Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Dr The Singh

Have the BBC gone crazy, this is really daft

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7811348.stm

I can't believe 10 complaints have caused this change, are the BBC so PC???

BBC acts over light-skinned doll

The doll (right) differs from how Upsy Daisy appears in the show (left)

The BBC is to replace a doll based on the Upsy Daisy character from CBeebies TV show In the Night Garden following complaints it is too light-skinned.

A BBC Worldwide spokesman said it had conducted research after getting "a handful" of complaints that the doll had lighter skin than the TV character.

The BBC would now bring out a version with "a darker skin tone", he said.

Manufacturer Hasbro has been asked to create a different version that will appear in stores from Easter onwards.

The BBC Worldwide spokesman denied newspaper reports the doll had been recalled from stores.

"We are not withdrawing the old doll because most people are happy with it," he told the BBC News website.

'Happy and optimistic'

In the Night Garden - the brainchild of Teletubbies co-creators Anne Wood and Andy Davenport - is one of the UK's most successful children's programmes.

Launched on digital channel CBeebies in 2007, the show features a mix of actors in costumes, puppets and computer animation.

The spokesman said the doll was darker in colour because it was based on the animated version of the Upsy Daisy character rather than the version that appears in the live-action sections.

The characters are toys, not representations of people

Ragdoll Productions

Ragdoll Productions, the company behind the show, said the character had not been "intended to represent a specific race or culture".

"The characters are toys, not representations of people," it added.

"The culture they collectively embody is unique to the garden setting in which they live."

According to the CBeebies website, Upsy Daisy is "generally a happy and optimistic character".

"She loves to dance regardless of the occasion and has her own special bed that has a mind of its own," it adds.

The BBC is to replace a doll based on the Upsy Daisy character from CBeebies TV show In the Night Garden following complaints it is too light-skinned.

A BBC Worldwide spokesman said it had conducted research after getting "a handful" of complaints that the doll had lighter skin than the TV character.

Manufacturer Hasbro has been asked to create a different version that will appear in stores from Easter onwards.

The BBC Worldwide spokesman denied newspaper reports the doll had been recalled from stores.

"We are not withdrawing the old doll because most people are happy with it," he told the BBC News website.

'Happy and optimistic'

In the Night Garden - the brainchild of Teletubbies co-creators Anne Wood and Andy Davenport - is one of the UK's most successful children's programmes.

Launched on digital channel CBeebies in 2007, the show features a mix of actors in costumes, puppets and computer animation.

The spokesman said the doll was darker in colour because it was based on the animated version of the Upsy Daisy character rather than the version that appears in the live-action sections.

Ragdoll Productions

Ragdoll Productions, the company behind the show, said the character had not been "intended to represent a specific race or culture".

"The culture they collectively embody is unique to the garden setting in which they live."

According to the CBeebies website, Upsy Daisy is "generally a happy and optimistic character".

"She loves to dance regardless of the occasion and has her own special bed that has a mind of its own," it adds.

sounds like my bed

Surely anyone with an ounce of sanity would question the BBC at this time - in the past six months they've given us 'The Kids Are Alright with John Barrowman' and 'Dale Winton's Hole In the Wall', the first of which is a moot point and the second just rubbing blatant homosexuality and toilet-trading in the faces of the great British public. I for one will not stand for this outrageous left-wing liberalism and will be issuing a missive to my local parliamentary MP immediately.

Just after I've adjusted my nipple-clamps.

Colonel James Watt-Watt(Mrs), Tunbridge Wells. :angry:

I find it hilarious the way the BBC put all headlines in inverted commas these days. It's such bad journalism it's laughable. Examples today:

Playing golf can 'damage hearing'

Surely a more correct headline would be Study shows playing golf can damage hearing. Alternatively even to be grammatically correct with the inverted commas the word 'can' should be within the commas.

Plus the fact it is a total non story and is on the front page.

The doll story sounds perfectly believable, the BBC may as well have Labour politicians running it.

Edit - reminds me of the stories which used to scroll along the ticker on Sim City 2000

I find it hilarious the way the BBC put all headlines in inverted commas these days. It's such bad journalism it's laughable. Examples today:

Surely a more correct headline would be Study shows playing golf can damage hearing. Alternatively even to be grammatically correct with the inverted commas the word 'can' should be within the commas.

The doll story sounds perfectly believable, the BBC may as well have Labour politicians running it.

According to Thracian they do.

'Happy and optimistic'

Ragdoll Productions

The BBC can be pathetic at times but I don't see this as one of them.

If it is true that they are retaining the new doll and simply adding another doll as an option in their stores I cannot see the problem.

Many collectors, or organisations that serve collectors, pay great attention to detail and expect representations of different characters or things to be accurate.

However if the BBC believe there's legitimate complaint about their first doll and that they should react to customer demand for a product that is closer to the original I'd say that's the sort of decision all sorts of manufacturers and stockists take every day and have every right to.

Merchandising is big money. Any one or all of the complaining customers might spend big bucks, not that it necessarily matters, and the BBC, just like anyone else, should always be mindful of responding to the demands and expectations of their customers.

Edit - reminds me of the stories which used to scroll along the ticker on Sim City 2000

I don't understand - where in this thread is their anything to do with inverted comma's in headlines or about golf damaging hearing?

What you must understand with headlines are that they tend to be short and catchy to get you to read the rest of the story and don't have to be gramatically correct. The 'inverted commas' bit's signify that this isn't the reporter saying this, it is someone within the news story.

Your 'correct' headline of 'Study shows playing golf can damage hearing' is not only very boring, but also acts as a factual statement. There appears little need to read on, it's just a plain bold statement that golf can damage hearing.

And may I ask while I rant - source!

I don't understand - where in this thread is their anything to do with inverted comma's in headlines or about golf damaging hearing?

What you must understand with headlines are that they tend to be short and catchy to get you to read the rest of the story and don't have to be gramatically correct. The 'inverted commas' bit's signify that this isn't the reporter saying this, it is someone within the news story.

Your 'correct' headline of 'Study shows playing golf can damage hearing' is not only very boring, but also acts as a factual statement. There appears little need to read on, it's just a plain bold statement that golf can damage hearing.

And may I ask while I rant - source!

It was just a general rant about the BBC's persistent pedantism. The Golf story is on the news front page, and stories with that style of headline really piss me off. I wasn't suggesting my headline would be more interesting. It was a pretty straightforward statement I don't see why it needs a rant in reply.

To be fair, I don't think people would be too happy buying a replica leicester shirt that wasn't the correct colour. If it's authentic merchandise you'd expect it to be right. I think this story is attempting to make a fair observation into another 'pc gone mad' article.

Archived