Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Libertine

Mobile Phone Thread

Nice summary, I think I'll be staying well clear then!! The main thing I am after is a reasonable deal on either a HTC Desire, Wildfire or an Orange San Francisco. At the minute I only pay £15 p/month which gets me 100 mins, unltd texts and no internet. The main thing that i'll be needing with one of the phones above would be the internet.

If anyone has used these phones before then any comments would be greatly appreciated! :)

Person at work has the San fran. Not a patch on the Desire. Main points, the screen is crap and its slow.

Got the Desire for the wife. My enthusiasm for it has waned dramatically - it's not a patch on my i4 and I wish I'd got her one of them.

I'll swap the Desire for a packet of half-eaten Peanuts - then you can get an i4 for Wife #1 and feel all charitable at the same time. :D

A lot of independent reviews say that the Desire is the best smartphone on the market (better than the Desire HD). I've obviously not compared them but I have a Desire and I have to say it is a top notch piece of kit.

Yes it has issues with the battery (like all Android phones) but at least it works without you having to buy a special case and it doesn't have any issues with alarms not working on New Years Day or after the clocks change (yes, I'm referring to the the iPhone)

I'll swap the Desire for a packet of half-eaten Peanuts - then you can get an i4 for Wife #1 and feel all charitable at the same time. :D

Talk to the woman. The woman who was banging the phone this morning!

"What are you doing, wench?"

"Trying to get the screen to move."

:blink::dunno:

I've sent an email to Anna Friel to ready herself.

It needs a nice home, where it'll be cared for, loved and appreciated. :D:wave:

Seriously, I am thinking of getting the Desire - what's so bad about it? (Apart from the fact it's not an i4, blah, blah!)

A lot of independent reviews say that the Desire is the best smartphone on the market (better than the Desire HD). I've obviously not compared them but I have a Desire and I have to say it is a top notch piece of kit.

Yes it has issues with the battery (like all Android phones) but at least it works without you having to buy a special case and it doesn't have any issues with alarms not working on New Years Day or after the clocks change (yes, I'm referring to the the iPhone)

All smartphones including the Iphone have a shit battery life. I would say the iPhone is slightly easier to use, however the Andriod phones are a lot more customisable.

It needs a nice home, where it'll be cared for, loved and appreciated. :D:wave:

Seriously, I am thinking of getting the Desire - what's so bad about it? (Apart from the fact it's not an i4, blah, blah!)

Think the screen is poor compared to...

The battery life is shockingly bad, worse than the...

App selection is worse than the...

No fault of the phone, I can't share my apps with her.

It drops connection all of the time during calls and rarely seems to be able to obtain a decent 3G signal

There's them with them who think they're great, like the bloke I'm meeting for a pre-match pint tomorrow. I just haven't been impressed at all.

Ask Carl what he reckons.

Really? I think both the iPhone and Desire have good screens?

No true.

Worse,wouldn't say so, just less crap apps. More free apps on Android,

True.

It drops connection all of the time during calls and rarely seems to be able to obtain a decent 3G signal

Most of the time HSPA is available, if not I have full bars on 3G? (Vodaphone)

Edited by coale39

All smartphones including the Iphone have a shit battery life. I would say the iPhone is slightly easier to use, however the Andriod phones are a lot more customisable.

We went to London the other week.

The kids played games on the phones, we took pictures and...by Hamleys...her Desire died (just when she was five floors away and we needed to coordinate lunch).

The iPhone was still taking pictures and playing Trivial Pursuit that night on the train back to Kettering.

I don't have a problem with battery life with the i4 running the latest iOS tbh.

There's them with them who think they're great, like the bloke I'm meeting for a pre-match pint tomorrow. I just haven't been impressed at all.

Ask Carl what he reckons.

Ah, you mean Carl's figured out how to work his properly, whereas you haven't because, well, it isn't based on a certain Mac-OS?! :whistle:

<stuff>

It's down to personal experience I guess - and hers on T-mobile has been bad for reception, net connection, call holding, battery life.

The apps: nothing beats the simplicity of iTunes in my experience - and the less tech-savvy user (which is almost everyone) simply doesn't bother to use the phone or hunt out apps if it isn't in an easy to use, point and click shop format. Fi ought to go to a store and try it out to see if she's comfortable with it, my wife isn't.

Ah, you mean Carl's figured out how to work his properly, whereas you haven't because, well, it isn't based on a certain Mac-OS?! :whistle:

lol

Err..hang on..bastard! <_<

It's down to personal experience I guess - and hers on T-mobile has been bad for reception, net connection, call holding, battery life.

The apps: nothing beats the simplicity of iTunes in my experience - and the less tech-savvy user (which is almost everyone) simply doesn't bother to use the phone or hunt out apps if it isn't in an easy to use, point and click shop format. Fi ought to go to a store and try it out to see if she's comfortable with it, my wife isn't.

lol

Err..hang on..bastard! <_<

So much potential for smutty innuendo. :whistle:

:innocent:

We went to London the other week.

The kids played games on the phones, we took pictures and...by Hamleys...her Desire died (just when she was five floors away and we needed to coordinate lunch).

The iPhone was still taking pictures and playing Trivial Pursuit that night on the train back to Kettering.

I don't have a problem with battery life with the i4 running the latest iOS tbh.

There's a couple of things she can do to improve the battery life. Fully discharging before fully charging is one of the best ways. And/Or she could buy this for £13 quid.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3000-MAH-EXTREME-BATTERY-%26-BACK-COVER-FOR-HTC-DESIRE-G7_W0QQitemZ150521962733QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=192997803510&rvr_id=192997803510&cguid=f2c38e481240a0e20513e8f3ff51d74a

The best thing about my Desire is that it costs me £22.50 a month. I've very little experience of Iphones but most of the reviews said there wasn't much to choose between them so I just plumped for the cheaper one.

I thought the connectivity was shit but it turned out that there were problems with Orange masts in the centre of Leicester, which appear to have been rectified now

I'd advise anyone to avoid the sony ericsson spiro like the plague. Decent mobile when it works, but i went through 5 in 3 weeks, all with different faults. Bad firmware on the model, Fones 4 U were excellent on solving it mind! :trumpet:

i know of somebody who is selling a black and sillver Nokia E 72 they found at the walkers today if anybody is interested in buying. good nick :thumbup:

Why didnt they return it to the owner? Its not hard to ring 'home' on the phonebook or hand it to lost and found.

I swear people are fu*king scumbags...

Edited by z-layrex

O2 have sent me a text today saying in January the VAT on my phone bill will be going up by 20%. Is this a change in the contract terms or not?

There's the headline price (say, £25 a month), but I think in the contract it will have the price without VAT included (so for a £25 contract it would be £21.28 + VAT). That way if VAT changes it doesn't change the terms of your contract, so they're in the clear. Sorry this reply's a bit late!

Thinking of getting a smartphone on a new contract with Vodafone - do people generally find that 500mb of data is enough? I'm not planning on using it that much, tbh. :dunno:

I think I use around 400mb on my iPhone, but that's using a lot of wifi too.

But conversely my friend has an Android phone and his Facebook status recently was "bugs, bugs, bugs... welcome to the world of Android phones". They're all shit in some way :D

The best thing about my Desire is that it costs me £22.50 a month. I've very little experience of Iphones but most of the reviews said there wasn't much to choose between them so I just plumped for the cheaper one.

I thought the connectivity was shit but it turned out that there were problems with Orange masts in the centre of Leicester, which appear to have been rectified now

Ultimately, I wouldn't have an iPhone if I had to pay full price for it. Luckily I get a £50 contract for £25. It's not worth £50, but I can stomach the lower price.

I'm quite happy with the iPhone 4, the (now fixed) New Year's alarm clock issue was a bit of a b*tch because I almost missed the coach going up to 'Ull.

If you're not relying too much on Roaming, the battery does last for two, if not three days after a full charge.

Can't complain, it does what I expect it to do - it works.

...it works without you having to buy a special case and it doesn't have any issues with alarms not working on New Years Day

:S

Are they the only legitimate gripes he could think of?

Everybody buys a case for their phone - it's a total non-issue, which has been corrected by firmware updates anyway. A malfunctioning alarm, eh? We ought to raise up arms and riot in the streets.

lol

As Alex said - it works and it's easy to use. There's no screen to beat it, there's no app store like it and it makes you look dead sexy. In fact, it makes me look so good that women strip and men go gay when I whip it out. Oh yes.