Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Libertine

Mobile Phone Thread

:S

Are they the only legitimate gripes he could think of?

Everybody buys a case for their phone - it's a total non-issue, which has been corrected by firmware updates anyway. A malfunctioning alarm, eh? We ought to raise up arms and riot in the streets.

lol

As Alex said - it works and it's easy to use. There's no screen to beat it, there's no app store like it and it makes you look dead sexy. In fact, it makes me look so good that women strip and men go gay when I whip it out. Oh yes.

What? Apple product actually just works and is easy to use? :o

I just wish the MacBook Pro was as cheap.

Don't know if this has been posted before, but Windows mobile phone users might want to have a look at their recent phone bills:

Microsoft investigates 'phantom' Windows Phone 7 data

_50728688_50728687.jpg

Microsoft boss Steve Ballmer has promised updates to the operating system soon

Microsoft has told BBC News that it is investigating why some handsets running its Windows Phone 7 software are sending and receiving "phantom data". Several net forums detail complaints from people that say their phones are automatically eating into their monthly data plans without their knowledge.

Some have complained that their phone sends "between 30 and 50MB of data" every day; an amount that would eat into a 1GB allowance in 20 days.

Most complainants are based in the US.

"I received an e-mail from AT&T saying that I was close to my 2GB data limit which truly shocked me as I feel I do not use data that much," a phone owner called Julie told Paul Thurrott's supersite for Windows.

"I went and looked at my AT&T account online and noticed that my phone was sending huge chunks of data seemingly in patterns."

Another said that they had noticed that the phone's "idle data usage is around 2-5MB per hour".

"This seems quite excessive to me - what exactly is being transferred? This even happens at night when I'm not getting any e-mails at all," they wrote on Howard Forums.

Some have speculated the problem may be related to the phones sending "feedback" to Microsoft about the software's performance or that the phones are using a 3G connection even when wi-fi is available.

"We are investigating this issue to determine the root cause and will update with information and guidance as it becomes available," said a Microsoft spokesperson.

Windows Phone 7 was launched in October 2010 to acclaim by manufacturers and users.

It is considered the company's first credible challenge to rival operating systems from Apple, Google, Research in Motion and Nokia.

At the recent Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, Microsoft boss Steve Ballmer said that the firm would soon release "a series of platform improvements" in response to users' feedback.

These will include copy and paste capabilities and performance improvements when loading or switching between applications.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-12152517

Edited by Alex.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a little late, but I've ordered the HTC EVO 4G and will have that either on Tuesday or Wednesday. I can't wait to take it out for a spin. Now that I'm the newest member of Team Android, I suppose I have to be a dick about Apple and 1) tell iPhone AT&T users their network sucks, and no, there's not an app for that and 2) use my EVO to take HD video of new iPhone Verizon subscribers gasping when they compare my monthly bill (yes, unlimited voice/SMS/data) compared to theirs. Oh, and then I'll make my old BlackBerry go die in a fire.

I'd advise anyone to avoid the sony ericsson spiro like the plague. Decent mobile when it works, but i went through 5 in 3 weeks, all with different faults. Bad firmware on the model, Fones 4 U were excellent on solving it mind! :trumpet:

An SE phone is either the best phone you will ever have or the worst, that company is so hit or miss drives me mad.

still super pleased with my motorola defy, the price was a bargain for its power and durability. Just wish they'd hurry up with the froyo update.

The motorola atrix is looking pretty good too.

An SE phone is either the best phone you will ever have or the worst, that company is so hit or miss drives me mad.

still super pleased with my motorola defy, the price was a bargain for its power and durability. Just wish they'd hurry up with the froyo update.

I had a long line of Motorola's from the Startax on wards - used to love the clam shell type style, made me feel like I was on the star ship enterprise (they should have added that sound when you opened it).

However, I always found Motorola seemed to be good at missing something obvious on their phones that really detracted from their phones. Have they done anything like that with yours?

Been looking at the Atrix a fair bit myself, only thing that puts me off Motorola is the Motoblur, is there anyway of switching it off?

I just don't see the appeal in being connected to the internet all day long :thumbup:

I had a long line of Motorola's from the Startax on wards - used to love the clam shell type style, made me feel like I was on the star ship enterprise (they should have added that sound when you opened it).

However, I always found Motorola seemed to be good at missing something obvious on their phones that really detracted from their phones. Have they done anything like that with yours?

I can't think of anything! The camera is very average, I miss the camera on my last SE. Its also quite small for my hands. its very compact despite the 3.7 screen.

Motoblur isn't great, but you can turn most of it off and use your own widgets if you don't like it.

Other than that very happy with it Had alot of drunken drops and not a mark on it.

• 2 months later...

Slowest Mobile Towns :

Milton Keynes - 1.73Mbps

Leicester - 2.01Mbps

Huddersfield - 2.17Mbps

Cardiff - 2.18Mbps

Liverpool - 2.21Mbps

Blackburn - 2.23Mbps

Stevenage - 2.23Mbps

Hull - 2.35Mbps

Stafford - 2.37Mbps

Birmingham - 2.43Mbps

Study was only done on iPhone's though, so data collected was only through Apple's handsets.

Peterborough (3.86Mbps) and Stoke are up at the top along with Carlisle and Eastbourne (all above 3.5Mbps). Reading and Dundee are in Top 10, too, with speeds over 3Mbps.

• 3 months later...

Well, Virgin Mobile what an absolute shambles of a network. 17.75 months of shit signal and poor service, albeit I should have done my homework.

Did this time and sorted a rolling 30 SIM elsewhere and they throw a spanner in the works by not providing a PAC code as asked, and now I have chased claiming it was never requested - meaning I have to pay for the next 30 days when they resend, even though contract is up on 15th.

Ultimate comedy error was some salesman calling touting other services, when his opening gambit of 'are you enjoying your mobile phone' was met with 'no, I'm supposed to be hearing back from you to cancel, but haven't. He then 'transfers' me to customer services to sort, 2 rings and the line goes dead.

Good riddance - steer well clear.

• 1 month later...

Ok, here's the dilemma... any advice would be much appreciated!

Currently with Vodafone and quite happy, however I'm going to be moving soon and there's no reception on Vodafone either inside or outside of the new house. Not tied to a contract, so could (and will have to) go elsewhere. My Mum's on T-mobile and gets a signal there but only by it swapping over to Orange (T-mobile and Orange now have some kinda deal where it roams onto whichever has the strongest reception). Looking at the (pretty much unreliable) coverage maps it looks like Orange is very good, T-mobile borderline (possibly outside, unlikely to get reception inside), 02 looks unlikely and Vodafone has no coverage.

So, Orange seems the obvious provider but I've never been a fan and I'm reluctant as their coverage elsewhere seems so patchy - plus they don't seem to have particularly good contract deals for around the £25/month mark. T-mobile, however, have some reasonable deals that include unlimited internet and it would mean I could get a nice, new shiny smartphone and, for a 2G connection, it would simply pick up Orange's signal.

Ok, but... IF I get a smartphone (and I'm pretty clueless about them, so be gentle with me!) with T-mobile it's highly unlikely I'll get 3G coverage with T-mobile at home and it won't roam to Orange for 3G. So how the heck would I get the mobile to connect to the internet to download apps and stuff? (Tbh, 95% of the time I'll just use the phone for calls and texts but it seems a bit daft to get a smartphone and not be able to use it for web at all at home). Would I simply get it to use my home broadband Wi-Fi? Or am I missing something obvious?

Also, choice of phones... for £25/month t-mobile are offering, free, amongst others the: SE Xperia Neo, Samsung Galaxy Ace and/or Gio, LG optimus Black, HTC Wildfire - any pros and cons for any/all of these. I'm leaning towards the Xperia Neo, but could be persuaded otherwise. Or do I pay an extra £90 to buy the HTC Desire HD (worth the money?), or £100 for the Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc?

Thanks. :smile:

Ok, here's the dilemma... any advice would be much appreciated!

Currently with Vodafone and quite happy, however I'm going to be moving soon and there's no reception on Vodafone either inside or outside of the new house. Not tied to a contract, so could (and will have to) go elsewhere. My Mum's on T-mobile and gets a signal there but only by it swapping over to Orange (T-mobile and Orange now have some kinda deal where it roams onto whichever has the strongest reception). Looking at the (pretty much unreliable) coverage maps it looks like Orange is very good, T-mobile borderline (possibly outside, unlikely to get reception inside), 02 looks unlikely and Vodafone has no coverage.

So, Orange seems the obvious provider but I've never been a fan and I'm reluctant as their coverage elsewhere seems so patchy - plus they don't seem to have particularly good contract deals for around the £25/month mark. T-mobile, however, have some reasonable deals that include unlimited internet and it would mean I could get a nice, new shiny smartphone and, for a 2G connection, it would simply pick up Orange's signal.

Ok, but... IF I get a smartphone (and I'm pretty clueless about them, so be gentle with me!) with T-mobile it's highly unlikely I'll get 3G coverage with T-mobile at home and it won't roam to Orange for 3G. So how the heck would I get the mobile to connect to the internet to download apps and stuff? (Tbh, 95% of the time I'll just use the phone for calls and texts but it seems a bit daft to get a smartphone and not be able to use it for web at all at home). Would I simply get it to use my home broadband Wi-Fi? Or am I missing something obvious?

Also, choice of phones... for £25/month t-mobile are offering, free, amongst others the: SE Xperia Neo, Samsung Galaxy Ace and/or Gio, LG optimus Black, HTC Wildfire - any pros and cons for any/all of these. I'm leaning towards the Xperia Neo, but could be persuaded otherwise. Or do I pay an extra £90 to buy the HTC Desire HD (worth the money?), or £100 for the Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc?

Thanks. :smile:

I've been with Orange for 11 years and they've always been alright, and coverage is OK but as with any network it depends on where you are. They don't seem to pull out the stops to attract new customers, but once you're with them, like with other companies, when your contract expires that's when they start offering you silly deals to try and keep hold of you. And you get Orange Wednesdays, if that's important to you.

Yes, in your situation you'd use your home wifi, which should be dead easy to set up. Probably 90 per cent of the web browsing I do on my phone is at home, even though Orange's 3g reception in Leicester has improved markedly in recent months.

The spec of the phones listed isn't super duper, but whether they're up to the job depends on what you're using them for. The HTC Wildfire, which is the only one I've got direct experience of, is fine for going on the internet and so forth but can struggle a bit with demanding apps (e.g. fancy games) because the processor is a bit slow and that will probably apply to the others in the same price bracket, but for most people they're fine.

I think the Xperia Arc is the one that's supposed to be one of the very best phones money can buy, but in all honesty the technology has reached the point where even the lower end phones are quite impressive so whether forking out extra cash for the latest all singing and dancing one is worth it probably depends on how much of it you have lying around! I've got an HTC Desire which is great (if a bit long in the tooth now), and the Desire HD is much the same but a bit on the massive side

I'm with Virgin now. was Ok to start with but just lately keep losing signal or being cut off when on internet. Dont use it to make calls much. Tried to email a pic to my NTL email address but the server disconnected or refused connection. Probably my settings though on NTL cos I cant send emails from outlook express on my laptop but can on my PC. I believe my Virgin mobile could be a cancel anytime contract but not certain. Also have a Three phone which I dont use now. Swapped sims with a Skype PAYG one. And I still have an Orange phone which I think is PAYG but dont use it.

Had one or two calls from sellers who are supposed to be from 3. Try to tell me I could save money by paying out £25 a month. compared to a PAYG. I say how if I only make half a dozen calles a month and as many texts. They say think how many calls you can make to friends and relatives you can make for free. Free? It costs £25 PM to make calls and annoy people I wouldnt normally call. So I now tell them I'm unemployed and my bank balance is in the red. The phone goes quiet for some reason.

I used e2save to get my current mobile phone. They have some fairly decent deals on most of the time. Especially if you are willing to pay a little for your handset. I have the Samsung Galaxy S2 and i love it. Does everything i need it for (Web/Photos/Videos/and the obvious Calls & Texts) and the app store is big! The phone and its uses arent as refined as the iphone but personally i think the newer Android software that is being released now with the latest phones is plenty quick enough for the general mobile user.

e2save T-Mobile offers

You can obviously use the bars at the side of the screen to alter your max monthly costs/usages etc....

Hope this helps! :thumbup:

Edit: Just seen on there that they have the HTC Desire HD up on a £25p/m contract with a handset price of £29.99?

Edited by stix9990

• 2 months later...

Thinking about getting the new iphone on the 3 network. Heard a while back it isn't that great but im so tempted cuz it's the cheapest network. Is it really that bad? Anyone got a phone on 3?

Yeah I got one on 3 and never had any problems with the network. And I get shed loads of minutes, unlimited texts, and unlimited internet all for 35 quid a month. I'd never go back to O2.

• 1 year later...

Daughters phone contract is Kaputt

Blackberry 8520

Tis of no use to moi

2 years old

Good condition

All bits and bobs included

Best site for selling it is?

eBay ?

Or go to www.sellmymobile.com

Type the phone model in and you'll get a list of sites that will buy the phone :)