Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Year Of The Fox

Safestanding Roadshow Coming to Leicester- Confirmation

Our club's an absolute joke, it really is, the customer service is simply the worst I've ever come across in anything.

The ignorance, refusal to get off the fence and almost a willingness to piss any non-families off (it genuinely seems that way) is absolutely atrocious. There's got to be serious change at this club behind the scenes, I don't know who exactly is to blame.

The way LCFC are, it's going to take an absolute miracle of an August 18th, I'm 100% there and will do all I can.

I've put it on Posh's forum and the small-time bastards, not a single reply. :rolleyes:

Pm me your mobile number so I can give you a bell later to let you know when we are close to picking you up.

Stu, Gary still need to make both of you admins on the group will do it later on as I can't do it on my phone.

In reply to the structural problems ^^^ our ground is poorly built so a insider at the club says the ground was rushed when being finished and wasn't finished properly.

Apprently at some point in the kop there is a load of wooden blocks holding up the stantions below the seats. Possibly SK4....

Reading through 1964Fox's and Bilo's contributions there seems to be some doubt/discrepancy as to whether rail seating does or does not increase capacity which would have implications on safety issues concerning exit from the ground.

I remember some years ago the Club stating that the stadium was not structurally safe for pop concerts and needed some structural reinforcement - was that ever done?

Isn't it a bit naive saying that the installation of rail seating is "a no brainer" until safety and structural issues are determined by experts in the field?

Stu, Gary still need to make both of you admins on the group will do it later on as I can't do it on my phone.

In reply to the structural problems ^^^ our ground is poorly built so a insider at the club says the ground was rushed when being finished and wasn't finished properly.

Apprently at some point in the kop there is a load of wooden blocks holding up the stantions below the seats. Possibly SK4....

Sort of correct, if you are on the concourse in SK4 you can look up at the steels and see where they don't meet the concrete properly, they have been packed with bits of MDF.

this was pointed out to me when i worked at the club part time.

Part of the reason we can't have a licence for concerts.

So essentially the club have to many excuses already lined up, which is a shame cuz i loved the kop at filbert st, but even if the government decided safe standing was fine, I think the cost implications to the club in terms of making the stadium safe would curtail any chance of it happening at our place anytime soon.

Not certain but extending the east stand would increase the capacity to just over 40,000 as planning permission already allow. This would be achieved from the same amount of vomitaries so they must have been made to required specification for increased numbers.

Are you sure? The extension to the East Stand will be built behind the existing stadium and therefore the entrances/exits would most likely be built within the new structure and not the existing structure.

Are you sure? The extension to the East Stand will be built behind the existing stadium and therefore the entrances/exits would most likely be built within the new structure and not the existing structure.

You could very well be right, I did say I wasn't sure. Initially it's important to raise the issues, raise awareness and gain support from varying politicians and hopefully the club. The first big step is to change the legislation to facilitate the introduction of safe seating. stadium suitability and cost realistically is a long way down the line.

Reading through 1964Fox's and Bilo's contributions there seems to be some doubt/discrepancy as to whether rail seating does or does not increase capacity which would have implications on safety issues concerning exit from the ground.

I remember some years ago the Club stating that the stadium was not structurally safe for pop concerts and needed some structural reinforcement - was that ever done?

Isn't it a bit naive saying that the installation of rail seating is "a no brainer" until safety and structural issues are determined by experts in the field?

If there was a safe standing section it would actually reduce capacity, the standing area itself would be unchanged, but you get a triangle shaped area from the back of the seated sections either side of the standing area whose view would be blocked, so those seats can't be used.

As previously mentioned on this thread, if the organisers of the event prior to the Peterborough game e-mail us (details on the website) we are happy to publish articles on the Trust website encourgaing fans to attend

If there was a safe standing section it would actually reduce capacity, the standing area itself would be unchanged, but you get a triangle shaped area from the back of the seated sections either side of the standing area whose view would be blocked, so those seats can't be used.

As previously mentioned on this thread, if the organisers of the event prior to the Peterborough game e-mail us (details on the website) we are happy to publish articles on the Trust website encourgaing fans to attend

The examples shown in "The Proposal" section of the http://www.safestandingroadshow.co.uk/ website do not seem to reduce capacity.

I fail to see that LCFC will be interested unless the club are satisfied that the King Power Stadium is structurally suitable.

What if they were just the back rows of a stand e.g the back 4/5 rows of the straight section of the East Stand you wouldn't have much of a triangle effect.

If you could post the E-mail address here please I will arrange something with the organisers.

There is no reason that capacity would be reduced. At worst it would remain the same. At best it could be increased by up to 80% (dependent on what any new regulations may say and the layout of the stand concerned).

At this stage, it's premature to try to guess precisely what may or may not be possible in any given stadium. The objective is to get the authorities to give clubs the freedom to look at rail seats and see if they would be a good option for them in their stadium (within certain regulations that the Sports Ground Safety Authority would define).

The more clubs that ask the authorities to look properly at rail seats and to define those criteria, the better.

If these Safe Standing designs include seats and clubs are legally required to be of all seater design why do the regulations need changing, as I understand it there's no legal requirement to stay seated that's down to the licencing authority .

So these could be fitted used in the current situation.

(Tongue in cheek) maybe as fans we should be campaigning for safer seating with barriers in front to stop us falling forward when we are legitimately allowed to stand and cheer.

There is no reason that capacity would be reduced. At worst it would remain the same. At best it could be increased by up to 80% (dependent on what any new regulations may say and the layout of the stand concerned).

At this stage, it's premature to try to guess precisely what may or may not be possible in any given stadium. The objective is to get the authorities to give clubs the freedom to look at rail seats and see if they would be a good option for them in their stadium (within certain regulations that the Sports Ground Safety Authority would define).

The more clubs that ask the authorities to look properly at rail seats and to define those criteria, the better.

Is it fair then to say that the King Power Stadium is structurally suitable then since you seem to imply that that is the case?

http://www.fsf.org.uk/news/Peterborough-United-We-back-FSF-Safe-Standing-Campaign.php

Peterborough United chief executive Bob Symns has given his backing to the Football Supporters’ Federation’s (FSF) Safe Standing Campaign. Symns even offered to use the club’s London Road ground to trial safe standing areas if Parliament and the football authorites would authorise it.

Symns made the announcement before the Posh’s friendly match at home to Aston Villa on Wednesday 1st August 2012. In a neat twist Villa’s chief executive Paul Faulkner is another supporter of safe standing.

Writing in the club’s programme, Symns said: “On Monday the 25th June I travelled to Hannover in Germany to visit the city’s Bundesliga football club Hannover 96.

“The object of the visit was to see firsthand the ‘rail seat’ system which is used extensively throughout Germany where supporters have the choice of whether to sit or stand.â€

Peterborough United are in the Championship and, should they avoid relegation during the 2012-2013 season, will be forced to close their ‘terraced’ ends or install seated accommodation. If the club were relegated to League One they would be allowed keep their terraces. Symns said this was “bizarreâ€.

Rules for Championship are “bizarreâ€

“The trip confirmed all my initial understanding of the rail-seat potential, our existing terraces are safe and well managed, but as of the summer they will be deemed unsafe. That’s unless, heaven forbid, we went down, in which case they would bizarrely be deemed still safe to use.

“Having seen a new option in Hannover, I am convinced that a standing area fitted with rail seats would be even safer still and I cannot see any logical reason why we should not be allowed to build a new London Road End incorporating such an area.

“I therefore fully support the FSF’s Safe Standing Campaign and hope that together we can persuade the powers that be to look seriously at the rail seat option. If they wanted to use London Road as a pilot site, we’d be more than happy to oblige!â€

Symns’ was accompanied on his trip to Germany by Richard Hodgson and Kevin Dawkins, both representatives of Peterborough City Council, and Adi Mowles, chairman of the Peterborough Independent Supporters’ Association. Symns visit was arranged by Jon Darch who runs the Safe Standing Roadshow.

Peterborough United are latest in a growing list of football figures to back safe standing areas. Earlier this year Aston Villa chief executive Paul Faulkner voiced his support while the Scottish Premier League has also said it would like to trial safe standing areas.

In July Derby County and Nigel Clough followed suit while Wembley architect John Barrow of Populous said safe standing areas could be introduced “without any problems at allâ€. Arsenal chief executive Ivan Gazidis also said he was “open†to safe standing.

Great news

Peter Daykin, the FSF’s safe standing co-ordinator, welcomed Symns’ comments: “It’s great news and the FSF is delighted to welcome Peterborough United aboard.

“Bob Symns is the latest in an ever-growing list of important football figures to back the FSF’s Safe Standing Campaign. It’s credit to Bob that he’s not only listened to fans, but took time out of his busy diary to head over to Germany and see what rail seats are all about for himself.

“There’s a real head of steam gathering behind safe standing and we hope those in positions of power take note – it’s not just fans who would like safe standing areas, so would many of the industry’s leading figures.â€

That's what I don't understand, how it can be ok in one division but not allowed in another?

How can it be argued logically its safe and legal for us to travel to a league 1 or 2 ground in a cup match, usually in larger numbers, and stand on a terrace but the same group of fans are in danger at larger better maintained grounds in our own division. The argument is flawed and has no factual back up.

We are still being punished for the antics of a tiny proportion of fans over 20 years ago.

The argument isn't just flawed, it's absolutely ridiculous.

I felt far safer during the Championship games at Peterborough where there were under 3000 on the terrace than I did in the League One game where there were over 4500 fans there, yet it is the former that will be illegal come May 2013.

The argument that the league in which the game is played somehow impacts upon the safety of the stand is nonsensical, surely if it is unsafe to stand in the top two divisions it is unsafe everywhere.

Archived