Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Simi

Tennis

17 minutes ago, Kendal Fox said:

You seem suspicious. Why would she purposely pull out against someone she leads 19-2 in head to heads though?

Because she's still not at peak fitness or form after a long absence from the tour. This would have been Sharapova's best chance in a long time to get a W over Serena. Serena is proud of, and I think internally revels in, her lopsided record against Sharapova. I think that losing to Sharapova, even in mitigating circumstances, would be more than she could bear.

I’m far from a serena Williams fan but to suggest she’s pulled out because she’s scared of Maria Sharapova is somewhat ludicrous, Sharapova is hardly on fire herself, Williams seemed to be getting better and better and to say she has her number is somewhat of an under statement. Plus if you watch her doubles match last night she was clearly struggling to serve. I don’t think Serena Williams is going to take time away from her family and child for weeks on end to prepare and play in this tournament just to pull out on the off chance she loses to Maria sharapova for the first time in 14 years.

class match developing between Djokovic and Cecchinato.

Djok was 2 sets down. Pulled back one set and now 9-9 in the 4th set tie-break. Both have been playing some amazing tennis with some brilliant shots; Djokovic just missed an easy chance to win the 4th though. 

What an absolutely amazing tie-break, Djokovic saving his arse with two incredible volleys then he shanks a forehand on set point, Cecchinato firing some lovely backwards including the match winning shot which Djokovic left only for it to find the corner.

If you missed that, unlucky.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, kingfox said:

What an absolutely amazing tie-break, Djokovic saving his arse with two incredible volleys then he shanks a forehand on set point, Cecchinato firing some lovely backwards including the match winning shot which Djokovic left only for it to find the corner.

If you missed that, unlucky.

Was some tie break

I felt for him on the set point, and that's bearing in mind I generally can't stand him. Some idiot in the crowd made a proper shrill high pitched screaming noise just as he approached it and it must of been off putting.

That said he needs to take some responsibility for it, he should make that shot during an 8.3 Earthquake.

Edited by Manwell Pablo

52 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Was some tie break

I felt for him on the set point, and that's bearing in mind I generally can't stand him. Some idiot in the crowd made a proper shrill high pitched screaming noise just as he approached it and it must of been off putting.

That said he needs to take some responsibility for it, he should make that shot during an 8.3 Earthquake.

Indeed one of the most tense I've seen.

Typical French mate getting over excited, happens too often, can remember that Woman screaming in the Konta vs Halep match at Wimbledon last year on match point, Halep lost because of that and it was a routine shot also.

After that though Novak had more chances anyway, only himself to blame especially by leaving the match winning shot because he thought it was going out.

Surely a Nadal vs Thiem final now.

1 hour ago, kingfox said:

Indeed one of the most tense I've seen.

Typical French mate getting over excited, happens too often, can remember that Woman screaming in the Konta vs Halep match at Wimbledon last year on match point, Halep lost because of that and it was a routine shot also.

After that though Novak had more chances anyway, only himself to blame especially by leaving the match winning shot because he thought it was going out.

Surely a Nadal vs Thiem final now.

Yeah he  dumped that forehand into the net after for which there was no excuse.

Hopefully Thiem actually has found a way to give him problems on clay although on Chatrier it'll probably be a different story.

Serena would've beaten that version of Maria with one arm.

6 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Yeah he  dumped that forehand into the net after for which there was no excuse.

Hopefully Thiem actually has found a way to give him problems on clay although on Chatrier it'll probably be a different story.

Thiem against Nadal usually ends two ways, Thiem plays one of the matches of his life and beats him or he gets absolutely destroyed like we saw at the French last year.

6 hours ago, StanSP said:

this Schwartzmann guy reminds me of Rafa when he was younger. Buzzes around the court and seems to be able to make shots that seem impossible when they're on the other side of the court.

Hes really come on recently, good to see him doing well he’s another one that bucks the you’ve got to be big and strong to play the game misconception.

• Like 1

The biased commentary as well as the crowd against Stephens is shocking.

At 1 set up and 2-0 in the 2nd set, the commentators were still talking about the hopes for Halep that Stephens blows it and allows her back into the match. Rather than the fact that Stephens, should she win, would have won 2 slams in recent months with the chance to win 2 more this year.

No doubt Halep will go on and win, but how much help does she need from the crowd FFS?!

Edited by Kendal Fox

22 minutes ago, Kendal Fox said:

At 1 set up and 2-0 in the 2nd set, the commentators were still talking about the hopes for Halep that Stephens blows it and allows her back into the match. Rather than the fact that Stephens, should she win, would have won 2 slams in recent months with the chance to win 2 more this year.

No doubt Halep will go on and win, but how much help does she need from the crowd FFS?!

The crowd can cheer for who they like IMO, so long as they aren't abusive or putting anyone off. But quite clearly Bartoli in the comm box is incapable of being neutral and so wants Halep to win, analysing every point from Halep's perspective.

Edited by SouthStandUpperTier

20 minutes ago, Kendal Fox said:

It’s in Paris, it’s going to be generally more pro Halep.

edit - did wonder what you were talking about regarding bias commentary but if your watching itv there’s your real issue!

Edited by Manwell Pablo
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

The crowd can cheer for who they like IMO, so long as they aren't abusive or putting anyone off. But quite clearly Bartoli in the comm box is incapable of being neutral and so wants Halep to win, playing every point from Halep's perspective.

It's just a shame because Stephens was such a joy to watch in that 1st set and 2nd set break that she surely just warranted the credit, regardless of Halep's struggles in prior slams.

I do think the crowd has ebbed away at her mentally speaking, as much as the physical fatigue too.

Edited by Kendal Fox

5 minutes ago, Kendal Fox said:

I do think the crowd has ebbed away at her as much as the physical fatigue too.

But someone like Serena would just use that as further fuel for the fire, rather than going into her shell. That's what Sloane needs to do, use it as motivation, see it as another challenge to overcome

Edited by SouthStandUpperTier

She needed to keep them quiet which she  did effectively for a set and a bit but since Halep got level in the second the noise has consistently cranked up as the games gone on.

Im afraid if you want to win multiple majors you’re going to have to live the fact the crowd may occasionally want your opponent to win and you have to deal with that.

and tbf halep  has been brilliant since she levelled 

Edited by Manwell Pablo