Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Simi

Tennis

Yay! Konta won...  Stephens or Muguruza next.  Shame she gets the harder draw on her side.  Oh well.

Love the French's antipathy towards their own Grand Slam. Tsitsipas/Marterer playing in front of swathes of empty seats.

Posh 'picnics'/long lunches and corporate tickets not being used.  That's usually the problem at the French Open :( 

That's the best I've seen Jo play since 2017.

She hit a shit period but she's suddenly found form over the clay season.

Her serving today especially was incredible, only dropped one point on serve in that second set.

Big chance for her to make the final, maybe even win it, Martic or Vondrousova next for her, big chance for all three, all of which are in good form.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kingfox said:

That's the best I've seen Jo play since 2017.

She hit a shit period but she's suddenly found form over the clay season.

Her serving today especially was incredible, only dropped one point on serve in that second set.

Big chance for her to make the final, maybe even win it, Martic or Vondrousova next for her, big chance for all three, all of which are in good form.

lol you give her no end of stick.

It is a big chance for her but would be just like her to fck it up. Hopefully not.

9 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

lol you give her no end of stick.

It is a big chance for her but would be just like her to fck it up. Hopefully not.

She was even hitting forehand winners today, she must be on something.

Anisimova beats Halep!

Interesting last 4, with Barty beating Keys too. Two unseeded teenagers, against two more experienced seeded player, but who've never got past this stage either. I think Konta will make the final, but make Barty slight favourite to win the title.

The WTA hasn't been this exciting in years, the youngsters are coming.

I talked up Anisimova after her fantastic performance against Sabalenka at the Australian Open, next round though she got beat up by Kvitova.

Today though she absolutely destroyed Halep, Halep didn't know what hit her. Anisimova understandably got a little tight towards the end but she managed to pull through. Her groundstrokes though when on are clean as a whistle, her backhand is an absolute delight.

So we'll have ourselves a first ever grand slam winner, Barty, Anisimova, Vondrousova or Konta. Would be great for the game if Anisimova or Vondrousova won it but I'll be supporting Barty, she's had a great season so far and she's my favourite player to watch atm.

Now I've said all that, Jo will probably do it lol 

4 hours ago, kingfox said:

The WTA hasn't been this exciting in years, the youngsters are coming.

I talked up Anisimova after her fantastic performance against Sabalenka at the Australian Open, next round though she got beat up by Kvitova.

Today though she absolutely destroyed Halep, Halep didn't know what hit her. Anisimova understandably got a little tight towards the end but she managed to pull through. Her groundstrokes though when on are clean as a whistle, her backhand is an absolute delight.

So we'll have ourselves a first ever grand slam winner, Barty, Anisimova, Vondrousova or Konta. Would be great for the game if Anisimova or Vondrousova won it but I'll be supporting Barty, she's had a great season so far and she's my favourite player to watch atm.

Now I've said all that, Jo will probably do it lol 

Barty's fellow Aussie!

Zverev crumbles in 3 to Djokovic. But no doubt we'll keep hearing that he's got a huge serve and is 6' 6"... Yawn...

Ever since Ivanisevic 25 years ago, there's been an endless repetition of tall, big serving guys who are lucky if they win one grand slam - Del Potro and Cilic being the other two to win a single slam if I remember rightly. They maybe have a few good ground strokes but ultimately, they always rely on intimidating an opponent more than anything and of course fall short at elite level once disarmed.

Honestly, if you go back to the 90s and look at the tall, big servers from then, compare with now and it really highlights the lack of progress in the men's game. Guys like Thiem look promising but there should be more like him. It's like those coaching these 6' 6" plus guys haven't learned from past mistakes and the limitations of the guys that they idolised.

Federer, Nadal and Djokovic really are a tiny minority, and a huge part of their continued success is down to this I feel.

Edited by Kendal Fox

14 hours ago, Facecloth said:

At least you can say they got the seeding right, but the top 4 make the semis :yawn:

It's been the same for years though hasn't it, I know it's not quite the guarantee it used to be but you know if reasonably on form and not seeded to meet each other the 3 remaining big four members are always good shouts to make the last four, they are still the best tennis players on the tour, the "next gen" are still a way besting them on a regular basis especially at the slams. And Thiem is an extremely good clay court player. 

5 minutes ago, spacemunky said:

Barty was down 0-3 to Anisimova in the 2nd set and now it's 3-3.

Whoever gets to 5 first is doomed!

Barty takes the set 6-3 lol 

A lot of fvck ups in this match.

Will probably finish something like 10-8 in the last.