Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ozwin

Any protein shake drinkers on here?

I don't really know what I'm buying, basically I've been told Impact Whey is the best to go for and myprotein.co.uk is the best (apparently there's codes I can use if anyone wants to hit me up) but I'm not sure what I should buy.

Basically I want to put on weight, nothing major but I'd like to fill out a bit, that's probably the gayest thing I'll ever say. I do find it hard to eat a lot though, I'll probably have 3 proper meals a day (brekkie, lunch and dinner) and I'll snack in between so I've been stuck around the 10 and a half stone mark for about a year.

I'll obviously drink the shake about 3 times a day and after a workout, no problems. I just want to know what's the best thing to buy in my situation.

Impact Whey

Impact Whey Deluxe

Hard Gainer

For the whey I go for Phd and then get everything else unflavoured from myprotein.

You wouldn't need 3 whey shakes a day, probably just one before a workout and one after, anymore would be overkill and you need different varieties of protein to get the most from it.

Weight gaining, I'm not sure about supplements as I've never used them. But make sure you're eating alot of calories to compensate for exercise and extra on top of that, peanut butter is good for that.

5kg impact whey, unflavoured.. then use flavourings (liquid form the site) or milkshake powder..

dont need to buy just one flavour then and can mix it..

instant oats are good to add in teh shake also..

peanut butter (50p jar tesco) these are a great cheap addition to snack on..

milk (£1.. 4 pint?? ) drink 1- 2 these a day youl soon pile it on..

See this is where I always get stuck, people say different things and in the end I just can't be arsed with the faffing about. The amount of times I've been meaning to start using them is crazy. I've been told 2 or 3 shakes a day is what I should go for and because I don't eat a lot I reckon it's a good way of getting protein and adding a bit of weight. Unless it's going to kill me I'm going to do it I reckon.

See this is where I always get stuck, people say different things and in the end I just can't be arsed with the faffing about. The amount of times I've been meaning to start using them is crazy. I've been told 2 or 3 shakes a day is what I should go for and because I don't eat a lot I reckon it's a good way of getting protein and adding a bit of weight. Unless it's going to kill me I'm going to do it I reckon.

If you're taking a weight gaining supplement then you might need the three shakes a day, but if you're taking just whey, 3 shakes won't do anything to your weight, as its just fast releasing protein which is ideal for before and after workouts, to prime your body. Lots of shakes isn't necessarily bad you just won't get the same results that you would from mixing up your protein sources.

So I should go for a weight gainer then?

Personally if it were me I'd give it a go the natural way with some milk and peanut butter etc. first to see how that goes (also some BCAA - Branched Chain Amino Acid on myprotein) and if that does work or you aren't happy with it go for a supplement. But it depends on you, the reviews on myprotein are usually really helpful for the individual products.

To put it into perspective, myprotein sell their own oats and peanut butter.

What's this BCAA stuff do then? Reviews are very positive.

When you do any form of exercise over a period your body will start to break down or use the energy stored in the muscles and then move on to muscle, Amino Acids help prevent this, so it's easier to gain more muscle without losing a certain amount of it at the same time. Kind of like taking two steps forward instead of two steps forward and half a step back.

Everyone's bodies are different and react and metabolise differently so there's a thousand different methods for gaining muscle and weight, you just have to kind of trial and error work out your best way.

There's a guy on here, I think its Blue Army Andy (not 100% sure), whose a personal trainer, he's probably the best man to speak to.

If you had 3 shakes a day you'd probably be spending close to £100 a month!

If I could still manage 3 shakes a day , I’d willingly pay £100 a week . (so long as she had warm soft hands )

Not a fan of Myprotein.com I use www.tropicanafitness.com for my shakes and fitness suppliments as an alternative to eating 6 meals a day! My favorite At the moment is "Mutant whey" It made up as a 5 stage whey protein that triggers muscle growth and nitrogen retention (If thats what your looking for)

Vanilla is quite a nice flavour!

Also if you need any weekly fitness regime for any goals you have whether it be to put on some fat, muscle or just lean out, let me know i will knock you a plan up, will only take me 15 mins...

Good luck

P.s If your looking to really Pile on the pounds, Mutant Mass is the way to go, i used it for 6 months before my cutting schedule..

http://www.tropicanafitness.com/weight_gainers/pvl-mutant-mass-6-8kg-pvl_mutant_mass_6_8kg.htm

Currently 34% off 49.99 for 7KG of the stuff!

Chocolate, Vanilla, Strawberry banana (Both in 1) cookies and cream, Choc Hazelnut

Lee

Basically if you are trying to gain weight, it doesn't matter whether you drink you protein shakes or not. All that matters if that you get in enough calories and protein and carbs and obviously if you have trouble eating then protein shakes help. Personally I would make my own gainer shakes with whey, whole mlik, peanut butter, cocoa powder, oats, bananas etc, there you can easily create a 1k calorie shake.

Things that are irrelevant and are used by both the media and supplement companies to sell their products are:

meal frequency, meal timing, individual food choices.

As long as you get in enough calories, protein and carbs over a 24hour period you are good to go.

I'm currently bulking after cutting a lot of weight over the previous year and a half or so, and currently taking in 2800calories before moving up to 3000kcals, and for me it's easy as I love food.

If you do buy powder I would personally recommend dolphinfitness, as they sell the major brands at the lowest price. I recently got Dymatize Nutrition Banana Nut XT blend and ON chocolate casein and they are both great. I would go for a blend or casein protein over whey as they taste and mix much better.

I can't advise as 1) I'm not an expert on these, they are a minefield and 2) I don't know what your training and diet is like.

At this moment in time, I personally don't use protein however that is because my training over the last 18 months has all been geared to long distance running.

Everybody has a different opinion on shakes, mine is this; remember that they are a SUPPLEMENT to your diet, they are there to 'top you up' providing you get enough of the stuff from natural sources. And even then you need to be training hard enough to warrant using them. If your diet isn't spot on, they're probably not going to work quite as you would want them too.

Have you seen the guys at the gym with the big arms, big chest, big back and big belly? That's not a beer gut, it's a protein belly. You body doesn't store protein in the muscles. Any excess is either passed like alcohol is or converted to fat and stored under the skin so beware!

That said, although it sounds like it, I'm certainly not against using them. After this weekends race in London I will be starting a new programme to ensure I look my best on holiday in July and the protein I will be taking is from Forever Living all of the ingredients are natural as opposed to synthetic. I will only be using it after training sessions too, none of this three a day meal replacement crap, that's only if you are on a strict 6 meals a day "grazing" diet. Although I try for that, often my schedule gets in the way.

It probably doesn't, but I hope that helps.

Archived