Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Oadby Fox

Nigel Pearson, will he be given enough time to do the job?

Please read this again - £1m on a non league Shef Weds reject and ridiculous overspends do seem to be very similar things

Hardly, considering you've not even seen him play yet.

If he's a great player for us you'll still bang your it was a ridiculous overspend drum will you? Actually it's you, so yes you probably will.

Told you so. :(

Perhaps you should start a topic 'Everything that the board and management at Leicester City do is brilliant and please don't be anything other than positive forever and ever'

Hardly, considering you've not even seen him play yet.

If he's a great player for us you'll still bang your it was a ridiculous overspend drum will you? Actually it's you, so yes you probably will.

And if he's a bag of pants you will obviously still worship him so normal service then......

Yes, him failing would make me so happy, I am always on a high when Leicester are doing badly. On the other hand, suspecting that his dismal record over the past 2 seasons is a sign that he rode his luck in his previous spell here and has lost some of that sparkle - his close season pulling power so far has suggested he can punch his weight against mid table Championship teams and his performance as a manager in the league back this up - is not willing him to fail - quite the opposite, I am willing him to perform miracles, and every naff decision he makes means he is more likely to have to do this than if he was making good ones - plus it appears he can't count and that worries me as well

There is no such thing as 'luck', especially in football. He won promotion at the first attempt in League One; you can only beat what's in front of you. He then took the club to 5th and we were a penalty shootout away from the final. This was all done on little finances, as appose to Sven.

He needs time to build his team. What did Alex Ferguson win in his first three years at Manchester United? Oh yeah, nothing. I cannot believe that people are not behind the manager, even when we haven't played a game. It's getting boring now.

Anyway, his Leicester City record can be seen here:

Nigel Pearson, 2008 - 2010:

Played 107

Won 55

Drawn 30

Lost 22

Win % 51.40

Sven Goran Eriksson, 2010 - 2011:

Played 55 (thanks billyfox for pointing out my mistake :blush:)

Won 24

Drawn 14

Lost 17

Win % 43.64

Nigel Pearson, 2011 - present day:

Played 20

Won 9

Drawn 6

Lost 5

Win % 45.00

Oh yeah, he has a better win percentage than Sven both times...

Yes, him failing would make me so happy, I am always on a high when Leicester are doing badly. On the other hand, suspecting that his dismal record over the past 2 seasons is a sign that he rode his luck in his previous spell here and has lost some of that sparkle - his close season pulling power so far has suggested he can punch his weight against mid table Championship teams and his performance as a manager in the league back this up - is not willing him to fail - quite the opposite, I am willing him to perform miracles, and every naff decision he makes means he is more likely to have to do this than if he was making good ones - plus it appears he can't count and that worries me as well

So close! I think you almost convinced some people that you are not totally biased, until that last bit about counting. You'll use anything you can find to attack the manager with. Any excuse at all. What evidence have you got that he can't count?

You sarcastically say NP failing would make you happy, but it really would, wouldn't it? You'd rather be right and see the team struggle, than be wrong and see us do well with a manager you don't like.

There is no such thing as 'luck', especially in football. He won promotion at the first attempt in League One; you can only beat what's in front of you. He then took the club to 5th and we were a penalty shootout away from the final. This was all done on little finances, as appose to Sven.

He needs time to build his team. What did Alex Ferguson win in his first three years at Manchester United? Oh yeah, nothing. I cannot believe that people are not behind the manager, even when we haven't played a game. It's getting boring now.

Anyway, his Leicester City record can be seen here:

Nigel Pearson, 2008 - 2010:

Played 107

Won 55

Drawn 30

Lost 22

Win % 51.40

Sven Goran Eriksson, 2010 - 2011:

Played 22

Won 24

Drawn 14

Lost 17

Win % 43.64

Nigel Pearson, 2011 - present day:

Played 20

Won 9

Drawn 6

Lost 5

Win % 45.00

Oh yeah, he has a better win percentage than Sven both times...

Do the Hull season as well (where he had a close season etc etc) and who keeps banging on about Sven - get over it, he's gone. Neither of them good enough for our club IMO

So close! I think you almost convinced some people that you are not totally biased, until that last bit about counting. You'll use anything you can find to attack the manager with. Any excuse at all. What evidence have you got that he can't count?

You sarcastically say NP failing would make you happy, but it really would, wouldn't it? You'd rather be right and see the team struggle, than be wrong and see us do well with a manager you don't like.

Tripe - the counting is a swipe at him saying he has reduced the first team squad by 20 players when it will be more like 3 or 4

FYI I am always right and it has no bearing on how we do - happy when we win, pissed off when we lose, happy when we are moving forwards, pissed off when its backwards or sideways

Do the Hull season as well (where he had a close season etc etc) and who keeps banging on about Sven - get over it, he's gone. Neither of them good enough for our club IMO

I'll accept that his record wasn't good at Hull City, but it wasn't right for him. Some managers don't work at certain clubs; compare Holloway at Leicester to Holloway at Blackpool, for example. I included Sven because most people seem to prefer him, and I didn't include Sousa because he didn't have enough games really.

Played 64

Won 23

Drawn 20

Lost 21

Win % 35.94

Perhaps you should start a topic 'Everything that the board and management at Leicester City do is brilliant and please don't be anything other than positive forever and ever'

Perhaps you should just create your own thread where you write off players without seeing them kick a ball (Vardy), and slate managers with better records than the one you constantly defend.

And if he's a bag of pants you will obviously still worship him so normal service then......

Classic seenitall post where someone has his pants down and he twists things with utter nonsense in reply.

I'll accept that his record wasn't good at Hull City, but it wasn't right for him. Some managers don't work at certain clubs; compare Holloway at Leicester to Holloway at Blackpool, for example. I included Sven because most people seem to prefer him, and I didn't include Sousa because he didn't have enough games really.

64 23 20 21

But if you put his Hull and Leicester record togetherr for the past 2 seasons he has not achieved anything like the ratios he achieved for Leicester so guess what, good managers lose their edge - hopefully he'll get it back but the signs (for me) are not good - hanging on to players who are well past it, buying a new team that has for the most part never competed at this (and in some cases ANY) level - somebody's got to keep this board from descending into a sycophantic love in

Surely that's a better attitude to have than 'No one is good enough for the mighty Leicester and no stats, facts, not even what's staring me in the eyes is going to convince me that I'm wrong'.

Tripe - the counting is a swipe at him saying he has reduced the first team squad by 20 players when it will be more like 3 or 4

FYI I am always right and it has no bearing on how we do - happy when we win, pissed off when we lose, happy when we are moving forwards, pissed off when its backwards or sideways

I worry about your grasp of English more than his maths. He never said we'd reduced the squad by that many, just that he must have released/sold that many since his return.

Perhaps you should just create your own thread where you write off players without seeing them kick a ball (Vardy), and slate managers with better records than the one you constantly defend.

Classic seenitall post where someone has his pants down and he twists things with utter nonsense in reply.

Weak reply by your usual acidic standards Babs - proud to have become a 'classic' type of poster though. Don't need to create my own posts, I like these ones

Surely that's a better attitude to have than 'No one is good enough for the mighty Leicester and no stats, facts, not even what's staring me in the eyes is going to convince me that I'm wrong'.

What is staring me in the face???

Whether Claridge proves to be a wise old Fox in the end or not with his pre season talk, only time will tell. I think a good start is absolutely crucial this time round for Pearson. If that doesn't happenthen I don't think Pearson will be shown the door as soon as Sven was if we start as poorly as we did last season (it'll be more likely to be around Christmas instead of mid October maybe) but I think we'll be in the top six by Christmas this time anyway as opposed to flaunting with anywhere between 10th-15th all last winter period!

I think Claridge hit the nail on the head though when saying that the Thais have now realised you can't necessarily buy your way out of this league. Reading proved that money isn't everything last season - consistency and team spirit with a good manager at the helm was of course their recipe to succes - and to a lesser degree Southampton's too - who didn't spend like we did either. West Ham bought their way to the Premier in the end (January transfer window) but they're perhaps the best equpiied from the three who went up to stay up now because of it ironically!

What is staring me in the face???

Champions of League One - A division that countless clubs, bigger than us, have failed to get out of at the first time of asking.

5th in the Championship - Above expectations.

Midtable with Hull and set for a top 6 finish - Despite the fact that many Hull fans were expecting to be way down the table, constructed a squad within a year good enough to be challenging for the Play-Offs, pretty much all Hull fans are in agreement that he did a good job.

Given only 6 or so months to turn our fortunes around, unable to but has already brought in some promising players for next year in January (Morgan/Marshall/Drinkwater are all good championship players).

Your reason for disliking the man is clearly not just about whether he's good enough for Leicester unless you are really, really deluded about how 'big' a club we are.

Please read this again - £1m on a non league Shef Weds reject and ridiculous overspends do seem to be very similar things

Steve Morison started at Northampton and was sold to a non league club. He scored loads of goals at non league level for two clubs before Millwall took a gamble. It paid off, he scored 35 in 83 for the Lions, and became one of the Championships' best strikers before moving to Norwich for 2.8million.

Charlie Austin was released by Reading after coming through their youth system. He moved to non league, and scored loads. Swindon took a gamble on the non league striker and it paid off. He then moved to Burnley and has so far scored 16 goals in 45 games, plus he has had a bad injury since being at Burnley.

Vardy may have been released by Sheffield Wednesday, but it doesn't make him a bad player, and it doesn't mean he cannot score at this level. I recall Martin O'Neill signing Savage (once released by Manchester United), Lennon (not wanted Manchester City) and Izzet (non wanted by Chelsea).. These were three gambles, which paid off.

What Pearson actually said...

"There is a workable number in the squad. We had an awful lot of players last season. It must be around 20 who have left since I arrived back.

Which is true. Around 20 players have left in that time.

Your spin...

He never said that. He said around 20 have left since he returned.

Do you see what I mean? What is that? You're changing what he actually said to suit your own biased, preconceived ideas. It makes you come across as a bit desperate. There's no reason to criticise him on this, so now you have to make things up. And for what? To slag off the manager of the football club you're meant to be a supporter of, who in actual fact has a better record than most managers we've had.

You are not always right, as you've just proven in the last sentence.

Would you elaborate? What do you mean when you say moving forwards or moving backwards?

So let's look at the facts, 30 ish games to get us promoted and despite the pearson fans' bleats of it's not his team and give him time he failed miserably. He's got rid of bamba and mills and possibly Beckford soon. He's signed two more of Manchester United's rejects, make it three if we include danny give the ball away cheaply Drinkwater. He's signed a non-league striker to boost our attack and he's chasing his old mates from hull city to see if they can do a better job for us than they did for hull.

despite the pearson loving that exists on this forum, i for one am not being taken in by it.

I hope the most we give this fool is another ten games then pull the plug on him.

Now i'm sure the forum bullies and good grammar police will be at me in droves but ffs look at the statistics before you make your points.

I already know i'm a twat and a fool and an idiot and my grammar is crap and i'm not a real fan and i don't care about the foxes so please try replying with facts and common sense!

Well, whilst your post comes across as a bit negative, the points you make are valid. Pearson brought nothing to the table at Hull, and also brought nothing to the table in the last 30 games for us. I am good friends with a hull season ticket holder, and they shed no tears over him leaving. They branded the football dull and uninspiring. Sounds familiar.

We have to give him a chance, as we have to support the team, however for me he has a lot to prove. People say how he is the 3rd most successful manager at city, but also the only manager to manage at league 1 level.

He's now got 'his team' so despite me seriously doubting the man, I will give him a chance and get behind him and our team, however we can't afford to mess around anymore, forest, Leeds, Watford and Cardiff all have investment, and wolves, Bolton and Blackburn will be no mugs.

Archived