Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tilley

Paul Dickov.

Dickov looks like his legs have gone. We need to move on from him.

If we'd have started with hayles we'd have won the game, seemed like pearson showed dickov some loyalty or gave him a last chance.

The way we play we need someone who can hold the ball up and win a few flick ons hayles did that when he came on. Don't get me wrong i don't think we should be relying on people such as bazza but last nigft he was the better option.

We've needed back up for howard all year this highlights how important he is.

I agree to an extent that its not really working, tho to be fair he came as close as anyone to scoring last night and im certain he'd have scored the header Fryatt missed.

I had a prolapsed disc in my back a couple of years ago (aged 29), I was off work for 3 months and actually I couldnt walk for a month, the injury improved with physio and i eventually recovered, but I had to give up Sunday League footie as id lost a lot of movement and the fear of injuring my back was again was too much!

My point is, Dickov had a severely prolapsed disc and in fact had a major operation to remove the disc itself! Obviously the treatment he received was much better than mine but I find it amazing that a 36 year old could carry on playing proffesional football after an injury like that and I think maybe its taking a long time for him to regain full fitness.

Not making excuses for him I just wonder whether we could cut him a bit of slack?

Pearson should have bought Hayles on for Dickov much earlier.

Twas another game where Pearson didn't make all the subs.

Why the fook didn't he get Chambers on for the last 10 minutes or so, we still had a sub left.

Pearson has done extremely well but he has been lucky on occasions where we have been playing shit, he hasn't made subs and we get goals from no where.

Last night he weren't so lucky, we didn't get a goal from no where and perhaps had he made the subs 15 minutes earlier and bought Gradel or Chambers on we would have won.

What was up with Fryatt last night, hes back to his lazy slow useless self again, ever since he got his new deal.

His goal against Huddersfield was nothing really, the ball just sort of hit him and went into the goal.

I was just shocked that Pearson didn't get Gradel or Chambers on, very strange to waste a sub that could have got us all 3 points.

Hayles really livened things up, had a couple of great flick ons, and he got the fans going, with chants of Barry Barry :P

I agree to an extent that its not really working, tho to be fair he came as close as anyone to scoring last night and im certain he'd have scored the header Fryatt missed.

I had a prolapsed disc in my back a couple of years ago (aged 29), I was off work for 3 months and actually I couldnt walk for a month, the injury improved with physio and i eventually recovered, but I had to give up Sunday League footie as id lost a lot of movement and the fear of injuring my back was again was too much!

My point is, Dickov had a severely prolapsed disc and in fact had a major operation to remove the disc itself! Obviously the treatment he received was much better than mine but I find it amazing that a 36 year old could carry on playing proffesional football after an injury like that and I think maybe its taking a long time for him to regain full fitness.

Not making excuses for him I just wonder whether we could cut him a bit of slack?

If the operation is still impeding him he shouldn't be anywhere near the team, Dickov and Pearson are paid large sums of money to perform and the possibility of him playing whilst still being affected is not a justifiable excuse for poor performances

Yeah he might be doing ok considering, but he's 36 and doesn't really have time on his side if he needs to recover fully.

We can't really keep playing him if he's not going to perform, but i would give perhaps until the end of the season and see.

I disagree with the criticism. He never had any really service; he came deep to get the ball and passed the ball well in the first half. He also put in a good crosses.

I think it was more to do with the fact we missed our target man and the likes of Cleverely & Dyer were woeful.

I think once people have an opinion they never change it and that goes with Dickov.

I thought Dickov runs and puts in a good shift, he is a bit part player who had no service, given a chance with Howard I can forsee goals, we will never know.

But the criticism to him is IMO unbelievable.

:laugh:

Not unbelievable, more like unanamous.

If the operation is still impeding him he shouldn't be anywhere near the team, Dickov and Pearson are paid large sums of money to perform and the possibility of him playing whilst still being affected is not a justifiable excuse for poor performances

I agree, im actually saying that I find it amazing he's even able to play at all.

I know from painful experience that there is no way at all that he has the same movement and strength in his body that he had before the injury!

I disagree with the criticism. He never had any really service; he came deep to get the ball and passed the ball well in the first half. He also put in a good crosses.

I think it was more to do with the fact we missed our target man and the likes of Cleverely & Dyer were woeful.

I think once people have an opinion they never change it and that goes with Dickov.

I thought Dickov runs and puts in a good shift, he is a bit part player who had no service, given a chance with Howard I can forsee goals, we will never know.

But the criticism to him is IMO unbelievable.

Sitcks out like a sore thump in this thread! Has Dickov's mum joined FT? :giggle::rolleyes:

I wasn't at the match last night, so can't really comment on Dickov's performance. But based on comments here and having seen his performance at Crystal Palace, it seems he was, as you could have predicted, absolute garbage.

I wouldn't have thought bringing on Hayles was the answer either. He's the most obvious replacement for Howard, though. I think starting him would have been the better option and then bring on Chambers as an impact player.

Sad to see such a toothless attacking display.

Not at all. I'm not talking about loanees.

I mentioned pre-season that we'd come to rely on loanees and that is increasingly the case. Thankfully, this season's have been reletively good. But the point still remains that the more loanees we use the less opportunity there is for our signed players and, particularly the young ones to develop.

It's a policy which means we have to build an all-but completely new team each season - almost as if it is policy - instead of gathering a basic team together and then adding a couple of home grown players here and a new signing there as a gradual progression.

Agree entirely, why bother to develop players for yourself when it is easier to just go out and buy/loan them. Whatever happened to that old fashioned idea of building a team over time? No-one has the patience I guess!

My worry is that assuming we are promoted, we will no longer be the big fish and we might find the competition much tougher when it comes to bringing in players, particularly on loan!

Pearson should have bought Hayles on for Dickov much earlier.

Twas another game where Pearson didn't make all the subs.

Why the fook didn't he get Chambers on for the last 10 minutes or so, we still had a sub left.

Pearson has done extremely well but he has been lucky on occasions where we have been playing shit, he hasn't made subs and we get goals from no where.

Last night he weren't so lucky, we didn't get a goal from no where and perhaps had he made the subs 15 minutes earlier and bought Gradel or Chambers on we would have won.

What was up with Fryatt last night, hes back to his lazy slow useless self again, ever since he got his new deal.

His goal against Huddersfield was nothing really, the ball just sort of hit him and went into the goal.

I was just shocked that Pearson didn't get Gradel or Chambers on, very strange to waste a sub that could have got us all 3 points.

Hayles really livened things up, had a couple of great flick ons, and he got the fans going, with chants of Barry Barry :P

Spot on, I have been going on about our lack of options for a while and last night was the obvious time to get Gradel and/or Chambers on to see what they could do. OK they may or may not have made the difference but it would have given them some game time and sharpened them up for next time!

I have also commented on our extremely cautious use of substitutes many times, saturday was the only time this season that I can recall our substitutions making a real difference and changing the game. Even then they really were forced changes caused by Gilbert being under the weather and having a 'mare!

He can have as much slack as he likes for me - even a deckchair at the training ground until he is fully fit.

I've always been horrified at City's penchant for playing unfit players.

Dickov all season really, Gilbert the last two games and any number of instances in previous seasons.

Either we've got alternatives who are worth the ink their contract is written on or we need some new signings.

For me the first requirement of any football team is a 16-man squad of fully fit players.

After what I have seen recently & after reading last nights post match thread & player ratings thread from those who went, I ask myself..

Why does Pearson persist with him?

Please put Chambers on on Saturday if you want to make a change up front. Jesus, I'll even take Hayles over this has been.

Dickov is at the mo quite simply is too slow.

That rhymes :giggle:

I dont know if he is 'past it' or just having a bad run.

Look at Fryatt season after season of utter shit and now 25 goals, they can't all be because we are in League 1 :P

Dickov may come good like Fryatt has, if Dj Campbell is given a chance he may be even better.

People put up with Fryatt been awful for 2 seasons+ and Howard awful last season, but no one wants our DJ even though he has hardly played :D

Think I will be the only one in thinking Dickov may still be of some use to us. Not sure how long Pearson will persist with giving him these chances to impress though, so far he hasn't looked anything like the player of old, except for his aggression!

I really thought he would be a good signing for us, as he did well while on loan at Blackpool and thought he would still be scoring in League 1. I think it's a lack of confidence, perhaps also having part of his back fused hasn't helped either.

He also hasn't seem able to build any kind of relationship with Howard, when replacing Fryatt.

I don't like writing off a player especially one who I really do think should be scoring at this level, however I'm finding it difficult to stay optimistic, especially with the manner of his performances recently. So for now Dickov you still have my backing to score a few if you're giving anymore chances but you're on thin ice boy!

That nifty back heel to Mattock was class on tuesday :thumbup:

Other than that he's failed to have the impact so far that we all hoped he would. I'm still hoping he comes good for us :fc:

Archived