Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Libertine

Mobile Phone Thread

Analysts in the business think Nokia is on the slippery slope: http://www.eetimes.eu/comms/219500720;jses...HRSKH4ATMY32JVN

I get to read this sort of stuff all day as part of my job.

I read an article somewhere a few weeks ago about the whole Nokia mobile phone range. It's massive. I can't recall the exact number, but it must be around 20 to 30 different types of mobile phones. I find that ridiculous. All this material and stuff that is thrown out by Nokia is now coming back. Going for quantity over quality is starting to do some serious damage to the company. They thought dishing it out big-time would do the trick, but the knowledge transfer and technical progress suffers tremendously, as technicians and engineers are split-up, working on so many different projects, separated.

Also, the actual quality of the phones themselves has decreased, too. It's the consequence of using cheap plastic, faulty displays and erratic software. Nokia used to be known for its reliability. It's long gone. :(

I'm gonna switch for an iPhone next year, as soon as my contract runs out.

I had one handset where switching the bluetooth on would cause the phone to crash, and another two handsets that would randomly turn themselves off and be reluctant to turn back on again for hours.

Fairly basic stuff to get right. I don't even go on the internet with my phone or anything exciting like that

Mobile phone Genii of Foxestalk, a question if i may.

When we visit next month, id like to have access to a simple phone/plan for use while we are there, (dont want to waste money on international roaming) I was hoping that i could grab a simple phone etc and pass the number out to family over here..and use it over there for bookings etc.

Any thoughts?

Mobile phone Genii of Foxestalk, a question if i may.

When we visit next month, id like to have access to a simple phone/plan for use while we are there, (dont want to waste money on international roaming) I was hoping that i could grab a simple phone etc and pass the number out to family over here..and use it over there for bookings etc.

Any thoughts?

My Uncle is over there at present, all you need to do is take your phone over there and by a pre-paid british sim and place that in your current phone. If u take your Aussie Sim and place in your phone when u want just to check messages etc. and then just reply with your british Sim.

I heard Virgin has good call rates and especially to Australia. But ft fraternity would know who the best carrier/s are.

My Uncle is over there at present, all you need to do is take your phone over there and by a pre-paid british sim and place that in your current phone. If u take your Aussie Sim and place in your phone when u want just to check messages etc. and then just reply with your british Sim.

I heard Virgin has good call rates and especially to Australia. But ft fraternity would know who the best carrier/s are.

What if his phone is locked?

Buy a cheap phone from Telstra in the pre-paid section, and you can get it unlocked if you buy another sim-card or something like that (We've done it, if you want more details PM me and I'll get more details from the folks). Take it to the UK, buy a prepaid sim-card and your done ((:

Edited by aussiecityfan

When I was in OZ, Vodafone temporarily abolished roaming charges to all EU countries and to OZ and NZ throughout the summer (it's now finished). If you were on a contract with inclusive texts and minutes, then all calls etc back to the UK came out of that. It was bloody brilliant.

I mention this, not to rub it in, but just in case Vodafone are going to do a similar thing to Aussies and Kiwis. It would only be fair like, but I would guess that if they did, it would be in the middle of your summer, not this time of year, but it might be worth investigating. :dunno:

T-Mobile and Orange in UK merger

T-Mobile and Orange are to merge their UK businesses, creating a mobile phone giant with 28.4 million customers.

The deal between Orange-owner France Telecom and Deutsche Telekom's T-Mobile UK will see a business with sales of 9.4bn euros (£8.2bn; $13.5bn).

Holding about 37% of the mobile market it will be the UK's largest provider, overtaking Telefonica's O2.

It is the second large corporate deal in two days, after Kraft Food's £10.2bn takeover proposal for Cadbury.

Orange and T-Mobile said their deal - due to be signed by November - would "bring substantial benefits to UK customers", and promised expanded network coverage, better network quality and improved customer services.

However it is likely that competition authorities in the UK and EU will probe the deal.

'Efficiencies'

Both brands will remain separate for the first 18 months after the deal is completed while branding is reviewed.

Orange chief executive Tom Alexander will lead the new company, with T-Mobile's UK boss Richard Moat as chief operating officer.

Orange employs 12,500 people in the UK, while T-Mobile has UK workforce of 6,500.

A spokeswoman confirmed there would be "efficiencies" that could be made across both businesses - but said it was too early to give details of any impact on staff.

Integrating the business will cost between £600m and £800m, the firms said. This bill would include decommissioning mobile phone masts, cutting back the network of stores and streamlining other operations. Over time, savings should reach about £3.5bn, they added.

Mobile phone analyst Nigel Hawkins told the BBC that it was not unprecedented for a firm to have move than a third of a European country's mobile phone market.

"Over the next few weeks and months there will inevitably be some negotiation with regulators, and we could see some concessions from the operators," he added.

"If the deal goes ahead, then this merged firm, along with O2 and Vodafone will have more than 90% of the UK market and there will be concern that there remains plenty of competition and that this position is not abused."

Avoiding writedowns

Deutsche Telekom said earlier this year that it was considering its options for its UK business - which has struggled to win customers in the highly competitive market - which sees five operators and several smaller players compete.

Observers say that a joint venture allows the German firm to avoid the write downs it could face if forced to sell T-Mobile UK for less than it hoped.

Meanwhile, for France Telecom, the deal it is a way to strengthen its position in the UK market without paying cash or taking on vastly more debt.

T-Mobile is currently the fourth-largest mobile operator in the UK, with a 15% share of the market. O2 has a 27% share, followed by Vodafone (25%) and Orange (22%).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8243226.stm

O2 are doing my nut in!

my phone charger bit has bust because the conenctor is fooked so i rang customer service yesterday saying that and the woman there said i need to take it into an o2 store to make sure its not the charger that is broke, so i have did that earlier and the bloke in the store said i need to claim on my insurance. so i rang my phone insurance and they said i need to send it away for up to 3 weeks to get it repaired, although the bloke in the store said it wont be able to be repaired so i will have to wait another 3 weeks before it comes back so i can claim on my insurance. and by that time i will have 3 months left on my contract so i am tempted to ring up and cancel in now although it will still cost me 3 X £35 a month, but that way i get a brand new phone with probably a better company.

what do you think i should do?

what phones do people suggest?

Looking at the Hero, or N97 but open to suggest

Just been on the phone to a woman at Orange and these are my options:

Option 1

dolphin 40

• 1200 mins
  • Unlim texts
  • 500mg Data
  • 24 month contract
  • Free HTC Hero
  • £29.36 a month
  • inclusive sat nav with Orange Maps

Option 2

dolphin 45

• 1200 mins
  • Unlim texts
  • 500mg Data
  • 18 month contract
  • Free HTC Hero
  • £34.26 a month
  • inclusive sat nav with Orange Maps

Option 3

dolphin 35

• 600 mins
  • Unlim texts
  • 500mg Data
  • 18 month contract
  • HTC Hero £97.50
  • £29.36 a month

also add £6 on to each one for insurance

All i need to decide is which to have.

She also told me instead of cancelling my contract outright at O2 to reduce it down each month so i end up paying £20 a month, then £15 then £10 on the last month hopefully instead of paying £105 to cancel.

Which one should i go for?

Edited by JoeyB

Good man. Enjoy. They will be updating the app store soon, I am quite sure you will enjoy the integration of your contact list, no phone does it like this. Best part of the phone for me! :)

Not seen/ been on it yet, what apps do you suggest i get?

any links?

Not seen/ been on it yet, what apps do you suggest i get?

any links?

Facebook

Twidroid (don't think you're on twitter though)

FX Camera

Pic Say Pro

Quickpedia

Flixster

Soccer Livescores

London Tube Maps (If needed)

Free Dictionary

Places Directory

There are many planned for release so I hear, the whole point of this phone is having your 7 home screens customized to how you want them, just keeping checking the android market for more. That is what I do. Oh and keep updating your apps too!

I'm thinking of switching to Vodafone. I want the Sony Ericsson C905 but Orange don't do it. I can get exactly the same contract with Vodafone that I'm on with Orange and keep my number, so I think that's what I'm gonna do.

Facebook

Twidroid (don't think you're on twitter though)

FX Camera

Pic Say Pro

Quickpedia

Flixster

Soccer Livescores

London Tube Maps (If needed)

Free Dictionary

Places Directory

There are many planned for release so I hear, the whole point of this phone is having your 7 home screens customized to how you want them, just keeping checking the android market for more. That is what I do. Oh and keep updating your apps too!

Is it just mine? or does yours keep saying there has been an error and its needs to close?