Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Year Of The Fox

Safestanding Roadshow Coming to Leicester- Confirmation

Ive a load of leaflets to give out on the day. Nothing lcfc related, just leaflets from the FSF.

Having printed off about 30 sheets of their petition format (and using all my dads ink lol) I have noticed that in signing the sheet and giving your email address you sign yourself to be a member of the FSF. Doesnt cost anything but it may deter people but I know for a fact that you do not get bombarded with junk mail

Ive a load of leaflets to give out on the day. Nothing lcfc related, just leaflets from the FSF.

Having printed off about 30 sheets of their petition format (and using all my dads ink lol) I have noticed that in signing the sheet and giving your email address you sign yourself to be a member of the FSF. Doesnt cost anything but it may deter people but I know for a fact that you do not get bombarded with junk mail

No bad thing, every fan should be a member in my view and it's free.

The magazine they send out free for the first couple months is a good read as well, worth the money after the introductory period.

Just sent Stringer this:

Hello again Ian,

Just wanted to confirm that we have finalised the details for next Saturday, and I would urge you to come down to the counting house around 11am, we have set aside the first hour for people such as yourself, the media, officials from the club and local Police and Council officers.

I would also like to extend and invite to Mr Young after hearing his comment last week at one of the pre season games: "I'm not an advocate for bringing standing back, we've moved on from that." These are exactly the type of people we need to inform before the campaign can get any further.

If you could confirm your attendance either way as I will not be able to get there before 1 o clock, and I can tell someone to expect you, either one of the organisers or the Roadshow staff. I know you must be very busy on match days so I will understand if you can't make it.

Thanks again,

Tom.

But I got an out of office email back saying he wouldn't be checking his emails till mid august, which could be a stumbling block. I'll post back if and when I hear back.[/font]

May have missed something but I understand no one from the club could be persuaded to attend?

Dismal form from the club if so. What would it cost them to simply listen to the fans for an hour or two? Has anyone actually received any direct correspondence from the club on this?

May have missed something but I understand no one from the club could be persuaded to attend?

Dismal form from the club if so. What would it cost them to simply listen to the fans for an hour or two? Has anyone actually received any direct correspondence from the club on this?

Ive not no though I'll try tomorrow. Would love to ask Pearson his thoughts

I'll be able to get hold of him no danger ;)

will you be down on Saturday mate?

If Stringer can be persuaded to come down, I see no reason why he couldnt pop in a couple of cheeky questions in the post match interview.

Yes mate I will.

Just got a message back from stringer, he's unsure as to whether he'll be able to make it but he said he'll plug it on the air tomorrow night.

Yes mate I will.

Just got a message back from stringer, he's unsure as to whether he'll be able to make it but he said he'll plug it on the air tomorrow night.

Thats fantastic news.

On a side note, I've been corresponding with Andrew Bridgen a fair bit. He seems to fully agree with what I say. He asked the question to the minister of sport who gave a standard reply. Says there is no appetite amongst fans for standing areas. I'll try and put the email up sometime. Here was my reply to which he has said he'll forward on to the minister

Thanks for that. The problem is though, noone when giving these very generic replies seems to have bothered questioning the fans. I'm sure in some examples. clubs won't be interested as they would possibly have to lower ticket prices for a terraced area. But at grunt level, the fans who pay their money to watch the games, I would say the majority up and down the country feel they would want a choice whether to stand or sit at a game. There are some I've spoken to who have simply given up on hoping for a change so therefore won't attempt to try and do anything about it.

Its exactly the same reply we get from the club. Not sure whether you seen the Mercury last week but here's the extract from it.

A campaign to reintroduce standing areas to football grounds will visit Leicester next month. The Safe Standing Roadshow has been invited to give a demonstration of rail seats – a system widely used in Germany and Austria – before Leicester City's first match of the season against Peterborough United on August 18. City season ticket holder Stuart Ellison has arranged the demonstration at The Counting House pub, in Freemans Park, Leicester. City mayor Sir Peter Soulsby, North West Leicestershire MP Andrew Bridgen, police and Leicester City officials have been invited to the demonstration, which will be given to home and away fans. Mr Ellison, 25, of Coalville, said: "The concept matches what is used in the Bundesliga in Germany and has been publicly backed by Aston Villa and Derby County. "Some fellow supporters and I have arranged for the roadshow to visit to get more fans aware of their ideas. "Fans who are sitting down get fed up if other fans stand up in front of them. "If you had a segregated area where people can stand, you would eliminate that problem." Mr Ellison has a season ticket in L block at the King Power Stadium. Fans in that part of the ground regularly stand up en masse despite it being illegal. They said the law was not rigorously enforced by stewards. Mr Ellison said: "People get season tickets for that section of the ground because they know they can stand there and people are now flocking to adjoining blocks. "I would hate it if they made us sit down in L block – I would hand my season ticket in." Peter Daykin, Safe Standing campaign co-ordinator with the Football Supporters' Federation, said: "It's still illegal but there is no evidence that standing in properly designated areas is unsafe. "It will take a brave minister to put their name behind this, but the only way forward is to have a properly measured trial and be open-minded and realistic." Jon Darch, who has been touring the country with a sample rail structure, said: "I've visited many clubs, some behind closed doors because they're worried that if they publicly expressed support, the authorities might take a look at parts of the ground where fans are allowed to stand. "Stewards at many clubs currently have the futile job of getting fans to sit down." City fan Sam Heald, 22, of Loughborough, said: "I would like to see dedicated standing areas if it was done the right way and safely." Gary Jacques, 48, of Counteshorpe, said: "Ground safety has improved and there is very little trouble. "More than 3,000 City fans stood at the recent Hinckley United friendly and it was a fantastic atmosphere." A spokesman for Leicester City said: "The conditions of King Power Stadium's safety licence, as prescribed under the Football Spectators Act 1989, require all parts of the stadium to be all-seater." Lord Justice Taylor recommended compulsory seating after the 1989 Hillsborough Disaster, in which 96 died.

It's just an automated response which skirts completely around the safestanding model, as they know that should they engage in any debate they simply do not have the answers to back up their stance.

As for the Minister of States comments, how is he able to classify fans from the first two divisions differently to fans from the lower league teams. For instance, on Tuesday next week we play Torquay away. Had the draw given us a home tie at Leicester then theoretically our fans would have to sit (they would certainly have seats behind them even if they chose not to use them) yet the same fans now going down to Torquay are legally able to stand?

The same goes for grounds used as pop concerts. Rugby is another one. You're allowed to stand at the rugby, just a mile from the King Power Stadium. I'm not a rugby fan myself but I do know that the Tigers have used our ground before for games. I'd be very interested to know whether they were made to follow LCFCs ground rules or not.

The argument against safe standing areas in football has so many holes in it I just havent the time to pick at them all.

Sorry for the rant, but I'd be very interested to see whether Minister of State has any further replies to my points. Incidentally, here is a levelled view of Lord Taylor's report and the Hillsborough disaster, taken from the Leicester Mercury the same day my article was published...

In the wake of the Hillsborough stadium disaster in 1989 the decision to introduce all-seater stadia in the top two divisions of the English football league was understandable. It came from a desire to ensure that a tragedy which claimed the lives of 96 people should never happen again. The thinking was that all-seater stadia would reduce the potential for the type of crush which caused catastrophe at Hillsborough. However, many football fans feel that the loss of standing areas has robbed matches of some of their atmosphere. Now a campaign group is visiting football grounds – and is due in Leicester next month – to promote a system used in Germany to create safe standing areas. These make use of "rail seats" which, as the name suggests, comprise a series of rails at which spectators can stand. Obviously, we should be very careful not to do anything which compromises safety. However, it is worth noting that the Hillsborough disaster was not caused by standing but by a number of other factors and that the Taylor report into the tragedy stated that standing areas were not intrinsically unsafe. Furthermore, standing areas continue to be used without problem in many lower league grounds, and at Leicester Tigers rugby stadium in Welford Road where the Crumbie terrace helps to give the ground its very special atmosphere. The idea of "rail seats" in the top football divisions therefore seems a very sensible way forward which would maintain high safety standards while giving fans the chance to stand up and make some noise. Here is the key point, times have changed, fans attitudes have changed to the rowdy hooligan days of the 70s and 80s. Unfortunately the views of those who count still seem to be stuck in the 80s.

Jim at the club has told me he would pass on an E-mail I sent to Susan Whelan and others. I have no reason to disbelieve that he passed it on as he is a sound bloke. Unfortunately as yet I have received no reply so sadly it looks like nobody from the club will attend.

Good to see the club's idea of public relations is still a massive, obstructive joke. Morons.

This is where the real test will lie for the campaign after Saturday (which I have no doubt will be a success). Keeping pressure on the club to the point where they're forced to tell us what they really think.

Good work, all! It's great to see so much effort going into this.

The sort of stock answers about "no interest" from Hugh Robertson are precisely what events like Saturday's are out to dispel. Clearly with clubs like Villa, Derby and Posh expressing public interest, this DOES exist. Lower down the leagues, Brentford expressed a keen interest this week. More clubs will do likewise over the coming weeks, including another from the Premier League in 10 days time.

I very much hope that YOUR club will send along a representative on Saturady or accept my invitation - posted the week before last - to have a private viewing on Friday afternoon.

I just want to say that I'm fully behind what you guys are doing. Unfortunately, I've been unable to get this Saturday off work and will be unable to attend. I'm sure that this can also be a success though and if the safe standing roadshow visits the south of England at any time after this, I will be more than happy to pop along. Best of luck, I really hope you get somewhere with this.

Jim at the club has told me he would pass on an E-mail I sent to Susan Whelan and others. I have no reason to disbelieve that he passed it on as he is a sound bloke. Unfortunately as yet I have received no reply so sadly it looks like nobody from the club will attend.

Don't forget that Jim's role at the club has now changed and the previous impression from a lot of people on this forum that he is a 'sound bloke' may have had to be sacrificied now that he has taken this new role.

Supporter liaison officer (or whatever the title is) requires the person to spout the club's official crap/party line/propaganda. I'm sure Jim, personally, would love standing back at the ground but will have to go with whatever the club thinks (which I would guess would be play ignorant until every club in the country has it)

Archived