Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nod.E

Do you prefer Indie Rock or Rap/RnB?

Rock Or RnB?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Rock Or RnB?

• Indie Rock, Alternative etc....
    • Rnb/Rap etc...

Try out the British hiphop.

I'm finding its a far better listen than anything else of the genre right now.

For Example...?

Here is some other non-mainstream hip hop - Same guys as previous song. I mean, when you consider the fact that shits like Soulja Boy (Yes I do really hate him) gets so much popularity and fame and he makes millions of dollars in the process, it does piss you off. It's absolutely cringe worthy.

who is this by? - of course, good lyrics are essential in good rap music, otherwise, whats the point, but the music plays a part, too much of rap music has very lazy production values and poor musicality, s e interesting to see what this is up against.

i have some electronicy tracks that i'd love some one to rap over, if anyone is interested...? :unsure:

I don't see why good lyrics are essential when it comes to rap music. I would quite happily listen to some nob go on about f**king bitches and popping caps in people's asses if he was doing it over a quality beat and some well-honed production.

Dr. Dre is a classic, if slightly dated, example of this. His lyrics are distinctly average but f**k me the man can produce. I don't listen to much of his stuff nowadays but there's no denying he has a talent for music and production. For me great beats, great melodies and great layering of sounds comes way higher in my priority list than what the guy is actually saying. If the lyrics are good then it's a bonus but it's because rap is so full of wankers talking shit that this approach is the best one to go for!

I go on about these all the time but for anyone that wants to hear some quality hip hop I'd point you in the direction of the following, it might just change your opinion. This list is a balanced combination of thought provoking lyricists, top notch producers, harder rap and more chilled out sounds.

The Roots

Blackalicious

Jurassic 5

Talib Kweli

Foreign Beggars

One Self

Skinnyman

Guru

Rae & Christian

The Pharcyde

De La Soul

A Tribe Called Quest

Jeru the Damaja

Dr. Octagon

Roots Manuva

If you want any more detail on which albums to go for or what style each of these are then just ask...

I don't see why good lyrics are essential when it comes to rap music. I would quite happily listen to some nob go on about f**king bitches and popping caps in people's asses if he was doing it over a quality beat and some well-honed production.

Dr. Dre is a classic, if slightly dated, example of this. His lyrics are distinctly average but f**k me the man can produce. I don't listen to much of his stuff nowadays but there's no denying he has a talent for music and production. For me great beats, great melodies and great layering of sounds comes way higher in my priority list than what the guy is actually saying. If the lyrics are good then it's a bonus but it's because rap is so full of wankers talking shit that this approach is the best one to go for!

I go on about these all the time but for anyone that wants to hear some quality hip hop I'd point you in the direction of the following, it might just change your opinion. This list is a balanced combination of thought provoking lyricists, top notch producers, harder rap and more chilled out sounds.

The Roots

Blackalicious

Jurassic 5

Talib Kweli

Foreign Beggars

One Self

Skinnyman

Guru

Rae & Christian

The Pharcyde

De La Soul

A Tribe Called Quest

Jeru the Damaja

Dr. Octagon

Roots Manuva

If you want any more detail on which albums to go for or what style each of these are then just ask...

Great list that, although i've never really seen what the hype behind Skinnyman is all about.

Lupe Fiasco is probably the closest thing to some of the Emcees on that list in the mainstream climate.

Great list that, although i've never really seen what the hype behind Skinnyman is all about.

Lupe Fiasco is probably the closest thing to some of the Emcees on that list in the mainstream climate.

Skinnyman only just sneaked on mainly because I absolutely love the track I'd Be Surprised. I agree that you can take or leave much of his stuff. I guess the point is he has done quite a lot in encouraging the UK hip hop scene and is therefore someone that people should have at least a bit of a listen to.

Seriously though people should have a listen to Rae & Christian's album Northern Sulphuric Soul. There are some amazing tracks on there. It's a bit old but it's such a good album. They run the Grand Central record label and although I haven't heard much from it for awhile they have given the likes of DJ Format and Fingathing some decent exposure... Also one of the best compilation's I've ever heard is their Mixmag one called Blazing the Crop - fantastic.

Would someone post some examples of what constitutes Indie Rock/Alternative these days.

I'm quite old you see, and I don't really have any idea of what either of them mean any more

I would say bands such as:

The Cribs

Mystery Jets

Vampire Weekend

Tokyo Police Club

Milburn

The Futurheads

These are all just a few examples of what I'd class as "modern day Indie".

I would say bands such as:

The Cribs

Mystery Jets

Vampire Weekend

Tokyo Police Club

Milburn

The Futurheads

These are all just a few examples of what I'd class as "modern day Indie".

Thanks, that's not a million miles from what I expected it to be.

I actually quite like the Mystery Jets. I couldn't stop playing 'You can't fool me Dennis' when it came out.

I've never understood what 'alternative' means. All music is alternative in that it's an alternative to listening to something else, isn't it? Celine Dion is an alternative to listening to The Fall (not a good one mind). It always implied that there was something a bit wrong about listening to stuff that wasn't ridiculously mainstream i.e. alternative = weird, which is bollocks, obviously

Skinnyman only just sneaked on mainly because I absolutely love the track I'd Be Surprised. I agree that you can take or leave much of his stuff. I guess the point is he has done quite a lot in encouraging the UK hip hop scene and is therefore someone that people should have at least a bit of a listen to.

Seriously though people should have a listen to Rae & Christian's album Northern Sulphuric Soul. There are some amazing tracks on there. It's a bit old but it's such a good album. They run the Grand Central record label and although I haven't heard much from it for awhile they have given the likes of DJ Format and Fingathing some decent exposure... Also one of the best compilation's I've ever heard is their Mixmag one called Blazing the Crop - fantastic.

what a classic album that is and it's about 10 years old now!!

it really doesn't seem that long!!

I gave a copy of that album to someone at work this very afternoon preaching on about how good it was!!

I think it was the only album they ever did but it had Jungle Brothers, Jeru the Damaja and err Texas on it!!

it has some wonderfully deep mellow bass on the album a truely absorbing and much overlooked album!!

Grand Central was closed down though something about unpaid royalties

What constitutes any genre is pretty subjective, isn't it?

It's not that important though, it's just that a lot of people have the need to pigeonhole things. God knows why

True, but you know what I mean. Junior Boys are "Indie". They're nothing like whats commonly called "Indie" but thats because the use of the word was never supposed to be about the music.

True, but you know what I mean. Junior Boys are "Indie". They're nothing like whats commonly called "Indie" but thats because the use of the word was never supposed to be about the music.

I think the word 'indie' became meaningless in 1988 when Kylie Minogue qualified for the indie chart because PWL was supposedly an independent record label.

How I wrote Elastic Man! Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now! Je Ne Sais Pas Pourquoi!

what a classic album that is and it's about 10 years old now!!

it really doesn't seem that long!!

I gave a copy of that album to someone at work this very afternoon preaching on about how good it was!!

I think it was the only album they ever did but it had Jungle Brothers, Jeru the Damaja and err Texas on it!!

it has some wonderfully deep mellow bass on the album a truely absorbing and much overlooked album!!

Grand Central was closed down though something about unpaid royalties

I was hoping you or Fez or someone would recognise that! Have you heard Blazing the Crop? It's absolutely brilliant, in my opinion probably better than NSS.

I was hoping you or Fez or someone would recognise that! Have you heard Blazing the Crop? It's absolutely brilliant, in my opinion probably better than NSS.

I haven't and it seems to be for sale at £65.99 on Amazon!! crazy stuff

do you have it on cd to upload as an MP3 by any chance.....

could trade for something equally as rare like say... UNKLE's - Do androids dream of electric beats mix limited to 500 copies world wide or maybe some Dub or Reggae that you might not have

I haven't and it seems to be for sale at £65.99 on Amazon!! crazy stuff

do you have it on cd to upload as an MP3 by any chance.....

could trade for something equally as rare like say... UNKLE's - Do androids dream of electric beats mix limited to 500 copies world wide or maybe some Dub or Reggae that you might not have

£66? **** me!

I have a couple of mates who own it on CD. Saying that though I think I might have made a copy somewhere... other than that I only have it on mini disc!

Let me try and dig it out. The trade isn't necessary but since you're offering I'd be well up for that UNKLE album. Nice one. As far as dub and reggae goes I downloaded all the Groundation albums on hairy's recommendation. Absolutely love them.

£66? **** me!

I have a couple of mates who own it on CD. Saying that though I think I might have made a copy somewhere... other than that I only have it on mini disc!

Let me try and dig it out. The trade isn't necessary but since you're offering I'd be well up for that UNKLE album. Nice one. As far as dub and reggae goes I downloaded all the Groundation albums on hairy's recommendation. Absolutely love them.

will start to get it uploaded it's 3cds of brilliance so will do one at a time!!

you can find tracklisting and details at the amazon

page scroll down to the first review instead of the amazon tracklisting

Archived