Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Libertine

Mobile Phone Thread

I'm on an iphone 5, and it does the job well enough. Quick, nice screen, decent camera and the usual mountain of Apps available. I am out of contract but I will wait for the next iPhone which is rumoured to have 5.7 or 6 inch screen and other shit. Cant be bothered changing to Android or whatnot.

Same here Jon

I'm on an iphone 5, and it does the job well enough. Quick, nice screen, decent camera and the usual mountain of Apps available. I am out of contract but I will wait for the next iPhone which is rumoured to have 5.7 or 6 inch screen and other shit. Cant be bothered changing to Android or whatnot.

This seems quite a common attitude among former Apple fanbois. They're just about ready to accept that Apple products aren't and have never been any better than any other brands. But they're not quite ready to admit they've been duped out of thousands by some show pony with a smooth tounge, so it's all "oh I can't be bothered to change now, I can afford it, meh" lol

Longer support cycle. The G2 will get one or two updates over the next year and a half. The Nexus will get all the android updates over the next few years.

Also, the nexus off contract will be much cheaper which is the best way to buy phones. Saves loads of money in the long run.

Only £20 difference on Amazon, and I can't really afford £300 odd in one go right now anyway.

This seems quite a common attitude among former Apple fanbois. They're just about ready to accept that Apple products aren't and have never been any better than any other brands. But they're not quite ready to admit they've been duped out of thousands by some show pony with a smooth tounge, so it's all "oh I can't be bothered to change now, I can afford it, meh" lol

Yeah that's it. Let's ignore the fact that apple created the smartphone and tablet market as we know them because other less innovative companies successfully ripped them off. Edited by Jon the Hat

Yeah that's it. Let's ignore the fact that apple created the smartphone and tablet market as we know them because other less innovative companies successfully ripped them off.

Get out. Modern smartphones are just the natural succession of PDAs. Numerous manufacturers were making early smartphones long before the iPhone. The IBM Simon was probably the first touchscreen smartphone and that was released in 1994. Dozens of smartphones were released between then and the 2007 release of the iPhone. Of course Steve Jobs told you it was revolutionary and you believed him, but that doesn't make it true.

Edited by MooseBreath
  • Like 1

The idea caught on though. HTC, Ericsson and Nokia were all making smartphones in the years that followed and they sold well, albeit mainly to business people. Then mobile internet became more viable and naturally smartphones crossed over to mainstream use. The iPhone popularised smartphones due to how well they sold, but it wasn't a new market nor new technology. Apple just copied what others were already doing, put a premium price tag on it and duped the gullible and the image concious into thinking they were buying something new.

• Like 1

Only £20 difference on Amazon, and I can't really afford £300 odd in one go right now anyway.

Yeah, as soon as I posted I read an article that the off contract G25 was now only GBP50 difference.

The off contract prices are a pain to pay up front. I'd still go with the Nexus for more regular updates. But the G2 is a fine phone too (although I am not convinced about the utility of the rear buttons).

The idea caught on though. HTC, Ericsson and Nokia were all making smartphones in the years that followed and they sold well, albeit mainly to business people. Then mobile internet became more viable and naturally smartphones crossed over to mainstream use. The iPhone popularised smartphones due to how well they sold, but it wasn't a new market nor new technology. Apple just copied what others were already doing, put a premium price tag on it and duped the gullible and the image concious into thinking they were buying something new.

Totally agree with this. I've had a lot of phones that had 'smartphone' functionality, web, email, native apps. 

Even the idea of third party apps was not new.

My SIM only deal with Orange ends today.  Been offered a slightly better deal for another SIM only but with Orange you get charged for accessing voicemail which is a bit tight, and although I could probably manage without it, I'd rather not turn it off.

If I have a new handset (which I'm not that arsed about) I don't have to pay for voicemail.  Having been with them continuously for nearly 14 years I was a bit disappointed to only be offered a deal that anyone can have, particularly after selecting the 'thinking of f***ing off?' option when I rang them up.

As usual I'm not sure what to do and it's becoming a bit of a ball ache.  I'm not even that into phones

• 1 month later...

Been looking a bit at importing a Chinese phone recently, some of them have an incredible spec for the price

http://www.zopomobileshop.com/en/198-zopo-zp998-mt6592-2gb-ram-32gb-rom-55inch-ips-fhd-14-mp-camera-android-phone.html

Apparently Zopo is one of the more reputable makes, and you can get this phone (with a similar spec to the Galaxy Note 3) for £200 delivered. Has anyone had experience with anything like this?

Been looking a bit at importing a Chinese phone recently, some of them have an incredible spec for the price

http://www.zopomobileshop.com/en/198-zopo-zp998-mt6592-2gb-ram-32gb-rom-55inch-ips-fhd-14-mp-camera-android-phone.html

Apparently Zopo is one of the more reputable makes, and you can get this phone (with a similar spec to the Galaxy Note 3) for £200 delivered. Has anyone had experience with anything like this?

The trouble you will find is people want brands, phones are a status symbol as much as anything else and these will fall short.

• 1 month later...

Prepaid / Pay as you go SIM card?

I've got a spare phone with an 02 SIM card in it which I want to replace with a 3G EE/Orange one.

With the 02 SIM I only have to top it up once I run out of money on it, when I've searched for a replacement they all seem to require to be topped up by a minimum of £10 a month which I do not want to do.

What type of SIM should i be looking for or can someone direct me to one - thanks

PS I've searched the web but can't find what i want so I assume I'm searching for the wrong SIM.

Giffgaff Dave, I think they are the best pay as you go network. I'm not sure but I think the minimum is £5.

Thanks for the reply but I want to get an Orange one for other reasons I'm just not sure what the one I want is called, I don't want one where you have to top it up every month.

Has anyone else ever had audio playback problems with their Samsung Galaxy S3?

Whenever I'm playing music, it gets cut out for a second or 2 and it's so intermittent I can't tell when it might happen while the music is playing. Happens any time of the day though. I have an app-killer which runs as well so I don't think it could be because of apps running in the background. Restarting my phone doesn't work. 

Playback is affected through headphones, bluetooth or just through the phone. 

What I don't understand though is when I play music through Spotify, it's smooth and doesn't cut out at all. 

Any ideas?

Whenever I'm playing music, it gets cut out for a second or 2 and it's so intermittent I can't tell when it might happen while the music is playing. Happens any time of the day though. I have an app-killer which runs as well so I don't think it could be because of apps running in the background. Restarting my phone doesn't work.

What I don't understand though is when I play music through Spotify, it's smooth and doesn't cut out at all.

Any ideas?

I have a similar problem with mine when playing stored music, like the cd is skipping or the headphones are broken. Fine on radio no idea what causes it.

What app killer do you have? Looking for a good one.

I have a similar problem with mine when playing stored music, like the cd is skipping or the headphones are broken. Fine on radio no idea what causes it.

What app killer do you have? Looking for a good one.

Yeah when I'm watching videos and listening to radio is fine.

Might try taking all my music off my phone and upload it again. 

I've got Advanced Task Killer Free. Works fine for me :)

Any ideas?

Are you sure it's not the app killer affecting it?

Whose network does giffgaff piggyback on?

O2

• Like 1

• 5 months later...