Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jay

2010 - your year in music

Best individual track of 2010: Crystal Castles - Baptism (If I still went to clubs, that would be my friggin anthem!)

Your favourite debut album of the year: Broken Bells - Broken Bells (The Shins with a twist, I love it!)

Album of the Year: Yeasayer - Odd Blood (Interesting, playful and full of surprises - wish they were better live!)

Best gig attended: Gogol Bordello - Vega/Copenhagen (They have a live reputation for a reason!)

Disappointment of the year: Burial, where are you? (Burial's Untrue album is among the most brilliant things ever, and I need a new fix!)

Surprise of the year: Magnetic Man and the whole dubstep meets mainstream thing (I really like it though!)

Artist of the year: Crystal Castles (For improving on their debut, having one of the most intense live gigs around and staying true to themselves!)

Your tip for 2011: Danish band Treefight for Sunlight have been signed up by Bella Union and might have a tiny indie breakthrough with their Beach Boys inspired music.

Surprise of the year: Magnetic Man and the whole dubstep meets mainstream thing (I really like it though!)

Really, I thought the album was quite a dissapointment apart from a couple of tracks, and most of the Dubstep creeping into the Mainstream is pretty generic and lame sounding. Cant wait for Burials next album though

Really, I thought the album was quite a dissapointment apart from a couple of tracks, and most of the Dubstep creeping into the Mainstream is pretty generic and lame sounding. Cant wait for Burials next album though

Burial really needs to stop all the side projects and give us his next full length.

About Magnetic Man.I enjoyed their album for the most part. The surprise was going around in my kitchen this summer and then some random radio DJ announcing Benga and Skreams new project Magnetic Man followed by hearing I Need Air for the first time. That was my most twisted eyebrows moment in music this year. My wording was a bit off with the last bit, what I mean with dubstep meeting mainstream is more to do with the pioneers of dubstep suddenly having a more mainstream approach with their music. How other more mainstream music is affected by dubstep, I really don't know.

Burial really needs to stop all the side projects and give us his next full length.

About Magnetic Man.I enjoyed their album for the most part. The surprise was going around in my kitchen this summer and then some random radio DJ announcing Benga and Skreams new project Magnetic Man followed by hearing I Need Air for the first time. That was my most twisted eyebrows moment in music this year. My wording was a bit off with the last bit, what I mean with dubstep meeting mainstream is more to do with the pioneers of dubstep suddenly having a more mainstream approach with their music. How other more mainstream music is affected by dubstep, I really don't know.

Ahh I get you. Skreams album this year was very good too, pretty good year for him.

Best individual track of 2010 - Im normally good at these lists but ive really not had as much new music exposure this year. Theres been loads of singles i've played over and over though - Drunk Girls - LCD Soundsystem, Let's Go Surfing - The Drums, Counterpoint - Delphic, Schoolin' - Everything Everything, This Orient - Foals, Radar Detector - Darwin Deez. Sorry thats more of a top 10.

Your favourite debut album of the year - Sleigh Bells - Treats, Darwin Deez - Darwin Deez or Two Door Cinema Club - Tourist History

Album of the Year - - . LCD Soundsystem - This Is Happening or Foals - Total Life Forever

Best gig attended - I've not been to many but the one i remember most/least was Florence and Pigeon Detectives

Disappointment of the year - These New Puritans album getting top spot in the NME's album of the year. I did not like it at all..

Surprise of the year - Liking the new Biffy Clyro album and the new MCR single. Oh and the Crystal Castles/Robert Smith single - lovely suprise.

Artist of the year - Laura Marling or Foals

Your tip for 2011 -Cults or Mona (Is The Vaccines too obvious?)

Im normally more decisive. Or am I?

Best Individual Track of 2010 - Ellie Goulding - The Writer or 30 Seconds to Mars - Closer to the Edge

Faveourite Debut Album - Young Guns - All Our Kings Are Dead

Album of the Year - Kids in Glass Houses - DIRT or My Chemical Romance - Danger Days

Best Gig Attended - 30 Seconds To Mars/Enter Shikari at O2, November 30th.

Disappointment of the Year - Lostprophets. Their album was released in January, and although I started out liking it, it wasn't long before I got a bit bored of it. I only listen to about 2 or 3 tracks off the album at most now.

Surprise of the year - My Chemical Romance - I genuinely thought that their latest album, after such a long break (4 years I think) that it would be a massive flop, especially after all the hype it got. But I've been proved wrong and their new album is delightful to listen to. Some great tracks on it. Same goes for Nicki Minaj; I started off despising her, came across one track and loved it. Then listened to the whole album and it's grown on me a lot.

Artist of the Year - 30 Seconds To Mars, Young Guns or Tinie Tempah

Tip for 2011 - You And What Army or Funeral Party.

Best individual track of 2010 EMIKA - Edward Maya & Vika Jigulina - Stereo Love (heard this song about 5 times a night clubbing around Europe )

Your favourite debut album of the year. Gypsy and the cat - Gilgamesh

Album of the Year Two Door Cinema club - Tourist History

Best gig attended Powderfinger - Kingsmead Stadium Durban South Africa or Phoenix / Miami Horror in Melbourne

disappointment of the year Would probably have to say Kings of Leons new album is a let down

surprise of the year Operator please going from kids to a grown up band

artist of the year Foals

your tip for 2011 The Jezables or Naked and Famous

I liked the direction TNP took, We Want War was an absolute monster of a track.

Never got into it. I'm not sure i gave it much of a chance though if im honest. I just loved the first album so much it disapointed i think.

I should also shoutout to James Blake - Limit To Your Love (which is on at the moment drowning out the washing machine and the hoover). Monster track of the year. And The XX album as well (bit obvious though)

Sorry for not naming shit indie bands i've never heard of and never will :/

There's no such thing as indie, not really. It's just a term that people use to either exclude others or themselves from something that's different. Properly indie music can be as much rap or R&B as a guitar band. As a genre of music, indie is a bit of an urban myth.

There's no such thing as indie, not really. It's just a term that people use to either exclude others or themselves from something that's different. Properly indie music can be as much rap or R&B as a guitar band. As a genre of music, indie is a bit of an urban myth.

I totally disagree with what you just said.

Whether or not indie is a term you judge to be related to exclusion, I'd argue that the term has been banded about so much in the past few years referring to many bands of a similar sound that the vein it has been used in recently, however false you may determine it to be, is what indie is, according to the present.

Music is all about opinions but if you're going to try and be definitive about it then at least go with what could be seen as a more commonly held view of what "proper" *insert genre here* is.

Never got into it. I'm not sure i gave it much of a chance though if im honest. I just loved the first album so much it disapointed i think.

I should also shoutout to James Blake - Limit To Your Love (which is on at the moment drowning out the washing machine and the hoover). Monster track of the year. And The XX album as well (bit obvious though)

Didn't The XX album come out mid 2009?

Just stumbled across these man, thought it was you that suggested them on here.

I've had Time To Wonder on repeat for a good while now. Very infectious.

Lovely Work Loveday and yeah would of been, you need to check out the album it's quility. Best tracks are Gilgamesh, Time to Wander, The piper song and Joan of Arc.

Best individual track of 2010: Beach House - Walk In The Park

Your favourite debut album of the year: Sleigh Bells - Treats

Album of the year: Sleigh Bells - Treats

Best gig attended: Iggy and The Stooges at Hammersmith Apollo

Disappointment of the year: Dead Weather - Sea of Cowards (this probably has more to do with wishing Jack White would just get on with doing the White Stripes again more than anything else...)

Surprise of the year: Steve Mason - Boys Outside

Artist of the year: Beach House

Your tip for 2011: Australia / London's Allo Darlin' hopefully...

Archived