Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Trav Le Bleu

Sick of X-Factor as No.1 at Chrimbo

Does anyone know what film/tv show the Buckley version is played in... it's driving me mad!! :frusty:

EDIT: Good old Wikipedia...

One of the notable aspects of the song's cultural role is how it has been so present in North American movie and tv soundtracks for years before it became a commercial hit. It is widely known as a soundtrack song. The song's evolution into its current status as a popular folk standard can be traced to its repeated use in such visual broadcast mediums, and, that's the way a large audience has been introduced to "Hallelujah".

The song has frequently been used in television shows and movies during scenes involving death or heartbreak. It has been featured in movies as diverse as Basquiat, The Edukators (Die fetten Jahre sind vorbei), Shrek (covered by John Cale in the movie and by Rufus Wainwright on the soundtrack), St. Ralph, Deliver Us from Evil, Kissed by Winter, Feast of Love, Barfuss, Lord of War, When Night is Falling and TV series such as Holby City, House, Falcon Beach, The L Word, The O.C. (twice by Jeff Buckley, once by Imogen Heap), Hollyoaks, The West Wing, Without a Trace, Cold Case, Criminal Minds, ER, The Shield, Nip/Tuck, Crossing Jordan, Drama and Nicole, Rescue Me, LAX, Roswell, Ugly Betty, Numb3rs, Scrubs, Mum, Heroin and Me, Friends, Nearly Famous and One Tree Hill.

In an editorial context, the song has been used in the Third Watch and Without a Trace episodes dealing with the 9/11 events. "Hallelujah" was played at the closing of NBC's Dateline on April 17, 2007, covering the Virginia Tech massacre. During the playing of the song, a montage of photographs regarding the events of the tragedy was displayed. Additionally, Cale's cover was used for the closing of the Stuff, a short film about John Frusciante in 1994 by Johnny Depp and Gibby Haynes. After the shooting massacre at NIU, the song was covered during a montage of YouTube users' responses to the massacre. The song, as covered by Christina Marie, could be heard at the end of the montage on Fox News Tonight with Shepherd Smith. On the September 29, 2008 broadcast of Late Show with David Letterman, the song (performed by Rufus Wainwright) was played over a farewell montage for actor Paul Newman, who had died three days earlier.

I heard on the radio yesterday that a contestant on American Idol sang this on the show this year. It created such a response that people were trying it but because the contestant hadn't made a record of it Jeff Buckleys version made it to number 1 in the i-pod chart.

This was the reason why Simon Cowell chose it for the X-Factor winner.

Personally I'm a non-partaker of the Christmas festivities, but my favourite track with a festive bent is this

Featuring Tim Burgess too (let's give him a credit since the vid doesn't :rolleyes: )

and a shameless airing of Sarah Cracknell :wub:

Trav, you're a ruddy genius. All Cracknell references gratefully received.

I'll throw Oh Come, Oh Come, Emmanuel by Belle & Sebastian into the hat too. Not the pap Sixpence None The Richer version, though.

I hate how X Factor has taken the excitement out of Christmas Number 1. It used to be a great battle between new Christmas songs, now it's tedious. Nothing against Alex she's great and it's a good cover, I just wish A. It wasn't a cover version, they'd given her a new song to sing and B. It wasn't released at Christmas.

Archived