Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
purpleronnie

Bands You Like But No-one You Know Has Heard Of Them?

All this Flaming Lips being an obscure band nonsense! Saw them at DM Uni Student Hall when they supported Mercury Rev and they were easily the best support act I've ever seen, better than Mercury Rev were that night. They had no drummer and Wayne Coyne, the singer, kept beating a huge "Rank Organisation" type gong - crazy! Was just after The Soft Bulletin was released (what an album THAT is!)

What made it weirder still is that I had seen Mercury Rev as the support act for Ride at DM Hall and then they had been the better band. Just shows, what goes around comes around!

I presume that was when David Baker was the lead singer? I saw them support spititualized at that time and David Baker just spent the entire concert with his back to the crowd!! Weirdo!!

how many bands though have lost a lead singer and suddenly become 50times better when Jonathon Donahue took over singing duties, it was like the band finally found it's direction and style. Deserters songs is right up there as a top class album

All this Flaming Lips being an obscure band nonsense! Saw them at DM Uni Student Hall when they supported Mercury Rev and they were easily the best support act I've ever seen, better than Mercury Rev were that night. They had no drummer and Wayne Coyne, the singer, kept beating a huge "Rank Organisation" type gong - crazy! Was just after The Soft Bulletin was released (what an album THAT is!)

What made it weirder still is that I had seen Mercury Rev as the support act for Ride at DM Hall and then they had been the better band. Just shows, what goes around comes around!

cool, i saw ride at demontfort hall, probably the same occasion :whistle: so that means i've seen mercury rev, don't remember them tho... :unsure:

Saw them (The Runners) live (at a festival) and slept in a tent next to thiers (camping at the festival). Very enjoyable they were too (on stage) until The 586's (a band) came on after them and blew them off the stage (were much better than them).

That post is so laden with inneuendo its unreal.

Clearer?

My Friend Steve - Hope and wait - as far as I'm aware this is the only album they did but it's chock full of good pop rock tunes

r29.jpg

Tom McRae - Oddly enough most of my mates haven't heard of this guy but I reckon he's written some of the best albums I've ever heard.

B00005NHNM.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Also,

Esthero

Devin Townsend

Lodestar (please tell me somebody remembers how good these were! - ex Senser members if I remember correctly)

I presume that was when David Baker was the lead singer? I saw them support spititualized at that time and David Baker just spent the entire concert with his back to the crowd!! Weirdo!!

how many bands though have lost a lead singer and suddenly become 50times better when Jonathon Donahue took over singing duties, it was like the band finally found it's direction and style. Deserters songs is right up there as a top class album

When I saw them the 1st time Dave Baker was the singer - second time round was Donahue. And yes, whilst the later albums are better, their first gig was better (and their 1st 2 albums, Yerself Is Steam and Boces are classics in their own right!)

cool, i saw ride at demontfort hall, probably the same occasion :whistle: so that means i've seen mercury rev, don't remember them tho... :unsure:

My most abiding memory of that gig is how many guitars they got through! Mind you they didn't half thrash them! :thumbup:

I'm probably the only person here with a Sender of Eight tape.

(cos that's my Bro-in-law's band)

No one else in the world has the entire body of work by Yellowhammer, a seminal 1980's solo experimental keyboard artist.

It's all crammed on a C90 and it's blooming marvellous, by George!

:blush::ph34r:

No one else in the world has the entire body of work by Yellowhammer, a seminal 1980's solo experimental keyboard artist.

For "Yellowhammer", should we read "Daggers"? :whistle:

um, david brent :whistle:

Archived