Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bluebird_in_Peace

Anthony Gerrard Cardiff to Leicester

Whenever I've seen him play he struck me as a no nonsense solid defender, who out of Walsh,Elliott,Prior or Taggart were blessed with pace or skill?

Wouldn't be too unhappy about this! But why are people so adamant that pace is everything. I can remember when Matt Elliott and Gerry Taggart frequently outpaced their opponents...

:thumbup:

Wouldn't be too unhappy about this! But why are people so adamant that pace is everything. I can remember when Matt Elliott and Gerry Taggart frequently outpaced their opponents...

I don't think that 2 from 3 of those legends would get us out of the bottom half of the championship now, let alone do well in the prem .... the game has changed.

I don't think that 2 from 3 of those legends would get us out of the bottom half of the championship now, let alone do well in the prem .... the game has changed.

It has but I still don't think pace is everything. My point is that clever defenders should be able to adapt to the style of the opponent and use common sense rather than having to rely on pace to get us out of a situation that could have been solved by competent positioning and anticipation.

It has but I still don't think pace is everything. My point is that clever defenders should be able to adapt to the style of the opponent and use common sense rather than having to rely on pace to get us out of a situation that could have been solved by competent positioning and anticipation.

Also believe Morgan & Whitbread are comfortable on the ball and Konch n DeLaet have pace n nouse to sweep up when caught out.

I agree entirely, quality readers of the game like the Tunch in recent years or Keown going back a bit further .... neither had pace but both made up for it by being in the right place and seeming to be able to predict the future with their positioning!!

But I wouldn't have said that Walsh, Taggs or especially Elliot, were clever or great positionally, they were blood and thunder brave traditional centre halves. They'd last about 20 minutes of most games these days prior to seeing red!!!

I don't agree with that - I loved "proper" football where being a centre half meant being hard .... But now it's either be very experienced and great positionally, or be fast to make up for it .... It worries me when we sign a young but slow player - but I know nothing about the guy other than what I've read on here from a Cardiff fan - so maybe that's wrong!!!

Decent player for the alleged price, ample back-up and good enough to exert some pressure on the other defenders. Bit of an ugly c unt as-well which is what we needed as the team was starting to look a tad sexy. I've always said there needs to be a balance between good looking / ugly and straight / gay and Pearson is doing the business

You really are a weirdo lol lol :thumbup:

I agree entirely, quality readers of the game like the Tunch in recent years or Keown going back a bit further .... neither had pace but both made up for it by being in the right place and seeming to be able to predict the future with their positioning!!

But I wouldn't have said that Walsh, Taggs or especially Elliot, were clever or great positionally, they were blood and thunder brave traditional centre halves. They'd last about 20 minutes of most games these days prior to seeing red!!!

I don't agree with that - I loved "proper" football where being a centre half meant being hard .... But now it's either be very experienced and great positionally, or be fast to make up for it .... It worries me when we sign a young but slow player - but I know nothing about the guy other than what I've read on here from a Cardiff fan - so maybe that's wrong!!!

fair point Waller , however I do believe NP will make us solid but also seems to have introduced some skill, quality and frightening pace I really am starting to like the look of whats happening.........time will tell :chant:

fair point Waller , however I do believe NP will make us solid but also seems to have introduced some skill, quality and frightening pace I really am starting to like the look of whats happening.........time will tell :chant:

It certainly will!!!

And although I'm yet to be excited by any individual we've signed, i do agree that collectively we seem to have subtly strengthened the squad .... So starting to think that maybe it'll be OK, and I won't need to borrow your specs!!!!

It certainly will!!!

And although I'm yet to be excited by any individual we've signed, i do agree that collectively we seem to have subtly strengthened the squad .... So starting to think that maybe it'll be OK, and I won't need to borrow your specs!!!!

Hope so :D

This would be a decent signing imo. Always played well when I've watched him.

Can't see him resting on his laurels here he'll definitely be trying to win a place in the starting line up.

..........and as for his attitude, he's got a couple of young un's now so let's hope they had a calming influence on him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Gerrard

2010–2011 → Hull City (loan) 42 (5)

Hull City (loan)

Out of favour at the start of the 2010–11 season behind Gábor Gyepes and Hudson, Gerrard joined Hull City on 31 August 2010 on a season long loan. One provision of the move allowed Gerrard to play against Cardiff in the forthcoming clash between the two teams, in exchange for Seyi Olofinjana, on loan from Hull to Cardiff, to be allowed to turn out for the Bluebirds.[11] Gerrard scored his first goal for the club in the 2–2 draw against Middlesbrough at the Riverside Stadium on 27 November 2010.[12] On 12 February 2011, he scored his second goal, a header from a Andy Dawson corner, in the 1–0 win against Preston North End at the KC Stadium.[13] Gerrard scored his 3rd goal of the season against Derby County, which proved to be the winning goal of the match, with the game ending 1–0 to Hull City at Pride Park.[14] His fourth goal for the East Riding of Yorkshire club came in the 2–4 home defeat to Middlesbrough after a long range free-kick.[15] He scored his fifth goal of the season at the KC Stadium against Crystal Palace.[16]

On 9 May 2011, it was announced that Gerrard had been named by Hull City's fans as their player of the season for the 2010–11 season.[17] The following day, Gerrard returned to Cardiff, but was unable to play in the play-offs but resumed training with the club.[18]

Obviously likes working under Nigel & Co

Could be a valuable acquisition :chant:

Really useful signing. He like Whitbread will need game time though so should see him feature a couple of times this coming week. If neither are match fit by the Torquay game I guess we will see a back 4 of De Laet, Moore, Morgan and Konch. Big chance for Liam.

Same as every centre back Pearson signs then one dimensional. He seems to only sign center backs that he sees himself in, but footballs moved on and more is expected of the back four than during the 80's/90's.

So what is expected from a centre back now compared to the 90's?

If you are going to say passing then Whitbread is supposed to be a good passer and very much a ball playing CB.

Did Sol have the qualities you like? Because with him at CB our defence has been poorer than with "one dimensional" defenders like Brown etc.

Archived