Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
chris_lcfc_85

Table after 8 games last season

Fair point, and as my posts on here today show, I'm as optimistic as anyone and I believe we will come good, but people need to realise that Reading last season were the exception rather than the rule. We can't count on being poor for half a season and then going on an unbelievable winning run - we need to address the problems in our team quickly and get back on track. I believe we can do this, everything is in place, only some fine tuning is needed.

While I think it's ridiculous to suggest sacking the manager and making wholesale changes, it's also dangerous to just think 'oh it doesn't matter if we drop a load of points - look at Reading last year!' as well. Reading got promoted despite their terrible start to the season, most promoted teams of the past few years have started well and been there or thereabouts for the entire season. We need to play ourselves into contention sooner rather than later and not rely on 'doing a Reading'.

Reading had done very well the year before though, so their players and management had the confidence that they'd turn things around. History suggests that teams who start badly, rarely challenge for promotion and given our history in recent years that's definitely the case.

Changing manager this early rarely guarantees promotion either so it's a case of just being prepared for another frustrating, miserable season. Love it.

Reading were rebuilding after losing several players in the summer to supposedly "bigger" clubs (including Leicester City).

They also had a manager with a proven record of achievement who had taken them to a play-off final the previous season.

The situations are not comparable at all.

I think this is my favourite thread every season. We always end up mid table/bottom half by about October and there will always be some stupidly optimistic buggers who go "yeah but Sunderland were bottom for a bit and went up, and look at Reading last year!!"

We're not Reading, and more often than not if you start of shit you don't go up.

Reading were rebuilding after losing several players in the summer to supposedly "bigger" clubs (including Leicester City).

They also had a manager with a proven record of achievement who had taken them to a play-off final the previous season.

Has he!!!??? He got them to the play off, thats it. NP got us to the play off semi final, only penalties stopped us from going one further.

Reading brought in a few proven players at this level and stuck faith with their side despite losing a few key players which included Shane Long. Its called Stability, something we need

I think this is my favourite thread every season. We always end up mid table/bottom half by about October and there will always be some stupidly optimistic buggers who go "yeah but Sunderland were bottom for a bit and went up, and look at Reading last year!!"

We're not Reading, and more often than not if you start of shit you don't go up.

O'Neill got off to a poor start and look where we went from there!!!

Granted this sort of achievement isnt that common but its just proof that contemplating sacking a manager at this stage would be daft, laughable and pointless

This thread reads to me like a lame excuse for our current league position.

Let's look at some stuff:

1. Pearson inherited a team that some say 'wow' to. Beckford, Nugent, Kasper, Danns ( considered by some as one of our best players last season).

2. He got them not too far into the season and had more than enough time to still mount a promotion campaign.

3. He's shedded quite a few, allegedly to reduce the wage bill but also, I think, because he didn't rate them

4. He's also continued to spend money. Vardy, James didn't come 'cheap' even in today's market.

Let's stop bullshitting and be honest. I am a fan of Pearson and was overjoyed when he returned. But, having done what he has done, with the time he has had, yesterday's performance was fookin rubbish.

I saw RDL and thought he was no better than Peltier. I saw Moore and thought he is not as good, defensively as either Bamba or Mills.

And Drinky yesterday, was no better than Wellens.

These are my honest thoughts. I'm still a Pearson fan but still don't think we will get promoted this season as I've consistently said.

But please Nigel, let's start having more of a clue with what we are doing away from home..... Please...

Until Wolves lost Doumbia yesterday we were gash!! And with what Nige has done so far and the time he has had, just not good enough.

No excuses I'm afraid.

Check out Reading, all is not lost.... lol!

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/14963071

Yes, and that was after 8 games as well, which is another 60% on top of the games that we have played so far. It's far, far too early to judge this season yet.

As I have said before, out of the 5 games we have played, we have already played the top 2, who else has? We have played 60% of our games away, played two of the 3 relegated premier sides already, away I might add.

After all that we have still been pretty much the best side on the pitch for most of every game, despite none of our strikers hitting form yet, and probably not having our first choice defence start a single game yet either.

Over all there is still a lot to be positive about.

I'm prepared to give him time because we've been through too many managers in recent years and we're still shit, however in the 10 months he's been here we've not improved at all. Our away from has deteriorated more than our home record has improved, so stability only goes so far if there's no signs of improvement.

Yeah, it's not like we haven't lost players over the summer & rebuilt

Or that NP didn't take us into the playoffs last time he was here for a summer & full season

Completely incomparable :rolleyes:

The one thing that in incomparable would be fan reactions from the two clubs, pretty sure Reading were disappointed to lose Mills & Long etc and they were probably disappointed to struggle for the first quarter of the season (by the way, something we're not even halfway through yet) but I bet a vocal minority never bleated on about McDermott

Why are people prepared to give him time it seems the reason is more out of self pity than anything else, if we don't start getting a winning run soon I am talking 3-4 games than I don't see what NP is delivering what he has done so far in his second spell smells of inconsistency.

Every season we have this thread, look at Southampton, look at West Ham. You need a strong start to the season to get things going, don't fool yourselves into thinking what we did last year and then end up 9th again.

I agree, if we are still in this position after 10 games, then things will look pretty bad, but not 5 games, considering what I have said above.

Looking at the next 5 fixtures, you would expect things to improve from here, so if they don't then we will have problems.

In fact, after the Bristol home game there is a two week break, we all know what that could mean for Pearson if things are not looking better. Whether I like it or not, I think that is when the owners would act.

BUT, does the squad have the mentality to get their head down and start working?

This is what the next 5 games will tell you, and why it's still too early to tell yet.

I've not been on the forum yesterday and don't intend on reading most of the garbage written but I'm guessing this is in response to the moaners?

I'm not worried at all for several reasons:

1) Our home form is exceptional - particularly under NP... we've really turned it into a fortress.

2) We have been carrying home performances to away matches now.. just lacking the results to match. [Don't forget these were against 3 sides who imo will be challenging for play offs at least this season]

3) Our midfield is looking a lot stronger than last year.

4) We have a young, disciplined and hard working squad. If we can emulate the spirit of the most recent play off season, theres no reason why this current squad couldn't take it further.

Why are people prepared to give him time it seems the reason is more out of self pity than anything else, if we don't start getting a winning run soon I am talking 3-4 games than I don't see what NP is delivering what he has done so far in his second spell smells of inconsistency.

Because im damn right fed up of seeing a new manager in the dugout. Its got us nowhere and im prepared to see us take a step back before we take 2 steps forward by giving a manager sufficient time with HIS team.

The club would be the laughing stock of this country if we sacked another manager at this stage

Because some people like to look beyond the next 5 minutes into the future.

Name me one example where constant chopping and changing of the manager has worked out?

Should Southampton sack Adkins because he has not won a game yet, despite their difficult starting fixtures?

Archived