Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
iateseagulls

we love you

They had a good day yesterday and we had a bad one.

Let's not get too carried away with our analysis. We have decent, loyal fans who stick by the team and make an effort to get an atmosphere going.

Let's look forwards to business as usual against Watford and then Forest.

Hallelujah ffs the overreaction on here sometimes Deucallion :blush:

I think you missed these from that post.

Pff. Can't you see that what he was really doing was creating a clever pastiche of Modernist narrative methods in his post, so as to undermine our complacent assumptions about the role and function of internet football forums and their profound inability to communicate in memesis our collective experience of the football Act? It's a Finnegan's Wake of our times, a post-Brit Pop Promethean cry of the Internet age, etc...

Anyway. As for fans copying chants begun at other clubs...surely it was ever thus? It doesn't seem right to conclude that the fans of most clubs in England simultaneously started singing variants of 'When the xxx go marching in', 'I'm xxx till I die', 'Hark now hear the xxx sing', etc...all of the 'classic' football chants will have spread, at some point in time, by fans 'nicking' them off other fans when they heard them singing them at their ground. The only difference these days is that instead of English fans taking the tunes of famous English hymns, anthems and pop songs (for the most part, anyway) as the raw material for new chants, we are (because we have the Internet and Youtube) also copying stuff from abroad...like this 'We Love You' thing.

In fact, in comparison with most fans that come down Filbert Way, I actually think Leicester fans are pretty creative. Our problem is that most new 'original' songs do not spread beyond the small hardcore of fans that come up with them, or they are concerned with a particular player and thus die off when he retires/leaves the club...

Well exactly that.

Also, You'll Never Walk Alone is a much better anthem than When Your Smiling. First of all it is slow. Even the most tonally challenged (such as me) can can keep up with it. Apart from being fast, When Your Smiling is also complicated and has too many words. Maybe in the old Kop it was possible for people to pick it up but in the wide open spaces of the King Power Stadium it is just not going to happen.

We need big, simple songs at the KP.

We've tried embracing all these simple modern songs but they've actually made the atmosphere worse.

Yes, We love you is good at times, it does get more fans involved than any other chant. But we can't sing that for 90 minutes can we? The obssession with that chant and refusal to be traditional has actually killed off all the other chants. The lack of variety is a hinderance.

As I've said plenty of times, WYS could be the best anthem in the country if we sung it properly with a bit of passion, but nobody gives a shit. We just dont' have many passionate fans. We've got plenty of loyal ones, but not many passionate ones.

There are plenty of old songs we've just abandoned and the atmosphere has suffered as a result, and there's no real excuse for it. It's nothing to do with the stadium, it's our fault.

Really, an opposition fan comes on here in a pleasant manner, showing his appreciation and a load of you just act like twats. No wonder people think we're a load of berks.

Was he being pleasant? I couldn't tell as it was difficult to read.

Should there not be a full stop at the end of your out ?

Perhaps, or was I finished writing? I think you'll fnd that the ',' should actually be a ';' but it wasn't so I guess we'll all just have move on with our lives... :(

Pff. Can't you see that what he was really doing was creating a clever pastiche of Modernist narrative methods in his post, so as to undermine our complacent assumptions about the role and function of internet football forums and their profound inability to communicate in memesis our collective experience of the football Act? It's a Finnegan's Wake of our times, a post-Brit Pop Promethean cry of the Internet age, etc...

Anyway. As for fans copying chants begun at other clubs...surely it was ever thus? It doesn't seem right to conclude that the fans of most clubs in England simultaneously started singing variants of 'When the xxx go marching in', 'I'm xxx till I die', 'Hark now hear the xxx sing', etc...all of the 'classic' football chants will have spread, at some point in time, by fans 'nicking' them off other fans when they heard them singing them at their ground. The only difference these days is that instead of English fans taking the tunes of famous English hymns, anthems and pop songs (for the most part, anyway) as the raw material for new chants, we are (because we have the Internet and Youtube) also copying stuff from abroad...like this 'We Love You' thing.

In fact, in comparison with most fans that come down Filbert Way, I actually think Leicester fans are pretty creative. Our problem is that most new 'original' songs do not spread beyond the small hardcore of fans that come up with them, or they are concerned with a particular player and thus die off when he retires/leaves the club...

We are far from creative, its the same shit different player every season and once in a blue moon something new will come along

Hallelujah ffs the overreaction on here sometimes Deucallion :blush:

Well I do understand how upset people get when we lose. I feel ridiculously upset, especially if we lose at home. But...you have to force yourself to be rational and take a step back, or else you will be an emotional wreck due to going to a football match. I'm not going to do that to myself...anymore! ;)

We've tried embracing all these simple modern songs but they've actually made the atmosphere worse.

Yes, We love you is good at times, it does get more fans involved than any other chant. But we can't sing that for 90 minutes can we? The obssession with that chant and refusal to be traditional has actually killed off all the other chants. The lack of variety is a hinderance.

As I've said plenty of times, WYS could be the best anthem in the country if we sung it properly with a bit of passion, but nobody gives a shit. We just dont' have many passionate fans. We've got plenty of loyal ones, but not many passionate ones.

There are plenty of old songs we've just abandoned and the atmosphere has suffered as a result, and there's no real excuse for it. It's nothing to do with the stadium, it's our fault.

I'm not sure WYS is capable of being the anthem you want it to be. I've never actually liked it that much. I suspect I'm not alone. As I've said before, it is too fast, it has too many words and it is difficult to join in with. I used to go in the Kop at Filbert Street and I tried to sing it but was too useless to. I bet I'm not the only person to think like this. If people like it and want to keep the tradition going then that is fine by me, but I suspect they are banging their heads against a brick wall hoping it will catch on in the way they want it to.

It is a shame the more traditional songs don't get more of a look in, although not at the expense of contemporary songs such as WLY. Palace were pretty impressive yesterday and I wonder whether we could learn anything from them. Their support yesterday wasn't spontaneous, they put effort into organising it. I wonder whether there is anything we could learn from them?

Although, one problem we have is the size of the stadium. L1 seems very distant from the Kop, it is almost like they exist in isolation within the same stadium. This could be why We Love You is so much more popular than WYS.

On another point, the song which really blows me away is Dale Calvese or whatever it is called. It sounds absolutely fantastic and fills the stadium with noise. It can also be sung continually as it does not have a natural end. But...I think it was a mistake to make it just about Ben Marshall. It means our best song (in my opinion) can only be rolled out if Ben Marshall is on the pitch.

I think it is much bigger than any one player.

Well I do understand how upset people get when we lose. I feel ridiculously upset, especially if we lose at home. But...you have to force yourself to be rational and take a step back, or else you will be an emotional wreck due to going to a football match. I'm not going to do that to myself...anymore! ;)

I'm not sure WYS is capable of being the anthem you want it to be. I've never actually liked it that much. I suspect I'm not alone. As I've said before, it is too fast, it has too many words and it is difficult to join in with. I used to go in the Kop at Filbert Street and I tried to sing it but was too useless to. I bet I'm not the only person to think like this. If people like it and want to keep the tradition going then that is fine by me, but I suspect they are banging their heads against a brick wall hoping it will catch on in the way they want it to.

It is a shame the more traditional songs don't get more of a look in, although not at the expense of contemporary songs such as WLY. Palace were pretty impressive yesterday and I wonder whether we could learn anything from them. Their support yesterday wasn't spontaneous, they put effort into organising it. I wonder whether there is anything we could learn from them?

Although, one problem we have is the size of the stadium. L1 seems very distant from the Kop, it is almost like they exist in isolation within the same stadium. This could be why We Love You is so much more popular than WYS.

On another point, the song which really blows me away is Dale Calvese or whatever it is called. It sounds absolutely fantastic and fills the stadium with noise. It can also be sung continually as it does not have a natural end. But...I think it was a mistake to make it just about Ben Marshall. It means our best song (in my opinion) can only be rolled out if Ben Marshall is on the pitch.

I was in K block last season and it wasn't just about Ben Marshall, but then about 10 people at the back kept shouting his name in the middle of the song and it caught on :thumbdown:

I was in K block last season and it wasn't just about Ben Marshall, but then about 10 people at the back kept shouting his name in the middle of the song and it caught on :thumbdown:

Dale Calvese has genuine potential to be our anthem I reckon...just lose the Ben Marshall.

It could be sung for 90 minutes non-stop and for me it is the best thing we sing. Even better, there are no words!

I know I''m banging my head against a brick wall.

But the point still stands that we've never sung it properly. We don't, and probably never have, sung it in tune. It's not that difficult to learn in terms of words, there are other

anthems with more words in, but the fact it's sung too fast is why it struggles to catch on. It will never be capable of being a great anthem with unimaginative, dull, passionless fans, that is the big issue.

It seems though that people can't be arsed to learn anything with more than about 8 words in it, WYS isn't the only old tune which has fallen by the wayside. I think this is partly because there aren't enough of the older lot in there who are willing to keep singing them until they catch on.

I've no problem with We Love You or the Ben Marshall song on there own, but we've become too reliant on them, they're about the only chants more than 15 people sing now. They were introduced to improve the atmosphere and short term it worked, but in the long term it's clearly made it worse on the whole, we should have built on the success of those songs but we haven't.

I don't think there's much to learn from Palace, partly because they were at an away game (how much organising can you do away?) and also because I don't think they were that special. There are far better groups of fans vocally than them. Don't be fooled by the fact we were so poor, that doesn't make them special. They were decent, but I've seen far better in that end.

I don't see what anyone can do if there's just no passion from people around you. What can you do to organise those people? There were plenty of people standing around yesterday, they're obviously aware where our supposed singing section is, but they didn't want to sing. Other than asking people who want to sing to congregate in the same area of the ground, what can you do? There are individuals which start chants off, but very few are catching on.

I'm not accepting the stadium as an excuse either. I've been involved in several quality atmosphere's at our ground, when our fans have been up for it. And there is a very small amount of people singing in the Kop, there are enough standing in L, K and J to create a decent atmosphere.

The bottom line is that the passion and desire to sing loudly, to sing frequently and to sing a variety of songs is not there..

Dale Calvese has genuine potential to be our anthem I reckon...just lose the Ben Marshall.

It could be sung for 90 minutes non-stop and for me it is the best thing we sing. Even better, there are no words!

It's not 'our' anthem though, and it never will be. WYS is our anthem, whether we sing it well or not.

Creating/stealing/singing new chants isn't tinpot, but trying to adopt them as the club anthem is.

We've butchered it as well. It's not just the Ben Marshall part, the whole thing is done at a ridiculous speed sometimes, particularly at away games. Sadly I think it needs the drum.

As for the old songs, as a younger fan (I'm 25) for me there's nothing more embarrassing/cringeworthy than listening to some pissed-up 50 year olds trying to start up some old songs that nobody knows or sings any more. The reason nobody sings them anymore is because half of them seem to be about caving the opposition fans' heads in.

We've butchered it as well. It's not just the Ben Marshall part, the whole thing is done at a ridiculous speed sometimes, particularly at away games. Sadly I think it needs the drum.

As for the old songs, as a younger fan (I'm 25) for me there's nothing more embarrassing/cringeworthy than listening to some pissed-up 50 year olds trying to start up some old songs that nobody knows or sings any more. The reason nobody sings them anymore is because half of them seem to be about caving the opposition fans' heads in.

i started going leicester games at the age of 7 i had to learn the songs as others should do, just because there young it don't stop them learning!!

I totaly agree about doing the Dale Cavese chant,recently whilst on holiday in Italy i went to see a 5 a side game between two local towns.Only about 250 fans there but the home set were sining this and was amazing.So easy to sing and because you go from four bars of whoas(sorry dont know the technical term) to four bars of La La's it doesnt seem to get boring.Its been mentioned on here loads i know so i wont hold my breath,but i just think it would be great for a few thousand of us to belt out,maybe away from home as more people tend to loosen up.

PS our Ben Marshall song is not the Dale Cavese.

Hi all,

Palace fan here would like to take issue with all the lcfc fans I met in the pubs after the game. Bloody headache this morning, Did you have to make me drink so much.

Seriously though, never felt so welcome at away ground, before and after a match. Don' t expect it during, however your stewards and police were superb.

Sing whatever makes you happy and helps your team. Good luck for rest of season though (sincerely ) apart from the return.

thanks for a wonderful day.

Archived