Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Year Of The Fox

Safestanding Roadshow Coming to Leicester- Confirmation

Apparently, the Mercury has published a précis of my recent blog essay, "Together we stand", in Saturday's edition. It's not available online (the précis), as it's only in the newspaper itself.

Apparently, the Mercury has published a précis of my recent blog essay, "Together we stand", in Saturday's edition. It's not available online (the précis), as it's only in the newspaper itself.

Last Saturday or this one coming?

Merc - Add your comments/support here - http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/Leicester-City-fans-invited-join-standing-debate/story-16618472-detail/story.html

A campaign to reintroduce standing areas to football grounds will visit Leicester next month.

The Safe Standing Roadshow has been invited to give a demonstration of rail seats – a system widely used in Germany and Austria – before Leicester City's first match of the season against Peterborough United on August 18.

City season ticket holder Stuart Ellison has arranged the demonstration at The Counting House pub, in Freemans Park, Leicester.

City mayor Sir Peter Soulsby, North West Leicestershire MP Andrew Bridgen, police and Leicester City officials have been invited to the demonstration, which will be given to home and away fans.

Mr Ellison, 25, of Coalville, said: "The concept matches what is used in the Bundesliga in Germany and has been publicly backed by Aston Villa and Derby County.

"Some fellow supporters and I have arranged for the roadshow to visit to get more fans aware of their ideas.

"Fans who are sitting down get fed up if other fans stand up in front of them.

"If you had a segregated area where people can stand, you would eliminate that problem."

Mr Ellison has a season ticket in L block at the King Power Stadium.

Fans in that part of the ground regularly stand up en masse despite it being illegal. They said the law was not rigorously enforced by stewards.

Mr Ellison said: "People get season tickets for that section of the ground because they know they can stand there and people are now flocking to adjoining blocks.

"I would hate it if they made us sit down in L block – I would hand my season ticket in."

Peter Daykin, Safe Standing campaign co-ordinator with the Football Supporters' Federation, said: "It's still illegal but there is no evidence that standing in properly designated areas is unsafe.

"It will take a brave minister to put their name behind this, but the only way forward is to have a properly measured trial and be open-minded and realistic."

Jon Darch, who has been touring the country with a sample rail structure, said: "I've visited many clubs, some behind closed doors because they're worried that if they publicly expressed support, the authorities might take a look at parts of the ground where fans are allowed to stand.

"Stewards at many clubs currently have the futile job of getting fans to sit down."

City fan Sam Heald, 22, of Loughborough, said: "I would like to see dedicated standing areas if it was done the right way and safely."

Gary Jacques, 48, of Counteshorpe, said: "Ground safety has improved and there is very little trouble.

"More than 3,000 City fans stood at the recent Hinckley United friendly and it was a fantastic atmosphere."

A spokesman for Leicester City said: "The conditions of King Power Stadium's safety licence, as prescribed under the Football Spectators Act 1989, require all parts of the stadium to be all-seater."

Lord Justice Taylor recommended compulsory seating after the 1989 Hillsborough Disaster, in which 96 died.

This is also in the Merc.

In the wake of the Hillsborough stadium disaster in 1989 the decision to introduce all-seater stadia in the top two divisions of the English football league was understandable. It came from a desire to ensure that a tragedy which claimed the lives of 96 people should never happen again.

The thinking was that all-seater stadia would reduce the potential for the type of crush which caused catastrophe at Hillsborough.

However, many football fans feel that the loss of standing areas has robbed matches of some of their atmosphere.

Now a campaign group is visiting football grounds – and is due in Leicester next month – to promote a system used in Germany to create safe standing areas.

These make use of "rail seats" which, as the name suggests, comprise a series of rails at which spectators can stand.

Obviously, we should be very careful not to do anything which compromises safety.

However, it is worth noting that the Hillsborough disaster was not caused by standing but by a number of other factors and that the Taylor report into the tragedy stated that standing areas were not intrinsically unsafe.

Furthermore, standing areas continue to be used without problem in many lower league grounds, and at Leicester Tigers rugby stadium in Welford Road where the Crumbie terrace helps to give the ground its very special atmosphere.

The idea of "rail seats" in the top football divisions therefore seems a very sensible way forward which would maintain high safety standards while giving fans the chance to stand up and make some noise.

Well written piece in the Mercury, and I presume the part above is an editor's comment, but just one thing stood out.

It isn't actually illegal to stand in a seated area. The law states that football clubs must provide seated accommodation for all spectators, but how it is enforced is down to the ground regulations.

This is nitpicking though, well argued point from stu and a very positive slant from the Mercury.

Typical response from the club skirting round the issue. If that is the only response/ contact we get with them I'll be disappointed

Exactly what I thought, it would have been nice if they at least expressed an opinion.....I'm sure most clubs would be hapy to install them (if its cost effective) and not have the headache of fans standing in seats...reduced allocations etc..

I can't say I'm surprised by the response from the club if I'm honest.

It reads like exactly what it is; a stock response that has had no thought behind it whatsoever.

That said, the club are being contacted directly along with the parties mentioned in the article so their absence would be conspicuous on August 18th.

Well, Garnier has responded with a letter from Hugh Robertson:

Dear Edward,

Thank you for your e-mail of 16 July, enclosing one from your constituent, Mr Alistair

Proudman, about safe-standing in football.

As you know, the Government believes that the longstanding policy, which requires that

stadia of football clubs in the top two divisions be all-seater, remains an important measure

in maintaining safety at football grounds in England and Wales. For me to even consider a

change in this policy there would have to be compelling evidence presented to me from all

the relevant authorities, including the police, on spectator safety, as well as it being clear

that this is something that all parties want. In my meetings with the football authorities and

clubs over here, there is no appetite to change the current policy and no compelling case

has been made.

However, I understand that the organisers of the safe-standing roadshow recently

undertook a fact-finding trip to Germany, and that the Sports Grounds Safety Authority, the

body responsible for overseeing football ground safety in England and Wales, have said

they would be interested in seeing any video footage produced on that trip.

With best wishes

Hugh

As expected really.

Why do people think that looking at an idea to effect a change in legislation associates them with breaking the law. that's the way democracy works. It is a simple invite to an event looking at a system that with the appropriate change in legislation would be lawful. Several football clubs have now come out in support of it and have not been reprimanded by any of the football authorities or associations.

It does annoy me but I'm convinced enough momentum has been gained, it will happen, it may take a few years but we will stand side by side legally at top tier football grounds legally in the future.

Archived