Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
purpleronnie

Safe Standing - Support the Early Day motion

What is the difference between a terraced area and a safe standing area? (or what will be the difference?).

The people who want to stand in these safe standing areas, I guarantee, will want to go to the pub before the game. It's that the doesn't make it safe for starters. I'm pretty sure that half of the people stood around near me at Posh on Saturday were drunk, it's no wonder we see our own fans getting into fights between themselves (sad to see like).

(Not that I'm against the idea).

What is the difference between a terraced area and a safe standing area? (or what will be the difference?).

The people who want to stand in these safe standing areas, I guarantee, will want to go to the pub before the game. It's that the doesn't make it safe for starters. I'm pretty sure that half of the people stood around near me at Posh on Saturday were drunk, it's no wonder we see our own fans getting into fights between themselves (sad to see like).

(Not that I'm against the idea).

It's been gone over so many times on this forum I have half a mind to give you a smack instead of answering your question. Luckily for you this is the internet and physical contact is not yet possible, so the latter will have to suffice.

Safe standing is allocated standing, with bars dividing tiered rows of standers - it's basically no different from the seating system except that you stand up.

It's been gone over so many times on this forum I have half a mind to give you a smack instead of answering your question. Luckily for you this is the internet and physical contact is not yet possible, so the latter will have to suffice.

Safe standing is allocated standing, with bars dividing tiered rows of standers - it's basically no different from the seating system except that you stand up.

I didn't want to go through 18 pages of this thread, although I did look back two pages. If you're feeling physical, release you anger by removing that little cable with an RJ45 attached to it :thumbup:

I didn't want to go through 18 pages of this thread, although I did look back two pages. If you're feeling physical, release you anger by removing that little cable with an RJ45 attached to it :thumbup:

There are continuous barriers on every row the length of th stand so no chance of surging or crushing, you are allocated a seat space which is locked up so overcrowding is avoided. Takes out all the problems that can be caused by an open terrace with a few random barriers.

• 3 weeks later...

I can't personally ever see standing area's coming back, so called safe or not. Whilst I didn't go personally, there were a number of supporters complaining about the conditions away at Peterborough recently. Some blamed the fact that there were too many fans in the actual standing area and some said that it was more to do with the fact that fans had tended to congregate at the front making that area crowded but leaving plenty of room at the back. I suppose the latter would be my worry as whilst there may be individual allocated areas I don't think the authorities can afford to trust fans to abide by them. To police it with stewards would be impossible as they are given little or no respect already as they have very little in the way of powers compared to the police. Police officers themselves would cost far too much.

I can't personally ever see standing area's coming back, so called safe or not. Whilst I didn't go personally, there were a number of supporters complaining about the conditions away at Peterborough recently. Some blamed the fact that there were too many fans in the actual standing area and some said that it was more to do with the fact that fans had tended to congregate at the front making that area crowded but leaving plenty of room at the back. I suppose the latter would be my worry as whilst there may be individual allocated areas I don't think the authorities can afford to trust fans to abide by them. To police it with stewards would be impossible as they are given little or no respect already as they have very little in the way of powers compared to the police. Police officers themselves would cost far too much.

Well they have the powers to throw fans out and report them to the police, so I don't know what you're talking about.

Reading your comment makes me think you haven't really done any research into rail seats. If fans were able to crowd all at the front instead of in their proper area in safe-standing areas there's nothing to stop them doing it in seated areas as well. You seem to be suggesting that there is a huge difference in their structure when there really isn't. Safe-standing areas are far more like seated areas than terraces.

You should also bare in mind that most people are reasonable enough to know when there's no room on a row. Are you suggesting we shouldn't have safe-standing because there are a small minority of thickos around?

Edited by Kitchandro
  • Like 1

Well they have the powers to throw fans out and report them to the police, so I don't know what you're talking about.

Reading your comment makes me think you haven't really done any research into rail seats. If fans were able to crowd all at the front instead of in their proper area in safe-standing areas there's nothing to stop them doing it in seated areas as well. You seem to be suggesting that there is a huge difference in their structure when there really isn't. Safe-standing areas are far more like seated areas than terraces.

You should also bare in mind that most people are reasonable enough to know when there's no room on a row. Are you suggesting we shouldn't have safe-standing because there are a small minority of thickos around?

You make a good point in fairness regarding perhaps my lack of knowledge about safe standing area and perhaps I should do a little more research agreed. My point re stewards however is that whilst I know they have the powers to eject fans and do at times, they don't have the presence as that of a police officer. Fans take far more liberties with stewards than they would dare to with the police, yet it would be stewards that would be responsible for the policing of any new arrangements. For example, like it or not, at the moment fans are supposed to sit in their seats but we only have to look at away crowds to see that they don't and you can see rows of people standing (not just the odd thicko). Stewards appear unable to control crowds in these situations and are largely ignored, it would possibly be different I suppose if a group of police officers started to enforce the law as the consequences of ignoring a copper are perhaps more thought provoking to an individual. Yet if one of these aforementioned fans that have been standing up have on the odd occasion been ejected they start whining as if they are hard done by. I would concede however, albeit I'm not obviously in possession of all the facts, that even a safe standing area may be preferable or safer than people standing up in a seated area with the inherrent dangers. If the powers that be however see that at present fans appear unwilling to abide by the current rules they are perhaps less likely to put their neck on the block to trust them in a new venture. Perhaps a clampdown on current offenders now may help, though I know I won't be popular for suggesting that.

You make a good point in fairness regarding perhaps my lack of knowledge about safe standing area and perhaps I should do a little more research agreed. My point re stewards however is that whilst I know they have the powers to eject fans and do at times, they don't have the presence as that of a police officer. Fans take far more liberties with stewards than they would dare to with the police, yet it would be stewards that would be responsible for the policing of any new arrangements. For example, like it or not, at the moment fans are supposed to sit in their seats but we only have to look at away crowds to see that they don't and you can see rows of people standing (not just the odd thicko). Stewards appear unable to control crowds in these situations and are largely ignored, it would possibly be different I suppose if a group of police officers started to enforce the law as the consequences of ignoring a copper are perhaps more thought provoking to an individual. Yet if one of these aforementioned fans that have been standing up have on the odd occasion been ejected they start whining as if they are hard done by. I would concede however, albeit I'm not obviously in possession of all the facts, that even a safe standing area may be preferable or safer than people standing up in a seated area with the inherrent dangers. If the powers that be however see that at present fans appear unwilling to abide by the current rules they are perhaps less likely to put their neck on the block to trust them in a new venture. Perhaps a clampdown on current offenders now may help, though I know I won't be popular for suggesting that.

But that's the point isn't it? people want to stand, and do stand regardless, if they were given standing areas they'd be allowed to and everyone would be happy.

In those away sections (and areas of the home ones) people do not all congregate at the front, they spread out. I'm not really sure what problems you invision the steward's having? :dunno:

Like I say, people are generally reasonable in that sense, they're not all going to pile up on the front rwo just because seats have been replaced with rail seats. People stand up in seated sections because there is no good reason not to.

Reply from my MP regarding safe standing!

Dear Mr Sharp,

Thank you for your recent email about re-introducing standing into football stadia.

First of all, I am really sorry it’s taken me so long to reply. I receive a large number of letters and emails from my constituents and it takes me a while to go through them all personally.

I completely understand that you have strong feelings about this issue, and I agree that a sensible discussion on the subject is required. This needs to take into account the views and evidence from supporters, football clubs, the police and governing bodies.

Many people say that allowing standing areas would make watching football matches more enjoyable and that it is possible to do this safely.

However, others question whether standing areas really can be safe and argue that systems in used other countries have not been properly assessed within the context of the English game.

There are also concerns that having standing areas would reduce the amount of space for supporters with children or elderly relatives. I would want to ensure that any changes made do not discourage women, families, and older supporters from enjoying football matches too.

We need a full and frank debate about this issue, and I am very grateful to you for letting me know your views!

As a member of the Shadow Cabinet I’m afraid I cannot sign EDMs, but I will certainly raise this issue on your behalf directly with the Minister responsible, and I will let you know when I have his reply.

In the meantime, if you have any further questions about this or any other issue, please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Thank you for taking the time to contact me.

Yours sincerely,

Liz Kendall

Member of Parliament for Leicester West

Reply from my MP regarding safe standing!

Dear Mr Sharp,

Thank you for your recent email about re-introducing standing into football stadia.

First of all, I am really sorry it’s taken me so long to reply. I receive a large number of letters and emails from my constituents and it takes me a while to go through them all personally.

I completely understand that you have strong feelings about this issue, and I agree that a sensible discussion on the subject is required. This needs to take into account the views and evidence from supporters, football clubs, the police and governing bodies.

Many people say that allowing standing areas would make watching football matches more enjoyable and that it is possible to do this safely.

However, others question whether standing areas really can be safe and argue that systems in used other countries have not been properly assessed within the context of the English game.

There are also concerns that having standing areas would reduce the amount of space for supporters with children or elderly relatives. I would want to ensure that any changes made do not discourage women, families, and older supporters from enjoying football matches too.

We need a full and frank debate about this issue, and I am very grateful to you for letting me know your views!

As a member of the Shadow Cabinet I’m afraid I cannot sign EDMs, but I will certainly raise this issue on your behalf directly with the Minister responsible, and I will let you know when I have his reply.

In the meantime, if you have any further questions about this or any other issue, please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Thank you for taking the time to contact me.

Yours sincerely,

Liz Kendall

Member of Parliament for Leicester West

Finger crossed.........

• 3 weeks later...

The argument that women and children would somehow be excluded by grounds with safe standing areas is nothing but piffle.

Firstly, as the article states, 85% of womenm support the choice to sit or stand. This leads me neatly on to my second point that three out of the four stands at grounds would typically be all-seater, so fans who preferred to sit would be able to do so easily.

In fact, you could argue the choice would attract more women and children as they'd be able to sit without their view being baulked by standers or subjected to obscene chants.