Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxfanazer

Too predictable?

Let me start by saying I'm a big NP fan and I'm excited about the direction he is taken the club in.

Just wanted to get some thoughts on his tactical consistency. The system we are playing is clearly working at home and we are creating loads of chances whilst looking solid at the back. Drinkwater is allowing king a bit of freedom which Kingy is taking full advantage of so far this season. We are playing with good width and the movement and work rate of the forwards are causing havoc to oppositions defence.

Away from home, is it working? Should NP adapt a new system for away games or should we try and work even harder to perfect the system we play at home? Or should it work on a game by game basis?

We have outplayed the opposition in both away games so far, but we haven't won, I don't think there is much wrong that a bit of experience and tweaking won't correct.

In both games we were on top, and conceded to their first attack, arguably because we were pushing too far forwards in the search of a goal.

For you to start this thread I guess you don't feel the tactics/formation is/are working too well away from home?

If so, I think today's match may well be a good yardstick and let's be honest, we don't know how he will set up? I suspect it will be a flat 4-4-2 though.

It may be better to have this discussion after the game?

My thoughts on this are well known and posted after the Charlton game... I believe we don't defend we'll enough, as a team, when away from home.

But let's see how we do today...

:thumbup:

We have outplayed the opposition in both away games so far, but we haven't won, I don't think there is much wrong that a bit of experience and tweaking won't correct.

In both games we were on top, and conceded to their first attack, arguably because we were pushing too far forwards in the search of a goal.

Yeah I agree to be honest. Just a bit worrying when we do concede from the oppositions first attack. Would you put that more down to individual errors than tactical frailty then?

For you to start this thread I guess you don't feel the tactics/formation is/are working too well away from home?

If so, I think today's match may well be a good yardstick and let's be honest, we don't know how he will set up? I suspect it will be a flat 4-4-2 though.

It may be better to have this discussion after the game?

My thoughts on this are well known and posted after the Charlton game... I believe we don't defend we'll enough, as a team, when away from home.

But let's see how we do today...

I think in attack it works really well, some of the best football I've seen us play post O'neill. Defensively I'm not so sure but it could just be individual errors. Today will be a test!

I think in attack it works really well, some of the best football I've seen us play post O'neill. Defensively I'm not so sure but it could just be individual errors. Today will be a test!

Individual errors are a part of the game. You can never rule them out.

And they will happen more, the more pressure the back 5 are put under....

Bamba, Mills, Peltier, SSL, DeLaet, Kasper, Konch have all demonstrated they can make individual errors.

My opinion is they will lessen if the back 5 are supported better, defensively.

Anyway, let's see what happens today.

Looking forward to it.

Yeah I agree to be honest. Just a bit worrying when we do concede from the oppositions first attack. Would you put that more down to individual errors than tactical frailty then?

It's hard to say, BWP, Gomes and Pedersen, all scored with quality finishes, that could have been dealt with better defensively and on other days wouldn't have found the corner like a homing missile and ended up high and wide. But it is hard to disagree with those that say we shouldn't have allowed them space, but we were on top pushing forward and looking for goals, would you sacrifice that for sitting back playing cautious football?

Maybe we should be a bit more cautious away from home, but then we risk inviting teams onto us and putting ourselves under pressure. I don't know if formation or tactical changes would improve things, or risk upsetting the good performances we have been putting in.

I don't think Wolves away is the time to start experimenting.

It's hard to say, BWP, Gomes and Pedersen, all scored with quality finishes, that could have been dealt with better defensively and on other days wouldn't have found the corner like a homing missile and ended up high and wide. But it is hard to disagree with those that say we shouldn't have allowed them space, but we were on top pushing forward and looking for goals, would you sacrifice that for sitting back playing cautious football?

Maybe we should be a bit more cautious away from home, but then we risk inviting teams onto us and putting ourselves under pressure. I don't know if formation or tactical changes would improve things, or risk upsetting the good performances we have been putting in.

I don't think Wolves away is the time to start experimenting.

Pretty much summed up the way I feel about it. No I wouldn't change the way we are are attacking at all, better than going out with a wimper. Really hope we win today!

Col we are talking Nigel "442" Pearson here, is there anything else?

Dropping James between the two fours and one up front? Can u see him going for something like that?

I don't think we create enough clear cut chances. If you think back to our last match, we took the game to Blackpool and were arguably on top, but the nearest we got to a chance I can think of was Vardy clipped over the top but quite wide of the goal. He got a shot away but it was barely a half chance. First time Blackpool came forward they played a little interchange in the edge of the box and Taylor-Fletcher slipped the ball through to Ince and he was in, centre of the goal, practically one on one with Schmeichel. That's why a lot of teams score with their first attack against us, because we dominate and attack but never really get a clear chance on goal, whilst they do. (I'm not saying we never create any, I know we had a couple against Blackburn before they scored, but for the amount we attack compared to amount we create is disproportional.) It's also why when our fans have watched a game live, and then watch the highlights later we can't understand why the highlights make it look like the other team were on top, but all the highlights will show is real chances, not 20 clips of Leicester messing up a cross or losing the ball 20 yards from goal or flashing a wild shot over the bar from a stupidly tight angle.

i was at the blackpool game i could not disagree anymore they where the much more dominate side i can could see why holloway lost control at the end. the penalty was probly a bit of luck we deserved but the crowd was influinceing the ref by this point and i think he felt the pressure in giving us a decision.

Col we are talking Nigel "442" Pearson here, is there anything else?

Dropping James between the two fours and one up front? Can u see him going for something like that?

Well yes, what about the 4-5-1/4-3-3 he played at times in the play-off season?

Which is 3 from 5 so far...... Over reaction....really? Is this good enough? No progress, in fact going backwards? Already 4 points off a play off place....

Yeah and two of those are going to be two of the toughest away games we have all season. Do you think Southampton are panicking because they've been battered by Man United, Man City and Arsenal? We've also beaten the league's form team. If you think our seasons over after 5 games, you're mental.

Yeah and two of those are going to be two of the toughest away games we have all season. Do you think Southampton are panicking because they've been battered by Man United, Man City and Arsenal? We've also beaten the league's form team. If you think our seasons over after 5 games, you're mental.

I don't think it's over necessarily, however what I want to see is consistency, the one ingredient that has been missing for some time. I can't see it. We are consistent at giving away sloppy goals and losing away from home though!

I don't buy all this ' they need time to gel' rubbish. Look at forest, a bit of cash, new boss and loads of new players... Unbeaten and according to their fans playing some fabulous football.

And I don't think you can compare Southampton. Their goal for this season will be to finish 4th bottom, our goal is to finish top!

I don't think it's over necessarily, however what I want to see is consistency, the one ingredient that has been missing for some time. I can't see it. We are consistent at giving away sloppy goals and losing away from home though!

I don't buy all this ' they need time to gel' rubbish. Look at forest, a bit of cash, new boss and loads of new players... Unbeaten and according to their fans playing some fabulous football.

And I don't think you can compare Southampton. Their goal for this season will be to finish 4th bottom, our goal is to finish top!

Never ever going to happen under this management imo I expect we will win these 2 home games then loose to Middlesborough and then the cycle continues...

Archived