Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
chris_lcfc_85

Worried by strength of the Championship

Hi folks, now before anyone says anything, im aware there is still a number of weeks before the season kicks off.

However, the more I look into it, the more im beginning to think the league is bar far the toughest erver.

All 3 relegated sides have kept alot of Prem quality players. Blackburn have Hoilett, Dunn, Dann, Pedersen, Robinson amongst others plus new signing's like Gomes/Best etc

Bolton have Petrov, M Davies, K Davies, Wheater, Ngog etc

Wolves have Jarvis, Doyle, Fletcher, Milijas, Johnson, Kightly, Ward etc

They are all as strong as we've seen in recent years.

Then lots of teams similar to us buying pretty well. Boro after Woodgate as well as others, Leeds have signed 2/3 good players plus pushing a few more through, then Birmingham, Blackpool and Cardiff are all losing play off sides with good players and buying more.

Even the promoted sides look good. Huddersfield have brought in Adam Clayton/Sean Scannell as well as a couple of others as have Sheff Weds.

Like i say, i appreciate we have alot more time to go but Pearson's next few signings MUST be crucial otherwise it will be mid table once again purely down to the power of the Championship.

Hi folks, now before anyone says anything, im aware there is still a number of weeks before the season kicks off.

However, the more I look into it, the more im beginning to think the league is bar far the toughest erver.

All 3 relegated sides have kept alot of Prem quality players. Blackburn have Hoilett, Dunn, Dann, Pedersen, Robinson amongst others plus new signing's like Gomes/Best etc

Then lots of teams similar to us buying pretty well. Boro after Woodgate as well as others, Leeds have signed 2/3 good players plus pushing a few more through, then Birmingham, Blackpool and Cardiff are all losing play off sides with good players and buying more.

Even the promoted sides look good. Huddersfield have brought in Adam Clayton/Sean Scannell as well as a couple of others as have Sheff Weds.

Like i say, i appreciate we have alot more time to go but Pearson's next few signings MUST be crucial otherwise it will be mid table once again purely down to the power of the Championship.

The Championship is so strong every single season, I wouldn't say this season is significantly different. The relegated teams look quite strong - Bolton are the ones I would be most wary of. Blackburn are a bit of an unknown quantity - they've bought in some decent players, but they're in asbolute disarray with all this Kean/Venkys nonsense. Wolves look half decent too, but again - they're coming in on the back of an absolutely terrible season. I know that the window has only just opened and you're looking at who these sides have brought in, but you've got to factor in the fact that the relegated sides are going to lose some of their best players to the PL for sure - Hoilett's definitely going as his contracts up and I wouldn't be surprised to see a few more from the relegated teams go to the prem.

Pearson's going about his business quietly and carefully, we're not doing what we did last season and getting in a load of mercenaries on massive wages for massive fees. I think once the window has shut we'll have a better idea of how strong the teams in this league are and we'll have an even better idea after ten games have passed.

Don't take anything for granted because the Championship will always turn your expectations on their head and surprise you.

people say that every year and every year the league shows anyone can beat anyone

I bet people had these thoughts when they saw what we were doing last season, they needn't have worried and I've no doubt a few teams will come up shorter than expectations this season what matters is not them but how we do.

The championship is the same every year, a good start is basically all that is required, if you can win 7or8 of the 1st 10 then people seem to fear you or think well they must be playing well, look at QPR i didn't think they offered much at all, but they got of to a decent start, warnock had them difficult to beat and they had 1 very good player on his day.

southampton last year had the momentum from L1 won a few games early on and when they had a sticky patch the points on the board kept them up there.

I bet people had these thoughts when they saw what we were doing last season, they needn't have worried and I've no doubt a few teams will come up shorter than expectations this season what matters is not them but how we do.

Exacty. Last season it was between us and West Ham to win the league, Forest were outside contenders and Soton would have done well to get to the playoffs, just shows how unpredictable this league is. It's a different proposition to the Premiership so although the likes of Blackburn have decent players, that doesn't guarantee anything

I have to agree with what you have said at at the top. I wrote a similar post in another topic page. This year looks extremely threatening with Leicester not being one of them teams who if I was a neutral would be threatened of. Huddersfield to me have gone about their business well this summer brought in some great players. Warnock agree with person above will set Leeds up to be difficult to beat which is why he is buying 4 new defenders which could include Peltier at £350k Bargain, he has the potential to be a great modern day right back just needs to work on his defensive skills a bit more and stop being out of position when it comes to defending the back post! I am intrigued to see which players the relegated teams can keep hold of, especially Bolton they look the most threatening to me a couple of Good Signings including Mills in that...I wasn't a Mills fan at all for Leicester he tried to be a creative midfielder from the CB position spraying balls around the pitch which 70% would fail to get to the player, as a defender he has got something there to work with just needs the right manager to bring it out of him. Pearson I agree is going about his business his own quiet way but as fans I do get concerned when i see other teams snapping up players I believe could do a great job for us.

It's strong every season

But one thing that's different this summer since any point since the Thai's arrived is that we now need to balance the books, meaning NP has to create his own transfer pot from sales something many on here have forgotten already... as well as that with quite a few players on Premiership wages he has to make room on the wage bill.

There are a few other rich clubs too with Forest & Watford picking up wealthy owners (along with the plethora of rich owners already here) who may back their management team to the extent the Thais did when they arrived & I doubt any manager with serious backing will end up mid-table like we did twice.

One thing in our favour is whatever group of players we have left will have a better togetherness than last season & more team spirit... that's worth a few points come the end of the season.

I'm not worried about the Championship being too strong because the Premiership would be stronger anyway

But the idea is to get out of the Championship to challenge the Premiership elite else what would be the point in playing??

Huddersfield and Middlesbrough would be my two dark horses. Both have very experienced managers and I'm sure Boro will want to improve on last year.

Even though Blackburn are getting rid of Yakubu, Hoilett, Olsson and probably others I think they'll do very well, lot of good young players. But as some have said its so unpredictable, and NP has a full pre season with the boys this time so let's just hope that this is going to be the season.

There is still ages to go til the season starts let alone the window closing. Relegated teams will lose players in that time, other teams will sign players and ourselves may make some good signings.

Everybody always says the championship is tough, Id rather focus on ourselves and forget everyone else, if we do what we have to then other teams don't matter. Once you start relying on other teams to lose you make it difficult for yourself, if you win all 46 games you wont have a problem

I think it will be incredibly tough, tougher than last year. People don't think Bolton and Blackburn will be that strong, but Bolton are definitely my favourites they are not a Championship side I honestly believe if they had Holden and Lee Chung Yong fit to play last season and Kevin Davies fired in the goals a bit more they would of stayed up.

Blackburn have already signed some very good players, yes they will lose a lot of good ones, but with signings like Murphy and more to come they will be dangerous regardless if a deluded Kean is in charge.

All three promoted sides are stronger than before, Huddersfield and Charlton could honestly make play-off pushes this season, while teams like Leeds, Cardiff, Wolves, Blackpool, Birmingham, Middlesbrough and plenty of others will be in the mix, that's 10 teams mentioned there with only six places up for grabs.

Plus the likes of Forest and Watford will be boosted by takeovers, so they now have money to spend.

I believe we need to bring in four more quality players, or especially with our youthful midfield with Drinkwater and James likely to start some games teams will dominate us in that position of the field. We need a quality centre back, a quality winger and another quality striker or we could well finish mid-table.

I think it will be incredibly tough, tougher than last year. People don't think Bolton and Blackburn will be that strong, but Bolton are definitely my favourites they are not a Championship side I honestly believe if they had Holden and Lee Chung Yong fit to play last season and Kevin Davies fired in the goals a bit more they would of stayed up.

Blackburn have already signed some very good players, yes they will lose a lot of good ones, but with signings like Murphy and more to come they will be dangerous regardless if a deluded Kean is in charge.

All three promoted sides are stronger than before, Huddersfield and Charlton could honestly make play-off pushes this season, while teams like Leeds, Cardiff, Wolves, Blackpool, Birmingham, Middlesbrough and plenty of others will be in the mix, that's 10 teams mentioned there with only six places up for grabs.

Plus the likes of Forest and Watford will be boosted by takeovers, so they now have money to spend.

I believe we need to bring in four more quality players, or especially with our youthful midfield with Drinkwater and James likely to start some games teams will dominate us in that position of the field. We need a quality centre back, a quality winger and another quality striker or we could well finish mid-table.

I agree with all of this

Spot on IMO.

It's easy for people to say that the Championship is tough every year... Of course it is, but there will be some seasons where the general standard will be higher than others.

Bolton have strengthened, so have Blackburn and Wolves, so far, have retained the bulk of their prem squad.

These three have to be strong and unless we get at least a couple of really good players in I can see us in mid table mediocrity again.

I agree with all of this

Spot on IMO.

It's easy for people to say that the Championship is tough every year... Of course it is, but there will be some seasons where the general standard will be higher than others.

Bolton have strengthened, so have Blackburn and Wolves, so far, have retained the bulk of their prem squad.

These three have to be strong and unless we get at least a couple of really good players in I can see us in mid table mediocrity again.

In your opinion. Bolton and Blackburn have added / changed their personnel that doesn't mean they will be stronger, many thought that about us last year when appeared to be strengthening but it clearly didn't make us stronger.

The relegated teams do look strong on paper, but if the last two seasons have shown me anything, its that its a strong squad ethic that'l get you promoted, not big name players. The teams promoted over the past couple of seasons did it because they worked well together. We failed to even pass the ball well, often resorting to this 'pass it to our best player and hope they pull something amazing off' attitude. Just because you have x amount of premiership standard players on the books dosnt mean your winning anything in this league.

In your opinion. Bolton and Blackburn have added / changed their personnel that doesn't mean they will be stronger, many thought that about us last year when appeared to be strengthening but it clearly didn't make us stronger.

Yes that wasn't clear... I meant 'strengthened after selling' eg Yakubu/Hoilett out...Murphy, Best in etc.. I didnt mean 'strengthened per se' of course.

Do you really believe that these three teams won't be strong in the Championship? I admire your optimism but I can't see, given the CURRENT squads available that City can be made favourites over any of the three relegated sides.

The relegated teams do look strong on paper, but if the last two seasons have shown me anything, its that its a strong squad ethic that'l get you promoted, not big name players. The teams promoted over the past couple of seasons did it because they worked well together. We failed to even pass the ball well, often resorting to this 'pass it to our best player and hope they pull something amazing off' attitude. Just because you have x amount of premiership standard players on the books dosnt mean your winning anything in this league.

I do agree with this but if you possess quality AND that work ethic you are talking about you are on a winner.

Look at Southampton last season... Lallana and Lambert, then Sharpe were class.

Reading came good when they added Roberts and LeFondre to their existing, quite talented, squad.

The success of these two clubs was a combination of both... Good players and a strong team spirit/momentum.

I'm not worried about other teams perceived strength, i'm only worried about our current lack of it. Without a holding midfielder and target man I don't think we've got much of a chance. There'll be plenty of games where we need those types of player and we don't currently have them. I don't want to see us trying to convert players or asking our current players to do it when necessary, square pegs in round holes doesn't work over a season

I'm not worried about other teams perceived strength, i'm only worried about our current lack of it. Without a holding midfielder and target man I don't think we've got much of a chance. There'll be plenty of games where we need those types of player and we don't currently have them. I don't want to see us trying to convert players or asking our current players to do it when necessary, square pegs in round holes doesn't work over a season

Again, absolutely right IMO.

If we fail to defend as a team again next season and don't keep the ball we will fail.

A Midfield general and strong bloke up top who can shield the ball and keep it at feet were the two biggest shortcomings of last seasons squad.

IMO.

Bolton and Blackburn of course will lose out dramatically, even more players from them will leave in the next month but they will still be strong at Championship level. Regardless that they are now both Championship sides, Premier League players who are out of favour, and are linked to Championship clubs will choose teams like Blackburn and Bolton over teams like ourselves, Huddersfield, Leeds etc...

Birmingham, Blackburn, Blackpool, Bolton, Brighton, Burnley, Cardiff, Charlton, Huddersfield, Hull, Ipswich, Leeds, Leicester, Middlesbrough, Notts Forest, Sheff Wed, Watford and Wolves will all be capable of a top six finish next season, that is 18 teams mentioned there fighting for only six places, you try and place all those teams in finishing positions I bet you change your mind at least five times, its that tough to predict this season.

Blackburn and Bolton will buy because they will lose out, being realistic and looking at their squads now.

Blackburn - Bunn, Orr, Hanley, Henley, Morris, Formica, Murphy, Lowe, Olsson, Best, Goodwillie - That starting 11 is already pretty strong, add more players to that plus the likes of Kean, Nunes, Dunn, Linganzi, Slew, Blackman, Gomes and people say they will struggle, looking at that team it's highly doubtful.

Bolton - Bogdan, Mears, Mills, Ream, Alonso, Eagles, Andrews, Pratley, Wylde, Sordell, Davies - Already that is very very strong, and they will probably add to that, you have some quality players in that possible starting 11, plus players with Championship experience like Sordell, Pratley and Eagles, they will most likely keep those players and in my opinion that team is already pretty scary.

But the idea is to get out of the Championship to challenge the Premiership elite else what would be the point in playing??

There wouldn't be any point, thats why it is pointless fearing our opponents if we want Premiership football

I do agree with this but if you possess quality AND that work ethic you are talking about you are on a winner.

Look at Southampton last season... Lallana and Lambert, then Sharpe were class.

Reading came good when they added Roberts and LeFondre to their existing, quite talented, squad.

The success of these two clubs was a combination of both... Good players and a strong team spirit/momentum.

Yeh this is pretty much the point I’m trying to put across too. I'm hoping this season we will be a much bigger threat even if our squad doesn’t change drastically, and that’s just down to the fact our players know each other better now. There has been a few exceptions (usually one team that has been relegated from the prem each season) that does well, but being relegated in the first place puts massive pressure on the squad by the fans and board because they expect to go straight back up again. The best teams I saw last season were generally one's that had either come up from league 1, and therefore had a winning mentality and a strong bond within the squad, not the ones who spent over the odds on mediocre players (such as us), or as you said relegated teams that managed to keep that squad ethic on top of the quality.

Lets just put it this way, if bolton, blackburn and wolves would have played the way they did last season in the championship, I don’t think they'd be running away with the league by any stretch, they'd probably have ended up where we did.

Archived