Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
daddylonglegs

Neil Danns

Neil Danns did nothing wrong to be dropped like that in my opinion, he improved dramatically in the second half of last season and was playing really well.

He has so much energy and is capable of putting in a tackle, but sometimes he runs around like a headless chicken and is very weak and his passing is awful.

But due to him improving last season, I thought he would be a starter this season, but to now see he is fourth choice is a bit of a surprise.

However he isn't a player that I would really like to see in the starting 11, there is a lot of players I would be disappointed to see dropped but Danns isn't one of them.

NEEDS to be a better player to get into this team would be a better way of phrasing it.

Thats not what I meant. Just because Danns isn't in the team currently doesn't make him a particularly bad player. Should he come in, I reckon he could do a job.

I think people need to be a little careful. We are currently playing very well, but its a long season. All it needs is a serious injury to one or two of our better players (Knocky, Drinky for example) and we will need to use our, rather thin, squad to fill-in.

Whether this be Danns, Wellens or Waggy...it may well be that they all have some part to play in City's season. Yes, the current team is the best one IMO... but it could change.

Danns can play in a number of positions in our current formation though. As one of the two CMs or as part of the attacking three up top (I am not saying that he should play there but that he can if it was needed). Futacs can play as the lone striker and thats it and we have four other players who can play that role all with more speed and movement which is what the way we are currently playing is based on. I think having Danns on the benchoffers us more options.

Its not a case of who he can replace in the current formation. Futacs can be deployed as a plan B, something that could well need in the future. He is a different striker to Vardy, Schlupp, Nugent or Waghorn, so if it isn't working we can change something rather than bringing on a like for like replacement

Neil Danns is the 'new' Ritchie Wellens........ ;)

Another player who is, basically, a con. Both players are 'showy' in different ways, they do things to impress the crowd without really impacting the game in a positive manner.

In reality they play the game for themselves, not the team.

I find it incomprehensible that anyone would think they are worth a place in our squad at the current time and although Danns has some ability he has a lot to do to show that he is the kind of player that is required.

Danns is not even remotely like Wellens.

Blimey Dave, you even have to have a stab at Wellens via a post about Danns.

Has everyone forgotten that Wellens was City's player of the season under Pearson first time round?

He's 32 now and his legs are going. That don't mean you have to consider the man 'a con'.. nor do you have to label Danns in such a way either.

:(

I have never rated Wellens as you well know..... ;)

In the playoff season he was new, so it took a while to get his measure. Central midfield was a weakness all season and never properly sorted and Wellens was instrumental in that.

Wellens was not player of the year under NFP, that was Hobbs. Just another of the ways he somehow appears to be better than he is.

His best period was during our good run in January and February of Sven's first year, somehow that got him player of the year, presumably because Naughton was on loan....... :dunno:

The 'con' is that, somehow he convinces some of our supporters that he is an important player when in reality he is not, I find that hard to understand so, from time to time, I try and explain my views.

Danns is not even remotely like Wellens.

He is in the way that he polarises opinion on here and elsewhere, like Wellens he somehow manages to convince a fair few that he is a decent player when in fact he brings nothing positive to our play...... :nono:

If I was to offer an explanation of this, I would say that, for a time towards the end of last season he was one of the only players who actually put in some effort, most of the rest were taking the piss.

He is in the way that he polarises opinion on here and elsewhere, like Wellens he somehow manages to convince a fair few that he is a decent player when in fact he brings nothing positive to our play...... :nono:

If I was to offer an explanation of this, I would say that, for a time towards the end of last season he was one of the only players who actually put in some effort, most of the rest were taking the piss.

But with Danns and Wellens being very different players, they can't be the same in that way.

Danns cons people because he runs around a lot and is a powerful imposing figure. And, very rarely, he makes a match winning contribution. He had a run of good form at the back end of last season but even then you could see he lacks real technical quality.

Wellens however hasn't conned anyone, he's evidently been a better player than Danns for us - even if you ignore his many dominant displays in his first two seasons and obvious superior technical skill and, specifically, passing; you can't ignore the fact that he was towards the top of the assists table.

But with Danns and Wellens being very different players, they can't be the same in that way.

Danns cons people because he runs around a lot and is a powerful imposing figure. And, very rarely, he makes a match winning contribution. He had a run of good form at the back end of last season but even then you could see he lacks real technical quality.

Wellens however hasn't conned anyone, he's evidently been a better player than Danns for us - even if you ignore his many dominant displays in his first two seasons and obvious superior technical skill and, specifically, passing; you can't ignore the fact that he was towards the top of the assists table.

Sorry Kitch' but that is where I disagree.

I find him, at his best, a journeyman. You say he is a 'powerful imposing player', I say he is a 'flat track bully', all bluster and posturing.

I know you disagree and will point out your reasons and that is fine. I just look at the quality that Drinkwater, James and King have brought to our midfield this season and dispair at what we have had to put up with in recent seasons.

Anyway, agree to disagree on this one........?

:whistle:

I find him, at his best, a journeyman. You say he is a 'powerful imposing player', I say he is a 'flat track bully', all bluster and posturing.

I know you disagree and will point out your reasons and that is fine. I just look at the quality that Drinkwater, James and King have brought to our midfield this season and dispair at what we have had to put up with in recent seasons.

I will, I actually wholeheartedly agree with what Kitch said.

Wellens did, however, fade in games last season. He looked like a player who had fitness issues and wasn't able to dominate the midfield. I challenged critics to say Wellens should be dropped when we have better.

In Drinkwater and (a rejuvenated) King I think we finally have found better, but in terms of quality (but not necessarily other attributes like energy) Wellens has always been ahead of Danns IMO.

I will, I actually wholeheartedly agree with what Kitch said.

Wellens did, however, fade in games last season. He looked like a player who had fitness issues and wasn't able to dominate the midfield. I challenged critics to say Wellens should be dropped when we have better.

In Drinkwater and (a rejuvenated) King I think we finally have found better, but in terms of quality (but not necessarily other attributes like energy) Wellens has always been ahead of Danns IMO.

Hi Joby, the thing is, I find it hard to recall where Wellens has 'dominated' for any period...... :dunno:

His time at the club has exactly coincided with a period where I have seen a lot of games and I really struggle to see what some people see in some players.

It becomes the 'perceived wisdom' and is often not challenged, for example it is the 'perceived wisdom' that Gallagher doesn't track back and defend but I never really saw that, I always thought he did quite well defensively.

Until the fall out with the fans at the end of last season I thought he was always worth a place in the starting XI..... :dunno:

I'd certainly have Drinky and King (who's also played in recent seasons I might add ;) ) ahead of him now, probably James as well although I haven't seen too much of him. Wellens was very poor last season, I was the first to admit that, but he was a different kettle of fish in the previous two, in my opinion anyway.

But yeh, like you say, lets just drop it ;)

Hi Joby, the thing is, I find it hard to recall where Wellens has 'dominated' for any period...... :dunno:

His time at the club has exactly coincided with a period where I have seen a lot of games and I really struggle to see what some people see in some players.

It becomes the 'perceived wisdom' and is often not challenged, for example it is the 'perceived wisdom' that Gallagher doesn't track back and defend but I never really saw that, I always thought he did quite well defensively.

Until the fall out with the fans at the end of last season I thought he was always worth a place in the starting XI..... :dunno:

For me it's just a question of quality.

Danns isn't a quality player. Yes he has attributes in terms of effort and endeavour, but not in technique. That doesn't necessarily mean he's a bad player. Steve Walsh is a fine example of a player who made the absolute best use of limited ability to be a very fine player indeed. But SW is probably the exception to the norm.

I understand the perceived wisdom argument, but I believe that is what exactly happened to Wellens last season. Everybody began to say that Wellens was hopeless and then many more jumped on the bandwagon. Now he's perceived to be crap.

I saw Wellens last season as a player with good quality and technique who didn't have the required fitness to dominate in midfield like he did in his earlier career here. Whether that's a long term thing or he'll never be the player he was only time will tell.

But a Wellens of two or three seasons ago surrounded, as he would be now, by better quality players would be an asset to the team. IMO

I'd certainly have Drinky and King (who's also played in recent seasons I might add ;) ) ahead of him now, probably James as well although I haven't seen too much of him. Wellens was very poor last season, I was the first to admit that, but he was a different kettle of fish in the previous two, in my opinion anyway.

But yeh, like you say, lets just drop it ;)

Save it for a beer or nine........ :whistle:

Danns is a good player but not in the system we are now playing. Although I like the guy I feel he is surplus to requirements at the moment. Loan him to a team who might consider him a significant addition but one who's system he will detriment in reality. Ideally.

For me it's just a question of quality.

Danns isn't a quality player. Yes he has attributes in terms of effort and endeavour, but not in technique. That doesn't necessarily mean he's a bad player. Steve Walsh is a fine example of a player who made the absolute best use of limited ability to be a very fine player indeed. But SW is probably the exception to the norm.

I understand the perceived wisdom argument, but I believe that is what exactly happened to Wellens last season. Everybody began to say that Wellens was hopeless and then many more jumped on the bandwagon. Now he's perceived to be crap.

I saw Wellens last season as a player with good quality and technique who didn't have the required fitness to dominate in midfield like he did in his earlier career here. Whether that's a long term thing or he'll never be the player he was only time will tell.

But a Wellens of two or three seasons ago surrounded, as he would be now, by better quality players would be an asset to the team. IMO

Wellens has been with us for just three seasons, coming in at the start of our playoff season.

That season he was a part of a team that overachieved due to a cast iron team spirit and a tough, no nonsense approach. Wellens played a part in this, but a fairly modest one, he was bought to replace Oakley but was so average that NFP had to bring him, Oakley, back to help him out.

Second season he was instrumental in the disruption that caused the removal of Sousa but did have a decent couple of months when Sven's band of mercenaries went on a great run in January/February. That said during that run so did pretty much everyone else, but when this run came to an end and we needed someone to step up he was nowhere to be seen.

Last season he managed to persuade Sven that he was actually Javi Alonso and should play the deep lying playmaker role. His attempts at this were laughable, genuinely funny and were instrumental in screwing up our season and getting Sven the sack. NFP returned and the rest of the season was a write off with Wellens one of our least effective players.

That is what I saw and can't understand why other people see it so differently....... :dunno:

(Sorry, probably in the wrong thread)

Wellens has been with us for just three seasons, coming in at the start of our playoff season.

That season he was a part of a team that overachieved due to a cast iron team spirit and a tough, no nonsense approach. Wellens played a part in this, but a fairly modest one, he was bought to replace Oakley but was so average that NFP had to bring him, Oakley, back to help him out.

Second season he was instrumental in the disruption that caused the removal of Sousa but did have a decent couple of months when Sven's band of mercenaries went on a great run in January/February. That said during that run so did pretty much everyone else, but when this run came to an end and we needed someone to step up he was nowhere to be seen.

Last season he managed to persuade Sven that he was actually Javi Alonso and should play the deep lying playmaker role. His attempts at this were laughable, genuinely funny and were instrumental in screwing up our season and getting Sven the sack. NFP returned and the rest of the season was a write off with Wellens one of our least effective players.

That is what I saw and can't understand why other people see it so differently....... :dunno:

(Sorry, probably in the wrong thread)

Oooooh you hypocrite...

We had this argument tons of times last season. I said I didn't think last seasons squad had enough quality and you constantly argued saying that we had but the formation was wrong!!!

This seasons squad has better quality. No doubt in my mind. And it's making a difference.

Oooooh you hypocrite...

We had this argument tons of times last season. I said I didn't think last seasons squad had enough quality and you constantly argued saying that we had but the formation was wrong!!!

This seasons squad has better quality. No doubt in my mind. And it's making a difference.

it's all relative Col.

Those discussions took place in the early part of the season when Sven had Fernandez, a fit Andy King and others available. If you recall I was hammering on about setting up with those 2 as holding midfield players looking after the ball, Gallagher in the hole and Nugent up front. Not so good in the wide positions but a strong spine that meant that we really should have done far better than we did (and all without 'you know who')...... :thumbup:

Sadly never happened and after the second coming the sense of simply marking time was so palpable that I actually gave up and stopped going, I'm sure you remember.... ;)

The current squad is clearly far better than last season and I am a great believer in getting the best from what you have, which is why I never supported the calls for another defensive, or for that matter attacking midfielder, preferring to just go with what we had,

Knockaert has been the surprise package, making a big difference but I remain convinced that Marshall would have done well in the same role, especially given the support from central midfield and the rest of the side.

I never thought last years side could be automatic promotion contenders whereas, properly set up, this years side could be...... :scarf:

• 3 weeks later...

Archived