Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Libertine

Mobile Phone Thread

Nice

I'm going for the same contract and phone asap, just waiting for them to allow the 30% discount on the tariff that I get through my work. Was desperate to get the 3GS but I can wait if it's gonna save me that amount of money

My work do o2 discount too, where do you work?

After reading this review, I've decided I'm going to get the Nokia N97 next month when I'm due my 'Full' up-grade.

Rivals: Nokia N97 versus iPhone 3G versus iPhone 3G S

Nokia has finally delivered a smartphone handset which easily rivals the iPhone 3G / 3G S. On paper, the specs are amazing. Let's take a closer look, with what we know so far, and see whether it's an iPhone killer or not. Should Apple be worried?

Look & Feel

The Nokia N97 measures 117.2 (L) x 55.3 (W) x 15.9mm (D) compared to the iPhone 3G's / 3G S's 115.5 (H) x 62.1 (W) x 12.3mm (D); the N97 weighs 150g compared to the iPhone 3G's 133g and iPhone 3G S's 135g. All pretty similar.

The N97 obviously has the slide out QWERTY keyboard and features a tilting touchscreen, whereas the iPhones are single, static units.

Screen

The 320 x 480 3:2 ratio screen on both iPhone models is eclipsed by the Nokia N97's true widescreen (16:9) 640 x 360 pixels. Both measure 3.5 inches diagonally. Nokia definitely wins on this one, as not only will TV/DVD based widescreen movies fill the whole screen, but there's more resolution.

nokia-n97-open-view.jpg

Camera

Again, the N97 wins hands down on the camera front, offering five megapixels, Carl Zeiss Tessar optics, and a LED flash / video light. Yes, video. The N97 will shoot video at DVD quality (30fps). The iPhone 3G, by comparison, has no video functionality and a paltry 2MP camera with no flash or focus, while the iPhone 3G S bumps that up only a little to a 3MP camera, autofocus, and 30fps VGA video recording.

Multimedia

Both handsets are heavyweights when it comes to consuming multimedia content, with both phones loyal to their companies' services - the iPhones obviously have access to a huge range of content via the iTunes Store, with all other content having to go via iTunes. The N97 has access to the Nokia Music Store.

Both can play a wide variety of audio formats, but the N97 manages WMA on top of MP3, AAC, eAAC and eAAC+.

Both play variations of the MPEG4 video format, but the N97 also supports Windows Media 9 and Flash Lite/Flash Video via the Internet browser.

Navigation

The iPhones utilise A-GPS and Google Maps, plus any third-party applications which use geo-location data. Additionally, the iPhone 3G S has a built-in digital compass. The iPhone OS 3.0 software upgrade will allow turn-by-turn navigation, but not via Google Maps.

The Nokia N97 has A-GPS and an electronic compass and uses Nokia Maps.

Google Maps offers 3D views of selected cities, driving, limited public transport and walking directions.

Nokia Maps offers multimedia city guides and navigation services, voice-guided car navigation, pedestrian-optimised guidance.

The N97 currently wins on navigation functionality, as the Nokia Maps system does seem to offer a wider range of options, however individual usage will vary depending on location. It will be interesting to see how third party apps utilise the more advanced navigation possibilities in iPhone OS 3.0.

Communications

Both phones offer HSDPA and Wi-Fi connectivity. The N97 has the full Bluetooth 2.0 A2DP implementation. The iPhone 3.0 OS upgrade should offer the full Bluetooth 2.0 implementation but early reports suggest that it's still flawed. Nokia win.

Web Browsing

Both handsets offer full access to Internet web sites, but the Nokia N97 offers support for Flash Lite 3.0 and Flash Video, so will be able to render pages more fully than the iPhone which doesn't. It's not immediately clear from the specs whether the N97 offers in-browser Java support, the iPhone 3G doesn't.

Operating System

The initial Nokia N97 specifications don't explicitly mention which operating system is being used, but I presume, as an NSeries phone, it's Symbian-based. The iPhone 3G uses OS X.

Storage

The iPhones comes in either 8GB, 16GB or 32GB of fixed storage with no external expansion. The Nokia N97 comes with 32GB of internal memory plus up to 16GB of microSD expansion. Nokia wins on expandability.

Applications

iPhone users have access to the standard range of useful applications plus a host of free and pay-for applications in the iPhone App Store via iTunes.

Assuming no restrictions, users will be able to install Symbian-based applications onto the Nokia N97.

Pricing & Networks

In the UK, the Nokia N97 will be available contract free for £499, or from free on various contracts oon all networks bar O2.

The iPhone 3G / iPhone 3G S is currently locked in to the O2 network. Pricing from free on 24 month contracts, also available from £342.50 on Pay & Go.

Conclusion

Technically, the Nokia N97 beats the iPhone in nearly every area - screen resolution, camera, web browser, video capability, storage - but of course it's a newer handset.

There's a lot of buzz surrounding the N97, and rightly so, but will its superior specs beat the "I want one" iPhone factor?

Time will tell. Do you want your phone to be Apple-flavoured or Nokia-flavoured? And what about the price - both are fairly hefty or require a serious contract.

After reading this review, I've decided I'm going to get the Nokia N97 next month when I'm due my 'Full' up-grade.

Rivals: Nokia N97 versus iPhone 3G versus iPhone 3G S

Nokia has finally delivered a smartphone handset which easily rivals the iPhone 3G / 3G S. On paper, the specs are amazing. Let's take a closer look, with what we know so far, and see whether it's an iPhone killer or not. Should Apple be worried?

Look & Feel

The Nokia N97 measures 117.2 (L) x 55.3 (W) x 15.9mm (D) compared to the iPhone 3G's / 3G S's 115.5 (H) x 62.1 (W) x 12.3mm (D); the N97 weighs 150g compared to the iPhone 3G's 133g and iPhone 3G S's 135g. All pretty similar.

The N97 obviously has the slide out QWERTY keyboard and features a tilting touchscreen, whereas the iPhones are single, static units.

Screen

The 320 x 480 3:2 ratio screen on both iPhone models is eclipsed by the Nokia N97's true widescreen (16:9) 640 x 360 pixels. Both measure 3.5 inches diagonally. Nokia definitely wins on this one, as not only will TV/DVD based widescreen movies fill the whole screen, but there's more resolution.

nokia-n97-open-view.jpg

Camera

Again, the N97 wins hands down on the camera front, offering five megapixels, Carl Zeiss Tessar optics, and a LED flash / video light. Yes, video. The N97 will shoot video at DVD quality (30fps). The iPhone 3G, by comparison, has no video functionality and a paltry 2MP camera with no flash or focus, while the iPhone 3G S bumps that up only a little to a 3MP camera, autofocus, and 30fps VGA video recording.

Multimedia

Both handsets are heavyweights when it comes to consuming multimedia content, with both phones loyal to their companies' services - the iPhones obviously have access to a huge range of content via the iTunes Store, with all other content having to go via iTunes. The N97 has access to the Nokia Music Store.

Both can play a wide variety of audio formats, but the N97 manages WMA on top of MP3, AAC, eAAC and eAAC+.

Both play variations of the MPEG4 video format, but the N97 also supports Windows Media 9 and Flash Lite/Flash Video via the Internet browser.

Navigation

The iPhones utilise A-GPS and Google Maps, plus any third-party applications which use geo-location data. Additionally, the iPhone 3G S has a built-in digital compass. The iPhone OS 3.0 software upgrade will allow turn-by-turn navigation, but not via Google Maps.

The Nokia N97 has A-GPS and an electronic compass and uses Nokia Maps.

Google Maps offers 3D views of selected cities, driving, limited public transport and walking directions.

Nokia Maps offers multimedia city guides and navigation services, voice-guided car navigation, pedestrian-optimised guidance.

The N97 currently wins on navigation functionality, as the Nokia Maps system does seem to offer a wider range of options, however individual usage will vary depending on location. It will be interesting to see how third party apps utilise the more advanced navigation possibilities in iPhone OS 3.0.

Communications

Both phones offer HSDPA and Wi-Fi connectivity. The N97 has the full Bluetooth 2.0 A2DP implementation. The iPhone 3.0 OS upgrade should offer the full Bluetooth 2.0 implementation but early reports suggest that it's still flawed. Nokia win.

Web Browsing

Both handsets offer full access to Internet web sites, but the Nokia N97 offers support for Flash Lite 3.0 and Flash Video, so will be able to render pages more fully than the iPhone which doesn't. It's not immediately clear from the specs whether the N97 offers in-browser Java support, the iPhone 3G doesn't.

Operating System

The initial Nokia N97 specifications don't explicitly mention which operating system is being used, but I presume, as an NSeries phone, it's Symbian-based. The iPhone 3G uses OS X.

Storage

The iPhones comes in either 8GB, 16GB or 32GB of fixed storage with no external expansion. The Nokia N97 comes with 32GB of internal memory plus up to 16GB of microSD expansion. Nokia wins on expandability.

Applications

iPhone users have access to the standard range of useful applications plus a host of free and pay-for applications in the iPhone App Store via iTunes.

Assuming no restrictions, users will be able to install Symbian-based applications onto the Nokia N97.

Pricing & Networks

In the UK, the Nokia N97 will be available contract free for £499, or from free on various contracts oon all networks bar O2.

The iPhone 3G / iPhone 3G S is currently locked in to the O2 network. Pricing from free on 24 month contracts, also available from £342.50 on Pay & Go.

Conclusion

Technically, the Nokia N97 beats the iPhone in nearly every area - screen resolution, camera, web browser, video capability, storage - but of course it's a newer handset.

There's a lot of buzz surrounding the N97, and rightly so, but will its superior specs beat the "I want one" iPhone factor?

Time will tell. Do you want your phone to be Apple-flavoured or Nokia-flavoured? And what about the price - both are fairly hefty or require a serious contract.

Just a word of warning, the Nokia Ovi apps store for symbian phones is absolutely shit! There are some great apps available but you'll have to search for them

Just a word of warning, the Nokia Ovi apps store for symbian phones is absolutely shit! There are some great apps available but you'll have to search for them

Yea I would imagine the apps for the Nokia are pretty limited at the moment as it's a relatively new phone, hopefully with time there will be a lot more available on the market.

I only really use my phone for calls, texting and Facebook. Having said that, the more apps that become available the more I will use the phone I guess.

Edited by fox123

Yea I would imagine the apps for the Nokia are pretty limited at the moment as it's a relatively new phone, hopefully with time there will be a lot more available on the market.

I only really use my phone for calls, texting and Facebook. Having said that, the more apps that become available the more I will use the phone I guess.

It's not just the quantity of apps on the store that are a problem, it rarely allows you to login and download them properly, as you say things will probably get better. I'd probably go for the HTC Magic if buying today, android is a great os.

It's not just the quantity of apps on the store that are a problem, it rarely allows you to login and download them properly, as you say things will probably get better. I'd probably go for the HTC Magic if buying today, android is a great os.

:huh: You said that before upgrading to the phone you've got.

disabled central?

Im quite offended :cry:

Mainly based on all the arses at work who bum them. Nothing on you mate.

Got the Blackberry on O2, don't really like it. 14 days to cancel contract...so We'll see. Mihgt just find an old 3310 to solve the problem at this rate.

• 3 weeks later...

Black of the Berry fans - my bold has arrived, and I'm busy trying to figure out how to use it and all. Whats apps / websites are good for it. Foxestalk sadly is a little big for it, and even with the 3gness of the bold, it's slow once you have to enlarge the page a couple of times each page.

As soon as I pick up my card from Ched I'm going to sort out a Blackberry.

iphones Just seen disabled central to me. I'd ONLY be buying it for the Alan Partridge app.

Cancelled the Blackberry on day 13...Got an iphone going against all rituals, still feel a willy puller using it but my God its an amazing bit of kit.

Cancelled the Blackberry on day 13...Got an iphone going against all rituals, still feel a willy puller using it but my God its an amazing bit of kit.

Welcome to disabled Central :D I love mine too and dont regret getting it for a second :thumbup:

Was just going to remind him myself. Tom you better have this thing by Watford away. And a full battery, because let's be honest, it's getting raped on the journey there and back.
He's got it. I was listening to them all at half time at St. James'. Awesome.

I'm taking mine back sometime and getting a new one on contract. I'm spending too much on credit at the mo.

Yeah maybe I won't go Watford away with you lot. :giggle:

iPhones are amazing, I love them but the HTC Hero Android is the winner for me. I bloody love it. Great piece of technology that will only get better, some of the apps are amazing, some of the upcoming apps are going to be mind blowing. The integration of sites such as twitter, facebook and flickr is brilliant.

They need to get a Facebook app just like the one I downloaded for the iPod Touch, the Facebook 3.0 app is bloody brilliant and twitteriffic for the touch is probably the best twitter app going.

I'll be receiving my THIRD replacement Nokia 6700 from Orange this evening.

I've not had a Nokia for about 6 years and they used to be really good. Did they decide to stop making phones that work at some point?

Nokia got too clever for their own good I think and the more stuff they did with the phones the worse the reliability got.... used to be the best phones on the market now one of the worst.

Nokia got too clever for their own good I think and the more stuff they did with the phones the worse the reliability got.... used to be the best phones on the market now one of the worst.

Apart from the joysticks wearing out, I never had a problem with my Sony Ericssons. Come to think of it, the last person to get a new Nokia in my office had no end of trouble with it as well.

I've had my replacement one for about 4 minutes and so far it has functioned perfectly

Apart from the joysticks wearing out, I never had a problem with my Sony Ericssons. Come to think of it, the last person to get a new Nokia in my office had no end of trouble with it as well.

I've had my replacement one for about 4 minutes and so far it has functioned perfectly

My last Sony was a pile of shite and constantly going wrong..... W890i but I think I was just unlucky - I like Samsungs but wouldnt get rid of my iphone now lol

Analysts in the business think Nokia is on the slippery slope: http://www.eetimes.eu/comms/219500720;jses...HRSKH4ATMY32JVN

I get to read this sort of stuff all day as part of my job.