Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Libertine

Mobile Phone Thread

Just got the Motorola Milestone on contract with orange.

100mins, unlimited texts and internet for £20 a month.

Seems alright so far. Impressed with all the apps on the android market.

How is it? I have had many Motorola's, mainly because I liked the flip nature of their phones, but found they always seemed to miss out a stupidly obvious detail (for example, the Startax didn't allow you to use the phonebook to send a text message, meaning you needed to know the number by memory or write it down (or reply if you had received one).

That kinda deal happens more during upgrading, I've had 2 iPhone contracts and o2 never seem at all willing to budge on pricing for the iPhone.

Did you shop around? I'm not particularly fussed with network I chose to be honest, gonna have a look around on Friday and see what I can find. Note down the best ones and then see what I can do. I hate phone shops, as soon as you walk in you get swamped.

How is it? I have had many Motorola's, mainly because I liked the flip nature of their phones, but found they always seemed to miss out a stupidly obvious detail (for example, the Startax didn't allow you to use the phonebook to send a text message, meaning you needed to know the number by memory or write it down (or reply if you had received one).

So far so good.

Only major thing that's bugged me is the battery life which can run out in the space of a few hours if you play about with it too much.

Other than that I like the phone and would recommend it.

I was wondering if anybody can answer this question for me...

I've just got a £6 a month contract from Tesco for my mobile and it is for unlimited texts and 100 mins. I then read that it has a fair use policy and it it says:

http://www.tesco.com/mobilenetwork/content.aspx?page=108

12.9 We will impose a maximum limit on your account which will be reached if your chargeable calls are equal to or exceed:

a) £500 for iPhone 24 month contracts

b) £250 for iPhone 12 month contracts

c) £30 for £6 SIM only tariff; and

I don't really know what this all means but does it mean that i cannot spend more than £30 worth of texts? because if it does that is 300 texts and obviously not unlimited....

If i am totally off the mark does anybody know anything about the fair use policy?

sorry if i sound like a dick and got this totally wrong, you're help would be appreciated :)

Edited by Watson

So far so good.

Only major thing that's bugged me is the battery life which can run out in the space of a few hours if you play about with it too much.

Other than that I like the phone and would recommend it.

That sounds about right -almost brilliant, but failed by one or two simple oversights, I don't know how Motorola consistantly do it!

I was wondering if anybody can answer this question for me...

I've just got a £6 a month contract from Tesco for my mobile and it is for unlimited texts and 100 mins. I then read that it has a fair use policy and it it says:

http://www.tesco.com/mobilenetwork/content.aspx?page=108

12.9 We will impose a maximum limit on your account which will be reached if your chargeable calls are equal to or exceed:

a) £500 for iPhone 24 month contracts

b) £250 for iPhone 12 month contracts

c) £30 for £6 SIM only tariff; and

I don't really know what this all means but does it mean that i cannot spend more than £30 worth of texts? because if it does that is 300 texts and obviously not unlimited....

If i am totally off the mark does anybody know anything about the fair use policy?

sorry if i sound like a dick and got this totally wrong, you're help would be appreciated :)

I think that a lot of the time contracts are a bit too complicated to understand, they seem to set out to confuse everyone. Think what you have put is correct, just means that they dont want you spending more than that £6, though why they cant write it simpler and make it a bit clearer I dont know.

Edited by peterborofox

Really tempted by the iPhone. Is it as good as people say? I currently have a 30 day rolling contract with O2. I pay £20 a month for 600 minutes any time any network and unlimited texts. I don't have phone insurance, but would do if I got an iPhone, is that expensive?

I don't get free internet or any other perks. I see people going on facebook, sport and youtube all the time with the iPhone, not to mention the gazillion other apps they have. What sort of contract terms and conditions (price and contract length) are the norm for a phone like this?

Cheers

I think that a lot of the time contracts are a bit too complicated to understand, they seem to set out to confuse everyone. Think what you have put is correct, just means that they dont want you spending more than that £6, though why they cant write it simpler and make it a bit clearer I dont know.

Just been looking again and i think that the information i put here is nothing to do with texts i hope. Think that fair use policy is just like if i'm sending thousands a week. I'll be pissed if i'm wrong because i've probably spent over £30 worth of texts already :giggle:

Getting the N8 for free within the next few days and ready for when I get back to the UK! Got it completely free without a contract at all! The joys of being a valued customer...!

How the hell did you swing that? What network?

I've been gagging for the N8 for months now. I love Android but it's just way too un-practical, every single Android phone has a disgusting battery life so what's the point?

The N8, while only Symbian^3, has:

-Beautiful screen

-Gorgeous video playback

-Supports DivX

-FM Transmitter

-Free GPS navigation

-Decent battery life

-The amazing camera

-Affordable!

-Very well built

-There is something magical about Nokia.

Just seem like the perfect phone for me. Hopefully get it in Oct. By the way I doubt you'll be getting it within the next few days, they just delayed it till mid-oct:

"The amount of preorders has exceeded our expectations and we are working hard to deliver the Nokia N8 to the market. In some markets, we had planned to start delivering the Nokia N8s to our pre-order customers by the end of September. To ensure a great user experience, we have decided to hold the shipments for a few weeks to do some final amends. We're thrilled with the response that we've had to the Nokia N8 and assure everyone who've pre-ordered it already that it'll be worth the wait! We expect consumers to get their Nokia N8s during October."

• 4 weeks later...

looking at getting the Iphone 4 or the nokia N8.

O2 and vodaphone have the best deals on them, anyone been with either company? what are they like to be with?

I'm with O2 at the moment, and have been for about 2 years. Never had a problem at all. Maybe i'm a lucky one lol.

Still loving my i900 omnia. Am considering getting a new contract, which i assume will offer me a freebie phone, but im happy with what ive got... anyone have any sugestions as to the best sim only contracts?

O2 do a decent Simplicity one, £15 for a 12 year sim-only contract. unlimited texts, 600 mins, 500mb data. Unlimited o2 to o2 calls.

Three do really good ones too, but obviously an inferior network coverage-wise.

Edited by z-layrex

O2 do a decent Simplicity one, £15 for a 12 year sim-only contract. unlimited texts, 600 mins, 500mb data. Unlimited o2 to o2 calls.

Three do really good ones too, but obviously an inferior network coverage-wise.

Cheers... on 3 at the moment... and havent had too much problem with coverage... may stick with them :)

My phone's died.

It still shows the LG screen when I try to charge it / turn it on, but won't actually do anything else. Has anyone had anything similar happen? Am I entitled to a replacement? I'm on a contract, got the phone from the Carphone Warehouse just over a year ago.

Any input would be appreciated.

Edited by Michael The Work Geordie

looking at getting the Iphone 4 or the nokia N8.

O2 and vodaphone have the best deals on them, anyone been with either company? what are they like to be with?

I personally wouldn't get a Nokia again. I have had no end of trouble with my N97, it's the worst phone I've ever had - constantly crashing.

There aren't that many apps either for the Nokia on OVI store, and the apps that look half decent are foreign.

I don't think you can beat iPhone for apps, I would go for that if I were you.

Also, Orange and T-Mobile have merged offering the biggest network coverage out there, they are called Everything, Everywhere Ltd