Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Decriminalising drug use, Good or Bad Idea?

From the BBC

Policymakers should consider allowing the licensed sale of cannabis for recreational use, says one of the UK's leading researchers of the drug.

Professor Roger Pertwee is to make the call in a speech at the British Science Association festival in Birmingham.

He is expected to say radical solutions have to be considered because he believes the current policy of criminalising cannabis is ineffective.

But the government insists decriminalisation would not work.

The dismissal last year of Professor David Nutt as the previous government's leading drugs adviser showed it was in no mood to consider relaxing the status of cannabis as an illegal class B drug.

It is a view shared by the current government, but Prof Pertwee, an expert on cannabis-like chemicals, is to tell scientists that he, like Professor Nutt, believes it is a policy that is doing more harm than good.

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote

Ideally, recreational cannabis would be banned but that's not going to happen”

Professor Roger PertweeAberdeen University"I'm talking about harm minimisation," he told BBC News.

"At the moment there is an awful lot of harm caused by what we have at the moment, with children going to a drug dealer or they try and grow it themselves and then they get into trouble with the law."

The University of Aberdeen researcher added: "And by dealing with criminals they may well go on to other drugs as well".

Instead, Prof Pertwee argues, one option policymakers should consider is the setting up of a committee to license the sale of recreational cannabis.

"You would have to think about licensing a suitable supplier and have retail outlets and the next step would be to have marketable, branded products that someone wants to use. At the same time it's got to be as safe as possible," he explained.

Prof Pertwee said licensed products should not be sold in cigarette form - so called "joints".

Avoiding harmManufacturers should instead develop products that avoid lung damage.

One delivery mechanism he said should be considered is known among drug users as a "volcano", which heats cannabis to produce a vapour without burning it.

This avoids the burnt products of cannabis that are carcinogenic.

These products should be withheld from high risk groups, he said, especially young people under the age of 21.

Successive governments have resisted efforts to decriminalise cannabis for recreational use.

Even the change in classification for the drug from "B" to the supposedly less harmful class "C" made by the then Home Secretary David Blunkett in 2002 was reversed in 2009.

So how does Professor Pertwee respond to the suggestion that what he is asking for is politically unrealistic?

He said: "What's the alternative?"

"Ideally, recreational cannabis would be banned but that's not going to happen so we're now in a situation where there is quite a lot of harm done by recreational cannabis and what we've got to do is think about a way of reducing that harm".

A Home Office spokesman said: "There is clear evidence that cannabis is a harmful drug which can cause damage to mental health in the immediate and longer term.

"Even the occasional use of cannabis can be dangerous for people with diseases of the circulatory system.

"The government does not believe that decriminalisation of cannabis is the right approach. Our priorities are clear: we want to reduce drug use, crack down on drug-related crime and disorder and help addicts come off drugs for good."

• 1 month later...

From the Merc

A drug user died after taking heroin contaminated with anthrax, health officials revealed this morning.

Thomas Forbes, 29, of Loughborough is the fourth heroin user in England to die after taking a dose of the drug which had somehow become contaminated with anthrax.

Mr Forbes, who is also known as Tom, died in hospital last Thursday.

Tests later detected the presence of anthrax in his system.

The first case in England was reported in London in February this year. However anthrax-contaminated heroin has been blamed for 13 deaths in Scotland since last December.

The Health Protection Agency (HPA) and NHS Leicestershire County and Rutland today urged all heroin users to stop taking the drug and to seek treatment immediately.

They have also said there is no risk to people who do not take the drug.

Tim Davies, deputy director of public health at NHS Leicestershire County and Rutland, said: "While public health investigations are ongoing, it must be assumed that all heroin in Leicestershire carries the risk of anthrax contamination.

"I urge all heroin users to be extremely alert to the risks and to seek urgent medical advice if they experience signs of infection such as redness or excessive swelling at or near an injection site, or other symptoms of general illness such a high temperature, chills or a severe headache or breathing difficulties, as early antibiotic treatment can be lifesaving.

Leicestershire police has launched an investigation into the death.

Four Loughborough men, aged 24, 31, 35 and 37, have been arrested in connection with the incident but have been released on police bail pending further inquiries.

This is unfortunately becoming common.

One explanation might be that if a person or group had lot's of a different type of drug to sell, say Crack Cocaine for instance, a method of supplying the target audience locally, might be to ensure they did not wish to take their drug of choice eg heroin. If heroin is unsafe often rock, although being from a different group of substances is often a popular substitute among users.

Prescribing uncontaminated diamorphine might prevent this type of criminality.

It would also save on hospital care and cut the need for users to procure monies and goods by offending prolifically saving a fortune in criminal justice costs - it's the contamiates that kill users - very rarely the heroin.

Unfortunately though it's just ideology. There are two main points to consider: 1. Any government which makes a decision like this loses the following election - we are ruled by the media. 2. Government might be unlikely to make such a decision because the illicit substance trade provides massive employment / industry and social control opportunities - it's a decesion which would de-stabalise an economy nevermind what the price in care and crime currently runs to.

N.

The whole idea of decriminalising anything (or vice versa, for instance, outlawing alcohol) smacks of desperation.

It's giving up isn't it? It's saying, "well we can't catch everyone, not even most, so why bother?" With decriminalisation surely use would increase (and would we then have the same problems with marijuana etc as we have with alcohol - surely it is only the mass-consumption and over-use of alcohol that is bad? Many, many studies have pointed to the benefits of a drink now and again), and the criminal element of supply would concentrate its effort even more on harder drugs, they won't become legit - that's not where the money is. If you move the goalposts in these matters, it doesn't put it in line with the touchline, that will move further away, you will always be chasing it.

And the flipside of criminalising alcohol, as some have suggested is just the same, it's giving up. "Well we can't educate people to drink sensibly, so we'll stop them altogether!" Suuuuure! Let's apply the same psychology to adults that we do to 5 year olds - if you can't play together nicely, then you won't play at all! And that worked so well in prohibition USA!

All this can be summed up in two words.

Moderation.

Education.

We need to de-sexify drugs and alcohol!! Pop stars, media, famous cooonts, movies in general give a sexy image of drink and drugs lifestyle!!!

Good point. It would seem that the desexifying (to some extent) of cigarettes has lessened their use, why shouldn't the same apply?

• 6 months later...

It's about time that this was resurrected anyway, and just listen to what folk are saying!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13624303

It's already been noted, not unfairly, that this is a bit hypocritical, what with it being ex-leaders rather than those currently in power, but I think this is just further evidence that the main barrier to anything being done is it's such a massive about turn politiically, and politicians are nervous about being honest with the electorate.

On the same theme, I read recently in a book (yeah, a book, look at me) and amongst all the words and stuff it was detailed about how the illegal trade in heroin in the UK started, and you can trace the modern problem pretty much back to when the government decided that it was inappropriate for doctors to be prescribing opiates to their patients, even though it was just a few jazz cats that weren't actually causing any problems at all. As soon as they did that, a black market sprung up in London and to raise funds the jazz cats started selling it to their mates, and before you know it, here we are. Was that in Flat Earth News?

Anyway, I thought it was dead interesting and I'm keen to learn more

I read somewhere that the Dutch authorities have made it illegal for tourists to buy and smoke weed etc in the cafes in Amsterdam. It's now locals only.

I read somewhere that the Dutch authorities have made it illegal for tourists to buy and smoke weed etc in the cafes in Amsterdam. It's now locals only.

I'm sure you're right, not sure if it's effective yet.

It's probably just to cut down on the numbers of tiresome stoners wandering about

They were proposing it i don't think it has been accepted. There was also talk that they were going to close all the 'coffee shops' all together as well.

It's one of the main attractions of Amsterdam and the lost in tourist money would be a travesity. I for one loved it and wont to go back but wont be heading back if i can't visit a 'coffee shop'

Archived