Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
rico

Stone Roses Reunion?

One of the most eagerly anticipated reunions in rock music looks to be on the cards after rumours grew that the Stone Roses are getting back together.

The Mancunian band, who fell apart in 1996 after legal wrangles and internal rows, are expected to announce a comeback tour at a press conference on Tuesday.

Their self-titled first album, released in 1989, is widely seen as one of the greatest debuts of all time.

Invitations have been sent out to journalists for "a special press conference for a very important announcement" at a Soho hotel on Tuesday.

A spokesman for Murray Chalmers PR, which is handling the event, declined to comment on the nature of the press conference.

Guitarist John Squire quit in 1995 and although the band limped on with a replacement, the group split after a disastrous performance at Reading Festival in 1996.

Singer Ian Brown enjoyed some success as a solo star, bass player Mani joined Primal Scream and Squire charted with his band The Seahorses before pursuing an art career. The band's drummer Reni has slipped out of the limelight since the band ended.

Squire, whose distinctive artwork graced many of their record covers, has regularly refuted suggestions they might reform.

He once created a metallic artwork decorated with the phrase "I have no desire whatsoever to desecrate the grave of seminal Manchester pop group The Stone Roses" and displayed it on his website. "I'd rather live my life than attempt to rehash it," he said later. "Even if Ian and I were still double dating as we did in our teens then the prospect of a reunion wouldn't interest me at all.

A spokesman for Murray Chalmers PR said: "We have never said which artist is having the press conference nor what will be discussed there."

Really don't get the fuss about the stone roses - debut was very good, but other than that it was all a little bit shit.

Agreed, I do love the 1st album but I do find their fantastic rep slightly odd as theres hardly a great catalogue of work and although I like some of Ian Browns stuff he never was a very good live performer.

If it's just a few re-union gigs - similar to Blur a few years back (who smashed it apparently) I can't see what harm it'd do. They'll have a whole generation of fans that weren't around during the whole Hacienda / Madchester movement (me included) that'd kill to see This Is The One or Made Of Stone live.

Not too sure if I'd be so keen on them doing more recorded material, though.

Agreed, I do love the 1st album but I do find their fantastic rep slightly odd as theres hardly a great catalogue of work and although I like some of Ian Browns stuff he never was a very good live performer.

Ian Brown can be hit and miss live. I'm lucky enough to have seen him on top form. He was fantastic.

Wouldn't mind heading to one "mega-event" in my life, perhaps this could be it.

No mention of tickets yet though, if it involves having to actually queue somewhere or sitting at my computer staring at a ticket website for hours then I shan't bother...

4 for the Saturday - without having to phone up. Sorted :cool:

Was that through Ticketmaster?

I've just got 3 for my son for Friday, took over 1.5 hours with the site crashing every few minutes. 5 times I got within 1 minute of purchasing and each time it crashed out saying System Unavailable, the most frustrating online purchase of anything I've ever bought.

I've just got 3 for my son for Friday, took over 1.5 hours with the site crashing every few minutes. 5 times I got within 1 minute of purchasing and each time it crashed out saying System Unavailable, the most frustrating online purchase of anything I've ever bought.

You've never tried buying city tickets then?

It's always like this with hot tickets, been through it times.

Sitting on my computer with about 20 windows open on my browser praying one will work!!

Archived