfield.

Maybe a 4-3-3 is the answer, but then comes risk into the equation. I fear another defeat coupled with an unacceptable display against norwich will undermime the reason wortho was drafted in and all will go pear shaped for the final 4 games......can you justify this risk?

PS is it possible to teach tired minds a new formation at this stage of the season?

I don't think it's really the formation that's the problem. I just think that whatever skill our players has needs coaxing out. They need the confidence to play the ball into the feet of the midfield and most importantly, they need to motivation and desire to go out there and secure some points.

Archived