Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Simi

Tennis

5 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Aliassime another one who obviously has promise but losses weird games like this.

Very little slam experience though. (I know we've just seen a 15 year old reach the second week in her first one). This his second time in the main draw, I'm sure he'll improve.

On 05/07/2019 at 09:19, fazzyfox said:

As soon as his opponent looks like they're getting some momentum Nadal goes through that same old routine of slowing the game down, breaking the momentum. The way he picks a ball, examines it as if he's never seen one before, bounces it several times then throws it away and repeats with another, like teams who do all they can to keep the football out of play, I can't have any respect for him if that's how he wins but it's down to the umpires to do their bit and issue the correct warnings etc. He's done very well to be back at this level after his injury years but I just find his games torturous to watch.

I take it you haven't watched Djokovic when things don't go his way?! Argues with the crowd if they're rooting for the other guy and shouts out frequently, clearly not only to slow down his opponents momentum, but also to intimidate them. Then bounces the ball, stops, bounces the ball again. I'm certain he takes longer between points than Rafa if you were to compare them side by side and time it.

Fair enough if you call out Novak too, but it's interesting how Nadal only seems to get this criticism by many. One thing he is not is belligerent and mean spirited like Djokovic. He doesn't get many breaks with the draws in recent slams either, playing several seeded players at the French before the quarters, then here playing both Kyrgios and Tsonga before the 4th round. Contrast that with Novak and he has had much lower tier opposition at the same stage.

Edited by Kendal Fox

5 minutes ago, Kendal Fox said:

I take it you haven't watched Djokovic when things don't go his way?! Argues with the crowd if they're rooting for the other guy and shouts out freqently, clearly not only to slow down his opponents momentum, but also to intimidate them. Then bounces the ball, stops, bounces the ball again. I'm certain he takes longer between points than Rafa if you were to compare them side by side and time it.

Fair enough if you call out Novak too, but it's interesting how Nadal only seems to get this criticism by many. One thing he is not is belligerent and mean spirited like Djokovic.

That post was during or just after a Nadal match where his opponent was getting grief about complain about Nadal's time wasting, hence a post about Nadals time wasting. Why would he mention Djokovic?

Edited by Facecloth

1 minute ago, Facecloth said:

That post was during or just after a Nadal match where his opponent was getting grief about complain about Nadal's time wasting, hence a post about Nadals time wasting. Why would he mention Djokovic?

First off, Nadal didn't go over the time limit and it's very naive to think Kyrgios' complaining was not done in part to wind up Nadal. Secondly, Djokovic is guilty of far worse sportsmanship than Nadal when things don't go his own way, but generally escapes that same criticism so in my mind it's relevant to contrast him.

I only ask for consistency.

Just now, Kendal Fox said:

First off, Nadal didn't go over the time limit and it's very naive to think Kyrgios' complaining was not done in part to wind up Nadal. Secondly, Djokovic is guilty of far worse sportsmanship than Nadal when things don't go his own way, but generally escapes that same criticism so in my mind it's relevant to contrast him.

I only ask for consistency.

The. Post. Was. Made. During. A. Nadal. Match. Why. Would. Someone. Mention. Djokovic?

Now I've broken it down does that make sense?

No Nadal didn't go over the time, but he was holding up Kyrgios as he prepared to serve, and the server dictates the speed. Whether Kyrgios did it to wind up Nadal or not (I don't think he did, I just think Kyrgios does what he wants, when he wants), he was right about Nadal holding him up. Nadal was constantly telling Kyrgios to wait as he wasn't ready to receive, as Kyrgios was stood there ball in hand preparing to serve. Sorry Rafa, you should be ready to receive and shouldn't be asking to other guy to wait for you to tuck your hair behind your ear and pull your pants out your arse for the billionth time.

And yes Djokovic is a knob at times and bounces the ball like 40 times before he serves, but he wasn't playing, but I'm sure when he is and he does it and it becomes a focal point of a match it'll get a mention.

4 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

The. Post. Was. Made. During. A. Nadal. Match. Why. Would. Someone. Mention. Djokovic?

Now I've broken it down does that make sense?

No Nadal didn't go over the time, but he was holding up Kyrgios as he prepared to serve, and the server dictates the speed. Whether Kyrgios did it to wind up Nadal or not (I don't think he did, I just think Kyrgios does what he wants, when he wants), he was right about Nadal holding him up. Nadal was constantly telling Kyrgios to wait as he wasn't ready to receive, as Kyrgios was stood there ball in hand preparing to serve. Sorry Rafa, you should be ready to receive and shouldn't be asking to other guy to wait for you to tuck your hair behind your ear and pull your pants out your arse for the billionth time.

And yes Djokovic is a knob at times and bounces the ball like 40 times before he serves, but he wasn't playing, but I'm sure when he is and he does it and it becomes a focal point of a match it'll get a mention. 

It makes sense to me to bring it up regardless of which one has just played because they are 2 of the 3 best players of the last 15 years and again, Nadal has always been singled out more than the other two for criticism. Maybe we'll have to agree to disagree there.

As for when Djokovic plays, almost always against seeded opposition there's a moment when he throws a hissy fit and when his serve is under pressure his bouncing of the ball, stop bounce again ad infinitum goes up another level. But I don't see anywhere near the same level of criticism of him post match. Perhaps you will, but many overlook Novak's behaviour which is worse than Rafa's in this regard.

2 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Dan Evans is a very good player to watch when in flow, got ability but unfortunately his personal life has got in the way of him really establishing himself. 

He's only 29. Might have stunted his career but theres still a few years left to make something of an impact.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Kendal Fox said:

It makes sense to me to bring it up regardless of which one has just played because they are 2 of the 3 best players of the last 15 years and again, Nadal has always been singled out more than the other two for criticism. Maybe we'll have to agree to disagree there.

As for when Djokovic plays, almost always against seeded opposition there's a moment when he throws a hissy fit and when his serve is under pressure his bouncing of the ball, stop bounce again ad infinitum goes up another level. But I don't see anywhere near the same level of criticism of him post match. Perhaps you will, but many overlook Novak's behaviour which is worse than Rafa's in this regard.

Not really, people where discussing Nadal v Kyrgios, so Nadals behaviour was discussed. Not sure if Djokovics get mentioned less or not, but I don't recall you bringing it up until now, so you can't really complain about it not being talked about if you don't talk about it yourself. EDIT: I'd also point out that just because Djokovic annoys you doesn't mean people are obliged to bring him when talking about other players that annoy them. If you unprompted start talking about Djokovic annoying you, do you also make a point of mentioning Nadal, just to balance it?

Anyway I find the Djokovic ball bouncing annoying, I've seen it mentioned in places, but nowhere near as annoying as all of Nadals weird little pre point rituals. And back to the point of the match the other day, Djokovic is serving at his speed in his time, even if it is annoying, Nadal was slowing down the server, and imo that a lot more of a dirty tactic.

All irrelevant anyway, Dan will see Nadal off in the next round once he done with Sousa :thumbup:

Edited by Facecloth

11 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

This Evans/Sousa match is a good watch at the moment.

Bad timing for a lull from Evans, it gave away that second set.

Looks like Sousa is dropping off now though, just as Evans picks up a bit.

Edited by Facecloth

38 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

He's only 29. Might have stunted his career but theres still a few years left to make something of an impact.

Wawrinka was a late bloomer; not that I’m saying he can achieve that but a chance to start getting to the latter stages of the GS events.

Edited by foxes_rule1978

1 minute ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Wawrinka was a late bloomer not that I’m saying he can achieve that but a chance to get to the later stages of the GS events 

Yeah won first slam at 28/29 after having a average slam career prior. Reached a few quarters and semi.

Nothing to say Evans can't chalk up a few quarters or a semi before he retires. And you never know might even nick a couple of smaller titles too.

2 hours ago, Facecloth said:

Not really, people where discussing Nadal v Kyrgios, so Nadals behaviour was discussed. Not sure if Djokovics get mentioned less or not, but I don't recall you bringing it up until now, so you can't really complain about it not being talked about if you don't talk about it yourself. EDIT: I'd also point out that just because Djokovic annoys you doesn't mean people are obliged to bring him when talking about other players that annoy them. If you unprompted start talking about Djokovic annoying you, do you also make a point of mentioning Nadal, just to balance it?

Anyway I find the Djokovic ball bouncing annoying, I've seen it mentioned in places, but nowhere near as annoying as all of Nadals weird little pre point rituals. And back to the point of the match the other day, Djokovic is serving at his speed in his time, even if it is annoying, Nadal was slowing down the server, and imo that a lot more of a dirty tactic.

All irrelevant anyway, Dan will see Nadal off in the next round once he done with Sousa :thumbup:

I've mentioned Djokovic's behaviour a few times before. And it is his behaviour that annoys me rather than he, himself.

What I find puzzling is the amount of support for Kyrgios over Nadal, even though he hasn't won a major and acts like a cvnt all the time, where as Nadal, OCD behaviour or not, at least doesn't speak bad about people. ALL of the top players are guilty of gamesmanship, Federer included. So again, I believe much of the slagging of Nadal is because he is the most enigmatic. People seem to either love conventional players, or bad boys but not if you are simply unorthodox. But I digress...

Edited by Kendal Fox

8 minutes ago, Kendal Fox said:

I've mentioned Djokovic's behaviour a few times before. And it is his behaviour that annoys me rather than he, himself.

What I find puzzling is the amount of support for Kyrgios over Nadal, even though he hasn't won a major and acts like a cvnt all the time, where as Nadal, OCD behaviour or not, at least doesn't speak bad about people. ALL of the top players are guilty of gamesmanship, Federer included. So again, I believe much of the slagging of Nadal is because he is the most enigmatic. People seem to either love conventional players, or bad boys but not if you are simply unorthodox. But I digress...

We like an underdog.