Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Year Of The Fox

Favourite/Best Drummer

Just seen this. Richest drummers list.

01 Ringo Starr (The Beatles, $300 million)

02 Phil Collins (Solo/Genesis, $250 million)

03 Dave Grohl (Nirvana/Foo Fighters, $225 million)

04 Don Henley (The Eagles, $200 million)

05 Lars Ulrich (Metallica, $175 million)

06 Charlie Watts (The Rolling Stones, $160 million)

07 Larry Mullen, Jr. (U2, $150 million)

08 Roger Taylor (Queen, $105 million)

09 Joey Kramer (Aerosmith, $100 million)

10 Chad Smith (Red Hot Chili Peppers, $90 million)

11 Travis Barker (Blink-182, $85 million)

12 Stewart Copeland (The Police, $80 million)

13 Alex Van Halen (Van Halen, $75 million)

14 Nick Mason (Pink Floyd, $75 million)

15 Tommy Lee (Motley Crue, $70 million)

16 Bill Ward (Black Sabbath, $65 million)

17 Jon Fishman (Phish, $60 million)

18 Carter Beauford (Dave Matthews Band, $55 million)

19 Rick Allen (Def Leppard, $50 million)

20 Tre Cool (Green Day, $45 million)

21 Danny Carey (Tool, $40 million)

22 Tico Torres (Bon Jovi, $40 million)

23 Max Weinberg (Bruce Springsteen And The E Street Band/Conan O’Brien, $35 million)

24 Mickey Hart (The Grateful Dead, $30 million)

25 Bill Kreutzmann (The Grateful Dead, $25 million)

26 Neil Peart (Rush, $22 million)

27 Taylor Hawkins (Foo Fighters, $20 million)

28 ?uestlove (The Roots, $16 million)

29 Steven Adler (Guns N’ Roses, $15 million)

30 Mick Fleetwood (Fleetwood Mac, $8.5 million)

Dave Grohl

Definitely one of my favourites - not one for showboating, just generally great and has quite an addictive sound. Added bonuses are he's also a great singer, songwriter, guitarist and all-round nice guy

Other favourites would be:

Topper Headon - great versatility, never missed a beat. Able to make even the simplest beats sound his own.

John Bonham - the undisputable god of modern drummers, and no-one else before or since has managed to hammer home a rhythm as distinctively as Bonham.

Stewart Copeland - I saw him playing standing up once, harder than it looks! Also very slick, and great all-round ability.

Keith Moon - properly mental arms.

I also feel the need to list my least favourite high profile drummers too. These would be:

Lars Ulrich - if you've ever seen him play live (and you have any sense of rhythm), you'll know. Absolutely terrible timing, tempo wavers like nobody's business.

Travis Barker - my mind boggles as to why he is mentioned so often in discussions about "great" drummers. He is good, but nothing special. There are plenty of other "fast" drummers who are far more capable than Barker. I think people just like his face and tattoos, which shouldn't come into it.

Rick Allen - if you can play the drums, try playing one-handed. It's nowhere near as hard as it looks.

Carl Palmer - I saw him at a drum workshop, and he tried to show a group of people how to play like John Bonham. He did this by playing a beat he was already playing, in the style of Carl Palmer. He then wrapped up the dismal display and tried to flog his solo CDs.

And anyone who thinks playing a double-pedal at 120bpm constant is the sign of a good drummer should have their ear drums pierced with a cocktail stick.

Just seen this. Richest drummers list.

01 Ringo Starr (The Beatles, $300 million)

02 Phil Collins (Solo/Genesis, $250 million)

03 Dave Grohl (Nirvana/Foo Fighters, $225 million)

04 Don Henley (The Eagles, $200 million)

05 Lars Ulrich (Metallica, $175 million)

06 Charlie Watts (The Rolling Stones, $160 million)

07 Larry Mullen, Jr. (U2, $150 million)

08 Roger Taylor (Queen, $105 million)

09 Joey Kramer (Aerosmith, $100 million)

10 Chad Smith (Red Hot Chili Peppers, $90 million)

11 Travis Barker (Blink-182, $85 million)

12 Stewart Copeland (The Police, $80 million)

13 Alex Van Halen (Van Halen, $75 million)

14 Nick Mason (Pink Floyd, $75 million)

15 Tommy Lee (Motley Crue, $70 million)

16 Bill Ward (Black Sabbath, $65 million)

17 Jon Fishman (Phish, $60 million)

18 Carter Beauford (Dave Matthews Band, $55 million)

19 Rick Allen (Def Leppard, $50 million)

20 Tre Cool (Green Day, $45 million)

21 Danny Carey (Tool, $40 million)

22 Tico Torres (Bon Jovi, $40 million)

23 Max Weinberg (Bruce Springsteen And The E Street Band/Conan O’Brien, $35 million)

24 Mickey Hart (The Grateful Dead, $30 million)

25 Bill Kreutzmann (The Grateful Dead, $25 million)

26 Neil Peart (Rush, $22 million)

27 Taylor Hawkins (Foo Fighters, $20 million)

28 ?uestlove (The Roots, $16 million)

29 Steven Adler (Guns N’ Roses, $15 million)

30 Mick Fleetwood (Fleetwood Mac, $8.5 million)

To think it could have been $100 million

:ph34r:

Don't know much about Dave Grohl, but the only drumming I've heard by him is in Nirvana, and even I can play Smells Like Teen Spirit!

Don't get me wrong I'm very aware that being a good drummer is not just about being fast, but Barker for me has it all. Songs like first date are not only very fast but also pretty technical too if you overlook the basicness of the rest of the song, catchy though it is

Don't know much about Dave Grohl, but the only drumming I've heard by him is in Nirvana, and even I can play Smells Like Teen Spirit!

Don't get me wrong I'm very aware that being a good drummer is not just about being fast, but Barker for me has it all. Songs like first date are not only very fast but also pretty technical too if you overlook the basicness of the rest of the song, catchy though it is

His drumming on their self titled is really impressive, especially "the fallen interlude"

Think it was Clive Deamer who used to play for a variety of people including Portishead and Roni Size was always particularly impressive to me. Very versatile drummer.

Other personal favourites include obviously Bonham, Jimmy Chamberlain, Dave Grohl and Eric Kretz from Stone Temple Pilots.

Could go on and on but they're a few personal favourites.

He drummed for Nirvana from Nevermind onwards, but I'm pretty sure he recorded the entire Foo Fighters (self titled) album himself, plus he's done work with other bands like Queens of the Stone Age, Them Crooked Vultures, etc. If I'm not mistaken he was the drummer for Songs For The Deaf.

Grohl's good because his drumming tends to enhance the song, as opposed to just provide the rhythm. A drummer doesn't have to be a technical wizard to be great, cos if they write stuff that fits brilliantly then that's all that really matters. In Bloom is a great example of a not particularly difficult or technical drum track, but would the intro/choruses be anywhere as near as powerful if he was just playing a straight beat?

Bonus QOTSA. Well known song, perhaps underappreciated drum track:

Lars Ulrich, Metallica

Joey Jordison, Slipknot, Korn & Rob Zombie

Ronnie Vannucci, Killers - not a fan of their music especially but this guy can play.

Dave Grohl has to be up there in the top half as does Stephen Morris, Joy Division & New Order, Chilli Peppers Chad Smith,

And hell, even Phil Collins might deserve a mention here despite it making me clench as I type.

Guest BlueBrett

I've wanted a drum kit for years and then my sister moves into a new place yesterday and the girl who lives there is just giving one away! Going round to pick it up later. Ecstatic :D

Archived