Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Simi

Tennis

1 hour ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Heather Watson is a shadow of the player she was and that player wasn't particularly world beating in the first place.

Nole a break down already lol tbf Phillip wouldn't  of been top of my list of potential first round opponents if I were him, handy on grass sometimes.

To be fair, Djokovoc did have an extremely easy passage through at the French, playing opponents with an average world ranking of 85 until he met Zvererv in the quarters.

So I guess him now playing a number 57 in the 1st round is about right taking that into account. Still hoping Kohlschreiber can take a set somehow!

Edited by Kendal Fox

59 minutes ago, Kendal Fox said:

To be fair, Djokovoc did have an extremely easy passage through at the French, playing opponents with an average world ranking of 85 until he met Zvererv in the quarters.

So I guess him now playing a number 57 in the 1st round is about right taking that into account. Still hoping Kohlschreiber can take a set somehow!

Well it was a decent effort but got to consolidate those breaks if you want to stand any chance.

58 minutes ago, kingfox said:

Putintseva beats Osaka again.

Osaka has turned into an absolute mess.

Pressure. Fear. Before she had nothing to lose and the fearlessness of youth, now she's at the top and she has it all to lose. Can have a huge effect on a player.

14 minutes ago, kingfox said:

Zverev, what's the appeal?

The guy is an overrated joke.

Never seen the hype. Clearly a decent player but quite clearly hasn't got it in him to win a slam.

35 minutes ago, kingfox said:

Zverev, what's the appeal?

The guy is an overrated joke.

But he's 6' 6" and has a huge serve. What you saying like?!!

Clearly the coaches havn't learned going all the way back to the 90s when guys like Ivanisevic, Philippousis, Martin and Kracjceck showed that being tall and having a big serve simply wasn't enough at the majors.

But no, there's still this obsession with tall guys that can serve at 500mph and we're still hearing how it's the be all and end all. Yawn....

30 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Pressure. Fear. Before she had nothing to lose and the fearlessness of youth, now she's at the top and she has it all to lose. Can have a huge effect on a player.

Well the BBC has just showed us walking out of her press conference almost in tears.

The poor girl is all over the place mentally, the main thing though, still nobody understands why she got rid of Sascha, it was a bizarre move and she's gone downhill ever since.

1 hour ago, Manwell Pablo said:

He’s 22 ffs and already won the tour final and three masters ffs lol 

He’s not had a the best year and a complete joke in slams in general I do agree.

Slams are where it's at though aren't they. Nobody is going to remember a tall guy who can't win one but does ok on tour.
He's having a shocker currently as an example.

24 minutes ago, Kendal Fox said:

Slams are where it's at though aren't they. Nobody is going to remember a tall guy who can't win one but does ok on tour.
He's having a shocker currently as an example.

He’s lost already must be on catch up. 

Depends, Masters tournaments are the bread and butter of the ATP, the slams are the big show piece events. Winning the ATP tour finals at 21 is some effort as well.

Besides whilst it’s becoming a bit of a stigma for him he’s not exactly running out of time to get it right in the slams.

Edited by Manwell Pablo

1 hour ago, kingfox said:

Baby Venus beats Grandma Venus

What a win, what a day all round, it's only Day 1 lol 

Ive just seen Tsisipas (30 slams and 8 years at no.1 I’d still never be able to spell his name) has gone as well, crazy day.

19 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

He’s lost already must be on catch up. 

Depends, Masters tournaments are the bread and butter of the ATP, the slams are the big show piece events. Winning the ATP tour finals at 21 is some effort as well.

Besides whilst it’s becoming a bit of a stigma for him he’s not exactly running out of time to get it right in the slams.

He was serving to stay in the match as I typed.

Oh I agree that the Masters are integral to pro tennis, but when assessing just how good a player is, the slams always tend to be the ultimate measuring stick.

I agree that he still has plenty of time though. And it's probably the commentators who seem to focus on his height and 1st serve much of the time that bug me more than anything. He is definitely one of the most, (if not the most) mobile of the tall guys and certainly is good in all departments.

Edited by Kendal Fox

This is Zverev's slam record, obviously going down the table in order of how they go through the year.1294759310_Screenshot_20190701-212525_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.3f671a44310a0943cd88fe7a899dcb53.jpg

Now even for 22 year old with a Tour final and a few masters wins, that's poor. In fact the tour final and masters probably highlights how poor that is. A player of his obviously ability should have more that two quarters to his name from 17 Slams. And I don't really see much progression from him in this area. He should be at least a quarter finalist in most slams.

14 hours ago, Facecloth said:

This is Zverev's slam record, obviously going down the table in order of how they go through the year.1294759310_Screenshot_20190701-212525_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.3f671a44310a0943cd88fe7a899dcb53.jpg

Now even for 22 year old with a Tour final and a few masters wins, that's poor. In fact the tour final and masters probably highlights how poor that is. A player of his obviously ability should have more that two quarters to his name from 17 Slams. And I don't really see much progression from him in this area. He should be at least a quarter finalist in most slams.

Totally agreed he has been dire in Grand Slams and it is starting to become a real issue for him as it's getting to the point where the "he's only young line" will no longer wash.

This is clearly not for the want of the talent to do better though, that is the point I am making. Folk seem to be suggesting he is not good enough, he clearly is, he just doesn't seem to be able to get his head in the slams for whatever reason.

35 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Theims gone lol #nextgen

French open aside, his slam record isn't amazing.

Maybe we've just been spoilt. The big three have been unstoppable for about 15 years. Add to that that Murray rarely went out early and has reached the final of all the slams. Maybe when they've gone it'll be really open.

58 minutes ago, kingfox said:

Expected Querrey to do him in tbh, Thiem is shit on Grass.

Yes one of the more predictable results but still another top 10 player gone.

1 hour ago, Facecloth said:

French open aside, his slam record isn't amazing.

Maybe we've just been spoilt. The big three have been unstoppable for about 15 years. Add to that that Murray rarely went out early and has reached the final of all the slams. Maybe when they've gone it'll be really open.

Would always class Murray in it as the big four to be honest. The finals he made his masters titles two gold medals and three grand slams warrant that. He’s undeniably been overall the weakest but four very special players in absolute golden era I doubt we will see domination like it again.