Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

Motorbikes are brilliant

1 hour ago, Ian996 said:

Just bought this:

Screenshot_20170219-214119_zpsw8w4dhsf_e

UK bike, got all the genuine parts aswell. So many badly stickered up Lucky Strike and Pepsi bikes. Wanted something with the correct fairing for year. Will only go up now.

You may wish to invest in crotch protection - in the event of a tank slapper there are very few places for your testicles to hide!

50 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

I can't get over the fact its a 250? It looks really quite big - more like at least a 5-750!

To be honest Nick, it's going back so far, I THINK it's the 250? But could be wrong. If it's the 2 stroke one, then it's definitely the 250, but I think Suzuki made a bigger engined four stroke model too.

The 250 was renowned for an amazingly responsive engine, incredible handling and being able to 'corner like it was on rails'. Going back many years, me and my mates, all bikers, did the customary Leicester to Skeggy run one summer. We were all on 600 four strokes I think. I had a Suzuki GSF600, my mate was on the ZZR 600, someone else on the CBR 600...all mid range engines. We'd gotten to the bit between Boston and Skeg, where the A52 gets quite windey, and suddenly we got blasted by this local kid on an RGV 250 who knew where all the twisties were and could just sail round them on his little bike. We tried to keep up but the handling on his 250 meant we had no chance along that stretch. Having embarrassed us enough, he then proceeded to sod off up some farm track to no doubt tell his mates later how he 'burnt the lads from the big city'

lol

Edited by Col city fan
  • Like 1

Just got a pic of the RGV250 from Google. Looks similar to the bike above, apart from the exhaust? Handsome machine! But renowned for blowing its engine after 6/7 k miles. Only top notch two stroke oil would suffice..

2B4CF046-5BD2-4703-A311-105F1EAA2AB5-380-0000005FC02FCE05_tmp.png

Edited by Col city fan
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Just got a pic of the RGV250 from Google. Looks similar to the bike above, apart from the exhaust? Handsome machine! But renowned for blowing its engine after 6/7 k miles. Only top notch two stroke oil would suffice..

2B4CF046-5BD2-4703-A311-105F1EAA2AB5-380-0000005FC02FCE05_tmp.png

Yep - thats an aftermarket exhaust by the looks of it. 

In Ian's photo the bike just looks 'bigger' than a 250cc!

Bikes have changed so much though in the last 30 odd years - my thousand is more like a 600 of a decade ago in terms of size and ability to chuck it about...

I hope you have fun on it @Ian996 though I'm guessing by your username you are hoping for a Ducati some time soon!

30 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Yep - thats an aftermarket exhaust by the looks of it. 

In Ian's photo the bike just looks 'bigger' than a 250cc!

Bikes have changed so much though in the last 30 odd years - my thousand is more like a 600 of a decade ago in terms of size and ability to chuck it about...

I hope you have fun on it @Ian996 though I'm guessing by your username you are hoping for a Ducati some time soon!

You still on the beemer?

i think Ian's bike has the aftermarket exhaust. The original was the two silencer thing.

Edited by Col city fan

2 hours ago, Swan Lesta said:

Funny that - sounds like you'd done what you needed to and ridden all the tracks and had fun - did you get any gut feelings after a near miss or sketchy track moments that contributed or was it out the blue? I'm interested because I know a few people who have done this and quite rightly so when they felt it was time - one fella I know just lost too many friends, one who's grip (hand) was getting weaker and another stopped when his six year old lad asked him to...

It was just a feeling, i'd get back from a ride and later i'd start thinking "what if a car had pulled out of that junction" and i'd even picture the junction in my head. Problem is if someones never ridden a really quick modern sportsbike they can't appreciate just how fast they go and how quick things happen, and you don't buy 1000cc bikes to potter around trying to look cool.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ian996 said:

Just bought this:

Screenshot_20170219-214119_zpsw8w4dhsf_e

UK bike, got all the genuine parts aswell. So many badly stickered up Lucky Strike and Pepsi bikes. Wanted something with the correct fairing for year. Will only go up now.

Great find Ian - very tidy. Any plans for a track day?

I mentioned earlier, years back we all had LCs - actually that's not strictly true, I had the air cooled RD 400 because I thought I was being clever. Lovely looking bike though, with the red and white classic yamaha speedblock design. Someone mentioned aftermarket pipes - everyone fitted allspeed or micron pipes back then and had them Stan Stephens tuned. There was a real cottage industry that evolved around the strokers.

I recall when both the RG500 and the RD500 came out, both road going race reps. I had friends with both. Both were Beckett tuned and fitted with swarbrick pipes modified by him and welded cranks were a must as they revved like crazy. They are exhausting to ride though - not just the arguably irrational anxiety of keeping the clutch covered. but the furious flurry of gear changes to desperately keep the needle floating in the tacho’s happy zone. I'll wager if you got hold of either the original Gamma or RD500 today, once the novelty and the challenge had worn off and the practicalities hit home, you'd be horrified by the wafer-thin powerband, gripless tyres, and rubber band chassis which wouldn't be such fun. We've since been spoilt and flattered by the diesels. Those 500s were notionally straight of the GP circuit but had dreadful front end feel due to the fashion for the 16" rims and of course steering dampers were not only in their infancy but largely unavailable at the time. The tyre and chassis technology that was raced in the golden age of two strokes was equally as primitive but exacerbated by massive uncompromising power which was either on or off like a light switch. Either side and you were uncompetitive, too much at once and you were liable to a similar parabolic trajectory as Tim Peake.

Electronics are getting better and better and at the same time cheaper, who knows where bikes will be in 20 years time? Electric powered bikes, you just punch in the lap time you want and the bike does the rest, including all the riding for you. I mentioned earlier that I am dubious of the buffer of electronics these days. You can visibly see electronic aids managing a lap time. I worry that to some it not only results in an overestimation of ability but a sense of invincibility which is a very dangerous thing - particularly on the road. Modern electronics should be deployed to enhance and compliment a riders ability not compensate for shortcomings. Kind of takes all the fun out of it for me, The thing I love about riding - particularly two strokes -  is the mechanical connection you have with the bike. Nothing wrong with electronic aids to assist the rider but when they get to the level that you just basically ham fist a 200hp bike out of a corner and nothing bad happens I think it will begin to make people desensitised to the risks and lose respect for the power of these bikes.

I'm off to find my zen-like space again. Feel the love...

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/car-accessories/reviews/a7008/flying-tiger-two-stroke-scented-candle/

14 hours ago, Line-X said:

Great find Ian - very tidy. Any plans for a track day?

I mentioned earlier, years back we all had LCs - actually that's not strictly true, I had the air cooled RD 400 because I thought I was being clever. Lovely looking bike though, with the red and white classic yamaha speedblock design. Someone mentioned aftermarket pipes - everyone fitted allspeed or micron pipes back then and had them Stan Stephens tuned. There was a real cottage industry that evolved around the strokers.

I recall when both the RG500 and the RD500 came out, both road going race reps. I had friends with both. Both were Beckett tuned and fitted with swarbrick pipes modified by him and welded cranks were a must as they revved like crazy. They are exhausting to ride though - not just the arguably irrational anxiety of keeping the clutch covered. but the furious flurry of gear changes to desperately keep the needle floating in the tacho’s happy zone. I'll wager if you got hold of either the original Gamma or RD500 today, once the novelty and the challenge had worn off and the practicalities hit home, you'd be horrified by the wafer-thin powerband, gripless tyres, and rubber band chassis which wouldn't be such fun. We've since been spoilt and flattered by the diesels. Those 500s were notionally straight of the GP circuit but had dreadful front end feel due to the fashion for the 16" rims and of course steering dampers were not only in their infancy but largely unavailable at the time. The tyre and chassis technology that was raced in the golden age of two strokes was equally as primitive but exacerbated by massive uncompromising power which was either on or off like a light switch. Either side and you were uncompetitive, too much at once and you were liable to a similar parabolic trajectory as Tim Peake.

Electronics are getting better and better and at the same time cheaper, who knows where bikes will be in 20 years time? Electric powered bikes, you just punch in the lap time you want and the bike does the rest, including all the riding for you. I mentioned earlier that I am dubious of the buffer of electronics these days. You can visibly see electronic aids managing a lap time. I worry that to some it not only results in an overestimation of ability but a sense of invincibility which is a very dangerous thing - particularly on the road. Modern electronics should be deployed to enhance and compliment a riders ability not compensate for shortcomings. Kind of takes all the fun out of it for me, The thing I love about riding - particularly two strokes -  is the mechanical connection you have with the bike. Nothing wrong with electronic aids to assist the rider but when they get to the level that you just basically ham fist a 200hp bike out of a corner and nothing bad happens I think it will begin to make people desensitised to the risks and lose respect for the power of these bikes.

I'm off to find my zen-like space again. Feel the love...

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/car-accessories/reviews/a7008/flying-tiger-two-stroke-scented-candle/

I as always appreciate the sentiment of the post but you've not ridden enough 200bhp machines with traction control if you think you can simply ham fist the bike out of a corner with no consequences! I do see what you are saying though and yeah I get the purist attitude but meh - don't knock it till you've owned one. On the one hand may come a desensitisation but with that comes the dangers of greater acceleration and improved handling and suspension resulting in going quicker! (As well as the ride being not so white knuckle on the roads - being able to get yourself out of trouble because of rider aids is cool too!) 

8 hours ago, Swan Lesta said:

I as always appreciate the sentiment of the post but you've not ridden enough 200bhp machines with traction control if you think you can simply ham fist the bike out of a corner with no consequences! I do see what you are saying though and yeah I get the purist attitude but meh - don't knock it till you've owned one. On the one hand may come a desensitisation but with that comes the dangers of greater acceleration and improved handling and suspension resulting in going quicker! (As well as the ride being not so white knuckle on the roads - being able to get yourself out of trouble because of rider aids is cool too!) 

In all honesty, unfortunately I am unlikely to own one - but from speaking to those that do, although the electronics are shall we say forgiving, I do know they require finesse in all sorts of other ways. But as I said in an earlier post, I have seen riders on track days exit corners so aggressively on the throttle that they should have been launched into orbit. I do realise that such power is not simply tamed by an electronics package. Though not directly comparable, highsides are still not uncommon in all classes of racing, in spite of the level of technological sophistication - (the shareware in MotoGP in particular has meant that they were more prevalent last season).

Please don't regard my post as condescending or derogatory. I genuinely mean it when I say that if I was to consider a 200bhp bike with TC (incidentally, I think that the torque figure is more meaningful), I'd rather go for an early ZX10r and generally and by virtue of this, very rudimentary electronics.  Also, I honestly don't need to be told my lean angle, have a launch control, a pit lane map, and the auto-blip in the throttle I find unfathomable. I do appreciate though that these features didn't govern your choice of motorcycle but rather the fact that the BMWS1000rr is arguably the most complete and desirable hyper-sports bike on the market did. Beautiful machine and a great choice.

The safety on the roads works both ways in my opinion. I still maintain that my point about a false sense of security is a valid one whilst you can have more electronics than the space shuttle, but a 200bhp sports bike - or any motorcycle for that matter is a lethal weapon in the wrong hands. I agree that electronics can to a degree, get you out of trouble but they may also have riders trying to exploit or enter margins that they would otherwise never get anywhere near or have no business doing so. I know, simply though feel and experience how far I can push my bike. I also know where the limit lies and with most modern sports bikes you simply never get anywhere near that territory. As Yorkie said, (electronics or no electronics) these things can get you into unanticipated trouble so quickly and with car drivers so increasingly distracted you have to assume that everyone is out to get you. Irrespective of electronics, you have to learn to ride defensively - and I think that a bank of electronics on a bike, are a double edged sword and can also be a distraction in itself.

Every year as you say, folk untether the umbilical of the optimate, the bike is wheeled out of hibernation and the moment we get some clement weather, the season begins and we, as you said, un-SORN your machine. Usually if I'm tending my garden over Easter, it is soundtracked by the scream of in line 4 sports bikes hammering up the by-pass which to the non biking fraternity I should imagine is very annoying. Have to admit I have a race akrapovic system myself for many reasons, but one of the bonuses in addition to performance is that drivers can hear me coming. I used to ride throughout the year, but the hassle of keeping the bike free of salt, grit and cleaning it from shite after every outing becomes onerous. Each year, I vow to take it off the road completely and confine it to the track...and get MX bike again for the dirt. Perhaps this year I actually will. The roads are so dangerous these days for bikers, for me it almost saps it of all remaining pleasure. I can understand why Yorkie finally hung up his leathers.

Take it easy out there. 

• Like 1

On 3/8/2017 at 16:49, yorkie1999 said:

I got rid of mine last year , honda fireblade, having rode for 30 odd years all over europe, round uk charity every year, nurburgring etc used to love it but just before i sold it i'd get home after a ride and start thinking about "what if's", couldn't explain it because i've never thought about things like that before,  that's when i decided to get rid. 

Snap.  Sold my Fireblade after my second big crash and decided enough was enough ...      too much thinking like you said ...   my head had gone.   Would love to get another but am just unable to drive slow ...      stick to 4 wheels now and love belting round a track ....   fun factor about the same.

1 hour ago, Line-X said:

In all honesty, unfortunately I am unlikely to own one - but from speaking to those that do, although the electronics are shall we say forgiving, I do know they require finesse in all sorts of other ways. But as I said in an earlier post, I have seen riders on track days exit corners so aggressively on the throttle that they should have been launched into orbit. I do realise that such power is not simply tamed by an electronics package. Though not directly comparable, highsides are still not uncommon in all classes of racing, in spite of the level of technological sophistication - (the shareware in MotoGP in particular has meant that they were more prevalent last season).

Please don't regard my post as condescending or derogatory. I genuinely mean it when I say that if I was to consider a 200bhp bike with TC (incidentally, I think that the torque figure is more meaningful), I'd rather go for an early ZX10r and generally and by virtue of this, very rudimentary electronics.  Also, I honestly don't need to be told my lean angle, have a launch control, a pit lane map, and the auto-blip in the throttle I find unfathomable. I do appreciate though that these features didn't govern your choice of motorcycle but rather the fact that the BMWS1000rr is arguably the most complete and desirable hyper-sports bike on the market did. Beautiful machine and a great choice.

The safety on the roads works both ways in my opinion. I still maintain that my point about a false sense of security is a valid one whilst you can have more electronics than the space shuttle, but a 200bhp sports bike - or any motorcycle for that matter is a lethal weapon in the wrong hands. I agree that electronics can to a degree, get you out of trouble but they may also have riders trying to exploit or enter margins that they would otherwise never get anywhere near or have no business doing so. I know, simply though feel and experience how far I can push my bike. I also know where the limit lies and with most modern sports bikes you simply never get anywhere near that territory. As Yorkie said, (electronics or no electronics) these things can get you into unanticipated trouble so quickly and with car drivers so increasingly distracted you have to assume that everyone is out to get you. Irrespective of electronics, you have to learn to ride defensively - and I think that a bank of electronics on a bike, are a double edged sword and can also be a distraction in itself.

Every year as you say, folk untether the umbilical of the optimate, the bike is wheeled out of hibernation and the moment we get some clement weather, the season begins and we, as you said, un-SORN your machine. Usually if I'm tending my garden over Easter, it is soundtracked by the scream of in line 4 sports bikes hammering up the by-pass which to the non biking fraternity I should imagine is very annoying. Have to admit I have a race akrapovic system myself for many reasons, but one of the bonuses in addition to performance is that drivers can hear me coming. I used to ride throughout the year, but the hassle of keeping the bike free of salt, grit and cleaning it from shite after every outing becomes onerous. Each year, I vow to take it off the road completely and confine it to the track...and get MX bike again for the dirt. Perhaps this year I actually will. The roads are so dangerous these days for bikers, for me it almost saps it of all remaining pleasure. I can understand why Yorkie finally hung up his leathers.

Take it easy out there. 

Great post.

On an aside though, I absolutely love being able to note my lean angle! It's become an obsession and a fun way of understanding and measuring my corner speed entry and exit on my regular ride routes!

Launch control you should try - though I've only used it on track, it taught me how it can be done without the electronics (although I'm sure you don't need that but it was a learning curve understanding what the bike is capable of!)

55 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Great post.

On an aside though, I absolutely love being able to note my lean angle! It's become an obsession and a fun way of understanding and measuring my corner speed entry and exit on my regular ride routes!

Launch control you should try - though I've only used it on track, it taught me how it can be done without the electronics (although I'm sure you don't need that but it was a learning curve understanding what the bike is capable of!)

When cornering, honestly I'm too preoccupied with my entry point, the apex and the exit.  As I've got the bike cranked over I'm looking out of the corner and where I want to go. Like I say, road riding often compromises the optimum line due to positioning yourself for safety and riding defensively. On a track, I'd imagine this real time data would be great fun but I'm genuinely too busy even to afford myself a glance. The California Superbike School teaches budget management and allocating your own mental and physical resources vs time in an economical way so not to invite unnecessary physical or mental expenditure. That way a corner is a 'product' - I think he termed them 'measurable events'. I attended a few of Andy Ibbott's sessions at Rockinham (horrible circuit), who used to coach Tom Luthi and all that Keith Code theory was a revelation when I first started track days. All sounds very up the arse but for genuinely professional racers pushing into the envelope where so many are unable to even contemplate, it is essential. Perhaps if it was there I would learn to easily assimilate the information but honestly - as a minimalist I don't want the distraction. I love the fact that on a bike you have so much feel of the surface and what the front is doing - road, bike and rider as one. Just gently nudging in more countersteer as you gauge the lean angle with your knee slider and progressively modulating the throttle feeling the rear tyre squirm in protest but knowing that it's all a governed and regulated by your own input. That's why I love riding off road. 

I've never used launch control - I'd love to try it but again I perceive a mental block. Electronics can and do fail, but it's much rarer today. I recall in at Aragon in MotoGP, Marquez arrived too hot into a corner, glanced off Dani Pedrosa and the impact of his front wheel glanced off the swing arm and severed the cable to the rear wheel sensor immediately disabling the TC. Complete freak, but it prompted HRC to re-route it. This was the result...

Talking of Pedrosa - and in respect of launch control, it has certainly come a long way since its infancy but my wariness remains all the same:

Edited by Line-X

1 hour ago, Countryfox said:

Snap.  Sold my Fireblade after my second big crash and decided enough was enough ...      too much thinking like you said ...   my head had gone.   Would love to get another but am just unable to drive slow ...      stick to 4 wheels now and love belting round a track ....   fun factor about the same.

Mind you , I shouldn't mind getting into green laneing, at least if you break your leg it's your own fault and it's not going to hurt much at 40 mph???

• Like 1

Haha, paid 4k, '93.

All 2 strokes need a top end rebuild every 10k or so just because of the way a 2 stroke crank induction engine works. They really give the rings a hammering across the transfer ports. However, plenty of parts are still available for these unlike the KR1S.

2 strokes are going up now, like any decent classic with it's salt. We'll never see the likes again due to emissions.

55 minutes ago, Ian996 said:

Haha, paid 4k, '93.

All 2 strokes need a top end rebuild every 10k or so just because of the way a 2 stroke crank induction engine works. They really give the rings a hammering across the transfer ports. However, plenty of parts are still available for these unlike the KR1S.

2 strokes are going up now, like any decent classic with it's salt. We'll never see the likes again due to emissions.

Hey..i wasn't THAT far wrong then.. . lol

My price estimation would have been the price id have paid years ago. I hadn't factored in that these bikes go UP in value..

Enjoy mate. Remember..use only the best oil..

I once owned a Kawasaki KMX 125 2 stroke. It had been de-restricted and I readily use to get 100 mph out of it. Going years back this was. Brilliant bike, looked and sounded the dogs.

Edited by Col city fan

10 hours ago, Line-X said:

When cornering, honestly I'm too preoccupied with my entry point, the apex and the exit.  As I've got the bike cranked over I'm looking out of the corner and where I want to go. Like I say, road riding often compromises the optimum line due to positioning yourself for safety and riding defensively. On a track, I'd imagine this real time data would be great fun but I'm genuinely too busy even to afford myself a glance. The California Superbike School teaches budget management and allocating your own mental and physical resources vs time in an economical way so not to invite unnecessary physical or mental expenditure. That way a corner is a 'product' - I think he termed them 'measurable events'. I attended a few of Andy Ibbott's sessions at Rockinham (horrible circuit), who used to coach Tom Luthi and all that Keith Code theory was a revelation when I first started track days. All sounds very up the arse but for genuinely professional racers pushing into the envelope where so many are unable to even contemplate, it is essential. Perhaps if it was there I would learn to easily assimilate the information but honestly - as a minimalist I don't want the distraction. I love the fact that on a bike you have so much feel of the surface and what the front is doing - road, bike and rider as one. Just gently nudging in more countersteer as you gauge the lean angle with your knee slider and progressively modulating the throttle feeling the rear tyre squirm in protest but knowing that it's all a governed and regulated by your own input. That's why I love riding off road. 

I've never used launch control - I'd love to try it but again I perceive a mental block. Electronics can and do fail, but it's much rarer today. I recall in at Aragon in MotoGP, Marquez arrived too hot into a corner, glanced off Dani Pedrosa and the impact of his front wheel glanced off the swing arm and severed the cable to the rear wheel sensor immediately disabling the TC. Complete freak, but it prompted HRC to re-route it. This was the result...

Talking of Pedrosa - and in respect of launch control, it has certainly come a long way since its infancy but my wariness remains all the same:

Lean angle is not a feature I look at in the corner!

its something that I note when I get off the bike or on a straight or just after a bend on the road if I've been really cranked over (for me) if I get over 50 degrees A grin appears on my face for some reason!

8 hours ago, Swan Lesta said:

Lean angle is not a feature I look at in the corner!

its something that I note when I get off the bike or on a straight or just after a bend on the road if I've been really cranked over (for me) if I get over 50 degrees A grin appears on my face for some reason!

I see - I thought it was a real time display. What other telemetry does it store?

Can I have a go?

4 hours ago, Line-X said:

I see - I thought it was a real time display. What other telemetry does it store?

Can I have a go?

Christ knows  -  you start pressing buttons on the lap timer display menus and stuff I fear if I began to engage in I'd lose a couple of days! (I have BMW change the bloody clock display during service! lol) 

The lean angle is not a constant display like a speedo - So say if I go into a roundabout and stick my knee on the floor and drive out the corner, mine is set to tell me the maximum lean angle in both directions on that ride - so if going in I do 49 degrees but I've done 50 on a previous corner I know I've not beaten it as the display still shows 50! So it becomes addictive trying to beat your lean angle, having a little glance after you've exited a bend as to how low you went!

?

2 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Christ knows  -  you start pressing buttons on the lap timer display menus and stuff I fear if I began to engage in I'd lose a couple of days! (I have BMW change the bloody clock display during service! lol) 

The lean angle is not a constant display like a speedo - So say if I go into a roundabout and stick my knee on the floor and drive out the corner, mine is set to tell me the maximum lean angle in both directions on that ride - so if going in I do 49 degrees but I've done 50 on a previous corner I know I've not beaten it as the display still shows 50! So it becomes addictive trying to beat your lean angle, having a little glance after you've exited a bend as to how low you went!

?

Obviously your lean angle is governed by many variables such as the corner itself, road surface, temperature, tyres etc. I can see that in the wrong hands trying to best your last attempt could be lethal. All great fun until you hit a diesel spill - something that terrifies me on the road more than GATSOs. Saying that, be a great measure on track. Modern road going tyre technology is incredible, but throw on some road legal race rubber such as a supercorsa, a racetec ineract or a set of R10s and it's unbelievable the angles you can reach. Be very interesting to take a look at the data around a corner like Gerard's at Mallory.

Yup - I ride racetecs 24/7

And to clarify my lean angle routes are usually over a series of roundabouts on a circuit loop to practice cornering for an hour or so in the evenings, followed by a country pint!

• Like 1

Cool a racetrack celeb!

Welcome!

I've been on a track 3 times once with Nial Mckenzie - in my head I was leading a Superbike Race or a Moto GP when I passed him on the straight at Donnington - but in reality he was waving me through giving me a track day lesson.

Still, nearly the same thing.